NY Post: Show Revis the Money

flgreen

Show Revis the money

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 5:18 AM, July 26, 2010

Posted: 2:40 AM, July 26, 2010

Mark Cannizzaro

"Just landed back nj/nyc I'm back home, I hope yall took care of Revis Island while I was gone"

-- Darrelle Revis' Twitter message posted yesterday

With the first Jets training camp practice looming a week from today in Cortland, the harsh reality facing Darrelle Revis, the team and its expectant fan base is that there might be no one taking care of Revis Island this year unless he gets a new contract.

And a deserted Revis Island could spell doom for the Jets' Super Bowl hopes.

Jets fans are well versed in dealing with the consequences of high expectations. Doesn't it seem that with those lofty expectations there always seems to be the other shoe dropping on their plans (See 1999 with Vinny Testaverde's ruptured Achilles tendon in Week 1 and 2005 with Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler injured in the same game in Week 2)?

DARRELLE REVIS

Holdout in future?

An acrimonious, protracted Revis holdout has the potential to be that proverbial other shoe dropping.

The Jets cannot afford to play this season without Revis, because he's the most important player on their defense.

Just ask coach Rex Ryan, who's touted him as not only the best cornerback in the league but the best defensive player in the NFL and one of the two or three best defensive players he has ever coached. And that list includes the likes of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

Revis' unique talent to shut down his side of the field with suffocating man-to-man coverage allows Ryan to work everything off of that in his aggressive scheme.

This is Revis' leverage.

The Jets' leverage is that, should Revis hold out of training camp, he will nullify the guarantee he has in his contract for the $20 million he's due in the final two years of the deal, which are a club option.

There are some in Revis' camp who believe the Jets are daring Revis to hold out and nullify that guarantee. This is a dangerous game of chicken that has potential to fracture their locker room and wreck their season.

Another Jets argument is that, despite the fact that Revis is scheduled to make $1 million base salary this season (which is continents away from market price), they already gave him $11 million in guaranteed money when he signed his original contract, which has three years remaining on it.

When Revis brings up Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, the highest-paid player at the position (an average of $15.3 million per year), the Jets counter with the argument that Asomugha played out his contract before re-signing for that astronomical amount before the 2009 season. The Jets, too, are leaking out the "reallocation" rule that's in place. It essentially states that if a team wants to re-sign a player with an existing contract, the base salary portion of the guaranteed money must fit under the 2009 salary cap.

The Jets do not have room under their 2009 cap to give Revis a new contract with guaranteed base-salary money, and they continue to talk publicly about doing everything they can "within the rules."

This is semantics because that "reallocation" rule doesn't stop a team from re-signing its player and giving him guaranteed bonus money that doesn't fall until the category of base salary. Translation: If the Jets are willing to give Revis the guaranteed money he wants in a new contract, they can do it.

Get it done. Show Revis the money.

It's in the Jets' best interest to keep Revis Island occupied or it will be invaded by the likes of Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson and Chad Ochocinco. That could mean another season of great promise sabotaged.

mcannizzaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/show_revis_the_money_JEdlhp9scQGlZdn4XWNX2M?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0unMAhjt4

Revis would be a complete idiot if he held out.

Because he is under contract he loses a full year of eligibility if he misses any camp past August 10. That means he will be 1 year farther away from free agency and the Jets will control his rights for 4 more years rather than 3.

If he is so worried about injury, then get an extension with the injury guarantee like Willis did. DBrick opted for skill guarantee while Elvis split it up.

Revis, however, wants full guarantees for both which isn't possible. If he and his reps wisen up then this will happen.

I don't begrudge any player wanting more money. But they have to have plausible expectations. Aso Money over a 6 yr deal isn't plausible because Aso didn't even get that, and full guarantees isn't plausible either.

Revis would be a complete idiot if he held out.

Because he is under contract he loses a full year of eligibility if he misses any camp past August 10. That means he will be 1 year farther away from free agency and the Jets will control his rights for 4 more years rather than 3.

I don't agree.

If Revis is willing to sit out the entire season, the Jets will more than likely trade him to a team that's willing to pay him. And they'll do it before Revis' value starts to decline, because they'll want to maximize the value they get back. All Revis loses is his $1M salary and some fines. It might be his smartest move if his biggest concern is, indeed, money.

If he is so worried about injury, then get an extension with the injury guarantee like Willis did. DBrick opted for skill guarantee while Elvis split it up.

Revis, however, wants full guarantees for both which isn't possible. If he and his reps wisen up then this will happen.

I don't begrudge any player wanting more money. But they have to have plausible expectations. Aso Money over a 6 yr deal isn't plausible because Aso didn't even get that, and full guarantees isn't plausible either.

I hope the deal gets done soon, so we can see what Revis and his team are willing to settle for. They've taken some hardline negotiating positions, but that's how you negotiate. The team's approach has been just as hardline.

There are a few things I really do not like about these articles. In terms of money details I think its very simple. If the player has already indicated that he does not like the fact that he is playing the game for 550K, why would you give that player a huge signing bonus? Just think logically about it. Revis was paid far over his slot in the draft. Made good money these last three years and could end up with a guarantee that would rank as if he was drafted number 4 or so in the draft. He was paid pretty well from 2007-2009. He'll be paid pretty well in 2011 and super high in 2012. But the gripe is 2010. If you go and give Revis a 40 million dollar signing bonus and then stagger the rest of his contract at some point he is again going to be earning what he considers under market. And then what? He'll threaten to hold out again. There is nothing wrong with Revis wanting longer term security and to get paid, but this is a player who works with an agent that held him out as a rookie and wants him to hold out again after just three years. You can expect a person with that track record to honor past salaries as a means for lower future pay.

Secondly everything everyone writes about Darelle has been written before. Now I know he is great and clearly the best corner in the NFL, but outside of a QB there is almost no position in the league where the player is indispensable. Its a year to year thing. Revis was the man in 2009. Now everyone says we can not survive without him in 2010. I remember around this time last year we could not survive losing Leon Washington and Kris Jenkins. We'd be dead. Washington is in Seattle and Jenkins played less then half the year. The team survived. They made the playoffs. We hear it every season. The Colts cant survive without Bob Sanders. They do every single season. The Pats cant survive without x, y, and Z. They do every year. They almost made the playoffs with a scrub at QB. Teams survive without players. It happens every single season. If Vernon Gholston went out this year and racked up 15 sacks there would be a new player that the team cant do without. Revis is great, but he isnt the only player that makes the defense work.

I don't agree.

If Revis is willing to sit out the entire season, the Jets will more than likely trade him to a team that's willing to pay him.

The Jets are willing to pay him, they are just not willing to pay him Aso money for 6+ years. Do you think any other team in the NFL is willing to give him $16M+ per year, for 6 years, because Al Davis was stupid enough to do it for 3 years?

Do you really think any other team in football is ready to follow Al Davis' lead? Everyone in the NFL knows that contract is ridiculous.

I don't agree.

If Revis is willing to sit out the entire season, the Jets will more than likely trade him to a team that's willing to pay him. And they'll do it before Revis' value starts to decline, because they'll want to maximize the value they get back. All Revis loses is his $1M salary and some fines. It might be his smartest move if his biggest concern is, indeed, money.

Im not sure I agree with that. Revis has alot more to lose than his salary this year. Revis has the option to void his contract by paying the Jets, or another team if traded, some money next season. The Jets are not allowed to franchise him if he does that. However franchise tags are based on a player having unrestricted free agent status. Revis currently only has 3 accrued seasons in the NFL. If he holds out past a certain date he will not gain the 4th season. At that point Revis is a restricted free agent if he buys his contract out. Ive dug through the CBA and tried to do some research on it and I cant see any possible way that a team can eliminate a players restricted status. Considering at the time the deal was signed nobody even gave a thought to the RFA vs UFA status for a 1st rounder since they had just signed a new CBA I doubt Revis' team would have even thought of the idea even if there is a way to eliminate the RFA tag.

The situation would get extremely ugly if it happened, but I think if Revis holds out the Jets can simply tag him with a 1 and a 3 and pay him far less than his contract will call for if he reaches that 4th accrued season. Right now there is some uncertainty with what the future holds with RFAs in the future being 4 or 5 year players, and that may have something to do with why Revis wants a new contract as well, but its a lock that 3 years will not get him UFA status in 2011.

The Jets are willing to pay him, they are just not willing to pay him Aso money for 6+ years. Do you think any other team in the NFL is willing to give him $16M+ per year, for 6 years, because Al Davis was stupid enough to do it for 3 years?

Do you really think any other team in football is ready to follow Al Davis' lead? Everyone in the NFL knows that contract is ridiculous.

All we hear is the negotiating stances from the two sides (or rumors thereof), and your post is kinda typical from fans who seem to be perfectly happy thinking the worst of the player, and the best of the team. I suspect it's somewhere closer to a middle where Revis and his camp are willing to accept less money, but that the team has a long way to go before they get to a number they consider fair.

Not sure what "everyone knows," but my feeling is that all it takes is one owner to set a new record for a contract.

Im not sure I agree with that. Revis has alot more to lose than his salary this year. Revis has the option to void his contract by paying the Jets, or another team if traded, some money next season. The Jets are not allowed to franchise him if he does that. However franchise tags are based on a player having unrestricted free agent status. Revis currently only has 3 accrued seasons in the NFL. If he holds out past a certain date he will not gain the 4th season. At that point Revis is a restricted free agent if he buys his contract out. Ive dug through the CBA and tried to do some research on it and I cant see any possible way that a team can eliminate a players restricted status. Considering at the time the deal was signed nobody even gave a thought to the RFA vs UFA status for a 1st rounder since they had just signed a new CBA I doubt Revis' team would have even thought of the idea even if there is a way to eliminate the RFA tag.

The situation would get extremely ugly if it happened, but I think if Revis holds out the Jets can simply tag him with a 1 and a 3 and pay him far less than his contract will call for if he reaches that 4th accrued season. Right now there is some uncertainty with what the future holds with RFAs in the future being 4 or 5 year players, and that may have something to do with why Revis wants a new contract as well, but its a lock that 3 years will not get him UFA status in 2011.

Dude, you are very well versed in this contract stuff. Much better than I am.

But I would still say that on the surface, should Revis decide to engage in an extended holdout, the Jets would eventually be faced with the decision to either pay him or trade him to someone who will regardless of what UFA/RFA/franchise tag rules might be in place. It would become a major distraction that the team would have to resolve.

I'm going to get this out of the way early.

I disagree with Bitonti.

lol fair enough

since we are getting close to D-day im not going to re-state my position over and over

but it's fair to say I agree with Canizzaro, and Mehta and every other "pay Revis" information out there.

fair is fair, just get it done.

lol fair enough

since we are getting close to D-day im not going to re-state my position over and over

but it's fair to say I agree with Canizzaro, and Mehta and every other "pay Revis" information out there.

fair is fair, just get it done.

Since you think Al Davis paying Aso is the CB standard of payment what are your thoughts of him paying his kicker Janikowski better then Mangold?? Should we follow his lead and use a 1st pick on a kicker next year or is Al only right when he over pays CB's??

Since you think Al Davis paying Aso is the CB standard of payment what are your thoughts of him paying his kicker Janikowski better then Mangold?? Should we follow his lead and use a 1st pick on a kicker next year or is Al only right when he over pays CB's??

i never said "al davis is always right"

i do believe a man to man guy like Aso (or Revis) is worth more than a zone guy like asante Samuel or Dunta Robinson. It's not accurate to say "Revis should get Dunta Robinson money, cause Al Davis is crazy" - it conflates these issues when really yes Al did over pay but also there is a difference between ASO and the zone guys. there is a middle ground there, I hope they find it.

i do think that Revis's contract not being up means it's not the same situation as ASO.

So let's say the Jets offer 14 mil per year, i think that would get er done. My impression is they aren't even close to that.

There are a few things I really do not like about these articles. In terms of money details I think its very simple. If the player has already indicated that he does not like the fact that he is playing the game for 550K, why would you give that player a huge signing bonus? Just think logically about it. Revis was paid far over his slot in the draft. Made good money these last three years and could end up with a guarantee that would rank as if he was drafted number 4 or so in the draft. He was paid pretty well from 2007-2009. He'll be paid pretty well in 2011 and super high in 2012. But the gripe is 2010. If you go and give Revis a 40 million dollar signing bonus and then stagger the rest of his contract at some point he is again going to be earning what he considers under market. And then what? He'll threaten to hold out again. There is nothing wrong with Revis wanting longer term security and to get paid, but this is a player who works with an agent that held him out as a rookie and wants him to hold out again after just three years. You can expect a person with that track record to honor past salaries as a means for lower future pay.

Secondly everything everyone writes about Darelle has been written before. Now I know he is great and clearly the best corner in the NFL, but outside of a QB there is almost no position in the league where the player is indispensable. Its a year to year thing. Revis was the man in 2009. Now everyone says we can not survive without him in 2010. I remember around this time last year we could not survive losing Leon Washington and Kris Jenkins. We'd be dead. Washington is in Seattle and Jenkins played less then half the year. The team survived. They made the playoffs. We hear it every season. The Colts cant survive without Bob Sanders. They do every single season. The Pats cant survive without x, y, and Z. They do every year. They almost made the playoffs with a scrub at QB. Teams survive without players. It happens every single season. If Vernon Gholston went out this year and racked up 15 sacks there would be a new player that the team cant do without. Revis is great, but he isnt the only player that makes the defense work.

Great post. Spot on. I agree 100% with everything you said.

I proposed this life without Revis situation in a thread last week and someone literally told me that Rex and the team would give up knowing that they cant win the SB without Revis. No joke.

All we hear is the negotiating stances from the two sides (or rumors thereof), and your post is kinda typical from fans who seem to be perfectly happy thinking the worst of the player, and the best of the team. I suspect it's somewhere closer to a middle where Revis and his camp are willing to accept less money, but that the team has a long way to go before they get to a number they consider fair.

Not sure what "everyone knows," but my feeling is that all it takes is one owner to set a new record for a contract.

Revis himself is on record saying he wants more than Aso. He even said, "I don't care if it is only .50 cents more, but I deserve to be the highest paid CB in the league."

Not being argumentative, but your suspicion (on the surface based on Revis' quotes straight from his own mouth) are wrong.

Revis himself is on record saying he wants more than Aso. He even said, "I don't care if it is only .50 cents more, but I deserve to be the highest paid CB in the league."

I know. This is his negotiating stance.

The Jets stance so far has been to offer far below market value.

I believe there's a middle ground where they can come to an agreement.

I believe there should be as well. But as for now, all we have to go in is what Revis said, so I place the overwhelming majority of blame in this instance on him right now.

I believe there should be as well. But as for now, all we have to go in is what Revis said, so I place the overwhelming majority of blame in this instance on him right now.

Do you know what the Jets best offer has been so far?

Ok im not 100% but isnt Aso's contract up after this season? If so then either Asante or Dunta become the highest paid CB's under contract at around 10 mill a year (and thats what Revis' 2 year buyout pays him) if this is correct Tanny really screwed the pooch here saying he wanted to re do his contract cause next year 11 or 12 would be highest paid.

We can talk about this till we are blue in the face, and the scribes will during camp, and Revis will every chance he gets during Hard Knocks, but this post just about sums it up.

Revis really has no leverage with out messing up his own value. The major flaw in Slats and Bits argument is that no other team is going to pay Revis what he is asking for this year.

No one. Not even Crazy Al.

Do you know what the Jets best offer has been so far?

I don't. Neither do you or anyone else. So until we do, all we can assume is it was not a long term deal paying him $16M+ per year. And it never should be.

Ok im not 100% but isnt Aso's contract up after this season? If so then either Asante or Dunta become the highest paid CB's under contract at around 10 mill a year (and thats what Revis' 2 year buyout pays him) if this is correct Tanny really screwed the pooch here saying he wanted to re do his contract cause next year 11 or 12 would be highest paid.

He said that probably assuming Revis and his team would be sensible. I don't think Tanny and Co have any problem paying Revis more than guys like Asante and Dunta Robinson make (nor should they), it is just everyone knows Aso's contract is a joke so Revis' team acting like it isn't is ridiculous.

I've thought for a while that middle ground should be $12M per season that would be comparable to Jared Allen and DeMarcus Ware type of defensive studs If an extra $500K to $1M above that gets it done then get it done. But you can't keep playing that game (well $14M is only $1M more than that, and then $15M is only $1M more than that, etc.)

I still think it's high, but he is a unique talent. I don't know that he's irreplaceable, in that our team is assured of future doom with a Cromartie/Wilson CB tandem (not to mention the 1st/3rd or 1st/1st we get in trade and the extra $15M+/year in cap room we can use on TWO pro bowl talents).

If something in that range, with a realistic amount of guarantees, gets it done then just do it already. If he draws a hard line in the sand of $16M or no deal then no deal. No matter how great he is, no single CB is worth $16M per season on a long-term deal.

I don't. Neither do you or anyone else. So until we do, all we can assume is it was not a long term deal paying him $16M+ per year. And it never should be.

Okay.

But without that information you feel confident enough to say this:

You're clearly not alone, but I think that's an unfair characterization of the situation.

Okay.

But without that information you feel confident enough to say this:

You're clearly not alone, but I think that's an unfair characterization of the situation.

I said I place the overwhelming majority on Revis, not all of it. And yes, I feel comfortable saying that. The Jets have kept their mouth shut throughout the process and have given us little-to-nothing to work with or get excited about. Revis on the other hand opened his mouth and came across looking like a douche. With that very little amount of info we have, Revis comes off looking far worse than the Jets and his unrealistic demands look like the reason we are at an impass.

The Jets could have said nothing to a player with 3 years on his contract. They offered to do something. Chris Johnson took just a few million extra dollars this year to keep playing when he clearly is worth far more. But he's under contract and perhaps realizes that his leverage is limited. If the Jets offered Revis twice what Johnson got, let's say $6MM one-time bonus this year to keep playing, Revis' team would be acting, hmm...about the way they are right now.

From statements attributed to them that they aren't denying, they want all off the financial benefits of a UFA right now. They haven't said "we know Darrelle has 3 years on his contract but we're just trying to protect his future". They said (he said) he wants to be the highest-paid CB in the league right now.

So yep...he gets more of the blame at least until more information comes out.

Show Revis $10-12 million a year. If he refuses, tell him after 2012 to take a ****ing hike. Rex can win without a Revis. He did it for years as a DC in Baltimore, especially in 2008.

Worry about Mangold & Harris, then Revis. That should be the order of things.

I said I place the overwhelming majority on Revis, not all of it. And yes, I feel comfortable saying that. The Jets have kept their mouth shut throughout the process and have given us little-to-nothing to work with or get excited about. Revis on the other hand opened his mouth and came across looking like a douche. With that very little amount of info we have, Revis comes off looking far worse than the Jets and his unrealistic demands look like the reason we are at an impass.

After last season Tanny said to Revis we will try to get a extension this year thinking he would be happy with that..Big mistake he didn't expect Revis to play the I want more then Asomugha card..:character0282: Like they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions..

Show Revis $10-12 million a year. If he refuses, tell him after 2012 to take a ****ing hike. Rex can win without a Revis. He did it for years as a DC in Baltimore, especially in 2008.

Worry about Mangold & Harris, then Revis. That should be the order of things.

Let's split the difference. Say $11M/year for six years replacing the current contract. Guaranteed for skill. Plus enough to cover the injury guarantee.

Does anyone think that would be an insulting offer given all of the actual conditions (3 years remaining, CBA uncertainty)? If the Jets offered that and Revis said no (not saying it happened but hypothetically), does Revis still get any support from the fans?

Let's split the difference. Say $11M/year for six years replacing the current contract. Guaranteed for skill. Plus enough to cover the injury guarantee.

Does anyone think that would be an insulting offer given all of the actual conditions (3 years remaining, CBA uncertainty)? If the Jets offered that and Revis said no (not saying it happened but hypothetically), does Revis still get any support from the fans?

Paging Bit...:P

Archived