Joe McNight: Still Out of Shape

Jbro22

Per Manish Mehta

Rookie Joe McKnight failed his conditioning run and was placed on the active non-football injury list. The former USC running back struggled with his conditioning and threw up during his first practice at rookie minicamp in the spring. He will be counted as part of the 80-man roster, but won't be able to practice until he passes the conditioning run.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/07/jets-make-flurry-of-moves-on-f.html#ixzz0vAKQbux4

What's wrong with this guy. Was it not enough to show up to Rookie OTA's out of shape? Was throwing up at rookie OTA's not a clear enough sign?

Per Manish Mehta

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/07/jets-make-flurry-of-moves-on-f.html#ixzz0vAKQbux4

What's wrong with this guy. Was it not enough to show up to Rookie OTA's out of shape? Was throwing up at rookie OTA's not a clear enough sign?

I'm definitely disappointed. One wake-up call I can live with, it happens, but this is just ridiculous. He's a freaking running back. How do you fail a running test? My god.

I'm definitely disappointed. One wake-up call I can live with, it happens, but this is just ridiculous. He's a freaking running back. How do you fail a running test? My god.

Im concerned about this and his status as a back-up RB. Plan B time.

Don't know why pple are surprised by this. He was nothing special @ USC and he was banged up too...instead of looking at WR's jets should be looking to replace this clown until he gets his act together.

On my site I predicted the careers of over 200 possible draft picks. This was the first year I tried it... From all-pro to bust. We will see how that works out as time goes on... but I had McKnight rated as a fringe player. on a scale of 1 to 7 with 1 being an all pro and 7 being a bust I had him as a 6.

Not because he wasn't talented. He's got 2nd round talent. But because he's a bone head with injury and fumble concerns. I had the other 2 USC backs rated slightly higher.

When I said that after the draft, Jets fans lambasted me for being negative. When I said he was a mess after his vomitorium mini camp I was told not to worry that it was too early... and that I was a jerk. When he didn't want #25 cause he didn't want to be compared with Bush, people thought that was reasonable.

None of that was good signs. This is another bad sign. A running back failing a running test is a big problem.

The fact is i'm not worried about this player. You can't hit on all your draft picks. It's historically unlikely and statistically impossible. It really hasn't been done since the 70's when the Steelers were the only ones scouting small schools and they had some drafts with HOF'ers in every round.

I still stand by the statement, Joe McKnight is the riskiest of the 2010 draft picks. Conner and Wilson are basically sure things. Vlad is risky cause he's from a smaller program but take the total package, he's a good kid and probably will be a smart bet. MckNight is like a 5 dollar scratcher ticket. You might hit it big with him but that doesn't really make it smart. it certainly wasn't a straight swap 2009 leon for 2010 mcknight. Leon is a consummate professional wouldn't dream of showing up in anything less than stellar shape. McK is a complete wild card.

He was a 4th round pick, so whatever. But I could have told you before we drafted him he was a bum.

Oh he's a bum...no doubt. Its like I've been saying. McKnight is not cut out for the NFL.

If Greene isnt the real deal, our backfield is going to be terrible.

He's like JaMarcus Russell in terms of he doesn't want to work for anything and expects to just pass through everything on his god given ability. In the NFL it doesn't work like that. Hell it hardly worked for him in college. This guy is turning out to be a HUGE mistake already. Not impressed and no fan be happy about this move. It's pathetic.

Laziness at it's best. :blink:

I just don't get this guy-I mean he stayed extra after the first time he ralphed all over Florham park and then he goes home and doesn't friggin stay in shape? Very disappointing-I can see the Jets signing another vet if this kid doesn't shape up and either practice squadding or IRing his ass for the year-Jets have done that before...

I just don't get this guy-I mean he stayed extra after the first time he ralphed all over Florham park and then he goes home and doesn't friggin stay in shape? Very disappointing-I can see the Jets signing another vet if this kid doesn't shape up and either practice squadding or IRing his ass for the year-Jets have done that before...

I can understand a 350 lb DE but not a RB -- I hope he turns it around before the dreaded BUST word comes out

He's like JaMarcus Russell in terms of he doesn't want to work for anything and expects to just pass through everything on his god given ability. In the NFL it doesn't work like that. Hell it hardly worked for him in college. This guy is turning out to be a HUGE mistake already. Not impressed and no fan be happy about this move. It's pathetic.

Fortunately, Russell was the 1st overall pick, and this guy is a 4th rounder. His contract is going to be small, and if he wants to be paid even half of what Russell has already been, he's going to need to get his crap together.

Money is a good motivator, I think McKnight will figure that out.

Bit makes some good points. This guy is a boom or bust pick and I'm much more comfortable with this in the 4th round than 6th overall. This bothers me more than the throwing up. I've seen plenty of guy's get sick in practice. Didn't bother me much since he was moving up the ladder and presumably pressing, but this is pertty much inexcusable without an injury of some sort.

Maurice Clarett without the hype or arrests (yet).

I think Clarett's problem was that he was dog slow more than just fat and lazy.

On my site I predicted the careers of over 200 possible draft picks. This was the first year I tried it... From all-pro to bust. We will see how that works out as time goes on... but I had McKnight rated as a fringe player. on a scale of 1 to 7 with 1 being an all pro and 7 being a bust I had him as a 6.

Not because he wasn't talented. He's got 2nd round talent. But because he's a bone head with injury and fumble concerns. I had the other 2 USC backs rated slightly higher.

When I said that after the draft, Jets fans lambasted me for being negative. When I said he was a mess after his vomitorium mini camp I was told not to worry that it was too early... and that I was a jerk. When he didn't want #25 cause he didn't want to be compared with Bush, people thought that was reasonable.

None of that was good signs. This is another bad sign. A running back failing a running test is a big problem.

The fact is i'm not worried about this player. You can't hit on all your draft picks. It's historically unlikely and statistically impossible. It really hasn't been done since the 70's when the Steelers were the only ones scouting small schools and they had some drafts with HOF'ers in every round.

I still stand by the statement, Joe McKnight is the riskiest of the 2010 draft picks. Conner and Wilson are basically sure things. Vlad is risky cause he's from a smaller program but take the total package, he's a good kid and probably will be a smart bet. MckNight is like a 5 dollar scratcher ticket. You might hit it big with him but that doesn't really make it smart. it certainly wasn't a straight swap 2009 leon for 2010 mcknight. Leon is a consummate professional wouldn't dream of showing up in anything less than stellar shape. McK is a complete wild card.

Still too early.

Still too early.

It's too early to call him a complete bust. But if you look at the draft based on what we know now, you have to think that Jets regret having picked him and would have rather have used the pick on someone else. It is NOT to early to have buyers remorse on the guy. The same level or severty of buyers remorse as the Ravens and Cody? Of course not. Having a 4th round pick not work out is never a big deal. But it is not too early to say this was a bad pick.

It's too early to call him a complete bust. But if you look at the draft based on what we know now, you have to think that Jets regret having picked him and would have rather have used the pick on someone else. It is NOT to early to have buyers remorse on the guy. The same level or severty of buyers remorse as the Ravens and Cody? Of course not. Having a 4th round pick not work out is never a big deal. But it is not too early to say this was a bad pick.

What are you talking about? You said the same sh*t he said...

You can't judge a guys draft position on him showing up to camp out of shape. Simple and plain. Question his attitude/work ethic, fine. Concern, obviously. Buyers remorse? What is this bestbuy...

I wont pile on the guy, its not his fault he sucks. Looking forward, Greene and Tomlinson can probably get the Jets to the playoffs. But to make a Super Bowl run they'll need Mark Sanchez to carry the team, either in the regular season to keep Greene fresh, or in the post season once Greene is worn down.

What are you talking about? You said the same sh*t he said...

You can't judge a guys draft position on him showing up to camp out of shape. Simple and plain. Question his attitude/work ethic, fine. Concern, obviously. Buyers remorse? What is this bestbuy...

+1

Not too early to say this was a bad pick? Are you kidding? Why because teams expect to get so much production out of 4th round picks on the first day of camp?

+1

Not too early to say this was a bad pick? Are you kidding? Why because teams expect to get so much production out of 4th round picks on the first day of camp?

C'mon man. The guy reportedly looked awful and out of shape in mini camp. He's had six weeks to get in shape, and he's still failing? There could be more to it, but it sounds bad on the surface.

For example, Haynesworth failed his condidioning test, but IMO its more of a pissing match with Shanahan at play there. Perhaps thats the case with McKnight, but I see no reason why it would be.

Given Haynsworths treatment in Wash who's to say the coaches aren't just intentionally knocking him down a couple notches? Maybe they saw a little attitude issue they didn't like early on and are making sure he understands where he is and what's expected of him.

What does this mysterious "conditioning test" consist of anyway?

C'mon man. The guy reportedly looked awful and out of shape in mini camp. He's had six weeks to get in shape, and he's still failing? There could be more to it, but it sounds bad on the surface.

For example, Haynesworth failed his condidioning test, but IMO its more of a pissing match with Shanahan at play there. Perhaps thats the case with McKnight, but I see no reason why it would be.

Actually, he looked out of shape in mini-camp, not awful. They kept mentioning how he had "flashes" of brilliance. I'm not saying it's good that he failed the conditioning test, but it happened to some starters under Mangini and didn't mean much. It's a bad sign, not the end of the world.

Actually, he looked out of shape in mini-camp, not awful. They kept mentioning how he had "flashes" of brilliance. I'm not saying it's good that he failed the conditioning test, but it happened to some starters under Mangini and didn't mean much. It's a bad sign, not the end of the world.

OK. Awful and out of shape are one and the same IMO, but I see your point. It's not the end of the world at all, I agree. But if you consider his entire body of work, going back to USC, there's a pattern there. He's flashed great capabilities, but also spent a lot of time underachieving, injured, etc. And on the surface, it looks like more of the same. I don't see it as a big deal for the team as a whole though. 3rd string RB's grow on trees in the NFL, and as the roster cuts begin to happen later this month and into Sept, there will be plenty of guys available. I'm constantly searching for kinks in the Jets' armor, but this just aint one of them.

OK. Awful and out of shape are one and the same IMO, but I see your point. It's not the end of the world at all, I agree. But if you consider his entire body of work, going back to USC, there's a pattern there. He's flashed great capabilities, but also spent a lot of time underachieving, injured, etc. And on the surface, it looks like more of the same. I don't see it as a big deal for the team as a whole though. 3rd string RB's grow on trees in the NFL, and as the roster cuts begin to happen later this month and into Sept, there will be plenty of guys available. I'm constantly searching for kinks in the Jets' armor, but this just aint one of them.

if Joe McKnight were undrafted instead of 4th round he'd have been cut by now. Can't play professional athletics if not in professional shape. 2010 might be a wash for this kid, if McK is not on IR by week 1 it would be an upset.

If awful and out of shape mean the same thing to you, then I don't think I should waste time arguing with you.

Playmaker was a word tossed around during that rookie camp and OTA's when people talked about McKnight. I'm not saying he's gonna be good, just saying too early to judge.

if Joe McKnight were undrafted instead of 4th round he'd have been cut by now. Can't play professional athletics if not in professional shape. 2010 might be a wash for this kid, if McK is not on IR by week 1 it would be an upset.

This is a little dramatic and an oversimplification no?

Archived