Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

So you don't think they should agree on total compensation first (like Tannenbaum said a few times this past week)?

No. Why not get the ACTUAL money out of the way first then deal with the ridiculously inflated number total compensation is going to be.

What's the point of trying to figure out total compensation FIRST when in essence that number means nothing? The guaranteed money is the crucible of the problem.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me too.

But with all the talking that the Jets have done in the press, and all the "leaks" of $100M+ contracts, I can't believe that we wouldn't've heard that the Jets made a $9M signing bonus offer if they had. Because you're right, when you look at Chris Johnson's contract, that would be a very good deal for Revis considering where he is in his contract. The Jets have been working very hard to paint Revis as greedy, I'm sure they'd want to have it out there that he turned down $9M up front - if he had.

It's also likely the jets offered the $4 mill as an initial offer and the revis camp said "don't waste our time with bandaids."

Also, slats, any longterm offer the jets have on the table is for over $10 mill per and the first year is guaranteed in the sense that he won't be cut this year. so why would the jets offer 10 yrs at 100 or 120 mill but not give him 9 mill extra for one year? find it tough to believe they wouldn't.

I hear ya.

Agree to disagree.

civility ... pass it on.

Prior to that AFC championship game against the Colts, I probably would have agreed with you. But Manning really found the blueprint for beating the Jets. Sure revis can lock up wayne and the team can double whoever is running the 2 ... but when you spread the field with 4 and 5 wide, the value of a revis diminishes with the addition of every other receiver that he can't cover and that the team can't double. Without him the defense takes a big hit ... and I really want to see him play from week one. He is a bad man.

I just don't think that getting caught up in what really amounts to ugly pre-negotiaons is beneficial.

It's also likely the jets offered the $4 mill as an initial offer and the revis camp said "don't waste our time with bandaids."

I'm sure that's the case. I'm also sure that's where the "Revis refuses to meet," nonsense stems from.

If I offer a guy on Craig's List $10 for his Les Paul, he's gonna refuse to meet with me, too.

No. Why not get the ACTUAL money out of the way first then deal with the ridiculously inflated number total compensation is going to be.

What's the point of trying to figure out total compensation FIRST when in essence that number means nothing? The guaranteed money is the crucible of the problem.

The problem is the remaining parameters should be agree upon first. Suppose they did it the other way around and they agree to $25 million guaranteed (for example). The Jets want to make that part of a 10 year-120 million contract. Team Revis then turns around and says they want to make it a 2 year-30 million contract. Same guaranteed money, way different parameters.

That's an extreme example (although I'm not so sure it is agreed with the two yo-yos representing Revis), but it shows how big of a difference it can make.

I'm sure that's the case. I'm also sure that's where the "Revis refuses to meet," nonsense stems from.

If I offer a guy on Craig's List $10 for his Les Paul, he's gonna refuse to meet with me, too.

Depends on what section you are in. ;)

http://www.sffootbal...?Article_ID=438

I'm not posting the whole thing because I figure they would sue Jet Nation if I did. But if you go there and read it it doesn't make a good impression. We're dealing with lunatics.

Ole Uncle Sean

Sean Gilbert, who was Albert Haynesworth long before Albert Haynesworth, has resurfaced. He's a budding rap mogul.

Haynesworth's just the latest big-butted bust to have a run with theWashington Redskins. Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato made Redskins Park the Place Where People Go to Get Paid.

In Gilbert's day, the money wasn't so free-flowing.

Pre-Vinny personnel man Charley Casserly gave up the sixth pick in the first round of the 1996 NFL draft to bring Gilbert here from the St. Louis Rams. Gilbert played well for one season, then turned down the Skins' offer of a $20 million deal, with a $5 million signing bonus. He wanted an $8 million bonus. Casserly didn't pay.

Casserly tried hanging the franchise tag on Gilbert, a Pro Bowl defensive tackle, to force him to play here. But Gilbert sat out the season instead. He never wore the Skins uniform again.

In 1998, he vowed to sit out again, forcing the Skins to trade him, and ended up in Carolina. Gilbert retired after the 2003 season. He didn't spend all the money he made on the gridiron. Recently, he launched a rap label, Igot Records, in Charlotte, N.C.

Gilbert's talent stable now includes an act called Kurtiz the Kid.

Here's Kurtiz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcCnhMtoVGQlaying down some tracks with Darrelle Revis of the New York Jets. Revis, a Pro Bowl CB, is currently threatening a holdoutunless the Jets rework his contract.

Hmmm. Wonder where he got the idea.

FWIW, I spoke to someone close to Revis' camp this morning and they straight up denied being offered 10/$120m.

..."If they offered (Revis) that, he would have already signed."

Somebody is lying here. This isn't the first time that I've heard conflicting information from the two sides...

if they turn down rex's proposal to have everyone in room, then the Revis camp is the liars..

i think the yare looking for an average that comes out more than raider aso money for some dumb street pride thing

Also, slats, any longterm offer the jets have on the table is for over $10 mill per and the first year is guaranteed in the sense that he won't be cut this year. so why would the jets offer 10 yrs at 100 or 120 mill but not give him 9 mill extra for one year? find it tough to believe they wouldn't.

So you think they made that offer, Revis refused, and yet that fact hasn't been mysteriously leaked to the media like that 10 year/ $120M contract?

I find that harder to believe.

Obviously, they have to compromise.

I agree that Revis can't expect a $30M signing bonus, but the largest number I've seen in terms of real compensation from the Jets for 2010 is in the $4M range. That's too low. They get into the teens, and this is getting done.

this whole situation is approaching FUBAR status.

i have a question that maybe you know the answer to: i've read over and over that revis has "waived" the $20 mill guaranteed for '11 and '12. so where does that leave the current status of his contract? obviously it's quite moot as it's obvious he'll never play again under this contract no matter what happens.

So you think they made that offer, Revis refused, and yet that fact hasn't been mysteriously leaked to the media like that 10 year/ $120M contract?

I find that harder to believe.

i think the jets offered a 10 year $120 mill contract, yes. but who knows what the guaranteed money was and how it was structured. as has been said many times, big difference between a contract that pays $12 mill a year or one that pays $5 mill a year for the first 8 and then $40 mill per in years 9 and 10.

if they turn down rex's proposal to have everyone in room, then the Revis camp is the liars..

i think the yare looking for an average that comes out more than raider aso money for some dumb street pride thing

Do you really think he was serious? C'mon SJ.

As an observer behind enemy lines, and as a fan who has seen this with their own team, both parties are playing with the truth here. You know it and I know it. Thing is, no one will ever know the actual truth. Revis will report eventually. His spectacular play will resume and all will be forgiven 'till the next time this happens....and it will. Three pro-bowls later - it will happen.

What smear campaign? :huh:

MEvi$ is asking for $16 Mill per for 6 to 7 years, and he wants about $45 mill of that guaranteed.

Woody and Tanny have both said the $16 mill per is out of the question.

Woody wanted to meet with MEvi$ and his agents and he was told no.

I guess stating the facts is some how smearing now aye. :blink:

Well, I'm glad you've seen all of the proposals that have been submitted by both sides, because the only other people who have are the Jets' FO and Revis' representatives. Everything else is just speculation, but people here are taking any speculation, and anything said by the Jets' FO as fact.

I don't know which side is lieing, but I'm smart enough to know that people really need to take a step back and wait for all of the proposals to come out. Everything that's been said have all been rumors and speculation.

Well, I'm glad you've seen all of the proposals that have been submitted by both sides, because the only other people who have are the Jets' FO and Revis' representatives. Everything else is just speculation, but people here are taking any speculation, and anything said by the Jets' FO as fact.

Wrong.

Fact: Revis wants more than Aso.

Fact: Revis turned down a $120 million 10 year contract.

I just heard on Boomer and Cartman Woody offered a 100 million dollar contract---

And bevis said NO.

Because that 100 million dollar contract was most likely all fluff and no substance.

Again Guaranteed money is the issue here, not the made up contract number.

this whole situation is approaching FUBAR status.

i have a question that maybe you know the answer to: i've read over and over that revis has "waived" the $20 mill guaranteed for '11 and '12. so where does that leave the current status of his contract? obviously it's quite moot as it's obvious he'll never play again under this contract no matter what happens.

As I understand it, Revis is under contract for three years right now with the right to buy out the last two. If he does, the Jets have the right to buy them back for $5M and $15M, respectively. Because he failed to report, the guarantees attached to those two years are gone, but the dollar values remain. So if he sits this entire season, next year he can buy out his deal and the Jets can either buy those two years back without the guarantee, or they can slap the high RFA tender on him (if it exists).

The guy on craiglist can turn around and sell his Les Paul to someone offering more money. Revis is not in a position to sell his services to anyone outside of the New York Jets.

My point is that if you load up on high picks in a short period of time, eventually the bill comes due on that and all at the same time. Which is where the Jets are now. This is why many teams look to trade down and build the bulk of their teams with third and fourth round picks.

This is silly. You are complaining because the picks hit? Makes no sense. The "bill" didn't come due at the same time. Revis' "bill" won't be due for 3 years. I'm not in love with how the team is handling this, but you can't blame them for the contract or picking the man. If you can win with 3rd and 4th round picks the Jets should be 100% fine with Lowery, Cromartie and Wilson.

My problem with the poll is that I have no hate for Revis and feel he is worth more than Aso, but I still wouldn't pay him. It could **** us up for years and sets a bad precedent.

I don't know which side is lieing, but I'm smart enough to know that people really need to take a step back and wait for all of the proposals to come out. Everything that's been said have all been rumors and speculation.

OK, if you say so.

Now What smear campaign? :huh:

Wrong.

Fact: Revis wants more than Aso.

Fact: Revis turned down a $120 million 10 year contract.

Wrong on both. Again, you ******* lemmings are believing everything that's being leaked by the team. Where has Revis' agents said "we turned down 10 years/$120 million"? Find that, and then you'll have your fact.

Read that whole article. Wow. I can't not believe they posted that.

7/24/2010 - This is no time for Mike Tannenbaum (and Woody Johnson) to be picking up the telephone inquiring about Terrell Owens.

The only call they should be making -- today, tomorrow, the day after tomorrow -- is to Darrelle Revis and his people.

Every waking hour inside the Atlantic Jets Health Training Center should be devoted to showing their best player enough money to avoid a holdout who could easily make this much ballyhooed Super Bowl-or-Bust season go bust.

That is really the public stance you want to take? That is really the stance that Darrelle is supporting when he has to return to the team and face the players? I guess there is an I in team after all. A CB is going to make the difference between Super Bowl victory or not? Wow, wow, wow. I know how important he is but this is just brutal.

JetS fans who have been forced to panhandle to pay for PSLs in the new stadium -- including those who were reluctantly offered 50 percent refunds -- are in no mood to listen to ownership wails about the labor uncertainties that right now imperil the 2011 season. If Jet fans - and fans of the other 31 NFL teams -- are operating under the belief that there will be football next season, then Johnson and his fellow NFL owners owe it to them to do the same.

Opportunity has never knocked this hard has been the Jets' marketing campaign. It doesn't knock hard at all without the best cornerback in the land.

Not sure what the capital S is for in Jets. Funny though that they bring up the PSL issue. As if the players salaries have nothing to do with ticket prices. It is two sides of people that have more money than we will ever see, trying to pit us against each other.

You know what side we are on? The side that puts the best Jets team on the field. Revis has 3 years left on his contract. Get back to work and handle this sh*t quietly.

Now that T.O. now is a Bengal (one year, $2 million), Tannenbaum (and Johnson) must pick up the phone and call Revis and put an end to this madness and find a way to get this deal done. Not just for him. For his teammates. For the franchise. For the fan

This is petty but they didn't even put a period at the end. Did they spell check this thing? And the way they closed was a little dramatic for my liking. It reminds me of the song in Grease two, do it for your country, Uncle Sam would want you to.

Get over yourselves. I swear I am getting closer to hoping the Jets just say F U and let him rot. He is the best CB in the game but honor the contract you signed.

Classic Jets low-balling garbage.

Regardless of Crazy Al, Revis needs to be paid a cent more than ASO.

Quit screwing around and build a contract that satisfies that need FIRST.

Otherwise, please stop wasting our time.

CLOWNS.

Good idea... then we can bring in 2nd and 3rd stringers because we can't afford anyone else..Lat time I looked it took a TEAM to win... not just one superstar.

Wrong on both. Again, you ******* lemmings are believing everything that's being leaked by the team. Where has Revis' agents said "we turned down 10 years/$120 million"? Find that, and then you'll have your fact.

Ummmmm, maybe because he knows that the little support he has would be out the window if he came out and said he turned that down. No spin job he could offer would be able to get the public back on his side with that one.

This video just somes it ALL up....this kid is a freak....NO CORNER can top him

Listen, rookie. We know what he's capable of. We did see him play last year, we're not stupid. The problem is he's being selfish and full with greed. The Jets went to him for a new contract, not the other way around. However, he looks at their proposal and laughs. The Jets are not going to blink first. They just aren't. David Harris and Nick Mangold should get contracts before him, but yet they went to Revis first. The New York Jets are a football team. They don't need to wait for one player. A player can not hold a team hostage. **** THAT!

Archived