D'Brick signs D'Extension!!!

Jetsfan1015

Just heard on 1050 ESPN radio that according to league sources, Ferguson has signed an extention with the Jets!!!

http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/1672-report-ferguson-jets-agree-on-extension

Report: Ferguson, Jets Agree on Extension

Published: Wed, July 7, 2010 - 1:07pm ET

randy_lange_headshot_81x63.jpg?1177529599

By Randy Lange

Lange is editor-in-chief of newyorkjets.com. He covered the Jets for 13 years for a North Jersey daily newspaper.

File Under: Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Pro Bowl, Alan Faneca, contract extension

change font email article

07/07

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manish Mehta is reporting it on Twitter.

Breaking: jets have come to an agreement on contract extension with d'brickashaw ferguson, according to league source. #nfl #nyj

Boone as well:

We interrupt the LeBronathon (and vacation) for big news. League source says D'Brickashaw Ferguson has agreed to a contract extension. #Jets

Excited, but wonder why this deal came now when Mangold/Revis were probably more vocal about wanting a deal

Maybe because he kept his mouth shut and decided the negotiations were handeled best in the office and not the newspapers....

This news is false -- it has to be. Didn't Bitonti tell Woody Johnson that he's broke and can't resign his own players?! How did Woody not get this news?!?!

yep, Bitonti is always right.. ask him!

I doubt the Jets are stupid enough to hurt themselves/mangold/revis by holding a grudge...

I am not sure how you reach that conclusion based on my post....I agree with you, but I am not sure how you got there...

Rod Boone tweeted it as well...

Excited, but wonder why this deal came now when Mangold/Revis were probably more vocal about wanting a deal

Impossible to say, but maybe that's exactly why. Maybe the front office is sending a message that you get rewarded for being a good soldier.

It's also possible that D'Brick was the most ready to be 'team friendly' in his efforts for a new deal.

Impossible to say, but maybe that's exactly why. Maybe the front office is sending a message that you get rewarded for being a good soldier.

It's also possible that D'Brick was the most ready to be 'team friendly' in his efforts for a new deal.

It's either this or the Jets are doing this based on tenure due to the unique situation they are in and don't want to appear to be playing favorites.

This way, they can turn to Revis if he gets mouthy and say, "D'Brick's been here longer and had less years left on his contract. Nick's been here the next longest, then you, then David."

It's either this or the Jets are doing this based on tenure due to the unique situation they are in and don't want to appear to be playing favorites.

This way, they can turn to Revis if he gets mouthy and say, "D'Brick's been here longer and had less years left on his contract. Nick's been here the next longest, then you, then David."

Could be a lot of things.

Either way, we secured a major piece today, and that's a good thing. People can debate D'Brick's greatness all they want, but the fact is, he's at worst, good enough that you don't need to worry about your QB getting destroyed, nor who your LT is going to be for the next few years.

I think Mangold will get done fairly easily, and Revis will be the big ?

I sure hope they aren't playing the seniority game. You make exceptions for players like Revis.

Now if he's being ridiculous with his demands, that's a different story.

this is great news. DBrick is a long island native and a Jet through and through.

it's possible they decided Brick was the easiest to negotiate with, and maybe the hardest to replace. Not to say they could "replace" Revis or the others but they could "get by" with another CB. But it takes a high draft pick to replace DBRICK.

this is great news. DBrick is a long island native and a Jet through and through.

it's possible they decided Brick was the easiest to negotiate with, and maybe the hardest to replace. Not to say they could "replace" Revis or the others but they could "get by" with another CB. But it takes a high draft pick to replace DBRICK.

Exactly. My guess is if there's a franchise tag next offseason, we're going to use it on David Harris. We'll probably re-sign Mangold before TC ends... As for Revis, if he keeps being stubborn with his demands, we could table the talks for a year or two until he starts to be more reasonable.

Right now Tanny should make signing Wilson and Vlad his top priority.

I sure hope they aren't playing the seniority game. You make exceptions for players like Revis.

Now if he's being ridiculous with his demands, that's a different story.

Revis already is being ridiculous w/ his demands.

16M a year for a player w/ 3 years left on his deal is ridiculous. If he wants a new deal at this point, he has to at least be reasonable, as the Jets own him for 4 years (assuming there is a franchise tag in the forthcoming CBA).

Fact is, Jets hold the stronger hand here, and if Revis wants more money, he can't ask for stupid money based on Al Davis's incompetence.

Sirius NFL Radio is reporting that the deal breaks down this way:

• 6 year - 60 million dollar extension
  • 34.8 million in guaranteed money
  • He had 2 years left on his original deal so this becomes an 8 year, 73.6 million dollar contract

Exactly. My guess is if there's a franchise tag next offseason, we're going to use it on David Harris. We'll probably re-sign Mangold before TC ends... As for Revis, if he keeps being stubborn with his demands, we could table the talks for a year or two until he starts to be more reasonable.

Right now Tanny should make signing Wilson and Vlad his top priority.

Vlad is all but done as of a week ago. I don't see Wilson being difficult.

I think Mangold and Revis will be done before camp.

Revis already is being ridiculous w/ his demands.

16M a year for a player w/ 3 years left on his deal is ridiculous. If he wants a new deal at this point, he has to at least be reasonable, as the Jets own him for 4 years (assuming there is a franchise tag in the forthcoming CBA).

Fact is, Jets hold the stronger hand here, and if Revis wants more money, he can't ask for stupid money based on Al Davis's incompetence.

We don't know his demands. We only know what the media is saying.

Could be a lot of things.

Either way, we secured a major piece today, and that's a good thing. People can debate D'Brick's greatness all they want, but the fact is, he's at worst, good enough that you don't need to worry about your QB getting destroyed, nor who your LT is going to be for the next few years.

I think Mangold will get done fairly easily, and Revis will be the big ?

Or, they just came to an agreement with him first.

• He had 2 years left on his original deal so this becomes an 8 year, 73.6 million dollar contract

Nah, no way. bit says Woody will never spend money again.

I'd just like to add that that's better than my job.

We don't know his demands. We only know what the media is saying.

We DO know his demands ... from Revis' own mouth.

Revis told Cimini and others that he wants "Aso money", that Aso is making $16.2 million this year and he'd be happy with 50 cents more than that.

It's hard for the media to make something up when the guy is saying it himself.

Revis' demands are unrealistic.

Aso got 3 yrs $45 million ($15 mil av). Revis wants that average for every year of the deal (6 yrs) which is actually more than Aso money.

Once Revis gets to his senses then a deal becomes viable. Until then, it won't.

Certainly not the first guy I expected to hear this about, but this is certainly good news. Should also help with any of this nonsense about the team not being willing to pay anyone. Hopefully it also tells Revis and whoever else that as long as they are willing to be reasonable in their demands, the Jets will gladly work with them. I'm hoping this becomes a bit of a measuring point and they get Mangold locked up next. Revis I'm not too worried about, he'll get locked up eventually, I just think it's going to be a long negotiation process with him.

Certainly not the first guy I expected to hear this about, but this is certainly good news. Should also help with any of this nonsense about the team not being willing to pay anyone. Hopefully it also tells Revis and whoever else that as long as they are willing to be reasonable in their demands, the Jets will gladly work with them. I'm hoping this becomes a bit of a measuring point and they get Mangold locked up next. Revis I'm not too worried about, he'll get locked up eventually, I just think it's going to be a long negotiation process with him.

Exactly on the bolded. This completely undercuts Revis' argument that the Jets don't pay their own players.

They did pay, and a lot of money to boot.

The Mangold situation is different, and I agree it should be done quickly.

People confused Mangold's complaining with Revis' but they were complaining about 2 DIFFERENT things.

Revis was complaining that the Jets offer was too low.

Mangold was complaining that the Jets haven't even made him an offer.

We DO know his demands ... from Revis' own mouth.

Revis told Cimini and others that he wants "Aso money", that Aso is making $16.2 million this year and he'd be happy with 50 cents more than that.

It's hard for the media to make something up when the guy is saying it himself.

Revis' demands are unrealistic.

Aso got 3 yrs $45 million ($15 mil av). Revis wants that average for every year of the deal (6 yrs) which is actually more than Aso money.

Once Revis gets to his senses then a deal becomes viable. Until then, it won't.

Is Revis willing to concede money already given on that current contract, to count towards that yearly average?

I think it has very little to do with how much Revis or Mangold have talked to the press, and everything to do with the fact that Brick was willing to sign the most team friendly deal.

This deal appears to be structured a lot like the one Revis supposedly turned down. It keeps Brick's current contract in place, with less than half of the total value guaranteed.

Revis' primary issue, IIRC, was the guaranteed money. That's reasonable on his part. If the Jets buy his last two years back, that's $20M guaranteed before he ever signs an extension. I think they can get him done with a backloaded deal that gives him close to the salary average he's looking for, and guarantees better than 50% of the extension (on top of that $20M).

Brick signed a pretty team friendly deal, which is understandable. Revis and Mangold are arguably the best at their positions. Brick is not a part of that conversation at LT. By being reasonable, he's now set for life. Good for him.

Archived