Herm lovers, why? Seriously, why? I mean it, why?

SouthernJet

No kiddin, this guy is a major fool.

Again, the clock management.

Coupled with lack of disipline (team not knowing clock running out, silly penalities) etc.

How many freakin years do you give this 'fast path' hire to learn.

The NEW YORK JETS deserve a qualified coach not a coach who the NFL commisioner thinks we 'should give a chance to'.

No kiddin, this guy is a major fool.

Again, the clock management.

Coupled with lack of disipline (team not knowing clock running out, silly penalities) etc.

How many freakin years do you give this 'fast path' hire to learn.

The NEW YORK JETS deserve a qualified coach not a coach who the NFL commisioner thinks we 'should give a chance to'.

He gives a heck of an interview though. :shock:

im a realist. Firing Herm solves nothing. He's not the problem. it seems like fate/luck has aligned against the Jets right now, Im not sure that's a function of coaching. They lost their franchise QB their backup QB and their franchise center and they looked like it last night. When this season started I said for the Jets to have any success they would need to catch good breaks along the way. Pretty much from the get go the Jets have been catching bad breaks. I don't see how firing the coach changes that.

im a realist. Firing Herm solves nothing. He's not the problem. it seems like fate/luck has aligned against the Jets right now, Im not sure that's a function of coaching. They lost their franchise QB their backup QB and their franchise center and they looked like it last night. When this season started I said for the Jets to have any success they would need to catch good breaks along the way. Pretty much from the get go the Jets have been catching bad breaks. I don't see how firing the coach changes that.

how u feel about his clock management after 5 years?

how u feel about his clock management after 5 years?

seriously what was so bad about it last night?

the Jets spotted the Falcons 17 points on the road in the first quarter and a half and you guys are talking about clock management? What clock was there to be managed? The game was friggin over after the 3rd Vinny fumble.

This team is bad right now and no other coach in the NFL could win with these guys the way things are. Bad players are just bad players.

But that being said, our coach did not get injured. Just because the team is horrible does not mean that the coach can be an idiot. Just when I thought I had seen all that herm could possibly F up, I watch that debacle with the clock unfold last night. It is really just pathetic. Furthermore, his players aren't even acknowledging him. He tried to get on Vinny's case and Vinny just patted him on the ass. Somebody tell me if he would ever do that to Parcells. They are losing their respect for him and it is becoming obvious. The man will hurt us when we do ghave a good team.

the Jets spotted the Falcons 17 points on the road in the first quarter and a half and you guys are talking about clock management? What clock was there to be managed? The game was friggin over after the 3rd Vinny fumble.

Because things on the fild can be fixed with good players. Just because things don't go well on the field, that doesn't mean your HC can just take the rest of the night off. If he can't keep his head in the game at all times, then what makes him any better than Vinny?

:shock:

ill grant that he has had bad luck, but bitonti, cmon already. does an anvil have to fall on your head at this point? listen to the sound clips...this is the guy who just said that if they keep the opponent to 3 tds and 3 fgs, they will have a good shot at winning the game. who says this stuff? it like having a doctor tell you that your elbow pain is related to your testicles because they are connected through the neck bone. its enough already.

sometimes i wonder if its just pride that prevents you from admitting the obvious. be careful what u wish for, id like to see herm stick around for the next 10 years just to see you finally break down honey bunny

maybe herm is the harbringer of this disastrous luck - i don't know. In that case maybe he should be fired. What i do know is that blaming Herm for the current state of the Jets is not unlike blaming Bush for the current state of New Orleans. If you hate a person hard enough you can blame them for anything.

i mean these threads about clock management and not yelling at the players are perfect examples - hey don't want to break it to ya but they were down 17 -0 in the first quarter worrying about clock management is like tending to a paper cut and ignoring a bullet hole.

i mean these threads about clock management and not yelling at the players are perfect examples - hey don't want to break it to ya but they were down 17 -0 in the first quarter worrying about clock management is like tending to a paper cut and ignoring a bullet hole.

That statement is like backing Al Gore for inventing the internet. :shock:

I hate to bring "facts"into the discussion bit, but the score was 20-7 at the time of Hermy's clock meltdown.

Coles picks up 12 yards and is at the Falcon 48 yard line. If Hermy has another timeout, he could have had another play to get into FG range.

Making it a 20-10 game going into the half, not to mention the momentum of getting a last second FG.

Bit-

I've seen high school and Pop Warner coaches who on Day 1 have a better grasp of how the clock works than Edwards. In fact, most coaches at the lowest level of football pick it up right away. He even hired Curl to do it for him.

Games are always small battles within the game. if he managed to get that time enough to mount a longer drive, who knows? ANd he's still taking or allowing his QB to takie timeouts at odd times for nonsense.

The hurry up consists of Hermie screaming "HURRY UP!" rather than anything remotely practiced.

After 5 years Edwards cannot get the basics right. Expecting a different outcome with the same idiocy each week reigning is clinical insanity.

That statement is like backing Al Gore for inventing the internet. :shock:

I hate to bring "facts"into the discussion bit, but the score was 20-7 at the time of Hermy's clock meltdown.

Coles picks up 12 yards and is at the Falcon 48 yard line. If Hermy has another timeout, he could have had another play to get into FG range.

Making it a 20-10 game going into the half, not to mention the momentum of getting a last second FG.

And the kickoff to start the second half.

the QB's were the ones taking the timeouts in bad pre-snap situations not Herm.

granted his clock management is not perfect. what happens if You guys get your wish they bring in some clock management guru and all of a sudden the team springs leaks in other areas? there is no perfect coach out there waiting to be hired.

And if Herm said every time it happened to JUST RUN THE EFFIN' PLAY OR CALL AND AUDIBLE INSTEAD OF PISSING AWAY A VALUABLE TO, it would've stopped a long time ago. Every issue that's raised that reflects his incomeptence, you quickly find someone else at fault. Guess what-HE'S THE HEAD COACH! He runs to show, and it's a disaster.

the QB's were the ones taking the timeouts in bad pre-snap situations not Herm.

granted his clock management is not perfect. what happens if You guys get your wish they bring in some clock management guru and all of a sudden the team springs leaks in other areas? there is no perfect coach out there waiting to be hired.

Bit- Enough of your Jackie Chiles Defense of your frat brother. It is well known in the NFL that our beloved HC wears a dunce hat. It is obvious that he has no F'n Clue and hasn't learned anything in 5 years. There can be no defense for him. So keep on defending this moron! If the hat fits herm, it must fit bit

The problems at the end of the first half were caused more by referee error than Herm's lack of clock management. I am in the "fire Herm" camp, but let's be fair. We lost a timeout due to a bad call by the refs and that play with Coles was obviously a clock stopper. A coach can only do so much when the refs are lined up against you. By the way, the refs admitted they goofed on the timeout thing.

The problems at the end of the first half were caused more by referee error than Herm's lack of clock management. I am in the "fire Herm" camp, but let's be fair. We lost a timeout due to a bad call by the refs and that play with Coles was obviously a clock stopper. A coach can only do so much when the refs are lined up against you. By the way, the refs admitted they goofed on the timeout thing.

You make a great point that begs the question:

Why wasn't Herm dressing them down? It's like he just takes it up the butt and we're all supposed to be like oh well, ha ha ha it's only a game.

I've never seen Herm once scream at an official. I guess he thinks he's running for mayor and not managing a football game.

Bit- Enough of your Jackie Chiles Defense of your frat brother. It is well known in the NFL that our beloved HC wears a dunce hat. It is obvious that he has no F'n Clue and hasn't learned anything in 5 years. There can be no defense for him. So keep on defending this moron! If the hat fits herm, it must fit bit

and Woody is the silent Judge Ito letting this trainwreck happen

Stonehands wrote:

JetMoses wrote:

You make a great point that begs the question:

Why wasn't Herm dressing them down? It's like he just takes it up the butt and we're all supposed to be like oh well, ha ha ha it's only a game.

I've never seen Herm once scream at an official. I guess he thinks he's running for mayor and not managing a football game.

He was busy prepping for his halftime chat with Michell Tafoya, and that's not a joke.

Again-out HC's primary concern at that time was face time on national TV rather than his team. Watch it if you Tivoed it; Herm isn't breathing hard, no sign that he's furious. hey, just another chance to mug up and play the polite fool for the media.

There's a reason Edwards and his sychophants here in the press have ready excuses-Hermie's top priority is and always will be HIMSELF, not the Jets. Image uber alles, and if that means the jets again get the short straw, too bad. When he's done here, he'll get Taglibue or Dungy to set him up someplace else for a while until enough time has passed to dump the retardmon some other dupe of a new owner.

What's really funny is Edwards somehow still thinks he's a vaible HC someplace else or that anyone is clamoring to hear his "motivational speech." How I turned a solid franchise into a sh!thouse in 5 years of mismanagement!It would be funny if a. we weren't stuck with his sorry a$$ and b. he's still here, and might be in 2006 but for a 3-13. have to think that if some businesses actaully pay for this idiocy, getting sent to listen to the master what ever is kinda like a bad joke, like getting a 70-year old toothless stripper.

A coach who cared about his team would, by dint of the respect he commands, blow a gasket with the officials to put time back on the clock or at worst set up the officials to look kindly on the jets all 2nd half for screwing them over. But Hermie's neither on top of the game enough to see the clock running and commands zero respect. Even if he thought about going batsh!t,(which he's not perceptive enough to do)he's worried about his image, what the NFL will think, what the Comissioner, his rabbi, would think, everything except that his got bent over the bumper.

And the really sad part is that Johnson hasn't so far given any indication that he's seen enough. THE MAN IS A MORON!

And if we have to see a backfield of the Statue and the Warrior in 2 weeks vs. the Bolts, I will root for the Bolts.

A coach who cared about his team would, by dint of the respect he commands, blow a gasket with the officials to put time back on the clock or at worst set up the officials to look kindly on the jets all 2nd half for screwing them over.

I think the only thing going through Herm's mind at that point in time (besides Michell's cleavage) was:

This is MNF. I can't do anything to make the league look bad, and screaming at a ref might blow my future gig in the NFL front office. Who cares about this game, any way- it's a Michael Vick showcase night, and whats good for the NFL, is good for me!

I think the only thing going through Herm's mind at that point in time (besides Michell's cleavage) was:

This is MNF. I can't do anything to make the league look bad, and screaming at a ref might blow my future gig in the NFL front office. Who cares about this game, any way- it's a Michael Vick showcase night, and whats good for the NFL, is good for me!

hahahahah, sad but true

In all my years as a Jets fan I have never seen a fan base as split on a coach as we all are on Edwards.

Now granted the choice most of the time as been easy.

Walton blew chunks

Coslet: I think Edwards is closest to Coslet then anyone else the last 20 years. There were people who felt that Coslet got them to a certain level. (Alot like Herm) but was never going to get them to the elite level. He had good talent on both sides of the football but would get conservative in December and could never hold a lead.

Carroll: Probably should have gotten at least another year but the Jets quit on him following the spike game.

Kotitte: See Walton

Parcells: Did an excellent job getting the Jets to an AFC Championship but had some major blunders along the way. The fact though that he had won 2 rings earns him a pass with most fans.

Groh: I don't think really wanted the job. Team ran out of gas in December. Nobody really cared about Groh.

Edwards is different. He does not really look at the media as an adversary like Parcells and Coslet did.

The problem I think with Edwards is that he has a hard time seperating himself from his career as a player and that as a coach. There are times where he acts like he wants to be out there knocking down passes like he did with the Eagles. I think though that fire for his players also keeps him very loyal to those who have been here, maybe too loyal to a point.

Take a look at the Eagles. They manage the salary cap better than ANYONE in the NFL and they draft very well. Last year they let go their two starting corners and they hardly miss a beat. I don't think Reid is a great coach but he wins.

Could you imagine what we would be like if the Jets lost 3 straight AFC Championships and 2 of those were home against teams you were favored against. We would be running that guy out of town on a rail.

I like Herm. I think he has done a nice job in getting the Jets to the playoffs 3 of his first 4 seasons. His team has always been at or near the top of league in fewest penalties and turovers but I am starting to wonder if he is the guy to get them to that elite level.

Edwards=Coslet ? Very possible.

Good points. But Coslet had some BAD years. With no injuries. He just had some bad teams.

Coslet was good for afake punt every now and then. Aguiar was our MVP those years. His press conferences were good as well.

In fairness to Bruce he had no Free Agency to work with. So a bad draft was harder to overcome.

did he not promise us last year no more bush league clock mismanagment bs ? did he not hire a lackey specifically for this one purpose??? i don't care what signal the ref made-- if your are a "clock management coach" (jesus that's funny that "brains" edwards needs one) then you need to watch the clock at all times, don't ever look away from it! my high school coach could manage the clock better and the fact that this statement is not hyperbole is freaking pathetic. if this was a one time thing maybe but come on it's a pattern with this chump and he gets no more free passes for screwing up the most fundamental aspect of the game-- the effing clock!!! think about how unacceptable that is. can you even fathom belichick doing that?

he's gotta go, only blind, dronelike loyalty can prevent any sane individual from seeing that.

Big difference between Reid and Edwards-he's a good coach. His teams get into the NFC championship every year and they've hosted it a bunch of times, which means they're always a 1 or 2 seed. As any number of posters have noted, gettinga 1st round playoff bye is where it's at. Reid's been in a Super Bowl, which was a competive game. Edwards has gotten in the playoffs by the skin of his teeth, and the playoff runs have been pretty short. There really isn't a comparsion at all. Simpley there's a huge gap bewteen being a 1 or 2 seed and a 5 or 6 seed. And that's what happens when you brainfart away a few games every year.Getting spit out in the first or second around is light years away from being a psotion to do damage.

Yes but isn't the goal getting to the Super Bowl ?

Reid's clock management in the Super Bowl made Herm look like BB.

The Eagles lost 2 NFC Championship games at home against teams they should have beat. (Tampa and Carolina).

If Edwards lost 2 straight AFC Title games at home; no wait check that. Lost an AFC Title game at home say against Indy or a Denver everyone here would be screaming for his head.

If the goal is to win the Super Bowl then the only coaches who fit that resume the years that Herm has been there are BB and Gruden and I don't think they are going anywhere any time soon.

The point is. I have never seen fans so divided on a coach as Jets fans are with Edwards. You either love him or hate him. There is no in between with this guy.

I have been a Herm supporter since day 1 but the stuff I have seen this year it starting to make me wonder if we don't have another Coslet on our hands.

The only difference between the two is that Herm handles the media better than Coslet did.

Reid was at least in several championship games and 1 Super Bowl. We should be so lucky.

Let me state your argument-Edwards, who's basically had 3 teams luck into playoff berths and won at most 1 game and out, is better than a coach who has gotten the 1 or 2 seed several times and been in the conference championship damn near every year and came close to winning a Super Bowl.

Okay.So-you think that comparison is somehow favorable to Herman Edwards? And you would trade Andy Reid for Herman Edwards?

Carry on.

Reid was at least in several championship games and 1 Super Bowl. We should be so lucky.

Let me state your argument-Edwards, who's basically had 3 teams luck into playoff berths and won at most 1 game and out, is better than a coach who has gotten the 1 or 2 seed several times and been in the conference championship damn near every year and came close to winning a Super Bowl.

Okay.So-you think that comparison is somehow favorable to Herman Edwards? And you would trade Andy Reid for Herman Edwards?

Carry on.

if you think that playoffs are "lucked into" , that is your opinion.

But I know many NFL coaches, either good or bad, that would just plain disagree.

Archived