SJ Reviews: 'The Kids are all Right'..Sytylish Dram-edy that delivers (3 1/2)

SouthernJet

'The Kids are all Right' is a current Indie flick with big-time stars. The cast Annette Bening , Julianne Moore , Mia Wasikowska, Josh Hutcherson, and Mark Ruffalo perform with such ease and grace that the film has a feeling we are watching from a chair in the corner of the room. I must admit, Ruffal is one of my favorite actors and IMHO he again hits a Home run.

The plot; a lesban couple, Bening/Moore have been together 20 yeras and we see their 2 kids, 15 yr old son and 18 yr old daughter as film opens. Both were sperm donated by same man and both Moms took turns as child bearers. The kids decide they want to meet thier 'Dad' and the story begins from here.

Emotions run the gamut, as we see the Moms feel threatened and the kids opening up new feelings about a stranger who seems oddly familiar. I cant give too much away as it constitutes a major spoiler, but suffcice to say there are several sub plots that make this movie a very solid work and well worth your time.

The first scene delivers a dinner table scene that I think helps this film break out of a gay/ straight theme as we see that all families are the same, aka, " write your Thank You notes" , "we dont like one of your freinds", parent banter. And of course the typical teen roll your eyes at dumb parents. A very good film, go enjoy!!

3 1/2stars_002.gif's

the-kids-are-all-right.jpg

'The Kids are all Right' is a current Indie flick with big-time stars. The cast Annette Bening , Julianne Moore , Mia Wasikowska, Josh Hutcherson, and Mark Ruffalo perform with such ease and grace that the film has a feeling we are watching from a chair in the corner of the room. I must admit, Ruffal is one of my favorite actors and IMHO he again hits a Home run.

The plot; a lesban couple, Bening/Moore have been together 20 yeras and we see their 2 kids, 15 yr old son and 18 yr old daughter as film opens. Both were sperm donated by same man and both Moms took turns as child bearers. The kids decide they want to meet thier 'Dad' and the story begins from here.

Emotions run the gamut, as we see the Moms feel threatened and the kids opening up new feelings about a stranger who seems oddly familiar. I cant give too much away as it constitutes a major spoiler, but suffcice to say there are several sub plots that make this movie a very solid work and well worth your time.

The first scene delivers a dinner table scene that I think helps this film break out of a gay/ straight theme as we see that all families are the same, aka, " write your Thank You notes" , "we dont like one of your freinds", parent banter. And of course the typical teen roll your eyes at dumb parents. A very good film, go enjoy!!

3 1/2stars_002.gif's

the-kids-are-all-right.jpg

I suppose hot Juliane on Annette action was too much to hope for.

Archived