The Official ****Keep Joe Namath on the JN Banner Petition****

i remember shea

I'm not saying he wasn't a great talent. By all accounts he revolutionized the position and was one of the first true personalities of the NFL. It's funny some of you are criticizing me for going by stats and yet your arguement consists of that. He was a good, potentially great QB who played in unfortunate circumstances and his stats suffered as a result, but he's not the first oo only one, he may however be the first and only in the HOF.

You have to judge a guy historically by his production and his record. Neither of which were very impressive for Namath. No one with those sort of #'s is anywhere close to the HOF. He's there for what he done for the game and in that regard he is truly one of the all time greats.

do yourself a huge favor

read mark kriegels biography of him, it's explains a lot, good bad and ugly

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not saying he wasn't a great talent. By all accounts he revolutionized the position and was one of the first true personalities of the NFL. It's funny some of you are criticizing me for going by stats and yet your arguement consists of that. He was a good, potentially great QB who played in unfortunate circumstances and his stats suffered as a result, but he's not the first oo only one, he may however be the first and only in the HOF.

You have to judge a guy historically by his production and his record. Neither of which were very impressive for Namath. No one with those sort of #'s is anywhere close to the HOF. He's there for what he done for the game and in that regard he is truly one of the all time greats.

Oh boy, here we go again.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

You can't compare quarterbacks before 1978 to quarterbacks who played post 1978. The game was completely different, and throwing the ball was much, much more difficult pre-1978 for a variety of reasons.

All you can do is compare players to other players within their era, and the fact is that between 1967 and 1972, Joe Namath was considered by most people ... coaches, players, fans and media ... to be the BEST quarterback in football hands down. I know because I was fortunate enough to see him play and realize for myself what a tremendous player he was.

He is not a player who can be appreciated for what he was by looking at statistics simply because injuries and bad teams ravaged his career to the point where the guy couldn't even walk right after 1971.

Ironically, Namath's courage ruined his legacy. Had he retired after the 1972 season, he probably would have been viewed much more favorably in historic terms, much the same way that Sandy Koufax is looked upon in baseball ... A meteoric career in which he dominated over a short span of time.

Even still, for those who never saw him play and still choose to call him overrated by analyzing stats alone... understand that 5 of the greatest football minds of all-time ... Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Al Davis, John Madden, and Don Shula have all called Namath one of the best to ever play the position.

That should be enough for anyone.

Oh boy, here we go again.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

You can't compare quarterbacks before 1978 to quarterbacks who played post 1978. The game was completely different, and throwing the ball was much, much more difficult pre-1978 for a variety of reasons.

All you can do is compare players to other players within their era, and the fact is that between 1967 and 1972, Joe Namath was considered by most people ... coaches, players, fans and media ... to be the BEST quarterback in football hands down. I know because I was fortunate enough to see him play and realize for myself what a tremendous player he was.

He is not a player who can be appreciated for what he was by looking at statistics simply because injuries and bad teams ravaged his career to the point where the guy couldn't even walk right after 1971.

Ironically, Namath's courage ruined his legacy. Had he retired after the 1972 season, he probably would have been viewed much more favorably in historic terms, much the same way that Sandy Koufax is looked upon in baseball ... A meteoric career in which he dominated over a short span of time.

Even still, for those who never saw him play and still choose to call him overrated by analyzing stats alone... understand that 5 of the greatest football minds of all-time ... Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Al Davis, John Madden, and Don Shula have all called Namath one of the best to ever play the position.

That should be enough for anyone.

you left out bear bryant ;)

there was also the huge factor playing in the AFL had on him, and sonny werblin

they had to grab attention from the NFL any way they could, which included throwing down field a lot

in fact, sonny werblins wife even told joe at one point about football that, "it's show business"

judging namath by stats is just plain ignorant

some people should stick with the futball they play in europe ;)

you left out bear bryant ;)

there was also the huge factor playing in the AFL had on him, and sonny werblin

they had to grab attention from the NFL any way they could, which included throwing down field a lot

in fact, sonny werblins wife even told joe at one point about football that, "it's show business"

judging namath by stats is just plain ignorant

some people should stick with the futball they play in europe ;)

Europe? What about Latin America?

I think we should put Edison Arantes do Nescient (Pele

Athletes need to be judged based on their era... Comparing qbs from the last 30 years to qbs from the earlier decade is like comparing apples to fricken watermelons. Every old timer I know that saw Joe in his prime views Broadway as one of the games greats. For the youngins who are stat whores... Broadway was the career leader in passing yards in a season and is the first qb to ever throw for 4000 yards and the only one before 1979 to ever do so (his record stood for 12 years).

As far as being on the banner I think it is ludicrous to even consider not having Broadway on it. He is our history. Nothing wrong with putting 3 or 4 current Jets on the banner alongside JWN.

Keep Joe Namath and add Joe Klecko and Don Manyard. They're our retired numbers. Alternate the fourth from other past and current players. Don't sideline those whom we have openly recognized as our greatest! It's a no brainer that just makes sense. Let others earn a spot up there with a retired number!

You cannot be serious? And especially since you have Tupac as your avatar...:rolleyes: You know, maybe we should just not have any type of history books...just erase everything from the previous year and start over each year. Stuff like museums, HOF's, statues, monuments...etc...abolish them all.

????????? Im not sure if I even understand what you're talking about. I think I understand your comparison with Pac and Namath, though there's a difference between having an individual avatar (which you can do if you want namath) and an entire website having the image.

I wouldnt have a problem at all with Namath being your avatar. Im not saying to abolish anything, im talking about the players images on a Jets fan website. Namath has been appreciated, we all love him. Letting another Jet get some burn doesnt take away any accolades or love from Namath. However he's no longer an active Jet and its obviously time to change the culture around here. I say take down Namath and put up Rex Ryan.

P.S. My Tupac avatar is a statement. I miss what hip hop was before the commercialization and the sellout of an artform that the majority of the planet could understand simply for "the fame". Now hip hop is just being pimped for money through autotune and greed...and I dont like it.

P.S. My Tupac avatar is a statement. I miss what hip hop was before the commercialization and the sellout of an artform that the majority of the planet could understand simply for "the fame". Now hip hop is just being pimped for money through autotune and greed...and I dont like it.
Yet you tell the pro Namath banner guys to let it go.

Come on man!

This thread is hilarious.

Beyond the grand silliness of getting rid of Joe, for the first time 15 months we have post on Jetnation.com praising the absolute genius and brilliant football acumen of Eric Mangini.

Im just stating the obvious. our past time is in fact our past time. Its appreciated and respected. Most of us never even seen Namath play but know much about him. Thats not going to change and we're not "getting rid" of Joe. He's not just a Jets legend but an NFL legend, trust me, he's not going anywhere....especially in this city.

However, its time for some new blood, thats it. We love Joe but he's not the ceiling either. We should be looking past that.

Yet you tell the pro Namath banner guys to let it go.

Come on man!

Yes, this isnt the 1-15 Jets anymore to where we HAVE to refer to a man for people to understand what we're looking for. We have our first franchise QB SINCE namath, We have our best defense SINCE the Sack Exchance and we probably have the best coach this franchise has ever had etc.

Its time to pass the torch brooklyn. Let them know its about them know because they're Knocking on the door.

Once hip hop starts heading back in the direction of its original intent then I can take down the Pac and put up one of the youngin's that is trying to influence that direction to maintain the intergrity of the artform instead of trying to create some so called clever hook simply to deem a royalty check.

To those calling him overrated, I wish you would look at more than stats. The game was DIFFERENT back then. Offense didn't have these cushy rules that they have now, you cannot compare him to anyone today, you HAVE to compare him to his peers. He was an excellent QB and the only QB to lead us to victory. Give the man his props.

Yes, this isnt the 1-15 Jets anymore to where we HAVE to refer to a man for people to understand what we're looking for. We have our first franchise QB SINCE namath, We have our best defense SINCE the Sack Exchance and we probably have the best coach this franchise has ever had etc.

Its time to pass the torch brooklyn. Let them know its about them know because they're Knocking on the door.

Once hip hop starts heading back in the direction of its original intent then I can take down the Pac and put up one of the youngin's that is trying to influence that direction to maintain the intergrity of the artform instead of trying to create some so called clever hook simply to deem a royalty check.

I'm all for honoring the current Jets, but have them up there right next to the standard!

I'm sorry but Broadway Joe Namath is still the standard, and none of our current guys deserve to be honored over him just yet.

As for the hip hop you long for, it's dead and it ain't coming back, let it go and listen to the old school stuff.

To those calling him overrated, I wish you would look at more than stats. The game was DIFFERENT back then. Offense didn't have these cushy rules that they have now, you cannot compare him to anyone today, you HAVE to compare him to his peers. He was an excellent QB and the only QB to lead us to victory. Give the man his props.

He's gotten 40+ years of props from EVERY Jet fan. No one can deny that. Yes, its well deserved at that. I dont want it to seem like because I said 40+ years its as if he's not an ICON and one of the faces of the game when he is.

That doesnt take away from the fact that the Jets are for the 1st time (even more than in 98,99) on the cusp and it isnt solely on the arm of a QB like it was over a decade ago.

I'm all for honoring the current Jets, but have them up there right next to the standard!

I'm sorry but Broadway Joe Namath is still the standard, and none of our current guys deserve to be honored over him just yet.

As for the hip hop you long for, it's dead and it ain't coming back, let it go and listen to the old school stuff.

And until we break that ceiling called the "standard" we'll always be SBIII Champions of the world.

And until we break that ceiling called the "standard" we'll always be SBIII Champions of the world.
We will be anyway until we win again.

Let them break through the "ceiling" why tear it down for them?

We will be anyway until we win again.

Let them break through the "ceiling" why tear it down for them?

The ceiling is probably whats keeping them there instead of giving the opportunity of letting them fly. Kinda like what Rex does.

SOJ sindrome is what they call it. Its being scared to fly because we failed so much so we can do nothing but hold on to the only sense of accomplishment we've ever seen from this franchise. Thats a tramatic situation I know.

The ceiling is probably whats keeping them there instead of giving the opportunity of letting them fly. Kinda like what Rex does.

SOJ sindrome is what they call it. Its being scared to fly because we failed so much so we can do nothing but hold on to the only sense of accomplishment we've ever seen from this franchise. Thats a tramatic situation I know.

Villain, you can't be serious here.

If that's the case it's not the "ceiling" that's flawed, it's everything else.

You are better than this!

The only way they will overcome, is by breaking through, not by excusing the facts.

Namath belongs above all of them, it's their job to change that, not ours!

Villain, you can't be serious here.

If that's the case it's not the "ceiling" that's flawed, it's everything else.

You are better than this!

The only way they will overcome, is by breaking through, not by excusing the facts.

Namath belongs above all of them, it's their job to change that, not ours!

Well, from the looks of it Namath is coming down. So HA! lmao.

Well, from the looks of it Namath is coming down. So HA! lmao.
I wouldn't doubt it, but if it has something to do with this handicap syndrome you so elegantly explained, something's really wrong here!

Yeah having Namath in the banner would be the cause of all that. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't doubt it, but if it has something to do with this handicap syndrome you so elegantly explained, something's really wrong here!

Yeah having Namath in the banner would be the cause of all that. :rolleyes:

Im over exaggerating yes, but so you guys with this namath "protest". He's had his run. Let him drink his beer, kiss Suzy and watch Rex and the Rexecutioners win a few championships.

If Namath stays on the site its not like its a problem, however, if he goes then it is what it is. Its not disrespectful to put another Jet on the page is all im saying.

Im over exaggerating yes, but so you guys with this namath "protest". He's had his run. Let him drink his beer, kiss Suzy and watch Rex and the Rexecutioners win a few championships.

If Namath stays on the site its not like its a problem, however, if he goes then it is what it is. Its not disrespectful to put another Jet on the page is all im saying.

How about they win one first?

Look I really don't care if Namath is on or off the banner, but the ridiculousness of some of the posts here is just mind boggling.

If by exaggerating, you are referring to the people here saying Namath was not a great QB, then I agree.

If not, then I don't know what you are talking about, there is no player in Jets history that deserves to be up there more than Joe Namath.

HEY EVERYONE!!!....

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6561884&ref=mf

DTP.BGML@GMAIL.COM

COME MEET JOE KLECKO FOR DINNER THURSDAY NIGHT IN NEW YORK!!!....GONNA BE AN AWESOME CHARITY EVENT FROM 7TO10!.... DONT MISS THE CHANCE TO MEET THE GREATEST JET TO EVER PLAY THE GAME!!....

CHECK LINK ABOUT FOR DETAILS AND EMAIL ME FOR QUESTIONS!

TICKETS ARE GOING EXTREMELY FAST! DONT MISS OUT !!!

HEY EVERYONE!!!....

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6561884&ref=mf

DTP.BGML@GMAIL.COM

COME MEET JOE KLECKO FOR DINNER THURSDAY NIGHT IN NEW YORK!!!....GONNA BE AN AWESOME CHARITY EVENT FROM 7TO10!.... DONT MISS THE CHANCE TO MEET THE GREATEST JET TO EVER PLAY THE GAME!!....

CHECK LINK ABOUT FOR DETAILS AND EMAIL ME FOR QUESTIONS!

TICKETS ARE GOING EXTREMELY FAST! DONT MISS OUT !!!

Thanks again for posting this in 14 different threads. :shutit:

Archived