Gravy or Sauce?

• 7 months later...
  • 6 years later...

My family is mostly Irish so gravy is for turkey, potatoes, pot roast, etc. Worked for a Sicilian guy actually from Sicily once and asked him about this NY/NJ dialect on Italian foods which pretty much is dropping syllables because why the hell not. He found it to be ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Italian is my favorite cuisine and my Cuban family vows to disown me whenever I say this (maybe they shouldn't have raised me in New Jersey). 

What a great combination of food cultures.  I'd be happy eating Latin style food every day.  Great knowledge on how to cook pork and chicken especially.

• Upvote 1

50% italian.  Mom's side of the family is from Marieno, Sicily.

Grew up in Brooklyn and went to H.S. in Bensonhurst in the 80s where many of my friends were Italian.

Never heard anyone call it gravy until the Sopranos came out.

It was always sauce...if it was cooked with meat it was either meat sauce or Ragu.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

50% italian.  Mom's side of the family is from Marieno, Sicily.

Grew up in Brooklyn and went to H.S. in Bensonhurst in the 80s where many of my friends were Italian.

Never heard anyone call it gravy until the Sopranos came out.

It was always sauce...if it was cooked with meat it was either meat sauce or Ragu.

The meat sauce might be called "sugo" by the off the boat folks from my area of Italy.

So my best friend was born in Calabria, Italy and moved to NY when he was 3.  This photo is his mom, grandmother, aunts and his sister.  

Every year they have a truck of tomatoes brought in from upstate and they make sauce all weekend.  They ALL call it sauce.  

Good enough for them… good enough for me. It’s sauce.  

BA1F733B-060C-448D-AB4C-33F84B00D430.jpeg

• Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, Bugg said:

image.thumb.png.1898f4c8af1a10fa3ae86395bfed7324.png

Our go to jar sauce. Make it at their restaurant in Brooklyn, but sold in super markets. We don't even bother making sauce from scatch any more.  Michaels is a great place too. 

So you call the jar of sauce, labeled as gravy, sauce?

Now I'm really confused.

(On a side note the quality of jarred sauces you can buy at supermarkets has increased 100 fold in the last 10 years)