Gravy or Sauce?

Gravy. However, I know of a lot of other Italian families call it sauce...just what side of the tracks you're from I guess.

In my Irish/German household if it was Italian cooking - inwhich my Mom was pretty good at it was called sauce - Pot Roast Chicken Roast Beef then it was called gravy in fact I never knew it was called gravy (Italian) until I watched "The Sopranos". Same to this day with my family,

In my Irish/German household if it was Italian cooking - inwhich my Mom was pretty good at it was called sauce - Pot Roast Chicken Roast Beef then it was called gravy in fact I never knew it was called gravy (Italian) until I watched "The Sopranos". Same to this day with my family,

I never heard Capicola called Gabagool until I saw the Sopranos. And thats still the only time I've heard it.

My Mom's is a 2nd generation Italian...parents were from Sicily. She's a great Italian chef, she's ruined me...can never eat it out.

She makes the best Marinara in the world. Marinara for us was what most people would called Red Sauce. I do have family that calls it gravy.

Edited by JiF

My Mom's is a 2nd generation Italian...parents were from Sicily. She's a great Italian chef, she's ruined me...can never eat it out.

She makes the best Marinara in the world. Marinara for us was what most people would called Red Sauce. I do have family that calls it gravy.

Impossible, because my grandma makes the best Marinara. Kidding aside, agree with being ruined and not be able to eat Italian out.

As far as calling it gravy or sauce, I think it depends what region of italy you're/they're from.

agree thats what non italians think,,but it appears there is a split amongst italians

I thought the story is that Ragu is the italian word for meat sauce and when the immigrants saw that a company had copyrighted a basic part of their vocabulary they decided to fight back by not using the R-word at all and just saying gravy. So I think Italians are in agreement as to what makes something gravy.

We always called it gravy. The "Americans" or med ee GAHNS called it sauce. Either way, it was all good.

First generation Italian-American here and the word "gravy" was used on Thanksgiving Day only.

GEL is right though. It's all good. 'Gotta love Italian food.

Edited by Garb

• 5 years later...

lol.. Thanks ! 

but seriously how do you think he found this? Blatesman was unavailable for FaceTime last night so he was lonely and bored and going through JN archives trying to find the initial sparks of romance between them? Probably making a scrapbook or something 

I never heard Capicola called Gabagool until I saw the Sopranos. And thats still the only time I've heard it.

I think that is Napolitano dialect.  They switch the c sound to g, cut the ends off of words and end most with d.  Calamari becomes "ga-la-mahd"  comare becomes goo-mahd, etc.  The Sicilians just put a u on the end of everything.  Most of Americanized Italian seems Napolitano in my experience. 

I thought the story is that Ragu is the italian word for meat sauce and when the immigrants saw that a company had copyrighted a basic part of their vocabulary they decided to fight back by not using the R-word at all and just saying gravy. So I think Italians are in agreement as to what makes something gravy.

I am not sure of the strict translation, but when Italians say "ragu" they almost always mean "ragu bolognese" which is meat sauce.  It is specific though.  Bolognese is with chopped meat and usually carrots, etc.  My mom makes meat sauce with bracciole, ribs, sausage, etc, That is NOT Bolognese.  They are separate things.  Usually you have Bolognese with fresh tagliatelle. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think that is Napolitano dialect.  They switch the c sound to g, cut the ends off of words and end most with d.  Calamari becomes "ga-la-mahd"  comare becomes goo-mahd, etc.  The Sicilians just put a u on the end of everything.  Most of Americanized Italian seems Napolitano in my experience. 

I am not sure of the strict translation, but when Italians say "ragu" they almost always mean "ragu bolognese" which is meat sauce.  It is specific though.  Bolognese is with chopped meat and usually carrots, etc.  My mom makes meat sauce with bracciole, ribs, sausage, etc, That is NOT Bolognese.  They are separate things.  Usually you have Bolognese with fresh tagliatelle. 

This guy gets it. 

First generation Italian here and it's sauce, gravy is brown and served on thanksgiving (although I've heard many Italian-americans saying gravy, but they're usually not from Brooklyn).  Marinara is a quick tomato sauce as the story is that it comes from fishermen's wives waiting to see the boats come in and then quickly whipping up a tomato sauce which resulted in a chunky texture.

• Upvote 2