J Russell Arrested

oxscott

from oakland newspaper

Former Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell gets arrested. Not totally surprising, first offense or not.

Busted for possessing codeine syrup. Again, not stunning, considering rumors of such use accompanied his dumbfounding days (and nights) with the Raiders.

His health concerns are no longer limited to questions of whether he is packing 300 pounds. Now everyone has a legitimate reason to wonder what goes into that overpaid frame. Now everyone should wonder if more comes out of this bust (drug bust, not draft bust) than a codeine-syrup stash.

Whispers about his lifestyle grew louder the worse he played in Oakland. And his play was legacy-defining bad during his 2009 farewell tour.

Sightings of him in nightclubs were not as alarming as rumors of him allegedly using "purple drank," a popular concoction in Russell's native South where prescription codeine syrup is mixed with soda and candy.

This would not be a harmless habit. Is it addiction?

one Houston narcotics officer noted that it can be a harder addiction to break than marijuana, cocaine or heroin.

"The high is not a euphoric high where you would think you'd be bouncing off the walls," officer John Kowal said in that "Outside The Lines" report. "It is more of a mellow, 'Hey, I'm going to take-the-edge-off type high and I'm going to lay back, I'm going to kick back, I'm just going to sip some syrup and everything is going to be right with the world.' "

Mellow? Russell? Absolutely. Always.

I dont feel the least bit sorry for him.

Russell is the poster child for why big money rookie contracts are a mistake. Going forward, all the guys busting hump actually worth the money this fool received should give him a swift boot in his sizzurp axx.

part of me wants to laugh at someone who could have had it all and pissed it away.

part of me wants to cry because another athlete throws it all away and will end up being just another bum who crashed and burned.

Amazing how a human being can have the world by the balls and then instantly lose it all. Sad situation.

agree he's a loser and a bum but he made almost $40 mill over the past 3 years so he's far from "losing it all." in fact, he obviously doesn't care that much about football at all. he made his money, he won't get jail time for this, he'll be free to sit around and drink this crap with his homies for the next 10 years... which is probably around when he'll run out of money because you know he's not investing in mutual funds. he's actually living his dream lifestyle - no need to work, ghetto fabulous with his buddies from the hood, high roller. we are watching to next MC hammer before our eyes. his friends will use him and then discard him when the gravy runs out. is there any doubt he'll be broke in 10 years or less? i want jamarcus in the death pool.

agree he's a loser and a bum but he made almost $40 mill over the past 3 years so he's far from "losing it all." in fact, he obviously doesn't care that much about football at all. he made his money, he won't get jail time for this, he'll be free to sit around and drink this crap with his homies for the next 10 years...

I've seen articles on Pro Football Talk about JaMarcus's next opportunity being in the CFL or the UFL, and I just don't get it. Why would this kid play in a lesser league for chump change when he's already loaded and obviously doesn't give a crap about football?

His legacy will be the advent of a rookie wage scale in the NFL, not much more.

I've seen articles on Pro Football Talk about JaMarcus's next opportunity being in the CFL or the UFL, and I just don't get it. Why would this kid play in a lesser league for chump change when he's already loaded and obviously doesn't give a crap about football?

ego??

His legacy will be the advent of a rookie wage scale in the NFL, not much more.

pretty much. can't see him winning the Chad Pennington Award any time soon.

ego??

ego can cut both ways - want to play in CFL and prove he can make it back to NFL or say "FU" to the CFL because he thinks it is beneath him. i'm guessing the latter from what i've seen out of this guy.

In case it wasn't obvious.

BY MANISH MEHTA

JaMarcus Russell effectively eliminated himself from becoming a Jet any time this millennium with his latest bonehead move. The free agent quarterback was arrested at his Alabama home today for possession of a controlled substance during a police investigation.

The former Raiders signal caller was busted for codeine syrup, which can be mixed with soda to create

Archived