The OFFICIAL 2010 CAA Football Thread!

uart

He's hoping we go to Five Guys for lunch, watch a pregame movie, and go clothes shopping to pass the time...

Does that mean our lady friends are making the trip? How about this: You and I tailgate while the ladies go shopping. That sounds like a plan to me!

Does that mean our lady friends are making the trip? How about this: You and I tailgate while the ladies go shopping. That sounds like a plan to me!

my girl is a better tailgater than shopper. biggrin.gif although we did walk through Christmas Tree shops and Bed Bath and Beyond when we went down there to watch practice.... hmmm... maybe she's been lying to me!

my girl is a better tailgater than shopper. biggrin.gif although we did walk through Christmas Tree shops and Bed Bath and Beyond when we went down there to watch practice.... hmmm... maybe she's been lying to me!

We will park in P2 (by the Showcase Cinema) and let the girls do what they want. I'll be firing up the grill and drinking a beer.

And yes, half of D1A sucks and doesnt belong competing with the big boys. Would be a lot better if they limited 1a to the 60 best teams. And have some sort of relegation system. That would be cooler than the bullcrap with 1a and their BCS mess and 1aa with their lack of any real respect for teams in AA.

I agree.

ACC, BE, B12, B10, PAC10, SEC and f'ing Notre Dame = 65.

Good start.

Are we still on for the UMass/UNH game at Gillette on October 23rd? I wonder if the schools are getting any $$ out of the game?

It's a UNH home game so if there is any money in it, UNH would get it.

Wait... why would UNH want to play a "home game" in Foxboro?

Edit: ESPECIALLY against UMass.

lil bit has some hate to the smaller D1 schools... Honestly the way offenses and defenses are ran and the way training is.. The FCS schools can compete with the FBS.. Look at teams maryland and virginia lost to last year.. And those are pretty well regarded programs.. Now if your gona talk about like top 15 teams.. I'll give u that.. But FCS schools shouldnt be ignored

Wait... why would UNH want to play a "home game" in Foxboro?

Edit: ESPECIALLY against UMass.

Its a 2 year deal so they'll be playing there next year too.

Its a way to showcase 2 good New England teams who dont get any attention. And it might be a precursor to Gillette holding more meaningful games in the future. And if UMass ever went D1 FBS it would most likely be their home stadium. And with Kraft's shopping mall it generates more foot traffic for the stores there.

lil bit has some hate to the smaller D1 schools... Honestly the way offenses and defenses are ran and the way training is.. The FCS schools can compete with the FBS.. Look at teams maryland and virginia lost to last year.. And those are pretty well regarded programs.. Now if your gona talk about like top 15 teams.. I'll give u that.. But FCS schools shouldnt be ignored

I dont hate, I accept it for what it is. Its not big time college football. But there are some good players. heck, 3 Minutemen were playing in tonights Jets/Giants game (Ducasse, Cruz, Ihedigbo)

The BCS is not an equivalent of the best 65 football teams.

Boise is lightyears better than Northwestern, for example.

I hate FBS because of their stupid bowl system and BCS rankings. Its a joke. I havent watched a "title" game or any bowl games that didnt involve a team I was rooting for in years. A playoff like FCS has is the only way to decide a champion.

Luckily college football will eventually kill off whats good about the game thanks to chasing the almighty dollar. Then we'll get real reform and real champions.

Maryland and UVA suck. They are not "well regarded programs" in big time College Football.

LBS and I are going down to Foxboro in October to watch LBS' Alma mater take on UNH. LBS and I are on the same page page when it comes to 1-AA Football. No one gives a crap.

The BCS is not an equivalent of the best 65 football teams.

Boise is lightyears better than Northwestern, for example.

No doubt.

All things being equal, if they were in one of the top 6, they would be a .500 st best team. It is easy to get your team up for 1 or 2 games a year. Doing it every week is another thing.

If they were in the PAC 10 they would be the equivalent of WSU. Good sometimes. Bad other times.

Gainzo

I agree to a point. They are on the same level as BC. A decent program. Not on the top tier or the next one down, but teams that have ebbs and flows.

virginia and maryland arent well regarded? They r solid programs.. Maybe havent had great success for the past couple years.. And no one cares about smaller schools? Plenty of people do.. Maybe not for a fan like urself... But the top bcs schools r the top 5 percent of alot of the incredibly talented players so yeah its easy to watch them and say everyone else is irrelevant.. But there is good ball being played outside of those teams...... Maybe im just offended cuz i played 1aa..

I just think theres parity in college football for a reason.. So stop hatin on smaller school football

virginia and maryland arent well regarded? They r solid programs.. Maybe havent had great success for the past couple years.. And no one cares about smaller schools? Plenty of people do.. Maybe not for a fan like urself... But the top bcs schools r the top 5 percent of alot of the incredibly talented players so yeah its easy to watch them and say everyone else is irrelevant.. But there is good ball being played outside of those teams...... Maybe im just offended cuz i played 1aa..

I just think theres parity in college football for a reason.. So stop hatin on smaller school football

I'm not hating on small school football. How are Akron, Ball State, Dayton, etc D1 programs? That is a joke. Actually the MAC is a joke.

I'm not hating on small school football. How are Akron, Ball State, Dayton, etc D1 programs? That is a joke. Actually the MAC is a joke.

It is the NCAAs fault. They made that rule (which I cannot remember) which forced programs like Georgetown to upgrade from D3 in order to qualify as a D1 program/.

It is the NCAAs fault. They made that rule (which I cannot remember) which forced programs like Georgetown to upgrade from D3 in order to qualify as a D1 program/.

Exactly right. Same story for half of the Pioneer football league.

The rule is that if you play Basketball in D1, football has to be D1 -- and vice-versa. Also, if you are D1 in either basketball or football you are required to be a "full member" of division 1 (meaning, you play all of your sports in Division 1 -- or at least most of them). D3 schools like Johns Hopkins are allowed to play non-revenue sports (Lacrosse, in this case) in Division 1, however. There are a couple of hockey-schools that do the same thing, I think.

D3 schools like Johns Hopkins are allowed to play non-revenue sports (Lacrosse, in this case) in Division 1, however. There are a couple of hockey-schools that do the same thing, I think.

Hockey is a little bit different. The University of Lowell (now UMass-Lowell) jumped from D2 to D1 in Hockey in 1984. All of the other sports at Lowell are D2. They were pretty much grandfathered in as the rules have changed a lot since Title IX came into effect. It is virtually impossible nowadays for schools to upgrade to D1 in any sport without adding a woman's team.

The NCAA are being jerks as usual!

• 2 weeks later...

Villanova is now considering an offer to join Big East football.

Do not know if they can afford it, but if they can it makes sense. Even a low rung 1A football conference probably banks a lot of cash. Nova couldn probably afford a Women's Crew team now. ;)

Do not know if they can afford it, but if they can it makes sense. Even a low rung 1A football conference probably banks a lot of cash. Nova couldn probably afford a Women's Crew team now. ;)

If they make the move, Women's Crew will make out well. Currently they have 0 scholarships. They'll get about 20 out of it (Title IX).

How are you guys going to seriously try to talk CAA football and NOT mention JMU's win over # 13 Virginia Tech yesterday? I'm disappointed.

That was a HUGE win for JMU. JMU basically just took a giant dump on Boise State's lawn.

Part of me thinks that VaTech is a bit overrated though.

JMU got bumped from #12 all the way to #3. ... and how the mighty have fallen: Montana's loss to Cal Poly dropped them out of the top-5.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/tsn-div-1aa-poll.htm

1. Villanova

2. Appy State

3. James Madison

4. Jacksonville State

5. SIU

6. Montana

8. New Hampshire

9. Richmond

11. Delaware

12. William & Mary

16. UMass

Also receiving votes: Maine (1), Old Dominion (1)

and hey, after going winless last year, Georgetown football opened the season 2-0, and some tard-voter(s) gave them 6 votes. I hate this poll.

Villanova laid a WHOOPIN' on Towson. The stadium was packed until halftime, then about half the people left because it was a blowout.

I'm a little surprised that URI beat UNH.

JMU probably can move up to #2 in the polls on their bye week after Montana lost again. The Grizz's only win so far is against a bad DII team, are they really falling off this year, or is Eastern Washington's red turf just THAT much of an advantage?

...and how about Old Dominion giving W&M a scare?

Villanova laid a WHOOPIN' on Towson. The stadium was packed until halftime, then about half the people left because it was a blowout.

I'm a little surprised that URI beat UNH.

JMU probably can move up to #2 in the polls on their bye week after Montana lost again. The Grizz's only win so far is against a bad DII team, are they really falling off this year, or is Eastern Washington's red turf just THAT much of an advantage?

...and how about Old Dominion giving W&M a scare?

I thought last year would have been a step back, but they had talent that raised up to the challenge. This might be that year.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived