D'Brick signs D'Extension!!!

Jetsfan1015

I think it has very little to do with how much Revis or Mangold have talked to the press, and everything to do with the fact that Brick was willing to sign the most team friendly deal.

This deal appears to be structured a lot like the one Revis supposedly turned down. It keeps Brick's current contract in place, with less than half of the total value guaranteed.

Revis' primary issue, IIRC, was the guaranteed money. That's reasonable on his part. If the Jets buy his last two years back, that's $20M guaranteed before he ever signs an extension. I think they can get him done with a backloaded deal that gives him close to the salary average he's looking for, and guarantees better than 50% of the extension (on top of that $20M).

Brick signed a pretty team friendly deal, which is understandable. Revis and Mangold are arguably the best at their positions. Brick is not a part of that conversation at LT. By being reasonable, he's now set for life. Good for him.

i hate agreeing with you. i don't think this is a "message signing." i'm hopeful that now that brick is out of the way they can move to mangold. perhaps they wanted to get brick done first b/c you can't pay your center more than your LT and now they have a ceiling in place. they can look at the avg difference between LT and center pay and adust accordingly from there (i.e. since mangold is better at his position, he gets a kicker) using Brick's contract as a starting point.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly on the bolded. This completely undercuts Revis' argument that the Jets don't pay their own players.

They did pay, and a lot of money to boot.

The Mangold situation is different, and I agree it should be done quickly.

People confused Mangold's complaining with Revis' but they were complaining about 2 DIFFERENT things.

Revis was complaining that the Jets offer was too low.

Mangold was complaining that the Jets haven't even made him an offer.

Agreed completely, and I imagine Mangold is the next priority. I'm thinking the Jets were negotiating with the thought in mind that they wanted to get Ferguson locked up first and then it will only make it easier to work with Mangold. He has got to know while he may be the best center in the game, he's going to get paid less than a franchise LT. Plus, it certainly helps that Ferguson signed what I would consider a pretty team friendly deal.

I think the Jets sent a very good message here, they showed they will pay their own people, they will lock them up to the a long term contract and when the player is willing to work with them, they'll even negotiate a contract with multiple years left on it. These players are running out of excuses, now it's just a matter of whether they're willing to play for the amount of money the Jets offer them.

Or maybe Mikey T and Co. are no dumbies and they signed the most important of those players wanting a new deal. LT >>>> C, DB, LB.

Oh yeah, that little investment they made last year in a sexy Mexican Model could have something to do with it too. Definitely need to keep him nice and pretty for his photo shoots and that is the LT's primary job.

Is Revis willing to concede money already given on that current contract, to count towards that yearly average?

The answer is no (according to reports) which is the current problem.

Revis has 3 years at $21 million. If he gets a 4 year extension at $60 mil ($15 per), then his total on a 7 yr deal would be $81 mil, which is an $11.5 mil.

Revis, according to reports, want the entire 7 years averaging $16 million. For that to happen, the 4 year extension would need to aver. $22 million. Revis said he's not looking for $20 million per (which he claims the Jets put out there to smear him), but he's talking about $20 million per for 7 years.

Remember, the problem with the initial offer for Revis was not only the lack of guaranteed money but that the total contract aver per year was about $11.2 mil.

Revis has 3 years at $21 million. If he gets a 4 year extension at $60 mil ($15 per), then his total on a 7 yr deal would be $81 mil, which is an $11.5 mil.

Revis, according to reports, want the entire 7 years averaging $16 million. For that to happen, the 4 year extension would need to aver. $22 million. Revis said he's not looking for $20 million per (which he claims the Jets put out there to smear him), but he's talking about $20 million per for 7 years.

Remember, the problem with the initial offer for Revis was not only the lack of guaranteed money but that the total contract aver per year was about $11.2 mil.

ah it's all starting to make sense. so he would reject a 4 year extention at 16 mill per with half of it guaranteed because the avg salary over the next 7 years wouldn't be 16? that is the epitome of greed.

That comes to almost 10 million a year, for a guy who is vital on every offensive possession. Also for a guy who is damn good at his position.

I know how great Revis is but teams will just not throw his way taking him out of the play. Which essentially we are paying him to have no stats, I guess that's the sign of a great CB.

If our opposing team is running the ball I'd hope their RB does not make it to that tier of the defense too often, so he's a non factor in that play too.

If Revis gets what he wants he'd like to get paid double what Brick is getting, I just find that hard to swallow.

i hate agreeing with you. i don't think this is a "message signing." i'm hopeful that now that brick is out of the way they can move to mangold. perhaps they wanted to get brick done first b/c you can't pay your center more than your LT and now they have a ceiling in place. they can look at the avg difference between LT and center pay and adust accordingly from there (i.e. since mangold is better at his position, he gets a kicker) using Brick's contract as a starting point.

I hear you, but it makes sense that this contract would also serve as some sort of ceiling/barometer for Mangold's deal as well. :P Be interesting to find out the structure of this deal, how much is backloaded, and where all the guaranteed money falls.

He wants his cake and eat it too.

Tough position to negotiate with

Exactly, except for the problem is Revis and his agent don't see it that way because they have absolutely no interest in actually having anything to do with the remaining three years of the contract that he signed. They don't want an extension, they want the entire thing torn up and a brand new long-term $16 million/year contract with lots of guarantees placed in front of them.

It's not going to happen and the fact that Brick's new 6 years were tacked onto the two remaining in his deal combined with those reports you mentioned, should tell you everything you need to know about how the Jets plan to do their negotiating this offseason.

That comes to almost 10 million a year, for a guy who is vital on every offensive possession. Also for a guy who is damn good at his position.

I know how great Revis is but teams will just not throw his way taking him out of the play. Which essentially we are paying him to have no stats, I guess that's the sign of a great CB.

If our opposing team is running the ball I'd hope their RB does not make it to that tier of the defense too often, so he's a non factor in that play too.

If Revis gets what he wants he'd like to get paid double what Brick is getting, I just find that hard to swallow.

hate to tell you this but it's completely untrue.

Revis had a very rare mix of both quality and quantity. He led the league in Adjusted Yards per Pass and Success Rate, which is impressive enough by itself, but what was more impressive is that he still drew the sixth-highest target rate of any defensive back in the league. He was consistently able to convince quarterbacks to throw in his direction, and yet, effective enough to prevent those passes from being completed. That raises his value compared to a player like Nnamdi Asomugha, whose greatness simply funnels targets over to the other, weaker players on the roster.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/07/01/jets-2010-football-outsiders-preview-is-here/

Yes, it sounds like dealing with the wife and kids.

Unfortunately, the cap hit to cut them is too much to absorb right now.

The good thing is when they get older you can cut the kids with no penalty. No such luck with the wife, you may just need to wait it out until she retires from the game.

LOL

I know that was 09, I mean the future. I know he had a unreal 09 season, many say that it can not be replicated simply because QB's will avoid him.

so basically you're making stuff up. next.

LOL

I know that was 09, I mean the future. I know he had a unreal 09 season, many say that it can not be replicated simply because QB's will avoid him.

Many #1 type CB's cover their opposition's #2 WR while the team doubles the #1 WR. With Revis, they just man him up on their #1 WR all game long. You can't expect QB's to just ignore their #1 wideout all game. Miami isn't going to ignore Brandon Marshall for two games just because Revis is covering him, for instance.

The reason some "experts" are saying that Revis won't duplicate what he did in '09 is because it was probably the best season a CB ever had. Tough to duplicate that.

I'm not going through the countless articles that say Revis can not have a better season then he did in 09.

Brick Signed, YAY!!!

Next-

so you're basing speculation on speculation in an attempt to defeat facts. especially since the premises do not match each other. "can't have a better season than he did in '09" does not mean he will "not be thrown to." enjoy your sand castle.

Many #1 type CB's cover their opposition's #2 WR while the team doubles the #1 WR. With Revis, they just man him up on their #1 WR all game long. You can't expect QB's to just ignore their #1 wideout all game. Miami isn't going to ignore Brandon Marshall for two games just because Revis is covering him, for instance.

The reason some "experts" are saying that Revis won't duplicate what he did in '09 is because it was probably the best season a CB ever had. Tough to duplicate that.

Lord, obviously I know during the entire 2010 season a few passes might get thrown his way. LMAO

Your last sentence is my point exactly.

I read a while back that the Jets design their defense and blitzes to ensure that teams throw the ball at Revis.

By bringing pressure from the opposite side, QBs are forced to look in his direction.

Also, the #1 thing is pretty important, as slats points out.

In 2009 Revis was thrown at 111, and only allowed 41 receptions, and 2 TD's.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie of the Cardinals, and Derek Cox of the Jaguar were the only 2 thrown at more.

Now look to 2010, teams will know what is going on, they'll be switching formations like crazy and try and force the Jets to mix up our scheme and coverage.

I know in 2009 that was Rex's gameplan, but now with a years worth of tape and a lot of time to watch it opposing teams will be ready for what we did last year.

Obviously we can't just keep repeating ourselves or we'll get slammed.

LOL

OK this makes no sense. Revis' '09 season was incredible because of his performance against the incredibly high level of competition he faced. Well, theoretically his 2010 season might be better because he may be facing an even tougher slate of receivers what with Brandon Marshall joining the division and games against Anquan Bolden (Ravens) and Greg Jennings/Donald Driver (Packers,) Calvin Johnson (Lions,) Sidney Rice (Vikings) while also facing Chad Johnson and Andre Johnson again.

If he can be as successful in shutting down this group as he was last year, one can only imagine what he would demand after doing it two years in a row. Now is the time to lock him up. You don't want to be dealing with him after he does it again.

Or maybe Mikey T and Co. are no dumbies and they signed the most important of those players wanting a new deal. LT >>>> C, DB, LB.

Oh yeah, that little investment they made last year in a sexy Mexican Model could have something to do with it too. Definitely need to keep him nice and pretty for his photo shoots and that is the LT's primary job.

I don't agree with that premise.

On this defense/run oriented football team, Revis is probably the most important player on the roster, while Brick is somewhere down the list (behind Mangold) as a merely "decent" run blocker.

But for a quality pass protector, he signed a team friendly deal. Hopefully Sanchez will rapidly improve into the team's MVP. When that happens, this will look like an even better deal.

In 2009 Revis was thrown at 111, and only allowed 41 receptions, and 2 TD's.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie of the Cardinals, and Derek Cox of the Jaguar were the only 2 thrown at more.

Now look to 2010, teams will know what is going on, they'll be switching formations like crazy and try and force the Jets to mix up our scheme and coverage.

I know in 2009 that was Rex's gameplan, but now with a years worth of tape and a lot of time to watch it opposing teams will be ready for what we did last year.

Obviously we can't just keep repeating ourselves or we'll get slammed.

too bad our secondary this year is almost completely revamped. kyle wilson+crobabymomartie increase the incentive to test revis, not decrease it.

On this defense/run oriented football team, Revis is probably the most important player on the roster, while Brick is somewhere down the list (behind Mangold) as a merely "decent" run blocker.

But for a quality pass protector, he signed a team friendly deal. Hopefully Sanchez will rapidly improve into the team's MVP. When that happens, this will look like an even better deal.

Couldn't disagree more. When you've invested the team's longterm future and your entire regime's fortunes by trading way up into the top 5 to grab Sanchez like the Jets did last year, protecting him is always going to be the top priority.

You think by adding new guys to a new defense teams will test the BEST CB and a veteran of the defense?

Seriously now, NEXT-

as slats said, teams aren't going to suddenly concede that revis wins and stop throwing to their stud wideouts in single coverage. not going to happen. the Jets give you two choices - throw into the teeth of the defense or go for your stud in one-on-one: which are the matchups every offense attempts to create play after play. those guys get paid to catch the ball too, you know.

PS: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, next.

I read a while back that the Jets design their defense and blitzes to ensure that teams throw the ball at Revis.

By bringing pressure from the opposite side, QBs are forced to look in his direction.

Also, the #1 thing is pretty important, as slats points out.

I was just going to say this. Rex had actually said they study each QB's tendancies to see how they react in the face of the blitz. Some have a greater tendency to throw in the direction the blitz is coming from, other's away from it, and they actually tailor their decisions on which direction to blitz from based on that and in hopes of trying to get them to throw in Revis' direction. I remember it clearly just because of what an impressive thing it was for Ryan to say about Revis, considering they game plan their defense trying to get QBs to throw at him.

Like Klecko said, you traded up for your franchise QB. You traded for Edwards and Holmes, you picked up a pass catching RB in LT. Keeping Sanchez upright and able to manage games is the #1 priority for this team. Hence making LT more important than a CB or a Center.

Rex is going to bring defense where ever he goes and the push to get Sanchez, Edwards, Holmes and LT shows you this team knows that you need to be able to pass the ball effectively to win in the NFL. This a QB's league. Keeping him healthy when he's already injury prone and coming of a knee injury is the priority of this team. This entire season rides on Sanchez's shoulders and guess who's job it is to keep his blind side protected? DBrick.

Tanny and Co. aint stupid.

Archived