Jets spending alot less in 2010...Why?

KINGDIRK

not for the tim tebow fans

as for the building... its just a big shiny boondoggle without Darrelle Revis... and players of his ilk

there is no Jets business without the players. Imagine Woody was selling the Jets tomorrow. What price would he get if he traded Revis first? Probably lower than if he had him long term. REvis is an asset, more valuable than the building.

The Jets sold out every seat with a waiting list without Revis. The Jets may well be worth more with a structured salary cap that allows them to have a core of special players instead of one or two.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
let me add another factoid:

the tim tebow rookie jersey is the highest selling rookie jersey ever (since they kept track of this statistic)

legions of chuckleheads buying orange alternate jerseys of the Broncos' emergency quarterback.

does this sound like an economic environment in which a 20 % salary cut is justified?

That's because the University of Florida has a huge fanbase. I swear I think 90% of the Tebow Broncos jerseys were shipped to Jacksonville. You can't throw a rock without hitting some mulletted redneck with a Tebow Broncos jersey down here lately. Jacksonville Municipal Stadium is going to look like Mile High on opening day with all the Tebow jerseys.

You can't base the NFL's entire economic outlook on the sale of baby Jesus' jersey. That's beyond insane.

not for the tim tebow fans

as for the building... its just a big shiny boondoggle without Darrelle Revis... and players of his ilk

there is no Jets business without the players. Imagine Woody was selling the Jets tomorrow. What price would he get if he traded Revis first? Probably lower than if he had him long term. REvis is an asset, more valuable than the building.

Are you nuts? Just do the math on the PSLs.

revis wants more than he is worth. i'd rather have a pro-bowl safety AND a pro-bowl cb not named revis for the same money, combined.

So would the JETS... lol

I want a billion dollars and the cure for cancer.

Are you nuts? Just do the math on the PSLs.

i was using hyperbole but my point was that if the Jets stink they won't make (as much) money. and without Revis they probably stink.

here's a question how much money did the Jets make in their playoff run last year?

follow up how much less money do they make if the 2010 Jets go 6-10 versus 10-6? they get the same shared revenue but the team's performance affects their bottom line.

the NFL rosters are 90% dreck and 10% super stars. You can't just replace the superstars with dreck and say "it's all good"

Revis... along with about 5 other players... literally are the Jets. It's not the shiny building why people show up on Sundays.

ps- here's another indicator for all the gloom and doomers

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/11/business/11rebound.html

i was using hyperbole but my point was that if the Jets stink they won't make (as much) money. and without Revis they probably stink.

here's a question how much money did the Jets make in their playoff run last year?

follow up how much less money do they make if the 2010 Jets go 6-10 versus 10-6? they get the same shared revenue but the team's performance affects their bottom line.

the NFL rosters are 90% dreck and 10% super stars. You can't just replace the superstars with dreck and say "it's all good"

Revis... along with about 5 other players... literally are the Jets. It's not the shiny building why people show up on Sundays.

The Jets No. 1 pick this year was a CB and we went out and got Cromartie. That's not exactly dreck.

Not to mention that Sanchez to Holmes if it works out will put more fanny's in the stands than 10 Darrelle Revis's. Not being thrown at doesn't put backsides in the stands.

You may find this ironic but Revis would actually be a better draw if we had another great CB a great run D and no pass rush.

Do you realize that the team's salary is more than paid for by the gate from 8 home games, and that's after the visiting team gets their cut?

Add in two preseason games, the TV revenue, the merchandise revenue, the advertising revenue and the concession revenue, which after the rest of the bills are paid translates to significant profit.

Do you know why teams love to sell naming rights? Because its a pure profit deal for the team. If the Jets and Giants get some company to pony up 10 million per year for naming rights that money will go right into Woody's and the Mara's and Tisch's pockets. It costs them nothing and the bills are paid way before that money is collected.

You know what a new stadium does? It increases profit margin significantly. The same seat they used to sell for $75.00 can now be reasonably sold for $125.00. They were easily covering their nut on the old figures. It all translates to significantly more money for the owner regardless of who is on the field. The Jets never had a problem selling out, even during the 1-15 year. The only issue with selling out now is the increased ticket prices and PSL coupled with a crappy economy.

Now, your comeback should be that the increased revenue should translate to a higher cap number. Not so fast there skippy. The TV revenue is still the biggest number and the driver of everything. And as Biggs pointed out earlier, a major change could be coming real soon and not for the better.

The Jets No. 1 pick this year was a CB and we went out

and got Cromartie. That's not exactly dreck.

Did you see Cromartie play last year? or the year before? He stunk.

The rookie has promise but best case he's a pretty good player... not a Revis, all time great player.

Not to mention that Sanchez to Holmes if it works out will put more fanny's in the stands than 10 Darrelle Revis's. Not being thrown at doesn't put backsides in the stands.

Holmes is suspended for the first 4 games of the season, how many fannies does he put in the stands for MNF v Ravens and home vs the Pats? 0. Not to mention he's a stiff sneeze away from indefinite suspension.

Kleck said "a major change could be coming real soon and not for the better" but there is no proof of that at all. The TV revenues are huge.

you also talked about naming rights, tickets, PSL, here's the news none of those things get sold if the Jets stink.

The rookie has promise but best case he's a pretty good player... not a Revis, all time great player.

Holmes is suspended for the first 4 games of the season, how many fannies does he put in the stands for MNF v Ravens and home vs the Pats? 0. Not to mention he's a stiff sneeze away from indefinite suspension.

Kleck said "a major change could be coming real soon and not for the better" but there is no proof of that at all. The TV revenues are huge.

you also talked about naming rights, tickets, PSL, here's the news none of those things get sold if the Jets stink.

For now. The current TV deal was signed before the economy went in the toilet bit. A hell of a lot has changed since then.

For now. The current TV deal was signed before the economy went in the toilet bit. A hell of a lot has changed since then.

for regular joes maybe... for owners and network execs not much

fwiw wiki says the network contracts are up in 2013 and directv contract is up in 2014... directv actually signed their extension in 2009 middle of the "crash"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Sunday_Ticket

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television#List_of_NFL_television_contracts

now that we've shot the s--t out of that theory is there another reason why they can ask for reduced salaries?

The Jets sold plenty of seats when they stunk they were sold out stinking. The reality is if their fans can't afford the freight it doesn't matter how good they are.

That said, I have watched an awful lot of bad Jets football over the years and the one constant of that was bad management. I think the Jets have assembled a pretty good management team right now and if that team believes in managing the cap by spreading more dollars around than concentrating it in a few players I tend to give them the benifit of the doubt over a player who is under contract and is looking to get paid as if he was a FA or will hold out.

for regular joes maybe... for owners and network execs not much

fwiw wiki says the network contracts are up in 2013 and directv contract is up in 2014... directv actually signed their extension in 2009 middle of the "crash"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Sunday_Ticket

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television#List_of_NFL_television_contracts

now that we've shot the s--t out of that theory is there another reason why they can ask for reduced salaries?

Before doing the Ferguson deal, the Jets had the 13th-highest payroll.

By John Clayton

Thats right you just got owned by John Clayton...

Maybe you should just step away from the keyboard for a while.

this might be the weakest messageboard retort in the history of binary.

You are acting like pro bowl secondary players fall out of the sky.

Please tell me who the JETS could sign today at Safety and CB for that $$$ that are pro bowl locks.

omfg the steelers are out of money too !!!!!! :rolleyes:

Source: Woodley likely to be free agent

By James Walker

ESPN.com

Barring an unforeseen change of circumstances, a Pro Bowl linebacker could hit the free-agent market next season.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have decided not to give outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley a contract extension before the start of the 2010 season, a source told ESPN.com on Monday. Woodley is in the final year of his rookie deal and will make $550,000 this season, making him one of the NFL's best bargains.

It's extremely rare that the Steelers negotiate with players during the season, which means Woodley would be set to become a free agent next March. The source added that it's highly unlikely the Steelers would change their stance on Woodley between now and September. Pittsburgh is primarily focused on filling its right tackle position and could spend money there following the season-ending Achilles injury to Willie Colon.

Woodley is facing the same dilemma as a lot of NFL players seeking extensions this offseason. New rules during the uncapped year have made things complicated. The league's 30 percent rule, in particular, is the biggest hurdle.

By rule, Woodley could only make a maximum salary of $598,000 in 2010, which is a 30 percent increase over last season. The subsequent salaries could only go up 30 percent for the life of the contract. That means a substantial bulk of an extension would be put into bonuses, which the Steelers are not interested in at this time.

A one-year franchise tag for Woodley also is a possibility, although there are no guarantees that the use of a franchise tag will be included in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Woodley, 25, has been one of the league's most dominant outside linebackers during his first two years as a starter. He has combined for 25 sacks in that span and made his first Pro Bowl last season.

It wouldn't shock me at all if there are a dozen hold outs league wide week 1 of the regular season

Sooner or later teams are no longer gonna be able to afford these high price luxury prima donnas. What happened to recieving a comfortable salary and winning. Its gonna be tough for the JETS to retain all these super stars want money players.

Revis is under contract enough said he signed it we didnt.

Sooner or later teams are no longer gonna be able to afford these high price luxury prima donnas. What happened to recieving a comfortable salary and winning. Its gonna be tough for the JETS to retain all these super stars want money players.

Revis is under contract enough said he signed it we didnt.

When football is a comfortable game I will expect players to accept a "comfortable" salary. When we are asking them to work out at superhuman levels year-round, probably pumping themselves full of all kinds of experimental pharmacueticals (or at least facing those that have) and expecting them to risk their health and lives on each and every play I will live with them demanding crazy money.

it's a really simple problem to solve

if you don't want to pay super stars

don't draft super stars

trade out of the first round every year like Belly

or just draft like crap

but if you draft a Darrelle Revis (or Chris Johnson etc) this is the fall out.

it doesn't matter if the Jets are "being cheap" or not.

Premium players require premium contracts. End of story.

it's a really simple problem to solve

if you don't want to pay super stars

don't draft super stars

trade out of the first round every year like Belly

or just draft like crap

but if you draft a Darrelle Revis (or Chris Johnson etc) this is the fall out.

it doesn't matter if the Jets are "being cheap" or not.

Premium players require premium contracts. End of story.

No what you should do is draft great players, lock them up to max rookie deals, coach them up to perform at a high level early and than unload them for future high picks before they bankrupt the organization or keep them from fielding a complete team.

The Pats won 4 SB unloading high priced unhappy talent and have been able to be competitive while reloading because they always have a ton of picks. What has killed the Pats the last few years is teams have raided their coaching staff and they have lost continuity in player development and on the field coaching.

No what you should do is draft great players, lock them up to max rookie deals, coach them up to perform at a high level early and than unload them for future high picks before they bankrupt the organization or keep them from fielding a complete team.

so correct me if Im wrong

you think the Jets should keep an unhappy Revis until he's about 26 on his rookie deal then trade him for picks.

gee I wonder why Revis is thinking about a hold out.

by the way I love draft picks as much as the next guy (maybe more) but picks are just picks. Revis type players come by once every decade or so.

so correct me if Im wrong

you think the Jets should keep an unhappy Revis until he's about 26 on his rookie deal then trade him for picks.

gee I wonder why Revis is thinking about a hold out.

by the way I love draft picks as much as the next guy (maybe more) but picks are just picks. Revis type players come by once every decade or so.

Holding out does nothing for Revis other than insure he doesn't get paid. We will still retain his rights.

So far this decade their have been many impact players in the NFL who have helped their team get to and win a SB. This past decade alone their have been players like Manning, Brees, Brady, Palomala, Ed Reed and many others who have had far more impact than Revis. You act as if Revis is Lawrence Taylor which he isn't.

Great coaching and a top QB which we may have are far more important than a shut down CB.

Holding out does nothing for Revis other than insure he doesn't get paid. We will still retain his rights.

what if he shows up but goes like half speed. What then? he's not a robot.

So far this decade their have been many impact players in the NFL who have helped their team get to and win a SB. This past decade alone their have been players like Manning, Brees, Brady, Palomala, Ed Reed and many others who have had far more impact than Revis. You act as if Revis is Lawrence Taylor which he isn't.

You named like 5 players. there are 250+ draft picks every year. The rarity is what I'm talking about. The fact Revis is even in the same neighborhood as those guys means it was a lightning strike pick. they can't just take 2 first rounders and replace REvis. They can try but...

Great coaching and a top QB which we may have are far more important than a shut down CB.

leaving Sanchez aside (because ya know his QB rating was like 50 last year)

I dont think this coach is half as great, if you take away his shut down corner. Remember what Ozzie Newsome said when Rex joined the Jets... Rex's system is not the type that can just plug in 'any' corner and be dominant. Heck they have 3 first rounders on the roster right now, 1 being possibly the best cornerback of all time.

You are acting like pro bowl secondary players fall out of the sky.

Please tell me who the JETS could sign today at Safety and CB for that $$$ that are pro bowl locks.

obviously we'd trade revis to a team that would give up one of these guys and a draft pick. 1 down. as far as "falling from the sky" - if we didn't have to prepare to pay so much to revis we could've bid for Atogwe. the Rams signed him for just over 6 mill per. that leaves $10 mill per to extend the stud-cb-not-named-revis we would've traded revis for, which, incidentally is still more than the #2 CB in the nfl is currently being paid.

obviously we'd trade revis to a team that would give up one of these guys and a draft pick. 1 down. as far as "falling from the sky" - if we didn't have to prepare to pay so much to revis we could've bid for Atogwe. the Rams signed him for just over 6 mill per. that leaves $10 mill per to extend the stud-cb-not-named-revis we would've traded revis for, which, incidentally is more than the #2 CB in the nfl is currently being paid now.

You guys would not like Atogwe.

what if he shows up but goes like half speed. What then? he's not a robot.

You named like 5 players. there are 250+ draft picks every year. The rarity is what I'm talking about. The fact Revis is even in the same neighborhood as those guys means it was a lightning strike pick. they can't just take 2 first rounders and replace REvis. They can try but...

leaving Sanchez aside (because ya know his QB rating was like 50 last year)

I dont think this coach is half as great, if you take away his shut down corner. Remember what Ozzie Newsome said when Rex joined the Jets... Rex's system is not the type that can just plug in 'any' corner and be dominant. Heck they have 3 first rounders on the roster right now, 1 being possibly the best cornerback of all time.

You want a laundry list of players there have been a laundry list of top NFL players each decade.

You hit the nail on the head with this one. To tie up a huge portion of the cap on one player when you have a ton of talent at the position is insane.

Rex system seems to me requires great LB and good cover corners. It's very possible that a system of multiple quality players in the secondary without a shut down CB might do very well under Rex. I also have no doubt that if Sanchez has a QB rating around 50 it is highly unlikely with the schedule we play that this team will go anywhere and that's with two shut down CB's.

You want a laundry list of players there have been a laundry list of top NFL players each decade.

yes... and there are thousands of draft picks who stink every decade. they come and go.

You hit the nail on the head with this one. To tie up a huge portion of the cap on one player when you have a ton of talent at the position is insane.

there are 2 things wrong with that logic. 1) we don't know what the cap will be 2) we don't know if Cro is any good. He hasn't been good since 07.

Rex system seems to me requires great LB and good cover corners. It's very possible that a system of multiple quality players in the secondary without a shut down CB might do very well under Rex.

so you think Bart Scott is better than Darrelle revis? multiple quality players... like Ed reed? I don't follow how the Jets can get rid of their best player and still be a winning team.

I also have no doubt that if Sanchez has a QB rating around 50 it is highly unlikely with the schedule we play that this team will go anywhere and that's with two shut down CB's.

if his rating is 80 they can win... with Revis... it's gotta be 110 to win without him.

also who is this 2nd shut down corner? there are only 4 possible shut down corners in the league (to be generous) and Cromartie or Wilson aren't on that list (Aso, Revis, Woodson, Bailey)

the pats* are broke !!!!! :rolleyes:

How will Patriots QB Tom Brady handle his contract issues?

In New England, it’s all about team. Bill Belichick and the organization have stressed the team concept in winning three Super Bowls during the 2000s. Because it’s a team, the Patriots have asked their players to take a little less in pay in order to keep this team together. Like most Patriots, Brady took less and thought little about it.

Now, everyone is doing a lot of thinking. Brady is in the last year of his contract at a time it is very hard to do a long-term deal because of the league’s current labor woes. With Peyton Manning having some of the same difficulties in Indianapolis, the chances of a contract extension getting done for Brady before the start of camp would seem to be impossible.

Brady has a decision. Does he simply report and hope something gets done or does he try to make a statement with a holdout? A Brady holdout could be the biggest story of the NFL this summer. Over the past couple of years, Brady and his teammates have watched a few key members of the Super Bowl teams -- such as Asante Samuel and Richard Seymour -- leave in free agency or trades.

The Patriots face a potential holdout from Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins, who arguably is the team’s best blocker. Top guards get $8 million a year, and the Patriots are offering $6.5 million.

Mankins hasn’t signed his restricted free-agent tender; it’s possible that tender will be reduced to 110 percent of his 2009 base salary, or $1.54 million. He can hold out without getting fined.

Odds favor Brady showing up in good faith and hoping for a deal, but he has made it clear he doesn’t want to take a discount in this next contract. No one knows where the salaries of Brady or Manning could end up. Some think Manning could end up commanding more than $20 million a year.

In the meantime, Brady has to decide if he wants to create controversy by making this a big story by not showing up for the start of camp. The ball is in his court

Archived