Judge says Tank Johnson was a coward

NIGHT STALKER

Man gets 55 years in slaying of ex-Bear's bodyguard

July 16, 2010 5:15 PM

A South Side gang member was sentenced to 55 years in prison today for the murder of Tank Johnson's bodyguard and best friend inside a River North night club today.

Michael Selvie shot and killed Willie Bernard Posey, 27, the bodyguard and best friend of then-Chicago Bear Terry "Tank" Johnson at Ice Bar. Selvie was convicted in February after a protracted bench trial that began in October.

Two of Posey's sisters testified briefly before Circuit Judge Joseph Claps handed down the sentence, saying their brother was not without faults, but was a loving and attentive brother whose absence has shattered their family.

Selvie, 37, of the 2500 block of West 70th Street, maintained his innocence and said he hopes Johnson and other witnesses can live with themselves for lying about him at the trial.

Claps said he had no doubt that the evidence showed Selvie was responsible for the slaying, but reserved his harshest words for Johnson, who left his friend bleeding on the floor of the club when police arrived.

Johnson later lied when he told police he was not present for the shooting. Johnson testified that he lied because he did not want to lose his job and his future with the Bears was already tenuous following a string of legal troubles.

"Mr. Johnson has to live with his behavior that night, his failure to render aid to a person he described as his best friend...his cowardice and his attempts at self-preservation," Claps said.

-- Matthew Walberg

GTFOH. Self preservation trumps all. I don't give a damn if its my best friend. if it comes down to my life or someone else's, best believe I'm forfeiting the other person's life.

GTFOH. Self preservation trumps all. I don't give a damn if its my best friend. if it comes down to my life or someone else's, best believe I'm forfeiting the other person's life.

I do believe you would forfeit the other person's life but that is not the issue here.

The judge didn't criticize Tank Johnson for failing to confront the gunmen but for fleeing the scene afterwards rather than providing first aid for his wounded friend. You were wrong again.

I do believe you would forfeit the other person's life but that is not the issue here.

The judge didn't criticize Tank Johnson for failing to confront the gunmen but for fleeing the scene afterwards rather than providing first aid for his wounded friend. You were wrong again.

How about you just put me on ignore. Im tired of you running behind me on here making your comments that I don't give a sh!t about.

Notice, I dont say a f-cking thing to you nor do I acknowledge your existence on here anymore. Do the same douchenozzle.

I'm not quite sure what business the judge has making this statement. Was Tank Johnson on trial? If not the judge should butt out and save his most damning comments for the guy who took the life of his friend.

the rich NFL player left his best friend to die

the rich NFL player left his best friend to die

I get the sarcasm but I dont think he let his best friend die. The dude who shot him had something to do with that. Nobody knows wtf they'd do in a shock situation like that. Have you ever seen someone get shot right by you? I havent but I've seen someone get stabbed and all that blood and sh!t shuts your brain down temporarily. Noone knows what they'll do until it happens to them, the judge needs to shut his yap!

Understood - is it the judge's role to pontificate his moral outrage to someone who isn't on trial? Why did he stop with Tank Johnson? I'm sure there were others who in the mind of the judge didn't act properly. Hell we gave sainthood to the Chappaquidick kid who drove a woman off a bridge and left her there for over 12 hours. Just so we're clear - I think it's not such a great thing to leave your friend's side when in need. Then again I never had a dude shoot a friend standing next to me. I think my first reaction may be to run while he's reloading.

How about you just put me on ignore. Im tired of you running behind me on here making your comments that I don't give a sh!t about.

Notice, I dont say a f-cking thing to you nor do I acknowledge your existence on here anymore. Do the same douchenozzle.

So. HOT.

"No greater love hath a man, than to lay down his life for a friend."

It doesn't make hima coward at all. He's not a hero but it's impossible to call him a coward.

Who is anyone to say how you should react when your best friend is murdered right in front of you. How the hell do you react to that with the emotion that must be going through his mind. Jesus.

Truthfully, I don't notice you not saying a thing to me anymore. I'm not sure you know what these words mean.

It doesn't make hima coward at all. He's not a hero but it's impossible to call him a coward.

Who is anyone to say how you should react when your best friend is murdered right in front of you. How the hell do you react to that with the emotion that must be going through his mind. Jesus.

But in his own words he did it to avoid losing his high paying job.

Archived