The OFFICIAL 2010 CAA Football Thread!

uart

As in previous seasons, I'd love to chat about the best FCS conference with anyone interested.

This year it looks like Villanova will be the favorite, with strong challenges from Richmond and W&M likely.

JMU is unveiling an expanded stadium and Richmond is moving to an on campus stadium.

Lots of transfers. Some Northeastern and Hofstra players found new homes after their teams disbanded, and players transferred into the conference from BCS teams:

Mike Paulus (Greg's little brother) is now a QB at W&M (from UNC)

Aaron Corp was a high profile transfer from USC to Richmond

There is also a rumor that Rhode Island is planning a move to the NEC after this season.

Most, if not all, CAA teams have an FBS opponent again this season.

Lets hear it... who wants to talk?

As in previous seasons, I'd love to chat about the best FCS conference with anyone interested.

This year it looks like Villanova will be the favorite, with strong challenges from Richmond and W&M likely.

JMU is unveiling an expanded stadium and Richmond is moving to an on campus stadium.

Lots of transfers. Some Northeastern and Hofstra players found new homes after their teams disbanded, and players transferred into the conference from BCS teams:

Mike Paulus (Greg's little brother) is now a QB at W&M (from UNC)

Aaron Corp was a high profile transfer from USC to Richmond

There is also a rumor that Rhode Island is planning a move to the NEC after this season.

Most, if not all, CAA teams have an FBS opponent again this season.

Lets hear it... who wants to talk?

I am all about the SEC of the IAA. F the FCS label $hit.

CAA's previews:

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=204948217&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=8500&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

UNH's IA winning streak will end. Cannot really see them beating Pitt in Pitt.

UNH will be led by the D. If Toman rebounds and Jellison can fill Kackert's shoes, plus someone to fill Sicko's and Wilson receiving, they can probably contend for the crown. If not, their playoff streak is likely over.

Are they still doing split division until Georgia State and Old Dominion come on-board?

Are they still doing split division until Georgia State and Old Dominion come on-board?

I'm not sure. I doubt it because there are fewer teams, so the split might be uneven now. There were some scheduling concessions for the New England schools though, after Northeastern and Hofstra dropped football, the travel burden became a concern for UNH, Maine, UMass and URI.

The problem for those schools is that their only other option is really the NEC or the Patriot League. Either of which is a big step down in competition. UMass has some FBS aspirations too, so I don't think they'd be interested in the NEC or in non-scholarship Patriot League.

Its a very difficult situation right now with those schools, especially when the league expands south. Villanova and Delaware look to be in the new NORTH division, most likely.

I'm not sure. I doubt it because there are fewer teams, so the split might be uneven now. There were some scheduling concessions for the New England schools though, after Northeastern and Hofstra dropped football, the travel burden became a concern for UNH, Maine, UMass and URI.

The problem for those schools is that their only other option is really the NEC or the Patriot League. Either of which is a big step down in competition. UMass has some FBS aspirations too, so I don't think they'd be interested in the NEC or in non-scholarship Patriot League.

Its a very difficult situation right now with those schools, especially when the league expands south. Villanova and Delaware look to be in the new NORTH division, most likely.

Thankfully, UMASS does not have a IA conference to naturally slide into like UCONN did or the others would be screwed.

While I hope UNH and the others stay in CAA, I think we will see a Yankee Conference 2.0 within a decade. I honestly cannot see UNH and Maine being able to fund trips to potential division rivals Nova and Delaware every other year an additional 1 or 2 road games to the other division. UNH has been playing IA for around a decade, I do not know how many UM have played.

I could see Yankee 2.0 with at least UNH, URI, UMaine, UMass (if they stay), while adding Central Connecticut, Stony Brook and Albany. The latter two who have American East ties.

Thankfully, UMASS does not have a IA conference to naturally slide into like UCONN did or the others would be screwed.

Right. UMass is jockeying for the Big East's attention though. They want to sell themselves as the Big East's road back into the Boston tv market. Right now there isn't much room for them in the Big East though.

While I hope UNH and the others stay in CAA, I think we will see a Yankee Conference 2.0 within a decade. I honestly cannot see UNH and Maine being able to fund trips to potential division rivals Nova and Delaware every other year an additional 1 or 2 road games to the other division. UNH has been playing IA for around a decade, I do not know how many UM have played.

I could see Yankee 2.0 with at least UNH, URI, UMaine, UMass (if they stay), while adding Central Connecticut, Stony Brook and Albany. The latter two who have American East ties.

Well, another option would be for the CAA to try and expand with a few more northeast schools to re-stock the north division. Stony Brook isn't really a CAA-quality program, but neither was Northeastern (or Towson), but at least they seem interested in investing in the infrastructure. Not sure what other schools could be recruited in New England. It's doubtful that any Patriot League schools would switch without a sudden change in their goals.

Right. UMass is jockeying for the Big East's attention though. They want to sell themselves as the Big East's road back into the Boston tv market. Right now there isn't much room for them in the Big East though.

Well, another option would be for the CAA to try and expand with a few more northeast schools to re-stock the north division. Stony Brook isn't really a CAA-quality program, but neither was Northeastern (or Towson), but at least they seem interested in investing in the infrastructure. Not sure what other schools could be recruited in New England. It's doubtful that any Patriot League schools would switch without a sudden change in their goals.

I missed the URI move rumors. Is Maine far behind?

The pickings are slim. Holy Cross is probably the best choice. Central Connecticut, Bryant and Sacred Heart would be roadkill.

If the Patriot League ever makes a decision on scholarships, I imagine that would be UNH, URI and Maine new home. Especially, if they can consolidate all sports into one conference for those schools.

I missed the URI move rumors. Is Maine far behind?

The pickings are slim. Holy Cross is probably the best choice. Central Connecticut, Bryant and Sacred Heart would be roadkill.

If the Patriot League ever makes a decision on scholarships, I imagine that would be UNH, URI and Maine new home. Especially, if they can consolidate all sports into one conference for those schools.

UMass is the only one among the New England schools that MIGHT be willing to spend the money to travel for every game. I'd hate to see Maine go, but if URI goes to the NEC for Football I would imagine that (without a suitable replacement -- or two) the other New England schools won't be far behind.

The problem with a school like Holy Cross is prying them away from the Patriot League and into the world of scholarship football. Schools like Georgetown and Fordham joined as football members because their M.O. is cost-control, if scholarships were ever part of the Patriot League set-up, some schools would probably drop programs or leave the conference.

I suppose though, that UNH and Maine could join up with Stony Brook and Albany to attempt to bring football to the America East conference.

Preseason rankings:

2010 Any Given Saturday Poll Preseason Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points

1. Villanova (81), 2344

2. Montana (7), 2106

3. Appalachian State (2), 1965

4. William & Mary (3), 1909

5. Southern Illinois (1), 1825

6. New Hampshire, 1644

7. Elon, 1578

8. Richmond, 1414

9. South Dakota State, 1359

10. South Carolina State, 1352

11. Stephen F. Austin, 1218

12. Northern Iowa, 1028

13. McNeese State, 1011

14. Eastern Washington, 1002

15. Delaware, 885

16. James Madison, 871

17. Jacksonville State, 720

18. Weber State, 639

19. Liberty, 582

20. Furman, 491

21. Eastern Illinois, 480

22. Montana State, 377

23. Cal Poly, 319

24. Pennsylvania, 277

25. Holy Cross, 262

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Prairie View A&M (43), Texas State (41), Northern Arizona (36), Massachusetts (31), Maine (30), Colgate (25), Wofford (22), Eastern Kentucky (20), Lafayette (19), UC Davis (17), Chattanooga (15), Illinois State (15), Florida A&M (14), Georgia Southern (14), North Dakota State (13), Central Arkansas (11), Youngstown State (11), Harvard (10), Lehigh (10), Stony Brook (10), Southeastern Louisiana (9), Albany (8), Grambling State (7), Dayton (5), Missouri State (5)

UMass is the only one among the New England schools that MIGHT be willing to spend the money to travel for every game. I'd hate to see Maine go, but if URI goes to the NEC for Football I would imagine that (without a suitable replacement -- or two) the other New England schools won't be far behind.

The problem with a school like Holy Cross is prying them away from the Patriot League and into the world of scholarship football. Schools like Georgetown and Fordham joined as football members because their M.O. is cost-control, if scholarships were ever part of the Patriot League set-up, some schools would probably drop programs or leave the conference.

I suppose though, that UNH and Maine could join up with Stony Brook and Albany to attempt to bring football to the America East conference.

I think Fordham has been one of the teams behind the push for PL to become a scholarship conference.

However it shakes out, I agree with you UNH, Maine and URI will form some conference with the teams from PL and NEC that strive for a higher level.

I think Fordham has been one of the teams behind the push for PL to become a scholarship conference.

However it shakes out, I agree with you UNH, Maine and URI will form some conference with the teams from PL and NEC that strive for a higher level.

If Fordham wanted to play scholarship football, they would have joined the CAA when it was still the A10.

If Fordham wanted to play scholarship football, they would have joined the CAA when it was still the A10.

Everything I have read, even one from a Georgetown perspective, is Fordham debating going scholarship.

yeah i gotta give it up for my boys at lafayette, they'll have a down year but ill be rootin for them, watch for mark layton tho he's a player, colgate will be legit for the patriot league.. lehigh may rebound... and yeah other FCS schools, nova is gona be legit... watch richmond be down, the entire staff went to UVA

but just so u guys know.. fordham is on scholarship, they can't win the patriot league championship for the next two years and then they r goin to the A10

yeah i gotta give it up for my boys at lafayette, they'll have a down year but ill be rootin for them, watch for mark layton tho he's a player, colgate will be legit for the patriot league.. lehigh may rebound... and yeah other FCS schools, nova is gona be legit... watch richmond be down, the entire staff went to UVA

but just so u guys know.. fordham is on scholarship, they can't win the patriot league championship for the next two years and then they r goin to the A10

Cool.

Anything on Holy Cross?

Cool.

Anything on Holy Cross?

well they are stayin in the patriot league, only fordham is leavin as of now... but in terms of how good theyll be..... they arent going to be what they were with dominic randolph, randolph dissected teams, i cant see the backup bein close, it took randolph to a 5th year to win a championship, they always got a good line tho, so give anybody time and they'll be good... but i see them being 3rd or 4th in the patriot league

UMass wont be going to Div1 any time soon even though the students and alumni would love to.

umass is already D1... if ur talkin about FBS rather than FCS, then yeah but i think they r leaning to taking the jump with liberty and app st who r tryin to make the move in the next 3 years

well they are stayin in the patriot league, only fordham is leavin as of now... but in terms of how good theyll be..... they arent going to be what they were with dominic randolph, randolph dissected teams, i cant see the backup bein close, it took randolph to a 5th year to win a championship, they always got a good line tho, so give anybody time and they'll be good... but i see them being 3rd or 4th in the patriot league

umass is already D1... if ur talkin about FBS rather than FCS, then yeah but i think they r leaning to taking the jump with liberty and app st who r tryin to make the move in the next 3 years

No, he is talking of IA or as the unwashed NCAA refers to as FBS.

If UMass does not get a Big East invite, then I seriously cannot see them going to IA as things stand now.

While I am sure the MAC would take them to balance that conference out, that would hardly be a great sell for UMass. Anyone looking forward to the UMass v. Toledo thread?

Independent? Doubtful.

Unless, they can pull some of the other IAA schools with aspirations (Delaware?) along with Navy and Army to create a Atlantic Football Conference at that level, then they are bound to IAA.

Now, if the conference restructuring ever happens and super 16 team conferences are formed. Then I could see them making that change.

I seriously hate when people do that too. FCS is Division 1. It's not 1A and/or FBS, but it's D-1.

I dont consider I-AA to be D-1.

And UMass will not be making the jump. The administration doesnt want to. The faculty doesnt want to. And there is no money to support it. They barely do a decent job supporting the current football program. Their stadium is a concrete embarrassment and their locker rooms are even worse. They had their chance in the mid-90's and passed on it due to lack of funding and support.

No, he is talking of IA or as the unwashed NCAA refers to as FBS.

If UMass does not get a Big East invite, then I seriously cannot see them going to IA as things stand now.

While I am sure the MAC would take them to balance that conference out, that would hardly be a great sell for UMass. Anyone looking forward to the UMass v. Toledo thread?

Independent? Doubtful.

Unless, they can pull some of the other IAA schools with aspirations (Delaware?) along with Navy and Army to create a Atlantic Football Conference at that level, then they are bound to IAA.

Now, if the conference restructuring ever happens and super 16 team conferences are formed. Then I could see them making that change.

UMass will not get a Big East invite because they dont have a major market following. Eastern Massachusetts doesnt give a rats a$$ about UMass.

UMass wont go 1-A because they dont want to fund it and the backlash against it will be tremendous.

I would love nothing more than UMass being a 1-A football team. I wanted it since the day I stepped on campus. But I just dont see it happening until the school and the administration takes the athletic department seriously.

You can call it whatever you want, but it will always be lesser than real D-1 football.

UNH says otherwise. ;)

UNH 35 Rutgers 24

UNH 34 Northwestern 17

UNH 48 Marshall 35

UNH 28 Army 10

UNH 23 ball State 16

Half of IA is a joke compared to the bigger schools.

You can call it whatever you want, but it will always be lesser than real D-1 football.

It will always be lesser than FBS football. HOWEVER, your opinion isn't what designates what is and is-not Division I football, the NCAA is. According to the NCAA the Villanova Wildcats are the 2009 NCAA DIVISION 1 football champions.

It sure as hell isn't division 2. That's a whole 'nother thing entirely.

UNH says otherwise. ;)

UNH 35 Rutgers 24

UNH 34 Northwestern 17

UNH 48 Marshall 35

UNH 28 Army 10

UNH 23 ball State 16

There's another argument... The top of FCS is better than the bottom of FBS. Even BCS-conference teams.

It will always be lesser than FBS football. HOWEVER, your opinion isn't what designates what is and is-not Division I football, the NCAA is. According to the NCAA the Villanova Wildcats are the 2009 NCAA DIVISION 1 football champions.

It sure as hell isn't division 2. That's a whole 'nother thing entirely.

Never said my opinion meant more than what the NCAA says. Its my opinion. And you can run around with a D1 championship all you want. When UMass won it all it meant very little since its not the top level. The only real NCAA championship the school has had and its still meaningless because of the lousy level they play in

UNH says otherwise. ;)

UNH 35 Rutgers 24

UNH 34 Northwestern 17

UNH 48 Marshall 35

UNH 28 Army 10

UNH 23 ball State 16

Lets see UNH or any D1AA school play a full schedule and we'll see how they are. Cant wait to watch UMass go for their cash grab at Michigan this year and get slaughtered. Going to be fun.

And yes, half of D1A sucks and doesnt belong competing with the big boys. Would be a lot better if they limited 1a to the 60 best teams. And have some sort of relegation system. That would be cooler than the bullcrap with 1a and their BCS mess and 1aa with their lack of any real respect for teams in AA.

And top of Div II is better than the bottom of D1FCS and so on...

It's a bigger gap. There are def. DII schools that can beat up on Georgetown Football though...

But that's because Georgetown is calling it's DIII program FCS.

Lets see UNH or any D1AA school play a full schedule and we'll see how they are. Cant wait to watch UMass go for their cash grab at Michigan this year and get slaughtered. Going to be fun.

And yes, half of D1A sucks and doesnt belong competing with the big boys. Would be a lot better if they limited 1a to the 60 best teams. And have some sort of relegation system. That would be cooler than the bullcrap with 1a and their BCS mess and 1aa with their lack of any real respect for teams in AA.

Are we still on for the UMass/UNH game at Gillette on October 23rd? I wonder if the schools are getting any $$ out of the game?

It's a UNH home game so if there is any money in it, UNH would get it.

Of course we are! It might not be the best college football, but it still beats Lowell football!!!laugh.gif

No need to make fun of Lowell's lack of D3 Football! Do you know if tickets are on sale yet? It's a 3:30 kick-off on a Saturday afternoon so I'm pretty sure the tailgate is going to be better than the game :lol:

No need to make fun of Lowell's lack of D3 Football! Do you know if tickets are on sale yet? It's a 3:30 kick-off on a Saturday afternoon so I'm pretty sure the tailgate is going to be better than the game :lol:

But its so easy to make fun of Lowell!!! Hey, Lowell will support us when we go real D1 right? Lowell fans wont have a problem rooting for the real state university, will they? cool.gif

They are on sale through ticketmaster... just waiting to get confirmation of my availability that weekend... dont forsee a problem...they have the choice of either UMass or UNH side of the field...so you know its going to be a sellout. laugh.gif

Parking lots open at 11:30am and no charge for parking.

But its so easy to make fun of Lowell!!! Hey, Lowell will support us when we go real D1 right? Lowell fans wont have a problem rooting for the real state university, will they? cool.gif

They are on sale through ticketmaster... just waiting to get confirmation of my availability that weekend... dont forsee a problem...they have the choice of either UMass or UNH side of the field...so you know its going to be a sellout. laugh.gif

Parking lots open at 11:30am and no charge for parking.

No charge for parking? Are you trying to tell me that Kraft isn't trying to make money from this clash of titans?!

Archived