Jets Waive DT; Brunell On Deck

Maxman

I don't see the logic behind signing a suck-artist hack to mentor a young QB who has more talent and potential than he ever had. He might cause more harm than good. After all, if Brunell couldn't sort out his own mental junkyard and learn how to better himself at the position, how can he teach somebody else?

Let's be realistic; Brunell can't run our offense. In fact, he can't run a burger chain either.

Also, I was in Houston a couple weeks ago and saw Whataburgers all over town. We don't have 'em here in Calif, so I visited one. I walked in, and walked right out. It was absolutely disgusting.

Point is, when Brunell's sorry-assed football career is over, he can't even flip a quality burger to save his life. The guy's a loser.

Pay more bux, get Garcia.

Youz cwazy. Whataburgers are the ****!!!

Not for nothing, but being a good player does not automatically make one a good mentor or coach.

No, but it makes him a better #2 QB. According to Garcia, he's eager to accept a mentor role. That's a decent indication, IMO, better than just being broke and desperate for cash.

Just because Garcia was a better QB than Brunnell doesn't mean he'll be a better mentor to a young QB. There is a reason he spent last season at home, while Brunnell was backing up Drew Brees on the eventual Super Bowl champions. It could be because Garcia's a selfish douche for all we know.

So, your argument against Garcia is based on the unknown?

It was because Philly had Mike Vick as a #2 and Saints had Chase Daniel, ya think?

Spots 47-53 do not dress for the game anyway, so if you get rid of the 4th qb and get someone else, he just doesn't dress.

That's not true, really. The bottom of the roster changes every week depending on the opponent and the injury situation. Most of the guys in those slots dress for a game or two, while the #3 -and especially #4- QB are always listed as inactive. The spots filled by those QB's could definitely be used for guys who'd get into a few games this year.

And as #27 said:

...there are guys I'd worry about losing if we tried to PS them. Basped (as BBanner says) Conner if he can't start, Ihedigbo, Clowney/Allison, Chauncey Washington. Guys that might be able to contribute if somebody gets dinged, but might not last or be eligible for the practice squad.

Those are precious spots, especially if you have a guys who can help in a pinch or you hope to develop and would hate to lose.

More importantly, if you don't have the trust in a guy to be your #2 after years in the system, what's the sense in keeping him around? O'Connell is a project and hasn't been here long, so I can see trying to develop him, but Ainge and Clemens have been around. IF you don't trust them to be #2s, then **** 'em. I'd prefer a legit roster so that the guys not dressing are guys that are dinged that week. You're right though, it isn't the end of the world like it would be without the inactive list.

That's my point. Garcia in particular has been run out of places and has not had a good rep in the locker room. In Detroit the players called him out for blaming every problem on the rest of the team and not taking responsibility. In SF they thought he was gay and meant that in the most derogatory way possible. In Oakland and Philly he was dumped for not being a good soldier and not having a "mentor" attitude. Just saying you are ready to mentor a young player because you can't find a job otherwise doesn't mean you are or that you'll be good at it.

O'Conell's been around a full year now, too. If he isn't markedly ahead of Ainge or Clemens, then he doesn't deserve extra time here. If they're going to bring in Brunell, they should let Clemens get on with his life elsewhere, and pick between the bottom two for the #3 spot...

Or dump all three of them, save the extra roster spot, and use Brad Smith as the backup on gamedays. He's been in Schottenheimer's system since the beginning, too. Maybe try to slip O'Connell on the practice squad (he's the only one that might be eligible).

And I agree wholeheartedly about Garcia. He's had a bitch attitude his entire career. He might be a better QB than Brunell, but he would be crap in the locker room.

O'Conell's been around a full year now, too. If he isn't markedly ahead of Ainge or Clemens, then he doesn't deserve extra time here. If they're going to bring in Brunell, they should let Clemens get on with his life elsewhere, and pick between the bottom two for the #3 spot...

I can agree about O'Connell. At least now I can. There was a reason to carry him last season. He didn't know the system enough to judge and they couldn't dump one of the others and carry him as #3 when he didn't know the system. By the end of the season (maybe from after the bye) that becomes less and less true and he ends up in the same boat as the others, but at least at first there was a reason to treat him differently.

No, but it makes him a better #2 QB. According to Garcia, he's eager to accept a mentor role. That's a decent indication, IMO, better than just being broke and desperate for cash.

So, your argument against Garcia is based on the unknown?

It was because Philly had Mike Vick as a #2 and Saints had Chase Daniel, ya think?

It's not an unknown.

Philly decided to go in another direction, which was obvious. But it tells you something when a team prefers Michael Vick over you in the locker room. The Saints picked up Brunell in 2008 and liked him as Brees backup, as did Brees.

Garcia signed with the Raiders, stupidly thinking they were going to give him a chance to start ahead of their overpriced idiot Jamarcus Russell. When it became clear to the Raiders that Garcia didn't want to mentor Russell and was going to pout about not playing, even though he was clearly the superior QB, they cut his ass.

Garcia has been repeatedly tossed aside for players who arguably are not as good as him. Why? When the 49ers got rid of T.O. the original thought process was because he and Garcia didn't get a long and they were going to keep Garcia. When they let Garcia go in the same offseason it spoke volumes about his locker room presence.

Garcia has stated that he is ready to be a mentor because he has to because in the past he's been a hateable prick.

And get your timeline right. The Jets initially talked to Brunell about signing about a month BEFORE anyone knew he was having financial problems. Brunell would be interested in this job regardless. You are overly hung up on the man's financial situation which is unrelated to the topic at hand.

And I agree wholeheartedly about Garcia. He's had a bitch attitude his entire career. He might be a better QB than Brunell, but he would be crap in the locker room.

The "bitch attitude" in SF turned out to be TO's, not Garcia's. Also, it was TO who started the gay rumors, nobody else. Great teammate. Filling the shoes of Montana and Young couldn't have been an easy task.

In the event Sanchez can't play, I'd have more confidence in Garcia than Brunell. JMO.

Of course, if Clemens, Ainge, or O'Connell were to show dramatic improvement this offseason, the situation could be totally different.

It's not an unknown.

Philly decided to go in another direction, which was obvious. But it tells you something when a team prefers Michael Vick over you in the locker room.

Get real. Philly was really gonna turn down a young super-talent at a rock bottom price over a 39-year-old with less potential.

And get your timeline right. The Jets initially talked to Brunell about signing about a month BEFORE anyone knew he was having financial problems.

What the Jets knew, or didn't know, is irrelevant. Brunell and his agent were certainly aware of his financial mess as they shopped him around. What's your point anyway? Also, your "timeline" of disclosed facts is based on what? The timing of published reports? LOL.

Get real. Philly was really gonna turn down a young super-talent at a rock bottom price over a 39-year-old with less potential.

What the Jets knew, or didn't know, is irrelevant. Brunell and his agent were certainly aware of his financial mess as they shopped him around. What's your point anyway? Also, your "timeline" of disclosed facts is based on what? The timing of published reports? LOL.

I really don't care about the playing ability of the backup QB as I don't think we're going to see him on the field all that much if at all. I do know that Garcia has a reputation of being a douche. It's that simple.

I want a guy who can be a mentor to Sanchez. Garcia would make sense as he's played in different offenses and is of Mexican-American descent. So since the Jets aren't considering him, doesn't that beg the question "why not?"

There's got to be a reason, right? What I do know for sure is that this guy has been dumped for lesser talents repeatedly. There has to be a reason for that. Teams just don't let QBs who consistently complete well over 60% of their passes and have career 2:1 TD to INT ratios go for no reason. Yet this guy has been dumped in recent years by such QB challenged teams as the 49ers, Lions, Bucs, Browns and Raiders. Wouldn't all of them been better of from a football standpoint by keeping Garcia?

Why is it that the Jets, a team with a GM who has a reputation for doing his due diligence on every possible way to improve the team and a need for a veteran backup to mentor their young franchise QB haven't so much as picked up the phone and called this guy?

Garcia signed with the Raiders, stupidly thinking they were going to give him a chance to start ahead of their overpriced idiot Jamarcus Russell. When it became clear to the Raiders that Garcia didn't want to mentor Russell and was going to pout about not playing, even though he was clearly the superior QB, they cut his ass.

Any decision made in Oakland has zero respectability. Apparently, Garcia could see the real JR before the rest of the organization could. Some credit is due right there.

I really don't care about the playing ability of the backup QB as I don't think we're going to see him on the field all that much if at all. I do know that Garcia has a reputation of being a douche. It's that simple.

I want a guy who can be a mentor to Sanchez. Garcia would make sense as he's played in different offenses and is of Mexican-American descent. So since the Jets aren't considering him, doesn't that beg the question "why not?"

There's got to be a reason, right? What I do know for sure is that this guy has been dumped for lesser talents repeatedly. There has to be a reason for that. Teams just don't let QBs who consistently complete well over 60% of their passes and have career 2:1 TD to INT ratios go for no reason. Yet this guy has been dumped in recent years by such QB challenged teams as the 49ers, Lions, Bucs, Browns and Raiders. Wouldn't all of them been better of from a football standpoint by keeping Garcia?

Why is it that the Jets, a team with a GM who has a reputation for doing his due diligence on every possible way to improve the team and a need for a veteran backup to mentor their young franchise QB haven't so much as picked up the phone and called this guy?

$$,$$$,$$$.

$,$$$,$$$.

:face:

How could a guy who sat out all of last year demand more money than a guy who was the number two on the Super Bowl champs and needs money because of a dire financial situation? Not to mention that Garcia is about 8 months older than Brunell (Garcia turned 40 in January, Brunell will be 40 in September.)

If anything, Garcia would be cheaper.

:face:

How could a guy who sat out all of last year demand more money than a guy who was the number two on the Super Bowl champs and needs money because of a dire financial situation?

If anything, Garcia would be cheaper.

Says who?

And you pretty much answered your first question yourself. Brunell and agent are most likely hustling his services more aggressively because of his financial desperation. Garcia has no reason to panic.

I really don't care about the playing ability of the backup QB as I don't think we're going to see him on the field all that much if at all.

I want a guy who can be a mentor to Sanchez.

Then you're willing to tank the season long before I am, as having a "mentor" for your injured starter will serve no purpose.

Says who?

And you pretty much answered your first question yourself. Brunell and agent are most likely hustling his services more aggressively because of his financial desperation. Garcia has no reason to panic.

Exactly. Garcia is going to be cheaper and is the better player between the two. Why aren't the Jets interested? Maybe its because of his reputation as a monmental douche, perhaps?

You're operating on the assumption that the starting QB will be injured and miss significant time? That's not the way this works.

No, I'm operating on the safe side of reality knowing there's a possibility the starter can get injured, and to any extent.

I doubt most Jets fans need to be reminded ...

Exactly. Garcia is going to be cheaper and is the better player between the two. Why aren't the Jets interested? Maybe its because of his reputation as a monmental douche, perhaps?

Huh? Why would Garcia accept a low offer if he's not hurting for a paycheck? He can afford to be patient for something worth taking, or walk away. Brunell is hurting, he'll take anything but unemployment.

Also, I thought you need regular income to qualify for Chapter 11 & 13.

Huh? Why would Garcia accept a low offer if he's not hurting for a paycheck? He can afford to be patient for something worth taking, or walk away. Brunell is hurting, he'll take anything but unemployment.

Also, I thought you need regular income to qualify for Chapter 11 & 13.

Because he's 40 and he wants to play and he's been out of football for a year already.

This isn't rocket science.

Because he's 40 and he wants to play and he's been out of football for a year already.

There's a few angles to this.

Maybe Garcia wants to play, maybe not.

Brunell has no choice, and no time to wait. The difference is one's urgency is greater than the other's desire.

Garcia has more options, including retirement. He can also take a booth job.

On the other hand, the only booth in Brunell's near future is at a drive-thru window, wearing a paper hat.

Just sayin' as far as vets go, our season will be over if Brunell has to start.

Can't say that about Garcia.

He might have a Super Bowl run second wind left in him - a la LaDainian.

Mark Brunell

Jeff Garcia

Kellen Clemens

Kevin O'Connell

Erik Ainge

None of the names above are leading the Jets to the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl, if Mark Sanchez goes down.

That's if maybe Sanchez goes down for good. Otherwise, one only needs to keep the season alive until he returns.

Who would you have most faith in?

Where have you been on Twitter? I have to come back here to find you. Tsk tsk.

:cheers: I'll be back on as football news takes the forefront. Baseball, LeBron, World Cup... no interest for me.

Archived