The Boss George Steinbrenner suffers massive heart attack

Matt39

Tough ASB for the Yankee family.

I met George 13 years ago in an airport in Charlotte and he was a great guy. Talked to him for about five mintes and when I got back to Colorado a few weeks later there was Yankees hat and jacket in my mailbox that read something along the lines of "please enjoy the enclosed items on behalf of Mr. Steinbrenner".

RIP George.

RIP George.

You were all about winning. While other owners plowed all the profits into their bank accounts, you plowed them back into the product. You called it "re-investing" back in 1976, at a charity event where you were the guest speaker, and I was a teenager attending as an usher.

Your many charitable acts will probably never be released to the public. But there are a lot of organizations that are poorer today, with your departure.

Thanks for everything you did with my favorite baseball team. Some stuff was embarrassing or sad, like the suspensions and the re-hiring of Martin so many times, and the bluster. But it was all part of your bottom line - let's win.

RIP.

Great story from Buster Olney this morning on Mike and Mike and it really is telling about the recent fortunes of the Yankees.

Cashman said George would still call about trading away prospects for big name players all the time. To discourage George from actually pulling the trigger Cashman would tell him "OK, but I'll be sure the let the media know it was your idea."

Great story from Buster Olney this morning on Mike and Mike and it really is telling about the recent fortunes of the Yankees.

Cashman said George would still call about trading away prospects for big name players all the time. To discourage George from actually pulling the trigger Cashman would tell him "OK, but I'll be sure the let the media know it was your idea."

Pretty spineless on Cashman's part.

It is Steinbrenner's club, and if he wants to make a move, he can make a move and it is the responsibility of Cashman to either get behind that, or leave.

It is Steinbrenner's club, and if he wants to make a move, he can make a move and it is the responsibility of Cashman to either get behind that, or leave.

Hey Scott --

Please don't do that in here, I don't want this thread ruined. This isn't the thread for it.

Besides what you wrote is wrong, Cashman's job is to make the Yankees the best they can be. And he is doing a pretty good job of that.

Either way though, not the thread. RIP George.

Why? I think its exactly the opposite. The spineless move would be to just do as the man says and take the heat from the media for it.

He actually stood up to George unlike some of his previous GMs.

Why? I think its exactly the opposite. The spineless move would be to just do as the man says and take the heat from the media for it.

He actually stood up to George unlike some of his previous GMs.

But, once the organization makes a move, you need to stand behind it.

Not say "Oh, that was George's idea, I told him not to do that".

THAT is spineless

Hey Scott --

Please don't do that in here, I don't want this thread ruined. This isn't the thread for it.

Besides what you wrote is wrong, Cashman's job is to make the Yankees the best they can be. And he is doing a pretty good job of that.

Either way though, not the thread. RIP George.

Just read your post after my last, so I apologize for that.

What I am saying is not exactly controversial, and actually defends Steinbrenner.

2 in 4 years or 90 for that matter does not qualify.

Was this really necessary? In a thread in which fans of all teams are paying respect to Steinbrenner, you feel the need to take a shot at the Sox. Awesome.

Was this really necessary? In a thread in which fans of all teams are paying respect to Steinbrenner, you feel the need to take a shot at the Sox. Awesome.

LOL. I couldn't think of a better way to pay tribute to Mr. Steinbrenner actually.

LOL. I couldn't think of a better way to pay tribute to Mr. Steinbrenner actually.
Exactly! The Boss would have it no other way! :cheers:

Archived