John Abraham going to Washington? San Diego? Bollywood?

Fred Jetstone

The NYJ-Bollywood connection that I foresaw ages ago is starting to take form. Albeit a little differently than I first imagined. The synchronicities are starting to pile up.

For instance, this morning I was chilling in a Starbucks, surrounded by a bevy of beautiful blondes, reading a recent issue of Jets Confidential. I opened it from the back page (eastern habits, I guess) and what did I see? A picture of John Abraham. Normal enough, you say. I mean the real John Abraham, the Bollywood actor. Here's a snippet from the write up, Jets Confidential, vol. 13, issue 11, Oct. 24, 2005:

A friend of John Abraham did an Internet search on his name a few years ago and was quite surprised.

The search produced items not only about the standout defensive end, but about a popular actor in "Bollywood", India's answer to Hollywood.

"I was like, who is this guy" the American John Abraham said recently. "So I Googled it myself. I didn't know who it was. It's funny as hell. I never heard of him [but] he's got pictures everywhere."

The 32-year old Indian actor has appeared in over a dozen movies and has three more already completed.

"He is a handsome hunk, but a lousy actor," artist Hema Joshi of Bombay, India told Jets Confidential. "He used to be a model. He is a sex symbol and he is going out with a sex symbol, and he used to walk the ramp", as a model.

"It's bigger than Hollywood in terms of the number of movies produced. Bollywood is a lot more prolific", said Nanda Joshi of Bombay, India. "There are more people watchng the Bollywood star than the Hollywood star. He is more of a sex symbol than an actor."

"Most of the movies are musical", said Nanda's daughter, Samira Joshi, who was born in Bombay and is living in Boston. "He does a lot of lip-syncing. From a Western perpective, these movies are very funny. There are very few kissing scenes because they aren't allowed body contact."

Of course, there's plenty of that in this John Abraham's work.

"I've got to change my name," he said jokingly. He also came up with another alternative.

"I need to get over there", the defensive end said. "He's getting paid over there."

Archived