The Official Jets On Hard Knocks Thread

Maxman

And what if the cap number is lower? Then we can cut Damien Woody and replace the entire right side of our O-Line... that should be amenable to someone who has been belly-aching about releasing Faneca being a cost-cutting move by a cheapskate owner.

The whole fact that there is uncertainty as to the future of the cap is the exact reason why the notion of handing Revis a "blank check" is asinine.

Well, we disagree on a few main principles, obviously.

Seeing as it is an uncapped year, I think the Jets can get this done and NOT cripple their future.

You are more concerned with the future than making a run at the Super Bowl with one of the most talented teams in Jets history.

Also, I think Vlad will prob take over for Woody after this year and Slauson will remain at guard.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except that they'd already be doubling Revis's scheduled cap number for next year from ~$6m (if the buyout is exercised) to ~$12m... bring it to $16m and you're talking about an extra $10m over what was, no-doubt, a number crafted by Tannenbaum to give him the most flexibility to resign other players (Mangold, Harris, Brick).

C'mon, not $10M over! He offered $12M, so you're talking about a $4M gap. That's it.

Tanny's better at these cap things than I am, but you've got Ellis, Taylor, Gholston, etc. all probably coming off the payroll next year. There's money there. I'm not advocating that the Jets pay him that $16M, either, just pointing out the absurdity of the "cap busting" argument.

As much as I dog the model...I like the kid. I wanted nothing to do with him in the draft, but he's winning me over. When Rex said he works harder than any youngster I've ever seen, I believe him.

Those shots with him and all the coaches, show his dedication. Love that B Schott had goals for him. "This is my ******* team". Great. Loved when they were throwing formations and routes out at him and he was giving the options and possible outcomes.

Good stuff.

Well, we disagree on a few main principles, obviously.

Seeing as it is an uncapped year, I think the Jets can get this done and NOT cripple their future.

You are more concerned with the future than making a run at the Super Bowl with one of the most talented teams in Jets history.

Also, I think Vlad will prob take over for Woody after this year and Slauson will remain at guard.

The uncapped year is pretty much insignificant to Revis's contract.

1st, there's the 30% rule, where you can't give player a raise by more than 30% during uncapped years.

2nd, if you could give Revis that kind of raise, and front loaded his contract, what about Revis's character at this point tells you he wont pull this maneuver again when the 'front loaded' portion is done.

As much as I dog the model...I like the kid. I wanted nothing to do with him in the draft, but he's winning me over. When Rex said he works harder than any youngster I've ever seen, I believe him.

Those shots with him and all the coaches, show his dedication. Love that B Schott had goals for him. "This is my ******* team". Great. Loved when they were throwing formations and routes out at him and he was giving the options and possible outcomes.

Good stuff.

And that's why I have faith in him. He's putting the work in. Schotty asked him for his goals, and he had them ready to go to review. Some guys might be like eff that, but he had them ready to go. Anyways, I hope things come together this year for him. I don't think he'll ever be a Manning/Brady/Rivers level of QB, but I think he can be damn productive if everything comes together. God I am ready for football after last night.

C'mon, not $10M over! He offered $12M, so you're talking about a $4M gap. That's it.

Tanny's better at these cap things than I am, but you've got Ellis, Taylor, Gholston, etc. all probably coming off the payroll next year. There's money there. I'm not advocating that the Jets pay him that $16M, either, just pointing out the absurdity of the "cap busting" argument.

Sanchez.

Scott.

D'Brick.

Pace.

Edwards.

Woody.

Gholston.

B. Thomas.

Mangold.

Who are 'The only 9 players on the Jets roster who's cap number is for this season is greater than 4M', Alex.

It's $10m over what the Jets would be contractually obligated to pay him under the terms of the buyout.

The Jets are already at $101m for next year, and $106m if you count the Revis buyback. Give Revis his absurd demands and assume the cap value is around $16m... that brings the number to $116m and that's without Mangold and Harris being re-signed. Ellis is off the books. Cutting Taylor saves them the full value of his deal ($2.275m), but releasing Gholston only saves them about $400k next year.

Without making any other moves and assuming the cap number stays around where it was, that leaves the Jets roughly $14m to re-sign Mangold and Harris, one of either Holmes or Edwards, draft picks, etc. They can create some more space by cutting Bryan Thomas and Tomlinson, which would net another ~$6m with very little dead money . That's still not enough to give deals to Mangold, Harris, and one of the wideouts, let alone sign a few draft picks.

Still think an extra $4m charge against the cap is insignificant?

Doesn't factor in with signing bonuses, bro.

It it raining in the fantasy land where fronting an 8-figure bonus to a guy who has held out during 2 of his 3 seasons in the NFL is even a possibility? I only ask because it's looking pretty overcast as I look out the window in the real world.

Good stuff.

wait....so we're allowed to say **** now here at JN? How come I can't?

It it raining in the fantasy land where fronting an 8-figure bonus to a guy who has held out during 2 of his 3 seasons in the NFL is even a possibility? I only ask because it's looking pretty overcast as I look out the window in the real world.

No clue what world that came from.

Obviously, it would be a much more substantial signing bonus.

So, you assume that Revis is just going to be cool with that after 2 years? That he'll remember, well, they did right by me already, so no big deal.

I'll now point you to Hector's post above.

So, you assume that Revis is just going to be cool with that after 2 years? That he'll remember, well, they did right by me already, so no big deal.

I'll now point you to Hector's post above.

Then what's your solution?

Let'em rot? FAIL.

Trade'em? FAIL.

What I saw was a coach who is in year two and is building upon a year in which they went to the Championship game. Rex matched Parcell's high water mark in year one.

I wouldn't run the team the way Rex does. I am willing to admit though that there are multiple ways to get the job done. And I like Rex's chances.

Were you covering Shanes ears during hard knocks?

:rl:

It's $10m over what the Jets would be contractually obligated to pay him under the terms of the buyout.

The Jets are already at $101m for next year, and $106m if you count the Revis buyback. Give Revis his absurd demands and assume the cap value is around $16m... that brings the number to $116m and that's without Mangold and Harris being re-signed. Ellis is off the books. Cutting Taylor saves them the full value of his deal ($2.275m), but releasing Gholston only saves them about $400k next year.

Without making any other moves and assuming the cap number stays around where it was, that leaves the Jets roughly $14m to re-sign Mangold and Harris, one of either Holmes or Edwards, draft picks, etc. They can create some more space by cutting Bryan Thomas and Tomlinson, which would net another ~$6m with very little dead money . That's still not enough to give deals to Mangold, Harris, and one of the wideouts, let alone sign a few draft picks.

Still think an extra $4m charge against the cap is insignificant?

I continue to understand that even in the worst case scenario, it's not the cap busting deal that people want to make it out to be. Yes.

I continue to understand that even in the worst case scenario, it's not the cap busting deal that people want to make it out to be. Yes.

We'll have to agree to disagree then... unless, of course, you'd like to put down some hypothetical cap numbers for Mangold, Harris, Holmes/Edwards, etc. as well as any required cap casualties so you can illustrate how it's not a "cap busting deal" since I can't get my head around it...

what would be an accurate unbiased word for what he said?

I'm not arguing definitions of words with you, but saying he whimpered, or 'cried like a baby', is not accurate.

By all outward appearances, you dislike the guy, and that's your prerogative, but to act like you're an unbiased observer in disingenuous.

Then what's your solution?

Let'em rot? FAIL.

Trade'em? FAIL.

In the history of the NFL, every Super Bowl has been won by a team who did not pay Darrelle Revis 16 million a year.

It's not a stretch to think that this feat can be accomplished again.

We'll have to agree to disagree then... unless, of course, you'd like to put down some hypothetical cap numbers for Mangold, Harris, Holmes/Edwards, etc. as well as any required cap casualties so you can illustrate how it's not a "cap busting deal" since I can't get my head around it...

Okay.

Again, we're only talking $4M a year, and that's the worst case. Calling that cap busting is patently absurd, IMHO.

The easiest way to get around it is to hand out huge roster bonuses to Mangold and Harris. Unlike Revis, they're in camp now and can presumably be trusted not to hold out in two years after collecting a windfall this year. Cutting Gholston is a small savings in 2011, but a big savings in 2012. So between front loading two more of your core guys and cutting some dead weight, that $4M (maximum!) is easily made up.

You know it's funny, Laura Linney was on The Daily Show last night and they got into a good conversation about how it's natural for humans to joke and make light of situations when things are less than ideal. Made me think of Rex and keeping things loose about Revis in the locker room. Acknowledging the elephant in the room rather than trying to ignore it...etc.

In the history of the NFL, every Super Bowl has been won by a team who did not pay Darrelle Revis 16 million a year.

It's not a stretch to think that this feat can be accomplished again.

I understand this argument, but it is completely hollow.

Name a team that has won a Super Bowl with its best player — and, really, it isn't even close — sitting on the couch.

It's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be.

Name a team that has won a Super Bowl with its best player — and, really, it isn't even close — sitting on the couch.

Teams win with their top players being injured all the time. The means in which Revis finds himself on the couch is the only difference.

In fact, if Revis were to get hurt in a preseason game, I'd venture to say most people would be talking about or CB depth and about Rex's schemes being able to compensate and allow us to be a contender still. We'd be talking about Sanchez's improvement and the new offensive weapons. We'd be talking about Jason Taylor improving our pass rush making playing DB even easier this year.

The fact is, it's the reason Revis is on the couch that makes all the difference in this argument... not that he is.

Teams win with their top players being injured all the time.

Which teams have won a Super Bowl with their unquestioned best player sitting at home.

Just answer the question, man.

And you still haven't provided a legit solution of how to handle the situation.

I watched. I thought it was pretty good. Loved the intro with scenes of the NY skyline. NYC IS the greatest city in the world. Some funny moments. Nacho - LOL! I think I have discovered a new drinking game: every time Rex throws an f-bomb, do a shot. Sure to get you sh*tfaced in fifteen minutes ;) He's 'gotta lay off the peanut m&m's tho...

Regarding the whole Revis fiasco. Total posturing for the fans. It's working too. Fan sentiment is clearly AGIANST Revis. I still, in my heart, beleive Revis will show up in camp - perhaps the last day of? Too perfect, you know? Jets take a hard line. Revis caves. Jets win. Team wins. Perfect, right?

Archived