The Boss George Steinbrenner suffers massive heart attack

Matt39

According to FOX 5.

RIP, George.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...rticle-7551966

NEW YORK (WABC) -- Eyewitness News has learned New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner has suffered a massive heart attack.

Steinbrenner was rushed to St. Joseph's hospital, and his condition is not known.

Steinbrenner turned 80 on July 4th.

During Steinbrenner's ownership since 1973, the longest in club history, the Yankees have earned 11 pennants and 7 World Series titles.

For more on this breaking story, stay with Eyewitness News and 7online.com.

Every sports fan wishes that they had an owner who cared about winning as much as George did.

The Evil Empire has lost its Emperor. RIP, George.

+1

Passion and Compassion - those are the things I will remember about him. I also thank him very, very much for all the money he has donated to the Jimmy Fund over the years.

RIP

USA Today is reporting it, too. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/07/george-steinbrenner-heart-attack-yankees/1

His meddling during the '80s drove me nuts, but there's no question that, for the most part, he got the Yankees what they needed to win. I met him once in Cooperstown and got an autograph. He was as pleasant as could be.

RIP, Boss.

RIP George.

He built an empire like no other. What he did to that franchise is simply amazing. Although like Bob said, in the 80's he didn't have it quite right yet. He learned as he got older which is impressive.

I shook his hand outside of the stadium in the mid 80's when I was in High School. I said George whatever you do, don't fire Sweet Lou. I got a pretty dirty look.

Every sports fan wishes that they had an owner who cared about winning as much as George did.

The Evil Empire has lost its Emperor. RIP, George.

+2

Say what you want about him, his commitment to winning could not be questioned. RIP Boss, you were one of a kind and you will be missed...

USA Today is reporting it, too. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/07/george-steinbrenner-heart-attack-yankees/1

His meddling during the '80s drove me nuts, but there's no question that, for the most part, he got the Yankees what they needed to win. I met him once in Cooperstown and got an autograph. He was as pleasant as could be.

RIP, Boss.

funny.. i was just thinking about to the 80's with a smile.. thinking of his battles with billy martin... interesting how time changes how i look at things.

he was a tough guy.

i can see billy waiting for him ...

and bob sheppard announcing him.. "As Owner, the boss., george steinbrenner, the boss"

there will never be another one like him.

RIP George.

He built an empire like no other. What he did to that franchise is simply amazing. Although like Bob said, in the 80's he didn't have it quite right yet. He learned as he got older which is impressive.

I shook his hand outside of the stadium in the mid 80's when I was in High School. I said George whatever you do, don't fire Sweet Lou. I got a pretty dirty look.

RIP George. Max, if he didnt get suspended from baseball in the 90's the Yankees would have never had that dynasty. Stick Michael built that team with no interference from the boss ;)

A sad day in baseball, and Yankee history - i am truly sad, like losing someone close - my entire life, I have lived and died with the Yankees - and he was the man putting it all together - ups and downs, the man was an emotional, prideful, and masterful owner that put his team and his fans first. Every move that he made, right or wrong - was, in his eyes, the right move for his team to win. We were lucky to have such a winner in charge of this great organization - not too mention a humanitarian, and one that was more generous with his money than the public will ever know. A very sad day, indeed.

He wanted to buy the Cleveland Indians, but they wouldnt let him. So, he bought the Yankees (with help) instead.

Hes been sick for a long time and is finally out of pain. Me thinks last years WS win was for the big guy.

RIP

I think this years World Series victory will be for the boss.

Steinbrenner really turned around his image after he returned from his suspension in 1993. He let his baseball people run the show and he provided everything he could to ensure that the Yankees would put a championship-caliber team on the field. Thank you George. RIP.

I think this years World Series victory will be for the boss.
And Bob Sheppard.

Might as well just win the next 2, the Yankees are good at making dynasties.

2 in 4 years or 90 for that matter does not qualify.

Archived