The Official Jets On Hard Knocks Thread

Maxman

As much as I dislike Brunell being our # 2, it shows you something about his character that he can swallow his pride enough to take play-calls from a 2nd year-QB and actually follow them to a T.

Granted, not doing so might get him chewed out by the coaching staff, but then again, could you EVER see a Brett Favre or some other egotistical veteran QB ever allowing that to happen? He'd probably tell the 3rd-string QB to go in for him in that scenario so he wouldn't have to run the plays.

It doesn't take a lot to swallow your pride when your bankrupt.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I dislike Brunell being our # 2, it shows you something about his character that he can swallow his pride enough to take play-calls from a 2nd year-QB and actually follow them to a T.

Granted, not doing so might get him chewed out by the coaching staff, but then again, could you EVER see a Brett Favre or some other egotistical veteran QB ever allowing that to happen? He'd probably tell the 3rd-string QB to go in for him in that scenario so he wouldn't have to run the plays.

exactly

add to that the discussion he was having about sanchez with rex and tanny ( i think) maturing and growing up and expecting more form teammates, it shows how solid he is, and made me feel better about sanchez especially with him around

It doesn't take a lot to swallow your pride when your bankrupt.

Meh, I'm past the whole bankruptcy thing. I realize millionaire athletes probably have no business getting themselves into financial trouble, but they weren't the only rich people out there getting caught up in the housing bubble. When your expenses get as high as they do for those living the life of luxury (which in his case he EARNED), sh** happens. It doesn't reflect on his character, how he mentors Sanchez or how he performs on the field.

exactly

add to that the discussion he was having about sanchez with rex and tanny ( i think) maturing and growing up and expecting more form teammates, it shows how solid he is, and made me feel better about sanchez especially with him around

Not revealed in Hard Knocks: Brunell is actually banging Sanchez. :blink:

Meh, I'm past the whole bankruptcy thing. I realize millionaire athletes probably have no business getting themselves into financial trouble, but they weren't the only rich people out there getting caught up in the housing bubble. When your expenses get as high as they do for those living the life of luxury (which in his case he EARNED), sh** happens. It doesn't reflect on his character, how he mentors Sanchez or how he performs on the field.

I wasn't referring to his character. I meant when your a bankrupt 40yo athlete it doesn't take much to motivate you to be flexible on the job.

This episode makes me think gato might be right about Harris not being in their long term plans due to money. They do seem to be trying very hard to find develop a new inside LBer. I understand that the 30% rule stops the from giving Harris a new contract but overall it seems a lot of spots on the roster and PS are going to potential inside LBers. And Tanny gave that big speech about how much they want a guy like that to Satele.

This episode makes me think gato might be right about Harris not being in their long term plans due to money. They do seem to be trying very hard to find develop a new inside LBer. I understand that the 30% rule stops the from giving Harris a new contract but overall it seems a lot of spots on the roster and PS are going to potential inside LBers. And Tanny gave that big speech about how much they want a guy like that to Satele.

Uhm, Bruce, it's because the Jets have ZERO depth at ILB.

Seriously. You think looking at street FA for depth like Satele indicates that the Jets don't have Harris in their longterm plans???

Get real. Harris made less than $1 million last year so if he did an extension this year it would be no more than a 4 yr, $7 million deal because of the 30% rule. There is no way Harris would sign in and no way Tanny would offer it because it would be a real (and not Revis-esque) slap in the face.

Uhm, Bruce, it's because the Jets have ZERO depth at ILB.

What does ZERO depth mean to you? They have 3 back up players on the roster who play ILB. When you said ZERO were you speaking in broader terms?

Seriously. You think looking at street FA for depth like Satele indicates that the Jets don't have Harris in their longterm plans???

Actually, I think it could be either Scott or Harris who might have to go. There is a limit to how much money a team wants to put into any one position. A good example would be Baltimore when three of their four starting LBers became FAs in the same year. The Ravens decided they could only afford to keep 2 of them. Maybe you don't think Suggs qualifies as a LB. But the history is there, teams don't like to have too much money put into one position. And Calvin Pace has to stay because we have so few pass rushers. This team cut Faneca when most of his money was guaranteed so big names aren't untouchable to the current FO.

Anyway, I think the number of ILB prospects they brought in does indicate that they are paying special attention to this position and not that it was simply a case of more ILB prospects being available than at the other positions. And in his farewell speech to Satele Tanny made a point of telling him he was exactly the kind of player they are looking for and mentioned his position when he said that. So yes, I do think the actions of the Jets indicate they are quite possibly trying to find a cheap ILB replacement.

Get real. Harris made less than $1 million last year so if he did an extension this year it would be no more than a 4 yr, $7 million deal because of the 30% rule. There is no way Harris would sign in and no way Tanny would offer it because it would be a real (and not Revis-esque) slap in the face.

I stated that they could not give Harris an extension this year because of the 30% rule so this part of your answer is just wasting my time.

loved the series and the camp shots and the backstories, etc. HOWEVER, one portion of the story that was rediculous and sad, and obvious even to HBO--is that Chauncey Washington earned a roster spot, but couldn't have it because of Joe McKnight. Seriously this bothers the crap out of me. McNight? Really? He's horrible and still keeps a spot over a guy thats hustled and earned it--because he cost two draft picks. Stupid as hell.

loved the series and the camp shots and the backstories, etc. HOWEVER, one portion of the story that was rediculous and sad, and obvious even to HBO--is that Chauncey Washington earned a roster spot, but couldn't have it because of Joe McKnight. Seriously this bothers the crap out of me. McNight? Really? He's horrible and still keeps a spot over a guy thats hustled and earned it--because he cost two draft picks. Stupid as hell.

and who is a family man that cooks for the family-McNightmare is an idiot who drops the ball every 5th time he touches it while Chauncey does whatever is asked of him-you see him picking up Jason Davis?

What does ZERO depth mean to you? They have 3 back up players on the roster who play ILB. When you said ZERO were you speaking in broader terms?

But none of them can be a decent starter if Scott or Harris go down. Heck, Rex used Ihedigbo at ILB when Scott was hurt in the playoffs.

Actually, I think it could be either Scott or Harris who might have to go. There is a limit to how much money a team wants to put into any one position. A good example would be Baltimore when three of their four starting LBers became FAs in the same year. The Ravens decided they could only afford to keep 2 of them. Maybe you don't think Suggs qualifies as a LB. But the history is there, teams don't like to have too much money put into one position. And Calvin Pace has to stay because we have so few pass rushers. This team cut Faneca when most of his money was guaranteed so big names aren't untouchable to the current FO.

Anyway, I think the number of ILB prospects they brought in does indicate that they are paying special attention to this position and not that it was simply a case of more ILB prospects being available than at the other positions. And in his farewell speech to Satele Tanny made a point of telling him he was exactly the kind of player they are looking for and mentioned his position when he said that. So yes, I do think the actions of the Jets indicate they are quite possibly trying to find a cheap ILB replacement.

Backups. Those brought in are all backup material. The Jets spent big money on Scott and a 2nd rounder on Harris. They value that position. They're not going to replace them with street FAs.

Yes, there are financial considerations, but the Jets have some salaries coming off the books in 2011 so we have to see where they go from there.

I stated that they could not give Harris an extension this year because of the 30% rule so this part of your answer is just wasting my time.

Yes, I know you brought it up, but it bears repeating because there is essentially no way the Jets can extend Harris now. So, that undermines the whole premise of your original argument. Again, you brought up the lack of extension and the Jets bringing in street FA as a sign that Harris may walk and in no way do those 2 things point to such a conclusion.

And you're only wasting your time by posting.

Here's the thing. Harris is a good player who is unbelievably overrated by Jet fans. B. Scott is 10x better and makes him look good.

He's a tackling machine, but is stiff as a board and is ridiculously bad in coverage.

I still think he is in their long term plans though. Just because they want to devolop a young ILB, doesn't mean they don't want him. We have no depth there. And Scott sucks in coverage too. So having a cover ILB we can bring in on passing downs can't hurt.

The sad thing is that was a great call, and Schitty would have probally put 4 players in motion before the snap and then ran it for a gain of 2, while the lead blocker was split out wide. Or something like that.

I don't know where he developed his offensive philosphy. His dad was one of the all-time great smashmouth offensive coaches but he wants to run this pu$$* multiple motion, trick O.

He sucks.

Archived