• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's a really simple problem to solve

if you don't want to pay super stars

don't draft super stars

trade out of the first round every year like Belly

or just draft like crap

but if you draft a Darrelle Revis (or Chris Johnson etc) this is the fall out.

it doesn't matter if the Jets are "being cheap" or not.

Premium players require premium contracts. End of story.

He'll get his. Who the hell cares if he has to wait? The team is right to take it easy and find the best path they can to hopefully resigning the core four. It's not like Revis is gone in a few months or anything. Plenty of time to work with here.

Not for nothing, but the "core four" was on the team when they went 4-12. They don't exactly guarantee success.

Revis- Rookie Year

Nick Mangold- Second Year

D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Second Year

David Harris- Rookie Year

Was also the year Chad and Kellen split starting, 8 games each.

TO top it off Mangina was coaching. No doubt experience and Rex has made the core four important.

You have to admit they have been better as the years progress.

Broke?

We have aQB that wants to be paid like a top QB. You have a corner that wants to be paid like a top QB. Let's see how this pans out.

I think he was being sarcastic. I think his point was that when other teams aren't signing their top players (Patriots Brady and Mankins, Colts Manning and Wayne, Titans Johnson, etc etc) its a league wide phenomenon. Yet when its the Jets that need to sign their players and are behaving in the same way, we get the "Jets are broke and/or cheap" references that are being perpetrated by writers and or posters who have an agenda or are just plain trolling.

If anything, I believe the lack of player extensions is the result of at best an uncertain CBA situation or at worst collusion.

Um, yeah.... ok... so?

This is not basketball. There's like 53 guys on a team.

Um, yeah....ok... so that's exactly my point.

If you spend a ton of money on these four and can only afford Adrien Clarke at LG you are ****ed. You have to sign 53 + players, not four. Only an idiot breaks the bank on players and caves to every demand when the landscape is so unsure going forward.

If anything, I believe the lack of player extensions is the result of at best an uncertain CBA situation or at worst collusion.

The players union will never be able to prove it, but it's collusion. The owners hold all the cards in the upcoming negotiations, and they already know where the next salary cap will roughly be. They're going to shoot for a longer regular season and a rookie pay scale that will both increase the amount of money they have available to pay vets.

Meanwhile the players will be looking for a bigger chunk of the pie while trying to improve retirement benefits, or eliminate the franchise tag - all while fighting against a longer season and the rookie cap!

The cap will go up like it always does, and the owners know it.

Um, yeah....ok... so that's exactly my point.

If you spend a ton of money on these four and can only afford Adrien Clarke at LG you are ****ed. You have to sign 53 + players, not four. Only an idiot breaks the bank on players and caves to every demand when the landscape is so unsure going forward.

I didn't say they should. I didn't say any of what you're saying I did. Not at all.

The only thing I said was that just because 4 players don't win you a season, doesn't mean that same 4 players cannot be integral pieces.

It seems like you were having some other discussion with me that I was unaware of.

I didn't say they should. I didn't say any of what you're saying I did. Not at all.

The only thing I said was that just because 4 players don't win you a season, doesn't mean that same 4 players cannot be integral pieces.

It seems like you were having some other discussion with me that I was unaware of.

Did I quote you?

This is exactly why I didn't quote your post. My point is more anti-Bit and in agreement with what you were saying. The term "core four" just struck me. They are integral pieces, but if they have to let one walk to keep the others, or other important players then so be it. There was a time when Penny, Abraham and Ellis were thought to be cornerstones of the franchise. Look where that got us.

you can get a pro-bowl CB and safety for $16 mill per combined

Id rather have the best defensive player in the NFL and a productive saftey.

A corner that's as good as Revis with the current rules is about as rare a player you'll ever find.

Id rather have the best defensive player in the NFL and a productive saftey.

A corner that's as good as Revis with the current rules is about as rare a player you'll ever find.

don't think anyone is arguing the singular talent that is darrelle revis. what many of us are questioning is whether he should be paid so much money in a salary cap league. what if he wanted $20 million? $30 million? obviously everyone has a value; we are all debating revis'. $16 mill is pretty steep. again, everyone knows how great he is so that's not the issue that i'm debating, at least.

Archived