Lebron to announce decision Thursday Night at 9pm on ESPN

Matt39

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see that a few of the resident Dolphin fans have been active in these threads the last couple of days.

I wonder if any of them have been to a Heat game or even cared about the NBA/Heat prior to the LeBron signing?

Miami: Worst pro sports town in America.

I see that a few of the resident Dolphin fans have been active in these threads the last couple of days.

I wonder if any of them have been to a Heat game or even cared about the NBA/Heat prior to the LeBron signing?

For once we agree! :cheers:

For once we agree! :cheers:

Yep!

If the Dolphins didn't play in the AFCE they would be lucky to sell out a game. When the Jets, Pats & Bills play in Miami the crowd is at least 40% opposing teams fans.

Watching a Heat game in Miami all I see is empty seats. Don't even get me started on the Marlins :bwahaharoll:

Higher mean income levels does not = increased spending on sporting goods

If anything the highest spenders on merchandise are most likely some of the lowest income people... swing by the 'hood" real quick when doing some of your baggy pants research and notice how much clothing is team sports related... then go take a ride through Greenwich CT and tell me how many people are rocking New Era caps with Jerseys.

As a parent of sons who played CYO basketball and youth ice hockey and a guy who played both CYO and roller hockey, if you play hockey you are going to be spending a whole lot more of sports equipment than if you play basketball.

I've been to NHL games in NJ, MSG, Long Island, Hartford and Boston, and NBA games at MSG and NJ. I'm not a sociologist, but it is fair to say that the NHL crowds were generally more enthusiastic than the NBA crowd, with one glaring exception; a Knicks/Nets game in the Meadowlands when the Nets were very good and Jason Kidd took Stephon Marbury apart with relish.

What you can say about the NBA is that the design of the league with the slavish devotion to the cap has sapped a lot of the enthusiasm. Tanking seasons doesn't make for a good product nor an attentive audience. The quality of the game has suffered because salaries mean coaches are basically temps who don't really do much coaching. And about salaries; don't begrudge anyone making good money, but any business that pays Jeroem James, Stephon Marbury, Sebastian Telefair and Eddie Curry millions to sh1t the bed, if they even play, night after night is a lousy product. Now it gets way better in the playoffs. The Thunder/Lakers series was what basketball should be all about, but most regular season games never approach that.

Cavs owner Dan Gilbert is a douche bag. LeBron put the Cavs on the map. He gave them 8 years of his career. He wants to win a championship something he knew would never happen in Cleveland.

Took Jordan 7 years to win it in Chicago...

Lebron is a quitter and would not commit long term basically stopping the Cavs from getting any other big name.

Lebron could not do it the old fashion way, so he is going to try and do it the Xbox way.

If he could not win a title on a 60 win team, or at least have the pride to try he will not win on a team with the depth of a kiddie pool.

Lebron is a quitter and would not commit long term basically stopping the Cavs from getting any other big name.

Lebron could not do it the old fashion way, so he is going to try and do it the Xbox way.

If he could not win a title on a 60 win team, or at least have the pride to try he will not win on a team with the depth of a kiddie pool.

lol

put yourself in his shoes

Pat riley

riley.jpg

south beach

southbeach_mansion.jpg

elite team mates

oly_u_bosh-lebron-wade_412.jpg

or

dan

Dan-Gilbert-Cleveland-Cavaliers-AP-.jpg

cleveland

CLEVELAND20WINTER_2004.jpg

scrubs

act_zydrunas_ilgauskas.jpg

this depth argument is weak

players are calling riley every minute begging to come to south beach right now

Most will tell you that they are lifelong Heat 'fans', which is BS. A lot of people jumped on the bandwagon when they got Shaq, then after the championship they disappeared. Needless to say they are all back plus some new 'fans'.

I think the worst news for Knicks fans in this whole Carney act has been the FACT that Dolan is STILL reaching out and listening to freakin Isiah Thomas

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2010/07/10/2010-07-10_isiah_thomas_new_york_knicks_comeback_recruitment_lebron_james.html

I figure if your a knick fan Isiah Thomas are two of the scariest words in the english language.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/LeBron-James-mural-removed-in-Cleveland-071210

Updated Jul 12, 2010 4:26 PM ET

CLEVELAND (AP)

LeBron James has left the building.

Workers have finished removing a gigantic Nike banner featuring James, a sign that hung on the side of a downtown office building for years and served as a background for the Cleveland Cavaliers' success during the seven years he played for them.

The mural was taken down after James announced he was leaving Cleveland as a free agent to play with fellow superstars Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami. In the hours after James' announcement, some angry Cavaliers fans hurled rocks at the 10-foot-story sign that featured James with his arms outstretched after tossing powder into the air under the heading: ''We Are All Witnesses.''

Nike spokesman KeJuan Wilkins said he did not yet know what the company plans to do with the sign, which hung on the side of the Landmark Office Tower across the street from Quicken Loans Arena, the Cavs' home arena.

Meanwhile, James is still planning to attend his charity bikeathon in Akron on Aug. 7. On Monday, James' publicist, Keith Estabook, said the All-Star intends to participate in the fifth annual ''King for Kids Bikeathon'' event in his hometown.

In the past, James has been joined at the event by Wade and New Orleans guard Chris Paul.

James, who attended good friend Carmelo Anthony's wedding in New York over the weekend, is on vacation, Estabrook said.

Did you catch Lietch's piece in New York last week btw? I thought it was the single best article written on the whole thing.

Leitch's was almost certainly the best perspective on why the whole spectacle was so insulting, but (true to form) he seemed to equivocate a little toward the end, which always bugs the **** out of me. I think the best piece I read overall was Scott Raab's little invective in Esquire/Deadspin, but that may just be because he was pissy when he wrote it and I was pissy when I read it.

I am SO SICK of this Jordan - Lebron comparison in the discussion of whether or not Lebron should have stayed like Jordan did...

When are people going to realize that Jordan made that decision TWENTY YEARS ago, and that it was a different era... The Bulls, when they got Pippen, were a VERY GOOD team that would probably get dismantled by today's Celtics and/or Lakers of today. Back twenty years ago, having 3-4 potential hall of famers on the same team was unheard of. Both the Celtics and Lakers both had that... The Cavs didn't, and were never going to. Lebron and Wade are arguably 2 of the best players in the NBA... And still there's a very good argument to be made that they aren't on the same level as either the Celtics or the Lakers.

Leitch's was almost certainly the best perspective on why the whole spectacle was so insulting, but (true to form) he seemed to equivocate a little toward the end, which always bugs the **** out of me. I think the best piece I read overall was Scott Raab's little invective in Esquire/Deadspin, but that may just be because he was pissy when he wrote it and I was pissy when I read it.

I think I was just a fan of the whole 'we're all dumber for having watched this' angle. Made me kind of proud that I shut the TV off and headed out that night with better things to do, like downing Jameson in Hoboken while I told everyone how much I hated Lebron James.

You may want to think about editing this statement out. It's just horrendously incorrect.

How so? The Bulls had 2... Jordan and Pippen and some good role players (Kukoc, Armstrong, etc). The Jazz had 2... Malone and Stockton and some good role players. The Knicks had 2 potential HOFers in Starks and Ewing, and some good role players. There was just more parity back then. Even the Bulls in their dynasty won so many of their series's in a tight game 7... You didn't have sure-fire HOFers colluding with each other and taking pay cuts to join teams together in order to win championships like we see today. I don't like it, but thats the reality of the NBA Free Agency era. The trend was started a few years ago by LA, taken up by Allen, Pierce, and Garnett joining the Celtics, on to this year with Wade, James, and Bosh...Probably not ending next year either with already rumors of Melo and Paul teaming up together to join a team with some other all-star(s).

It sucks for the basketball purist, but the days where any team that gets lucky with a couple draft picks can be perennial contenders is essentially dead. Now its all about recruiting and buying star players via Free Agency.

How so? The Bulls had 2... Jordan and Pippen and some good role players (Kukoc, Armstrong, etc). The Jazz had 2... Malone and Stockton and some good role players. The Knicks had 2 potential HOFers in Starks and Ewing, and some good role players. There was just more parity back then. Even the Bulls in their dynasty won so many of their series's in a tight game 7... You didn't have sure-fire HOFers colluding with each other and taking pay cuts to join teams together in order to win championships like we see today.

The why is a completely different thing when compared to the what. The list of teams who had 3-4+ HOF'ers leading up to the 90's (and actually a team or two in the 90's as well), is quite extensive, (yes, even after the merger). The Knicks had 6 at one time (technically 7). Like I said, I get your point, but saying it was unheard of simply isn't true.

The why is a completely different thing when compared to the what. The list of teams who had 3-4+ HOF'ers leading up to the 90's (and actually a team or two in the 90's as well), is quite extensive, (yes, even after the merger). The Knicks had 6 at one time (technically 7). Like I said, I get your point, but saying it was unheard of simply isn't true.

Whatever. The point I was making is that back in 1990, the way the NBA was landscaped...Jordan knew all he needed was one more superstar and a few good role players to win some titles. The teams he could have gone too already had another superstar, and he would have been that team's second. However, it was easier for him to stick it out in CHI in hopes of management somehow acquiring another superstar (which they did).

In the case of Lebron James and the CURRENT landscape... The Cavs would need to acquire two superstars without giving up their key role players in order for them to realistically compete with the Celtics and Lakers year-in and year-out. That just wasn't happening.

Having said all that, I obviously understand James's decision to leave CLE, but I HATED the timing and the manner in which he announced his decision. IMO he should have announced at the beginning of FA where he was going...Knowing that as one of the best players in the world, he should be able to attract some other big name FA's to join him. The first day he was allowed to sign, he should have released a press statement saying he has agreed to join the Heat, thanking the Cavs organization and their fans for seven great years. He should have then picked up the phone, called his owner and his teammates explaining the decision in person to them.

The way he did it was utterly selfish and degrading as possible.

I think I was just a fan of the whole 'we're all dumber for having watched this' angle. Made me kind of proud that I shut the TV off and headed out that night with better things to do, like downing Jameson in Hoboken while I told everyone how much I hated Lebron James.

Makes sense. I watched the whole damned thing.

Back twenty years ago, having 3-4 potential hall of famers on the same team was unheard of. Both the Celtics and Lakers both had that...

I'll give you the Celtics, but the current Lakers team has 3 or 4? Guys like Odom and Artest aren't "potential" Hall of Famers, as they're both north of 30 and haven't done enough at this point in their careers to even make a case for the HOF.

The Knicks had 2 potential HOFers in Starks and Ewing, and some good role players.

LOL @ Starks being mentioned as a potential HOFer.

Even the Bulls in their dynasty won so many of their series's in a tight game 7...

Actually, Michael Jordan never played a Game 7 in the Finals in his entire career.

How so? The Bulls had 2... Jordan and Pippen and some good role players (Kukoc, Armstrong, etc). The Jazz had 2... Malone and Stockton and some good role players. The Knicks had 2 potential HOFers in Starks and Ewing, and some good role players. There was just more parity back then. Even the Bulls in their dynasty won so many of their series's in a tight game 7... You didn't have sure-fire HOFers colluding with each other and taking pay cuts to join teams together in order to win championships like we see today. I don't like it, but thats the reality of the NBA Free Agency era. The trend was started a few years ago by LA, taken up by Allen, Pierce, and Garnett joining the Celtics, on to this year with Wade, James, and Bosh...Probably not ending next year either with already rumors of Melo and Paul teaming up together to join a team with some other all-star(s).

It sucks for the basketball purist, but the days where any team that gets lucky with a couple draft picks can be perennial contenders is essentially dead. Now its all about recruiting and buying star players via Free Agency.

This is where I stopped reading because really, if you honestly believe that, what's the point of reading anything you have to say about basketball?

This is where I stopped reading because really, if you honestly believe that, what's the point of reading anything you have to say about basketball?

Haha. Yeah Im a Knicks homer. Yeah I reached. But that even strengthens my point. The Knicks were contenders pretty much every year during the Ewing era with one superstar.

As for the Lakers.... Kobe and Gasol both have serious potential at one day being HOFers... I agree neither Odom or Artest, but they are both perennial all-stars that equate to role players on that team. Still way better than anything the Cavs could compete with. Even if they did manage somehow to get another superstar and keep their key role players, which would have been hard enough to do themselves.

As for Jordan and game Seven... He beat that knicks team (the one that only had 1 potential HOFer) in game 7 in '92. He beat them again in 6 in '93 in the semis... He then retired from the NBA due to gambling problems and his desire to try professional baseball. in '94 the Pippen-lead LOST to the Knicks in game 7 in the CONFERENCE SEMIS, and in '98 he beat the Pacers in the semis in game 7.

He played 0 game 7s in the finals but 3 game 6s I believe.

Haha. Yeah Im a Knicks homer. Yeah I reached. But that even strengthens my point. The Knicks were contenders pretty much every year during the Ewing era with one superstar.

As for the Lakers.... Kobe and Gasol both have serious potential at one day being HOFers... I agree neither Odom or Artest, but they are both perennial all-stars that equate to role players on that team. Still way better than anything the Cavs could compete with. Even if they did manage somehow to get another superstar and keep their key role players, which would have been hard enough to do themselves.

Odom and Artest have one All-Star appearance between them. They are both very good players and are great at what they do. But they are exactly the kind of guys you need to win championships. You're not getting it done with a couple of superstars alone.

The Sixers once had Dr. J, Moses Malone and Mo Cheeks all in their primes, not to mention an aging Bobby Jones. That's two of the NBA's all-time Top 50 plus two true perennial All Stars and they won one title and were glad to win it.

The Lakers once had Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor and Jerry West - that's three of the NBA's All-Time Top 50 including arguably the greatest center, greatest ball handler and the freakin' logo for goodness sakes - and they didn't win a title at all.

What the Heat have put together is neither unprecedented nor a guarantee of success.

Archived