Coles to sign with Jets for a 3rd time

vinnys025

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Coles. Haters gun' hate.

I have no issues with Coles the player. Good talent, tough player, and don't recall many (really, any) mental hiccups on the field.

Other than the first season after cashing a shiny new bonus check, he always seemed surly. His demeanor seemed to range from generally-unhappy to generally-miserable.

Maybe that will change going forward now that it's obvious that opportunities for another big payday are gone and he'll just be playing because he wants to play. Maybe.

If he doesn't work out we can just cut him, and he knows it. I remember reading something last night where he said he knows he has to perform in weeks 1-4 or he'll be cut. And he was fine with that. I forget where I saw that, I'll try to find the article.

Of course he'd be fine with that. If he's on the opening day roster, his salary's guaranteed for the season. I've always liked Coles, but he's always been about the money. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he makes it thru camp, and the Jets cut him right before the opener only to pick him back up for week #2 - just for that reason.

That said, I'd also prefer youth in that spot. A guy who can contribute on special teams.

But who would BE that young receiver JiF? Clowney? Allison? Britt Davis? Woodhead? None of those guys CAN help you win a football game-Coles has proven time and again that he CAN-even as a rookie he did it...I'm all for this move and could care less about what happened in the past with him. Good signing (if it happens) IMO

IDK who that young receiver is...I think thats the Jets coaching staff job to find out. Not go and buy every FA on their last leg for depth. That doesnt make sense to me.

I think this is an excellent move and his presence will only help cohesiveness in the locker room with future contracts unresolved for Mangold, Harris, Revis, Cromartie, Holmes, and Edwards. Laveranues Coles is bound to be a calming influence and is sure to paint the Jets FO in the most positive light imaginable. A bunch of guys whose future deals are in question and they bring in the guy who could never go 2 consecutive years without wanting his signed contract addressed and readdressed both in the locker room and in the media. Very shrewd.

Pretty stupid thing to do when you look at like this.

We're trying to win football games in 2010. I could care less about the contract issues once the season starts. If, in weeks 1-4, Braylon or Cotch gets hurt, who do you trust as the # 2 receiver? Brad Smith? Aundrae Allison? David Clowney?

Coles may not have much left in the tank, but he's better than those bums. If you want something to be upset about, it should be that the front office neglected to draft any young receivers recently, not for making this move.

Since when does a team need 4 potential #1 WR's? We didnt need it last season when we made our run. And trust me, you are going to care about those contracts very soon...and I honestly dont believe that you arent concerned right now.

Coles signs, says stay could be brief

By Rich Cimini

Laveranues Coles is back with the New York Jets. But it may not be for long.

The popular wide receiver told ESPNNewYork.com on Friday that, as expected, he signed a one-year contract with the Jets. But Coles said he could be gone after the first four regular-season games, when receiver Santonio Holmes returns from a four-game suspension.

"It's an insurance policy for them," Coles said. "Those first four games are very important for the team to get where they want to go. It's an opportunity for me to come in and see what I can still do, but there's a slim chance I'll be there after four games. There's a good chance I'll get released; it depends on how things go. They were honest and open about it. It is what it is."

As a veteran, if Coles is on the opening day roster, his base salary will be guaranteed. It's believed that he signed for the veterans' minimum, $855,000 -- which wouldn't be a bad take for training camp, plus four games.

Coles, who worked out Friday for team officials before signing, probably will be used as the No. 3 receiver behind Jerricho Cotchery and Braylon Edwards.

This will be Coles' third tour with the Jets, the team that drafted him in 2000. Asked if it'll be weird to be back in green, Coles said, "It'll be weird not having my number."

No. 87 belongs to fellow receiver David Clowney, and Coles said he will have to pick out another number

Since when does a team need 4 potential #1 WR's? We didnt need it last season when we made our run. And trust me, you are going to care about those contracts very soon...and I honestly dont believe that you arent concerned right now.

Honestly, I don't. I just care who's going to be playing week 1. With the CBA sh*t going on, we don't even know if there will BE football in 2011, so I'm just worried about now.

Coles does more to help us than hurt us at the moment. No, we don't need four # 1 WR's, and I don't think anyone could argue anyone but Holmes is a WR1 anyways.

The point is, if Braylon or Cotch go down in weeks 1-4, Coles is a much better insurance policy than anyone we have. Once Holmes comes back in week 5, I'd have no problem with the Jets cutting/trading Coles away.

Venerable veteran wide receiver
Laveranues
Coles
––who played through a concussion and high ankle sprain despite the team’s rudderless season last year––flat-out called the front office liars during dilatory negotiations for the new contract
Coles
says he was
promised
. The two sides finally agreed to a deal in March.

That's actually my point. Like all those others, Coles claimed the Jets lied to him, but they made him happy and he left without bitterness or bad feelings. When you consider Coles general demeanor, that's nothing short of miraculous.

That's actually my point. Like all those others, Coles claimed the Jets lied to him, but they made him happy and he left without bitterness or bad feelings. When you consider Coles general demeanor, that's nothing short of miraculous.

That's not quite what you said now, is it? The Jets never did what he asked; they did something else (guaranteeing the last 2 years of his contract but offered no additional money and no extension), which he grudgingly took instead of getting nothing.

But it was well done. If you were running for office I'd vote for you.

The only Cincy games I watched last year were the two they played against the Jets. I think Coles looked a lot better than his stats suggest. He didn't click in Cincy, but he can still play. His ypc has held up and he played big in their playoff game. I think he can still do it.

The only Cincy games I watched last year were the two they played against the Jets. I think Coles looked a lot better than his stats suggest. He didn't click in Cincy, but he can still play. His ypc has held up and he played big in their playoff game. I think he can still do it.

I agree, Coles still has a season left in him if he can avoid the big hit. Welcome back, LC.

Coles is a warrior... That's for sure. And he's probably not gonna get as many passes coming his way, he's competing with Braylon Cotch LT and Keller. Come week 4, if he's still around, you got Santonio... oh my gosh the mismatches we're gonna create. It's exciting!!! If Sanchez delivers this year (and I have full confidence in him) we could go very far gentlemen...

Mixed feelings. Love Coles, never understood the criticism heaped on him for trivial things.

On the other hand, I was really looking forward to seeing what Clowney did on his third season, especially since he showed signs of coming around last season.

Hmmmmmm.......

or maybe, just maybe the guys running the Jets now know more about what a player can and can't do than we here on the internets

That's what I meant. I'm not saying I think he'll be nothing because he won't get a chance, I'm saying it's a bad sign that those in the know are always looking for other options. The TO thing looked like it was just kicking tires, but Coles seems like an indictment. Of course the small 1 year deal, expecting to be cut after 4 games and not taking Clowney's number mean maybe Coles is just cheap insurance.

That's not quite what you said now, is it? The Jets never did what he asked; they did something else (guaranteeing the last 2 years of his contract but offered no additional money and no extension), which he grudgingly took instead of getting nothing.

But it was well done. If you were running for office I'd vote for you.

Dude, that was tongue in cheek. Coles was happy by the time he left, but he'll probably be crying about his deal by week 3 and say he was cut because of that rather than Holmes returning.

My first successful multi-quote with JetNation 3.0.

IDK who that young receiver is...I think thats the Jets coaching staff job to find out. Not go and buy every FA on their last leg for depth. That doesnt make sense to me.

Pretty stupid thing to do when you look at like this.

VG boards? Either you know what I'm talking about or you don't. Does the name VG sound familiar?

I'll take Coles over Brad Smith as a #4 receiver any day. Besides, Max will have more balls thrown at him this season than Coles.

Brad Smith is a WR in name only. They may as well just revert him back to QB now that running the option is his primary function on offense. Make Smith the #2, and Brunell the inactive #3.

It looks like the Jets are willing to spend the NFL minimum on Coles for just four games. The more I think about it, the more I like it. The move definitely suggests that the team has every intention of being a serious passing offense this year - and they don't want Sanchez to miss a beat in the first four games of the season. That's good news. If the Jets are serious about being a Super Bowl contender, they'll need a passing offense that can score TD's in the two-minute drill. It's good for Coles, too, who'll be happy to collect his guaranteed pay, and then try to double dip from another WR needy team after he's dropped.

And I think Max had more balls thrown at him than Brandon Marshall last year, so that's really not much of an analogy.

I think this is an excellent move and his presence will only help cohesiveness in the locker room with future contracts unresolved for Mangold, Harris, Revis, Cromartie, Holmes, and Edwards. Laveranues Coles is bound to be a calming influence and is sure to paint the Jets FO in the most positive light imaginable. A bunch of guys whose future deals are in question and they bring in the guy who could never go 2 consecutive years without wanting his signed contract addressed and readdressed both in the locker room and in the media. Very shrewd.

Definitely a brilliant decision by the Jets. whose loud mouth coach has already caused the Revis contract problem by going goo goo gaga over him. this is perfect for Coles, he can do and say whatever he wants now without any repercussions. the Jets are doing this because he would be perfect for hard knocks, not as a 4th receiver. lol..and im serious.

I've always been a Coles fan but I'm not sure about this move. He looked done in Cincy, I really hope Rex and comapny know what they are doing .

Only reason he looked done is because Cincy isnt a good passing team, im ok with this move could be our slot guy, could mentor Clowney, i just hope for 2 things, 3 times a charm for a SB because growing up i loved Coles and i seriously hope he retires as a Jet and wins a SB whiles he's there.

Im not sure if I like this move here. Can coles really be better than Clowney? I just dont get it. Every time I seen Clowney on the field he's produced. Sometimes guys cant show it at practice but produces in games.

Maybe I dont know what im talking about, but I REALLY want Clowney to get a shot. I cant see how Clowney is so bad that he cant be our #4. Is Brad Smith or Coles really that much better?

I'm not really in favor of this move. I would live with the youth and I'd do the same @ QB too. OTOH, Coles probably isn't any worse than Holt at this point and the Pats fans were talking that old goat up last week.

Both of them are shot

Can coles really be better than Clowney? I just dont get it. Every time I seen Clowney on the field he's produced. Sometimes guys cant show it at practice but produces in games.

Are you serious with this? The only thing this guy has accomplished is having a few good games against future UPS drivers. The very reason he hasn't been given a chance is because he blows, not the other way around.

Are you serious with this? The only thing this guy has accomplished is having a few good games against future UPS drivers. The very reason he hasn't been given a chance is because he blows, not the other way around.

Plus he had future hall of famer Brett Ratliff throwing him the football. Can't count on a QB of that caliber every week.

C'mon 80. He had a couple good games in the regular season last year. You mean he's not good enough to be our #4?

I mean that I'm glad we got Coles, because I have no desire of being one injury away from having Clowney being our # 2 receiver.

You didnt answer my question though.

Also, to be honest I have no desire of being one injury away from having Coles being our #2 receiver as well. I hear where you're coming from...but I just dont know why. I havent seen legit production from Coles in almost 2 years. The last time I seen Coles go off Brett Favre threw for 6 TD's and our Defense almost found a way to lose that game against Arizona.(That was a crazy game though wasnt it?).

Also, to be honest I have no desire of being one injury away from having Coles being our #2 receiver as well. I hear where you're coming from...but I just dont know why. I havent seen legit production from Coles in almost 2 years. The last time I seen Coles go off Brett Favre threw for 6 TD's and our Defense almost found a way to lose that game against Arizona.(That was a crazy game though wasnt it?).

Coles > B Smith

Coles > Clowney

Coles > Allison

Coles > Any other WR on roster

That is why Coles is here... pretty simple.

He still put up #3 WR #'s in Cincy last year and had flashes.

He will be a smooth predictable target for Sanchez (cutting back on INT's VS a young guy)

Coles has averaged 6 TD's a season the last 5 seasons, and on his last stop with the Jets 2 years ago, he had 850 yards and 7 TD's. Clowney hasn't hit that amount in his career to date, and he will NEVER be close to a 700 yards, 5 TD's a season type of receiver like we have in Coles right now even at 32 years old.

Plus, have you ever thought that maybe Coles can show Clowney a thing or two? Coles already understands Schottenheimer's system, so he'll hit the ground running.

Coles didn't produce in Cincy's offense last year because of 2 factors: 1) Until getting T.O. recently, they were an offense much like ours; ground-and-pound; 2) their offensive coordinator makes Paul Hackett look like a genius.

Coles ready to retire after last stint with Jets

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 2, 2010 2:40 PM ET

Laveranues Coles' third time with the Jets will be his last. Coles says he's not interested in playing past this season.

"There ain't no, 'Want to retire as a Jet.' This is it," Coles said to Rod Boone of Newsday on Monday. "This is the last hurrah. The boat stops here, trust me."

That boat could stop after Week Four, when Santonio Holmes comes off suspension. Coles said Rex Ryan was honest about that possibility and Coles says that's fine with him.

"I wouldn't have it no other way. I think if I walked away from somewhere else, I think I was going to sign a one-day deal here anyway just to retire as a Jet," Coles said. "It was going to end this way anyway regardless. Whether they wanted me back here or they didn't, I still was coming back. They didn't have a choice. It was one of those things where I was walking back through these doors whether they wanted me or not."

They want him; the only question is how long. Coles doesn't sound too worried about the answer.

Coles > B Smith

Coles > Clowney

Coles > Allison

Coles > Any other WR on roster

That is why Coles is here... pretty simple.

He still put up #3 WR #'s in Cincy last year and had flashes.

He will be a smooth predictable target for Sanchez (cutting back on INT's VS a young guy)

Im not too sure. Hopefully Allison can have a healthy year, but I do think that Clowney has much more to offer if given the opportunity. To be fair, Coles may still be a better option. I just think that he's done. Maybe he may be done as a #1 and #2 but maybe he can take advantage of the #3/#4 position. I hope so given that he is signed. But lets not act like this signing is a sure shot, Coles has lost more than just a step or two...and because of that, I would have preferred one of our young talents on the field, or atleast signed a different WR.

Archived