D'Brick signs D'Extension!!!

Jetsfan1015

The same way they calculate it for every other lineman in the league.

I'm not going to play the game you like to play with trolls. Find someone else to play. If you want to back up your position, feel free. If you don't - that's fine, too.

And how do they calculate it for the other lineman? How the hell does someone sitting in a press box know for sure who is responsible for giving up a sack?

It really isn't as simple as the guy who lined up across from you sacked the QB therefore it's your fault.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a big fan of Rex, too, but if Nnamdi Asomugha can get himself in the conversation while playing for the Raiders then -yes- I think Revis could've gotten there in Mangini's yawn-but-don't-sleep dee.

If Revis gets hurt, the brilliant defensive mind that Rex is will completely change what they do on defense. There's not another CB on the team (and probably not in the league) that can do what Rex asks of Revis. You joked about us Revis dick smokers, but the reality is that Rex never gets off his knob long enough to give any of the rest of us a chance.

Thats very true!...lol.

I never heard Aso in the conversation as the goat...maybe best in the game, but not goat.

And we will agree to disagree again...no way Revis is in goat conversation under Mangini's watch.

doesn't matter who is slightly more important than whom. we need every player - especially the "core four" - to play their arses off to have a prayer at a ring.

+1

we turned this into a revis/mangold state of the jets discussion

but at the end of the day dbrick is an Excellent player, and his signing is great news.

9 out of 10 times, it takes a top 5 pick to replace a starting left tackle as good as brick

people talk about Clady, that dude just blew is knee out. Brick is a karate master who never gets injured.

And how do they calculate it for the other lineman? How the hell does someone sitting in a press box know for sure who is responsible for giving up a sack?

It really isn't as simple as the guy who lined up across from you sacked the QB therefore it's your fault.

not for nothing but if you are correct wouldn't that sacks can be pinned on another lineman that are really his fault?

not for nothing but if you are correct wouldn't that sacks can be pinned on another lineman that are really his fault?

Absolutely. And that is exactly my point. There can be sacks that are incorrectly attributed to other linemen that are Brick's fault. Just as there can be sacks that are incorrectly attributed to other linemen that are Joe Thomas' fault or Jake Long's fault too. How do we know that every stat taker is applying the same standard in this particular stat since there is no way to really know for sure?

Do they attribute sacks to the QB if it his own damn fault for getting sacked because he held the ball too long or took too deep or too shallow a drop or completely screwed up and rolled out the wrong way?

Absolutely. And that is exactly my point. There can be sacks that are incorrectly attributed to other linemen that are Brick's fault. Just as there can be sacks that are incorrectly attributed to other linemen that are Joe Thomas' fault or Jake Long's fault too. How do we know that every stat taker is applying the same standard in this particular stat since there is no way to really know for sure?

Do they attribute sacks to the QB if it his own damn fault for getting sacked because he held the ball too long or took too deep or too shallow a drop or completely screwed up and rolled out the wrong way?

maybe this is a reason to downgrade the importance of the statistic (maybe) but to completely invalidate it? like it or not it's a tool that's used when evaluating/drafting/signing players.

There can be sacks that are incorrectly attributed to other linemen that are Brick's fault. Just as there can be sacks that are incorrectly attributed to other linemen that are Joe Thomas' fault or Jake Long's fault too.

Is it possible that sacks could be incorrectly attributed to interior linemen that are actually D'Brick's fault, too? Or can sacks only be incorrectly added to Ferguson while being simultaneously erroneously subtracted from other LT's totals? :confused0058:

Is it possible that sacks could be incorrectly attributed to interior linemen that are actually D'Brick's fault, too? Or can sacks only be incorrectly added to Ferguson while being simultaneously erroneously subtracted from other LT's totals? :confused0058:

I'm not going to embarrass you, read my post again.

maybe this is a reason to downgrade the importance of the statistic (maybe) but to completely invalidate it? like it or not it's a tool that's used when evaluating/drafting/signing players.

I don't think it's used by teams at all for any purpose. If it was would the Jets have just given an LT who is middle to bottom of the pack in sacks allowed more guaranteed money than has ever been paid to a LT?

I think this particular stat has one audience and one audience only - stat geeks.

By Adam Schefter

ESPN

Archive The New York Jets' contract logjam cleared up some Wednesday, when the team reached agreement on a colossal six-year, $60 million contract extension with offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, according to league sources.

Ferguson had two years remaining on his initial contract, so he now will be tied to the Jets for eight years and $73.6 million.

The guaranteed money is $34.8 million, a record for an offensive lineman, surpassing the $30 million in guaranteed money that the Miami Dolphins gave No. 1 overall pick Jake Long.

Ferguson's deal will be signed Thursday and he will be under contract through 2017. The deal ties Ferguson with Long for the highest average salary for an offensive lineman.

Technically, Ferguson's deal is for five years with a one-year option at the end, but the option is likely to be picked up.

Ferguson is the first of four Jets who have wanted new deals to sign one. His deal leaves the Jets now trying to re-sign cornerback Darrelle Revis, center Nick Mangold and linebacker David Harris.

Ferguson's agent, Brad Blank, believes Ferguson's deal could mean other contracts will get done soon.

"I think it helps stop the logjam and gives the others a template," Blank said.

Revis, whom Jets coach Rex Ryan said deserved the defensive player of the year award after last season, has not seen any progress toward his deal this offseason.

The Jets also agreed to a four-year, $3.25 million deal with their second-round pick, guard Vladimir Ducasse, a league source confirmed.

Ducasse, the 61st overall pick, is competing with Matt Slauson for the starting left guard spot. Alan Faneca had started there the past two seasons, but was cut after the Jets drafted Ducasse.

Three of the Jets' four draft picks have signed, with only first-rounder Kyle Wilson not under contract.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Jane McManus and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I don't think it's used by teams at all for any purpose. If it was would the Jets have just given an LT who is middle to bottom of the pack in sacks allowed more guaranteed money than has ever been paid to a LT?

This is something for D'Brick and his agent to feel good about in the short term, but that's all it is. The contract that they're claiming to have done better than was a 5 year deal that averaged over $11M/yr as opposed to Brick's extension which is 6 years/$60M - and doesn't even kick in for another two years.

It's good money -make no mistake- but this contract will be a "middle of the pack" LT contract by 2012.

By Adam Schefter

ESPN

Archive The New York Jets' contract logjam cleared up some Wednesday, when the team reached agreement on a colossal six-year, $60 million contract extension with offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, according to league sources.

Ferguson had two years remaining on his initial contract, so he now will be tied to the Jets for eight years and $73.6 million.

The guaranteed money is $34.8 million, a record for an offensive lineman, surpassing the $30 million in guaranteed money that the Miami Dolphins gave No. 1 overall pick Jake Long.

Ferguson's deal will be signed Thursday and he will be under contract through 2017. The deal ties Ferguson with Long for the highest average salary for an offensive lineman.

Technically, Ferguson's deal is for five years with a one-year option at the end, but the option is likely to be picked up.

Ferguson is the first of four Jets who have wanted new deals to sign one. His deal leaves the Jets now trying to re-sign cornerback Darrelle Revis, center Nick Mangold and linebacker David Harris.

Ferguson's agent, Brad Blank, believes Ferguson's deal could mean other contracts will get done soon.

"I think it helps stop the logjam and gives the others a template," Blank said.

Revis, whom Jets coach Rex Ryan said deserved the defensive player of the year award after last season, has not seen any progress toward his deal this offseason.

The Jets also agreed to a four-year, $3.25 million deal with their second-round pick, guard Vladimir Ducasse, a league source confirmed.

Ducasse, the 61st overall pick, is competing with Matt Slauson for the starting left guard spot. Alan Faneca had started there the past two seasons, but was cut after the Jets drafted Ducasse.

Three of the Jets' four draft picks have signed, with only first-rounder Kyle Wilson not under contract.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Jane McManus and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Hometown discount, lol. With 2 years left on his contract and limited leverage, the Jets got no hometown discount here. I'm not faulting Ferguson in the slightest way, but the highest-guaranteed contract given to an offensive lineman in NFL history, for a player who - while excellent - isn't top-3 at his position, is no discount in any sense.

I can see that, but for some reason my gut keeps saying they'll let Harris go.

I don't think so. We will in all likelihood be losing Jason Taylor and Shaun Ellis from our front 7 after this year... I doubt we're just going to let Harris walk as well. My prediction is that Mangold is for sure done by the end of TC, if not sooner. Revis will depend on how stubborn he's being -- there's no way the Jets cave to his current demands... Remember he still is under contract through 2012... That will leave Edwards, Holmes, Cromartie and Harris to re-sign next offseason. This gets complex because we don't know what the CBA situation will be like next offseason (the RFA rule, franchise tags, etc). But I think we keep 2 of those four on the team after this year. We will look to re-sign one, and franchise (if thats possible) the other.

I can see that, but for some reason my gut keeps saying they'll let Harris go.

If he's likely to command $7-8M per season by then he probably isn't worth re-signing on this team. ILB isn't the most difficult position to fill. It's difficult to fill it with someone on Harris's level, but the team as a whole might take a bigger step back with him over a younger/cheaper option instead of a lousy #2 WR because the money went to a third $7-8M per season LB'er.

I like Harris a lot, but a team that already has to come up with money in 2011 and beyond for Revis, Scott, Pace, possibly Cromartie if he becomes what he's capable of, Jenkins, and eventual replacements for Ellis, Thomas, Pool or another safety, and another DE if DeVito doesn't pan out as planned. At that money Harris would probably end up as a luxury that, unfortunately, the team will have to do without. Hopefully they find a way to keep him. If 2 of the other 3 (Cromartie, Edwards, and Holmes) aren't worth retaining, then they'll keep Harris.

If he's likely to command $7-8M per season by then he probably isn't worth re-signing on this team. ILB isn't the most difficult position to fill. It's difficult to fill it with someone on Harris's level, but the team as a whole might take a bigger step back with him over a younger/cheaper option instead of a lousy #2 WR because the money went to a third $7-8M per season LB'er.

I like Harris a lot, but a team that already has to come up with money in 2011 and beyond for Revis, Scott, Pace, possibly Cromartie if he becomes what he's capable of, Jenkins, and eventual replacements for Ellis, Thomas, Pool or another safety, and another DE if DeVito doesn't pan out as planned. At that money Harris would probably end up as a luxury that, unfortunately, the team will have to do without. Hopefully they find a way to keep him. If 2 of the other 3 (Cromartie, Edwards, and Holmes) aren't worth retaining, then they'll keep Harris.

:ahhh:

Woody is gonna go broke!

I should return my PSLs! (can I do that?)

Seriously though I do not envy Tanny and the plate full of contracts he is gonna have to serve up.

I cant see us keeping Cromartie, to be honest. If he gets anywhere near what he is capable of doing this season...He will command at least that $7mil/year. With Revis (hopefully) and Wilson both locked up long term after the season, I cant imagine a scenario where we see keeping Cro is a bigger need than keeping Harris. Especially considering the likelihood that neither Taylor or Ellis will be on the team after this season, and Jenkins isn't getting any younger in the middle either. Harris is young and reliable in the middle of the field. I really dont see us letting him walk.

Conspiracy theory: Woody Johnson is a regular on this board and saw Bitonti's posts about how he was broke. Woody, in a panic that his imminent bankruptcy would be exposed to the public, went out and signed up for the new Barclay's NFL Rewards credit card. It's a win-win for him. Woody can now shut the idiots on this board up so his secret bankruptcy proceedings don't get exposed to the public and earn some sick rewards points while he finances Brick's new 6 year contract on his new NFL issued credit card.

But make no mistake -- this crazy cracker is still broke.

I cant see us keeping Cromartie, to be honest. If he gets anywhere near what he is capable of doing this season...He will command at least that $7mil/year. With Revis (hopefully) and Wilson both locked up long term after the season, I cant imagine a scenario where we see keeping Cro is a bigger need than keeping Harris. Especially considering the likelihood that neither Taylor or Ellis will be on the team after this season, and Jenkins isn't getting any younger in the middle either. Harris is young and reliable in the middle of the field. I really dont see us letting him walk.

Wins will determine a lot...

If the JETS can prove to be a top tier team returning or besting their playoff run from last season there might be some willingness to take a couple million less to keep the team in tact... now if they go 8-8 and miss the playoffs Cro will go take top $$$ from wherever he can get it from.

Great move resigning him.

When push comes to shove having a franchise LT locked up for the next 8 years is more important than a franchise CB, C, or LB. I love Revis, Mangold, and Harris, I do, but you need your franchise QB's blindside protected and now the Jets have taken care of that.

D'Brick's contract doesn't effect the 30% rule of extending contracts which is why this was the easiest deal to complete as opposed to the other three, two of which making under $1 million (Revis, Harris) and the other (Mangold) not making much more than that.

I wouldn't expect a deal for Mangold or Harris before the season begins. One will be resigned between February and March, the other franchised. Maybe in Revis situation the Jets buy back the final two years and move up some money into his 2010 base salary and then restructure next off-season when a new CBA is in place.

Wins will determine a lot...

If the JETS can prove to be a top tier team returning or besting their playoff run from last season there might be some willingness to take a couple million less to keep the team in tact... now if they go 8-8 and miss the playoffs Cro will go take top $$$ from wherever he can get it from.

Thats the way we as fans want to see it happen. Unfortunately, the world is not shaded green like the glasses we see it from. The fact of the matter is Cro, Edwards, Holmes, and Harris are all young players entering the primes of their careers. Im sure all of them would like a ring, but getting a ring, no matter what team you play for or how talented it is, is always far from a guarantee. The multi million signing bonuses that will be offered to them are guaranteed by whatever team paying them.

If said players were all 30-32 years old and on the back-end of their careers, your scenario would be a possibility... But when is the last time you saw a 25-28 year old free agent take less money to stay on a team, regardless of how good it was? That's no more then wishful thinking on our parts. Realistically, that just does not make sense for the players and it won't happen. Especially given the relatively short careers professional athletes in general, forget NFL players, have to make money.

Great move resigning him.

When push comes to shove having a franchise LT locked up for the next 8 years is more important than a franchise CB, C, or LB. I love Revis, Mangold, and Harris, I do, but you need your franchise QB's blindside protected and now the Jets have taken care of that.

D'Brick's contract doesn't effect the 30% rule of extending contracts which is why this was the easiest deal to complete as opposed to the other three, two of which making under $1 million (Revis, Harris) and the other (Mangold) not making much more than that.

I wouldn't expect a deal for Mangold or Harris before the season begins. One will be resigned between February and March, the other franchised. Maybe in Revis situation the Jets buy back the final two years and move up some money into his 2010 base salary and then restructure next off-season when a new CBA is in place.

I cant see the Jets letting Mangold AND Harris go unsigned this season. By season's end they will be kind of annoyed at the Jets FO and will probably want to test the open market before they begin any serious negotiations with the Jets. That, combined with the fact that we are going to need to re-sign or franchise either Holmes or Edwards as well...Not to mention Brodney Pool if we think he's got something left... I just don't see Tanny letting so many key pieces hit the open market next March.

Mangold will get done by the end of TC. Revis I agree will ultimately wait until next offseason to renegotiate.. But I wouldnt be surprised to see the Jets agree to buyback at least a year of the contract now and front him some guaranteed money just so he doesnt have to worry about being the"next leon".

I think this particular stat has one audience and one audience only - stat geeks.

you mean stat geeks like Mike Tannenbaum?

No stat geek worth his salt would be caught in the same room as Sacks Allowed.

No stat geek worth his salt would be caught in the same room as Sacks Allowed.

Just the opposite in my opinion. It is a one on one stat where said OL gets beat by his blocking assignment.

Seems pretty simple to me.

It's like a pass defended, we have no problem quoting that stat, but it doesn't explain if he's getting safety help or the receiver tripped. It's not fair to over analyze just because you or whoever does not like the resulting stat.

So much goes into a sack or a interception but those are welcomed with open arms. The LB providing the pressure doesn't get a 1/2 pass defended stat because he rushed the QB.

Archived