The Official ****Keep Joe Namath on the JN Banner Petition****

i remember shea

Poor "what have you dont for me lately" Joe Namath. My childhood hero. I was 6 when they won Super Bowl 3 I remember it like yesterday with my dad being a JET fan. N.Y went wild Joe was on the cover of every magazine and every newspaper,many I still have to this day.

Im all for new and improved,BUT removing Joe for KJ who really hasnt done much in his short JETS career. Bad move and one us older JET fans dont like.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two of the three active players on the banner now suffered season ending injuries last year, and everyone hates the third one because he has the audacity to want to be paid market value.

I don't think any active players should be on there - unless they play for NE or Miami. The thing is cursed.

Frankly I'm surprised that Namath hasn't fallen off the wagon into oncoming traffic.

This thread made me double check my calender. Yup, its still July not April 1. But this has to be a joke. How could anyone seriously consider taking down Broadway Joe to replace him with a QB who hasn't accomplished anything more significant than Richard Todd?

Sanchez had a solid rookie year. Will he build on that? we don't know. Maybe.

Joe Namath on the other hand is not only a Jets icon, he is an NFL icon. And while there are multiple NFL icons, Joe is the only one of two NFL icons to don a Jets uniform. (the other being Favre, who almost nobody associates with as a Jet).

This thread made me double check my calender. Yup, its still July not April 1. But this has to be a joke. How could anyone seriously consider taking down Broadway Joe to replace him with a QB who hasn't accomplished anything more significant than Richard Todd?

Sanchez had a solid rookie year. Will he build on that? we don't know. Maybe.

Joe Namath on the other hand is not only a Jets icon, he is an NFL icon. And while there are multiple NFL icons, Joe is the only one of two NFL icons to don a Jets uniform. (the other being Favre, who almost nobody associates with as a Jet).

Exactly. Namath did just as much for the sport of football as he did for the Jets. Not to mention he was the first "celebrity" quarterback who had the media following him around everywhere. The guy is an icon of the 60's and should not be thrown to the curb for a few guys who, as good as last season was, have accomplished nothing.

Until we win another, he stays. I'm not sick of the fact that he won SB3, I'm sick of the fact that the rest of the jets teams in history haven't! OUR ONE SIGN OF SUCCESS our ONE BRILLIANT MOMENT he stays!!!!

+1

P.S. I wasn't born until decades after SBIII but I think you've got to show love to the only team that did it for us

maybe thats the problem. Let it go dude. Sometimes not being able to let go of something is the reason why you cant progress.

Mangini even understood this. He went to Cleveland and painted over the wall of legends, saying that things must change. No more Jim Brown etc. Make a name for yourself and stop living in the past. We get it, the Jets won SBIII and we held on for over 40 YEARS to SBIII. We have our first franchise QB since Namath, its time to pass the torch plain and simple.

maybe thats the problem. Let it go dude. Sometimes not being able to let go of something is the reason why you cant progress.

Mangini even understood this. He went to Cleveland and painted over the wall of legends, saying that things must change. No more Jim Brown etc. Make a name for yourself and stop living in the past. We get it, the Jets won SBIII and we held on for over 40 YEARS to SBIII. We have our first franchise QB since Namath, its time to pass the torch plain and simple.

This thread is hilarious.

Beyond the grand silliness of getting rid of Joe, for the first time 15 months we have post on Jetnation.com praising the absolute genius and brilliant football acumen of Eric Mangini.

+1.

When will we stop being so scared of establishing a new identity. 85% of Jet fans never even seen dude play.

We know he's a legend, but seriously....you guys had 40 plus years. Its enough.

You cannot be serious? And especially since you have Tupac as your avatar...:rolleyes: You know, maybe we should just not have any type of history books...just erase everything from the previous year and start over each year. Stuff like museums, HOF's, statues, monuments...etc...abolish them all.

You cannot be serious? And especially since you have Tupac as your avatar...:rolleyes: You know, maybe we should just not have any type of history books...just erase everything from the previous year and start over each year. Stuff like museums, HOF's, statues, monuments...etc...abolish them all.
:cheers:

WTF has Sanchez accomplished to even be mentioned in the same sentence as J.W.N. ??

-Both played and were stars for college superpowers

-Both got drafted in the top 5 by the New York Jets

-Both Play/Played for the New York Jets

-Joe Namath loves Mark Sanchez, Joe Namath loved Joe Namath

-Mark Sanchez started his rookie season. Joe Namath did not

-Joe Namath's record as a rookie was 3-5-1. The Jets done nothing. Mark Sanchez went 10-8, the Jets reached the AFC Championship game

-The book is closed on Joe Namath, a pretty overrated one at that. The book is just opening on Mark Sanchez.

-Joe Namath's record as a rookie was 3-5-1. The Jets done nothing. Mark Sanchez went 10-8, the Jets reached the AFC Championship game

-The book is closed on Joe Namath, a pretty overrated one at that. The book is just opening on Mark Sanchez.

Excellent analysis on JWN from a guy that never saw him play and is relying purely on stats...good call.:yawn:

Excellent analysis on JWN from a guy that never saw him play and is relying purely on stats...good call.:yawn:

It's unbelieveable the lack of respect the greatest Jet ever gets arounds here. Even if Sanchez wins a SB, you don't kick Joe to the curb. It's the equivilent of the Fish doing the same to Marino, or the 49ers doing the same to Montana. Wonder if their fan bases are doing the same thing :rolleyes:

Add the words Super Bowl to your list and it would just be -Joe Namath.

That is not quite complete. I think what you meant to say was......

Super Bowl MVP of the superbowl that changed history and placed the AFL on equal footing with the NFL and thus ushering in a new era in football.

-----

I agree with Irish Jet that as a QB Namath is a bit overrated as a QB. He was not an all time great QB, like Montana, Brady, Marino, Manning etc. But because of the significance of SB3, and the fact that Namath was the face not only of the Jets but of the AFL, he is a greater football ICON than many QBs with a greater skill set and more wins and more rings.

As overrated as Namath maybe. Sanchez is being grossly overrated by many on this board. Sanchez didn't do all that much last year. He benefited greatly from a solid running game and great defense. Put Sanchez on the Lions and Stafford on the Jets and the Lions still go 2-14 and the Jets still get to the AFCCG. Quite possibly the only QB in history with an easier job than Mark Sanchez had last year was Jim McMahon when he won a ring in '85 with the Bears.

Super Bowl MVP of the superbowl that changed history and placed the AFL on equal footing with the NFL and thus ushering in a new era in football.

-----

I agree with Irish Jet that as a QB Namath is a bit overrated as a QB. He was not an all time great QB, like Montana, Brady, Marino, Manning etc. But because of the significance of SB3, and the fact that Namath was the face not only of the Jets but of the AFL, he is a greater football ICON than many QBs with a greater skill set and more wins and more rings.

As overrated as Namath maybe. Sanchez is being grossly overrated by many on this board. Sanchez didn't do all that much last year. He benefited greatly from a solid running game and great defense. Put Sanchez on the Lions and Stafford on the Jets and the Lions still go 2-14 and the Jets still get to the AFCCG. Quite possibly the only QB in history with an easier job than Mark Sanchez had last year was Jim McMahon when he won a ring in '85 with the Bears.

See, you're going with stats again which don't tell the whole story with Joe Namath...how many rings do you think Joe wins if he played on the 70's Steelers? I'm comfortable in saying he'd have the same as Bradshaw.

Namath's knees are what they are because why? It ain't like he didn't have one the quickest releases in football...his o-line bordered on suck for most of his career...but hey, let's just go with the stats.

It's unbelieveable the lack of respect the greatest Jet ever gets arounds here. Even if Sanchez wins a SB, you don't kick Joe to the curb. It's the equivilent of the Fish doing the same to Marino, or the 49ers doing the same to Montana. Wonder if their fan bases are doing the same thing :rolleyes:

Acting like leaving him off the banner of a football message boards fan site is 'kicking him to the curb' is the only real absurdity of this thread.

On the one hand, he's the biggest bright spot in our history, we get it. On the other hand, if you're going to make that argument, we should really have maybe 3 players up there...

Namath

Martin (even though I and others disagree, his overall relevance can't be denied)

Revis (probably most talented Jet ever)

Fact is, there's nothing wrong with making the banner about the present team, and there's nothing wrong with making it about history either. The only thing wrong is acting like it's dumb or blasphemous to take one of the sides.

My stance... I don't care. I look at the banner... never. It's a graphic on top of a football site, and it's not going to change my experience on said football site, and if Namath isn't on there, it's not going to change what he's done for the team in the past.

-----

No I said what I meant to say. All that was needed was the words Super Bowl to prove my point, the rest is gravy, over kill even.

I'm sorry but it's allot more than the "significance of SB3" and being "the face of the Jets and of the AFL" Namath was a great QB.

Injuries plagued his career and affected his totals, but there are football historians who saw all these QB's play and rank Namath among the best they have ever seen.

As for the Sanchez gibberish you spill, he's on the Jets and he played in the "AFCCG" Who cares what he would have did on the Lions?

Oh and if it were so easy, everybody would be doing it, I don't think any other QB's on our roster would have gotten better or the same results.

Acting like leaving him off the banner of a football message boards fan site is 'kicking him to the curb' is the only real absurdity of this thread.

On the one hand, he's the biggest bright spot in our history, we get it. On the other hand, if you're going to make that argument, we should really have maybe 3 players up there...

Namath

Martin (even though I and others disagree, his overall relevance can't be denied)

Fact is, there's nothing wrong with making the banner about the present team, and there's nothing wrong with making it about history either. The only thing wrong is acting like it's dumb or blasphemous to take one of the sides.

My stance... I don't care. I look at the banner... never. It's a graphic on top of a football site, and it's not going to change my experience on said football site, and if Namath isn't on there, it's not going to change what he's done for the team in the past.

I agree with all of this, but it seems like many here make being on the JN banner this great honor.

Well if it is designed to honor Jets players, then it would be kind of hard to honor any of them above Broadway Joe Namath.

Namath

See, my point is, I don't think "all" fans get it. I'm all for putting up the new breed of guys on the banner (since this is (banner) what this thread is all about)...I'm just saying, put history up there too. Hell, if it was all about Joe Namath for me and others, we wouldn't still be Jets fans going forward.

Really? I think we should probably wait at least another season until we toss Mark into the same category as Joe Willie and anoint him the next Jets great QB. Also not sure I could get use to our new QB making the scene with Lance Bass instead of Suzi Storm.

For a short period, JWN was as good as anyone ever to play the position .

Injuries and sh!t Jet teams ruined what should have been a top 10 QB career.

Anyone around to see him play in his prime knows this.

If you think the reasons you listed above put Sanchez in the same league you have alot to learn.

Injuries ruin lots of careers but they happen. If everyone with poor stats could use the excuse of injury then the HOF would be flooded with players who never lived up to their billing.

Namath was an icon, done a lot for the league and was a huge personality. But he wasn't a great QB at all. It's not like his stats were decent, they were awful, horrific for any era. Take away the stats and look at wins - Career losing record. Laughable to say he hasn't been overrated as a QB.

As an iconic figure and as a Jets hero he is certainly legitmate, certainly enough to put him in the HOF. But there's nothing you can say except "I saw him play!" that will change my view. I don't care. I can form an opinion from what I have and in terms of his production, there isn't much there.

-----

This is all speculative bs. how do you know what Stafford would have done? The fact is Sanchez won games, he QB'd this team to being half away from the ****ing superbowl.

See, you're going with stats again which don't tell the whole story with Joe Namath...how many rings do you think Joe wins if he played on the 70's Steelers? I'm comfortable in saying he'd have the same as Bradshaw.

Namath's knees are what they are because why? It ain't like he didn't have one the quickest releases in football...his o-line bordered on suck for most of his career...but hey, let's just go with the stats.

Yeah and while we're at it lets call David Carr a great of the game too.

Idiotic argument.

Injuries ruin lots of careers but they happen. If everyone with poor stats could use the excuse of injury then the HOF would be flooded with players who never lived up to their billing.

Namath was an icon, done a lot for the league and was a huge personality. But he wasn't a great QB at all. It's not like his stats were decent, they were awful, horrific for any era. Take away the stats and look at wins - Career losing record. Laughable to say he hasn't been overrated as a QB.

As an iconic figure and as a Jets hero he is certainly legitmate, certainly enough to put him in the HOF. But there's nothing you can say except "I saw him play!" that will change my view. I don't care. I can form an opinion from what I have and in terms of his production, there isn't much there.

That's just it, you can form an opinion from what you have and in terms of his production, and it can be flawed.

People who did see him play, say he was great, and they are forming that opinion based on actually seeing him play.

So I guess that means you can't think any movie was great based on what you saw and liked, if the reviews and ticket sales were poor. :rolleyes:

This is where you look ignorant, dude.

Namath was one of the top QB's of his era. This was before the QB rating system or the West Coast Offense. QB's threw the football downfield, and no one did it better than Joe Namath. Three times he led the league in passing yards, twice he led the league in yards/attempt - garnering an incredible 8.7 in 1972 with a respectable (at the time) 50% completion percentage. His 8.1 net yards per attempt that year are the 8th best ever for an NFL QB. He's sandwiched in with a lot of modern day QB's there. The next guy from his era is Bob Berry's 1971 season coming in at #39. He was just head and shoulders ahead of his counterparts.

He was surrounded by some crappy teams, some bad coaching, and some bad luck - but this is a guy who was drafted #1 overall and paid a fortune coming out of college for a lot more reasons than his undeniable charisma. The guy could play football.

Namath was one of the top QB's of his era. This was before the QB rating system or the West Coast Offense. QB's threw the football downfield, and no one did it better than Joe Namath. Three times he led the league in passing yards, twice he led the league in yards/attempt - garnering an incredible 8.7 in 1972 with a respectable (at the time) 50% completion percentage. His 8.1 net yards per attempt that year are the 8th best ever for an NFL QB. He's sandwiched in with a lot of modern day QB's there. The next guy from his era is Bob Berry's 1971 season coming in at #39. He was just head and shoulders ahead of his counterparts.

He was surrounded by some crappy teams, some bad coaching, and some bad luck - but this is a guy who was drafted #1 overall and paid a fortune coming out of college for a lot more reasons than his undeniable charisma. The guy could play football.

Quoted for truth, and repped!

I'm not saying he wasn't a great talent. By all accounts he revolutionized the position and was one of the first true personalities of the NFL. It's funny some of you are criticizing me for going by stats and yet your arguement consists of that. He was a good, potentially great QB who played in unfortunate circumstances and his stats suffered as a result, but he's not the first oo only one, he may however be the first and only in the HOF.

You have to judge a guy historically by his production and his record. Neither of which were very impressive for Namath. No one with those sort of #'s is anywhere close to the HOF. He's there for what he done for the game and in that regard he is truly one of the all time greats.

Archived