D'Brick signs D'Extension!!!

Jetsfan1015

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not for nothing but it was started almost a hour and a half prior and it was on the top the entire time.

I have enjoyed your others though, seriously- :cheers:

Forgot to refresh the screen when I came back to the computer.

I

Like Klecko said, you traded up for your franchise QB. You traded for Edwards and Holmes, you picked up a pass catching RB in LT. Keeping Sanchez upright and able to manage games is the #1 priority for this team. Hence making LT more important than a CB or a Center.

Rex is going to bring defense where ever he goes and the push to get Sanchez, Edwards, Holmes and LT shows you this team knows that you need to be able to pass the ball effectively to win in the NFL. This a QB's league. Keeping him healthy when he's already injury prone and coming of a knee injury is the priority of this team. This entire season rides on Sanchez's shoulders and guess who's job it is to keep his blind side protected? DBrick.

Tanny and Co. aint stupid.

I understand everything you've written and still disagree. :mrgreen:

D'Brick is signed because he was willing to sign a team friendly deal. If Revis was willing to do the same, he'd've been the first one signed. Revis is more important to this team than Brick as it stands.

Brick becomes more important as Sanchez develops (as I said). So I hope he becomes extremely important in the very near future. But right now, he's just the 4th best run blocker on the OL of a team that runs more than any other team in football.

D'Brick is signed because he was willing to sign a team friendly deal. If Revis was willing to do the same, he'd've been the first one signed. Revis is more important to this team than Brick as it stands.

Brick becomes more important as Sanchez develops (as I said). So I hope he becomes extremely important in the very near future. But right now, he's just the 4th best run blocker on the OL of a team that runs more than any other team in football.

Sanchez can't develop unless Brick does his job. Look, we can go back and forth all day like this but there's no way you can make a legit argument that a CB, any CB, is more important to a team than a franchise LT.

Sanchez can't develop unless Brick does his job. Look, we can go back and forth all day like this but there's no way you can make a legit argument that a CB, any CB, is more important to a team than a franchise LT.

I can, but I don't feel like it.

The importance of the LT position is way overrated, IMHO. I'm glad Tanny signed Brick relatively cheap.

You think by adding new guys to a new defense teams will test the BEST CB and a veteran of the defense?

Seriously now, NEXT-

In other words, your argument is that QBs will be more inclined to test Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson than they were to Dwight Lowery?

If that is your argument, than I think we'll all just concede to you and move on with our lives.

The importance of the LT position is way overrated, IMHO. .

He faces the other team's best pass rusher every week... look at the list of guys Brick faced last year, it's just as impressive as the list Revis faced every week. Freeney, Peppers, Mario Williams etc.

The team will only pass more going forward, as Sanchez develops... also Brick's run blocking is way underrated.

Brick got done first cause he took a home town discount. He's from LI, he wanted to hang around.

That's great for the team and for the fans but it doesn't make Mangold or Revis jerks for wanting Market value.

Jason can speak to this better but brick probably took a below market value deal.

Probably true. But thats not the case, so your priorities change.

And I really dont get this fascination with all you Revis dong suckers. Yep, he's the best at his position. That awesome. But he wasnt good enough to keep us from going 9-7 and getting handed a win to make the playoffs. He wasnt good enough to get us off the field against Miami twice, ATL, and Jax. He wasnt good enough to stop Manning from shredding us in the AFCC.

Revis is great. No doubt. But this defense would be really really good without him. Our offense would be absolutely terrible without DBrick. Our injury prone QB would be playing with some slob trying to block his blindside and I assure you our running game would suffer eventhough he's the 4th best run blocker on the team.

Bottom line. DBrick is more important to this team than Revis. We are effed without DBrick, not so much without Revis. Rex makes Revis as it is...not the other way around.

he wasnt good enough to keep us from going 9-7

that's one way to look at it... another way is that without Revis they probably don't have a winning season.

I dont see why this is a Revis issue. Brick is one of several core players that had to get re-done. It is good news is took a friendly deal... but that doesn't make Revis chopped liver cause he didn't get paid today.

Many reasons to like this deal and how it affects Mangold, Revis and Harris.

DBrick signs a team-friendly contract because:

He's from LI and wants to stay

Part of a core group of young talent that can compete at a high level for many years

Not as highly regarded around the league at his position compared to Mangold or Revis.

IMO...Mangold, Revis and Harris should appreciate the signing especially as its done before any new CBA. If we can get Mangold done quickly it just builds momentum.

Revis may take a little longer but love the fact we are starting to move forward.

Great start Mr. T.

:cheers:

He faces the other team's best pass rusher every week... look at the list of guys Brick faced last year, it's just as impressive as the list Revis faced every year.

The team will only pass more going forward, as Sanchez develops... also Brick's run blocking is way underrated.

Brick got done first cause he took a home town discount. He's from LI, he wanted to hang around.

That's great for the team and for the fans but it doesn't make Mangold or Revis jerks for wanting Market value.

Jason can speak to this better but brick probably took a below market value deal.

Brick definitely took a hometown discount, no doubt about that. However, that doesn't change whether or not Revis is acting like a jerk. Revis is asking for over market value and he's doing it with 3 years left on his contract. I'm sorry, but asking for more than the highest paid player in the league at your position, who was given a ridiculous contract by Al Davis that was $5 million more per year than the next highest contract is nowhere in the vicinity of "market value".

You're absolutely right though as to why Brick got signed first, and the Jets have made it clear, they're more than glad to work with the people who are willing to work with them. And he can complain all he wants, unless Revis changes his demands the Jets will continue to move on to other players.

He faces the other team's best pass rusher every week... look at the list of guys Brick faced last year, it's just as impressive as the list Revis faced every week. Freeney, Peppers, Mario Williams etc.

Jason already spoke on this:

So in looking at those numbers Ferguson

Probably true. But thats not the case, so your priorities change.

And I really dont get this fascination with all you Revis dong suckers. Yep, he's the best at his position. That awesome. But he wasnt good enough to keep us from going 9-7 and getting handed a win to make the playoffs. He wasnt good enough to get us off the field against Miami twice, ATL, and Jax. He wasnt good enough to stop Manning from shredding us in the AFCC.

Revis is great. No doubt. But this defense would be really really good without him. Our offense would be absolutely terrible without DBrick. Our injury prone QB would be playing with some slob trying to block his blindside and I assure you our running game would suffer eventhough he's the 4th best run blocker on the team.

Bottom line. DBrick is more important to this team than Revis. We are effed without DBrick, not so much without Revis. Rex makes Revis as it is...not the other way around.

Brick is much more replaceable than Revis. He's a decent LT, nothing special. There were 14 LT's who gave up fewer sacks than he did despite the fact that the Jets threw the football less than any other team in the league. His run blocking is average.

OTOH, Revis is special. He covers teams #1 WR week in and week out, and renders them nearly useless. Most teams have to double #1 WR's, the luxury of having a player of his caliber allows the the team to have another player free to cover, to blitz, whatever. Having him is like playing with 12 men.

No way is this a #1 dee without him, or someone close to his ability. And there is no one close to his ability out there.

that's one way to look at it... another way is that without Revis they probably don't have a winning season.

I dont see why this is a Revis issue. Brick is one of several core players that had to get re-done. It is good news is took a friendly deal... but that doesn't make Revis chopped liver cause he didn't get paid today.

Everyone was coming up with reasons why DBrick happened before Revis and Mangold. Whether it was more team friendly, tenure, etc.

I made a simple observation that LT is more important than CB and C and that protecting their franchise QB is the priority hence the signing. Then everyone started in with the Revis is god we cant go on without him talk which is entirely untrue.

Never said it made him chop liver. My points are simple. Revis wasnt Revis untill Rex got here. Rex makes Revis, Revis. Not the other way around.

Brick is much more replaceable than Revis. He's a decent LT, nothing special. There were 14 LT's who gave up fewer sacks than he did despite the fact that the Jets threw the football less than any other team in the league. His run blocking is average.

OTOH, Revis is special. He covers teams #1 WR week in and week out, and renders them nearly useless. Most teams have to double #1 WR's, the luxury of having a player of his caliber allows the the team to have another player free to cover, to blitz, whatever. Having him is like playing with 12 men.

No way is this a #1 dee without him, or someone close to his ability. And there is no one close to his ability out there.

:face:

Prove it. :rolleyes:

LEFT TACKLE is highly sought after position, and brick being in the top 5 only makes him that much more important.

In no particular order, Brick, Joe Thomas, Ryan Clady, David Stewart, and Jake Long.

These guys protect the QB, which is important on so many levels. Keeping him from injury to finish the season, the teams investment in the QB, to finish the play, and so on.

Oh...didnt realize I was arguing with a DBrick hater...never mind. This is pointless.

And I love how Revis is now like playing with 12 men. lol. Because that was soooo the case when Mangini was here. F Revis, we have Rex. Rex has been great without Revis for years, not the other way around. Put Revis on a different team and he's just another very solid CB. Sorry if that offends all the Revis pole smokers out there but its true. Rex makes Revis special.

:face:

Prove it. :rolleyes:

Left Tackles ranked by sacks allowed

1. Ryan Clady, Denver, 0.5 sack

2. Michael Roos, Tennessee, 1 sack PRO BOWLER

3-T. Tony Ugoh, Indianapolis, 2 sacks* (Started 11)

3-T. Tra Thomas, Philadelphia, 2 sacks

3-T. Jared Gaither, Baltimore, 2 sacks* (He missed first quarter of Philadelphia game because of a shoulder injury)

7. Jake Long, Miami, 2.5 sacks

8-T. Marcus McNeill, San Diego, 3 sacks* (13 games)

8-T. Chris Samuels, Washington, 3 sacks* (Only appeared in 12 games)

8-T. Jordan Gross, Carolina, 3 sacks* (Missed 1 game) PRO BOWLER

8-T. Jammal Brown, New Orleans, 3 sacks* (Missed 1 game)

8-T. Todd Weiner, Atlanta, 3 sacks* (Started 10 games and appeared in 15)

13-T. Joe Thomas, Cleveland, 3.5 sacks PRO BOWLER

13-T. Walter Jones, Seattle, 3.5 sacks* (12 games) PRO BOWLER

15-T. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, NY Jets, 4 sacks

15-T. Bryant McKinnie, Minnesota, 4 sacks* (11 games)

15-T. Max Starks, Pittsburgh, 4 sacks* (10 starts)

18. Brandon Albert, Kansas City, 4.5 sacks* (Missed 1 game)

19. Levi Jones, Cincinnati, 5.5 sacks* (10 games)

20. Mike Gandy, Arizona, 6.25 sacks

21-T. Chad Clifton, Green Bay, 6.5 sacks* (missed 1 game)

21-T. David Diehl, NY Giants, 6.5 sacks

23. Flozell Adams, Dallas, 7.25 PRO BOWLER

24-T. Khalif Barnes, Jacksonville, 7.5 sacks

24-T. Matt Light, New England, 7.5 sacks

24-T. Kwame Harris, 7.5 sacks* (Started 11, appeared in 13)

27. Donald Penn, Tampa Bay, 8 sacks

28. Joe Staley, San Francisco, 8.5 sacks

29. Jeff Backus, Detroit, 9.25 sacks

30. John St. Clair, Chicago, 9.75 sacks

T-31. Duane Brown, Houston, 11.5 sacks

T-31. Jason Peters, Buffalo, 11.5 sacks* PRO BOWLER (13 games)

Sources: Ferguson gets huge extension

By Adam Schefter

ESPN

Archive

The New York Jets' contract logjam cleared up some Wednesday, when the team reached agreement on a colossal six-year, $60 million contract extension with offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, according to league sources.

Ferguson had two years remaining on his initial contract, so he now will be tied to the Jets for eight years and $73.6 million.

Jets blog

nyj.gif

The guaranteed money is $34.8 million, a record for an offensive lineman, surpassing the $30 million in guaranteed money that the Miami Dolphins gave No. 1 overall pick Jake Long.

Ferguson's deal will be signed Thursday and he will be under contract through 2017. The deal ties Ferguson with Long for the highest average salary for an offensive lineman.

Technically, Ferguson's deal is for five years with a one-year option at the end, but the option is likely to be picked up.

Ferguson is the first of four Jets who have wanted new deals to sign one. His deal leaves the Jets now trying to re-sign cornerback Darrelle Revis, center Nick Mangold and linebacker David Harris.

Revis, whom Jets coach Rex Ryan said deserved the defensive player of the year award after last season, has not seen any progress toward his deal this offseason.

The Jets also agreed to a four-year, $3.25 million deal with their second-round pick, guard Vladimir Ducasse, a league source confirmed.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. ESPNNewYork.com's Jane McManus contributed to this report.

3-T. Jared Gaither, Baltimore, 2 sacks* (He missed first quarter of Philadelphia game because of a shoulder injury)

That's left and right, just do the left, some of them mix it up.

EDIT- you copied that from another fan site, Zona actually. 4 sacks allowed is not too shabby for a rookie QB.

That list looks like its from 2008 season...Jason Peters played with Philly last year.

EDIT: Plus Jammal Brown and Walter Jones did not play in 2009.

Please explain how they quantify who is responsible for giving up a sack without knowing the following information:

- What the play call is.

- What the line call is.

- Who is blitzing.

- Who is responsible for picking up the blitz based on the play and line call.

- What the QB's drop is for the play - 3, 5 or 7 step or is he rolling out?

- Who the LT is responsible for.

- Who the LG is responsible for.

- Who the C is responsible for.

- Who the FB and or RB is responsible for if applicable.

- Who the TE is responsible for if applicable.

- What type of defense is being employed on the play.

Unless you see a guy just get flat out beat, which doesn't happen that often, you really don't know who is responsible for a sack. Yours is a BS list.

You cant be serious slats. :face:

Tra Thomas played for Jax last year. And even if this was accurate...If Jake Long or Joe Thomas are the best in the biz, DBrick is 1.5 sacks worse...lol.

You cant be serious slats. :face:

Tra Thomas played for Jax last year. And even if this was accurate...If Jake Long or Joe Thomas are the best in the biz, DBrick is 1.5 sacks worse...lol.

If those stats are accurate Brick is better than Joe Thomas.

Thomas: 3.5 sacks allowed in 12 games = .29 sacks per game.

Ferguson: 4 sacks allowed in 16 games = .25 sacks per game.

Click on the player and it says sacks allowed-

That's who ESPN uses...

I'm on your side here. lol

That's not what I asked. I want to know how they are determining an "allowed sack."

I've been asking this question online for four years now and no one has been able to answer it.

Archived