Sign in to follow this  
flgreen

The Leon factor: Cimini

i hope i don't get in a car accident and become a vegetable. maybe i should hold out at my job until my boss gives me a long term deal with some guaranteed cash.

i hope i don't get in a car accident and become a vegetable. maybe i should hold out at my job until my boss gives me a long term deal with some guaranteed cash.

Would it be hard for him to replace you?

Would it be hard for him to replace you?

she and i'd like to think so. plus guaranteeing my salary would cost peanuts compared to an NFL player's. i'm going to cry and complain about lack of security for a long term deal.

Great comparision.

Great comparision.

leon had longterm security. but he stuck his nose up at the deal. i don't like what happened to his leg but he made his bed and i have no sympathy that he's now sleeping in it. everyone who says they don't blame players for getting every dime they can - here is the ugly flipside to that equation. you have to take the good with the bad.

leon had longterm security. but he stuck his nose up at the deal. i don't like what happened to his leg but he made his bed and i have no sympathy that he's now sleeping in it. everyone who says they don't blame players for getting every dime they can - here is the ugly flipside to that equation. you have to take the good with the bad.

Leon and his putz agent said that deal we all heard about was never offered.

SO believe what you will but I think if Leon was offered 4.5 million a year if would've jumped all over it. Leon has stated the same thing.

Vegetative states are highly under-rated.

Leon and his putz agent said that deal we all heard about was never offered.

SO believe what you will but I think if Leon was offered 4.5 million a year if would've jumped all over it. Leon has stated the same thing.

sounds like someone trying to rewrite history to make themself seem like less of a dumbazz.

sounds like someone trying to rewrite history to make themself seem like less of a dumbazz.

And the Jets' FO has no motivation to low ball a player? :rolleyes:

i didn't know this:

That Washington, who is earning $535,000 this season in the final year of his contract and is looking for a new deal, makes matters worst. He took out a Lloyds of London insurance policy at the start of the season to protect against injury.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/10/ny_jets_knew_right_away_leon_w.html

anyone know how much it was for and if it paid out (as in was it for season-ending injury or career-ending?)

"what happened to leon" is a cheap bargaining ploy, and not a very good one since it is not news to anyone the NFL is a violent game

:yawn:

David Harris was the first one to admit that what happened to Leon was a huge factor - about a month ago in a NYDN. He hasn't been the one going to the press to negotiate a contract. He hasn't really even spoken much about his contract situation. But he talked about Leon.

Rationalize it all you want, but what happened to Leon was a wake-up call about the Jets FO to a lot of players with impending contract negotiations.

David Harris was the first one to mention what happened to Leon about a month ago in a NYDN. He hasn't been the one going to the press to negotiate a contract. He hasn't really even spoken much about his contract situation. But he mentioned Leon.

Rationalize it all you want, but what happened to Leon was a wake-up call about the Jets FO to a lot of players with impending contract negotiations.

How? Leon turned down a very fair offer thinking he was going to go out and earn more. Leon is responsible for what happened to Leon, no one else. No rationalization, just the facts.

How? Leon turned down a very fair offer thinking he was going to go out and earn more. Leon is responsible for what happened to Leon, no one else. No rationalization, just the facts.

Are you under the impression that Leon was offered 5mil/year by the Jets FO? If you are, I think they have some PSLs to sell you. 50 yard line. It's an investment.

Are you under the impression that Leon was offered 5mil/year by the Jets FO? If you are, I think they have some PSLs to sell you. 50 yard line. It's an investment.

where is the beef? there are dozens of articles saying he was offered 4.5 per. where is the source of your information that he wasn't? what leon or his agent said?

alvin keels' Twitter versus the entire media? not a tough choice to pick who you believe more.

"what happened to leon" is a cheap bargaining ploy, and not a very good one since it is not news to anyone the NFL is a violent game

:yawn:

It's not news to anyone that sex sometimes leads to pregnancy, either, but it's all of a sudden a lot closer to home when your buddy's girlfriend gets knocked up.

Regardless of who offered and/or turned down what, Leon was on track to land himself $ome million$, and his injury resulted in that probably never happening. So sure, players want security after seeing what happened to him. Might result in them being more likely to accept offers they're less than thrilled with, too.

where is the beef? there are dozens of articles saying he was offered 4.5 per. where is the source of your information that he wasn't? what leon or his agent said?

alvin keels' Twitter versus the entire media? not a tough choice to pick who you believe more.

Well Leon himself came out and said no such deal was ever offered.

His agent also said it was just a ploy by the Jets to get the fans on their side.

Who really knows....

'Sources'. Right. 'Sources' also told Adam Schefter that they expected the NFL to punish Braylon Edwards. Leon disputed the 5mil number, and the Jets never went on the record about it. The Jets like to feed anonymous crap to the media to ferret out their media leaks. Kind of like when a 'source' reported that Revis wanted 20mil per year.

'Sources'. Right. 'Sources' also told Adam Schefter that they expected the NFL to punish Braylon Edwards. Leon disputed the 5mil number, and the Jets never went on the record about it. The Jets like to feed anonymous crap to the media to ferret out their media leaks. Kind of like when a 'source' reported that Revis wanted 20mil per year.

let's weigh the evidence:

-On the one hand we have every available media article saying the deal was offered.

-On the other, we have your insistance that because media reports have been wrong in the past they must've been wrong on this. I assume you have no source for your speculation other than leon or keels because you have been unable to produce any.

by any reasonable evaluation of the evidence, it is far more likely he was offered the 4.5 per. i can be convinced but show me the evidence. no amount of mocking those who weigh evidence rationally ("I have some PSLs to sell you!") can subsitute for your inability to bring any evidence to the table at all. you can disagree but mocking those who put evidence over your speculation? now that's just silly.

Well Leon himself came out and said no such deal was ever offered.

His agent also said it was just a ploy by the Jets to get the fans on their side.

Who really knows....

and i told my wife that i was working late and that i didn't go get drunk with my buddies monday night. disregard the fact that i came home at 2am and reeked of bourbon. but hey, i made a self-serving comment so that must be the truth!

Edited by jgb

Are these the same "sources" that are telling ESPN that LeBron is going to Miami even though it makes no sense?

-On the one hand we have every available media article saying the deal was offered.

-On the other, we have your insistance that because media reports have been wrong in the past they must've been wrong on this. I assume you have no source for your speculation other than leon or keels because you have been unable to produce any.

by any reasonable evaluation of the evidence, it is far more likely he was offered the 4.5 per. i can be convinced but show me the evidence. no amount of mocking those who weigh evidence rationally ("I have some PSLs to sell you!") can subsitute for your inability to bring any evidence to the table at all. you can disagree but mocking those who put evidence over your speculation? now that's just silly.

and i told my wife that i was working late and that i didn't go get drunk with my buddies monday night. disregard the fact that i came home at 2am and reeked of bourbon. but hey, i made a self-serving comment so that must be the truth!

Hence the Who really knows comment.

I'm on the side of that deal was never offered. If it was Leon would've taken that in a heartbeat, as he also stated.

^^^^

I remember one media source saying a 'source' said the deal was offered and, as is pretty common these days, a zillion other media sources reporting it and specifically referencing that one media source. Can you find more than one source for the 5mil offer that Leon supposedly got?

Edited by abyzmul

yup that's the only source i could find for the proposition that the contract was never offered - a blog post by a fan. lol ok. notice the "source" is a friend of leon's - again, i know what he and keels said. i just place more faith in someone who doesn't have skin in the game. if this "friend" was so reliable why did he talk to a casual blogger and not NFL.com or ESPN? makes you wonder, hum?

the media would LOVE a story about how the jets lied about offering leon the contract. where is the espn article retracting this one?

There's also some uncertainty about Washington's contract status after he chose to play out the final year of his rookie deal -- worth $535,000 -- rather than accept the Jets' proposed contract extension that included $5 million in guarantees. Washington, who would be a restricted free agent under the current collective bargaining agreement, was looking for about $6 million a year. He sat out the first three weeks of organized team activities before returning in minicamp "in good faith."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4596966

I remember one media source saying a 'source' said the deal was offered and, as is pretty common these days, a zillion other media sources reporting it and specifically referencing that one media source. Can you find more than one source for the 5mil offer that Leon supposedly got?

number one, why should i keep posting article after article when you have posted ZILCH. if you want to convince people, show something to back up your claims that isn't a twitter feed. like i said, i can be convinced because i don't know what happened behind closed doors but you're not giving me much to work with here.

you can look above at my response to MadBacker for just one of the many articles that talks about the extension (notice that it doesn't reference a "source" it states it as fact and there was never a follow-up or retraction about it all being a big lie).

Edited by jgb

number one, why should i keep posting article after article when you have posted ZILCH. if you want to convince people, show something to back up your claims that isn't a twitter feed. like i said, i can be convinced because i don't know what happened behind closed doors but you're not giving me much to work with here.

you can look above at my response to MadBacker for just one of the many articles that talks about the extension (notice that it doesn't reference a "source" it states it as fact and there was never a follow-up or retraction about it all being a big lie).

It's really hard to take this post seriously.

It's really hard to take this post seriously.

i'll take this as a concession. thanks for playing.

ps: you're now up to 10 posts in this thread with nary a link in sight.

Hence the Who really knows comment.

I'm on the side of that deal was never offered. If it was Leon would've taken that in a heartbeat, as he also stated.

^^^^

well you don't really know whether Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492 do you? you just read about it in a history book.

of course you can rarely know anything with 100% certainty unless you see it with your own eyes. notice there are plenty of people who dispute the moon landing.

but reasonable (the operative word) people are able to rationally weigh evidence to come to a reasonable conclusion. that is what i have done. you have based your opinion on speculation and alvin keels' twitter statement which is likely to be a desperate attempt to salvage his already minimal credibility as a legitimate agent.

so hey, you can believe what you want. i've asked for what evidence you've based your opinion on and all i've seen is a fan blog post with an "unnammed source" - exactly the reason the "the jets lied" contingent has rejected the media's reports on the 4.5 mill - because it was also based on "unnamed sources."

i prefer to go with the evidence on this one which is approximately 99% for the validity of the 4.5 per contract. i like those odds.