The End of an era of sorts

Mavrik

With all of the mounting problems the Jets are facing this year, this is, IMO, the last we'll see of the Jets we've been used to for a while. Back are the days of the Kotite era, horrible seasons and horrible players supplemented by horrible coaching staffs. There are too many things happening to this team and too many signs mounting for me to honestly say that this team will not be cellar dwellers in the NFL for the next few years.

We've had the luxury of something as Jets fans we're not used to. a long string of Winning seasons. From 97 till this year, (with the exception of 03), we've had the experience of watching a team at least capable of getting in the playoffs and playing for the super bowl. Now of course, being the Jets, the Super Bowl is but a dream and all of those seasons we're ended on either bad coaching decisions or genuine chokejobs (98 AFC Championship)

Look at all of the problems we have to deal with now.

-64 million invested in a QB who's shoulder is arguably in worse shape than my brother's.

- An aging running back who still plays based on reputation alone and not because of actual production. Not to mention, does not have a genuine backup or replacement(goodbye, Lamont)

-A wide receiver corps that lacks a true playmaker. Coles has been for them ost part consistent, but none of the receivers on the team are capable of turning a normal passing play into a breakout play.

-The offensive line is old and atrotious. Our star center is 35 years old and at the end of his rope. Again, without a suitable replacement (Goodwin? please)

-John Abraham is as good as gone after this season.

- A GM who rarely can put a good draft together much less address the team's needs correctly. (o-line anyone?)

- the team appears heading for salary cap hell.

-Last but not least, we have quite possibly the most inept coach in all of football. A man who plays merely to stay competitve, but not to win. A guy who makes the same mistakes a rookie coach makes nearly 5 years after taking the job as the head coach of the New York Jets. You would have to be an idiot to think that any of the Jets success of the past 5 seasons have been a direct result of Herman Edwards.

I could try and say that I think this team could rebound next year and stay competitive, but I'd be lying. I'm generally one of the more optimistic jets fans on this board, but even I know when to call a spade a spade. The Jets problems right now are much bigger than what can be solved with one draft or a handful of free agent signings. All I'm saying is, prepare yourselves, you've been through this before, because dark times are on the horizon for the New York Jets organization.

Archived