Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't think this is a distraction to the team?

No, it happens and I honestly think we're really overestimating ourselves this season. Sanchez has been ******* putrid. We will literally need to pitch 7-10 point games most of the season as well as go into the playoffs and hold down guys like Brady, Rivers and Manning (assuming they all make the playoffs) to little to no scoring. We have to run the ball obsessively and no one know about Greene's durability, and LT's to boot if he's going to be running the ball.

We have a crap ton of weapons on offense, but no one to get them the ball. Are we a playoff team? Yea, I think so. But SB? No, I really don't considering what I've seen, or haven't seen from Sanchez.

Darrelle Revis is not going to guide us to a SB. I think his presence may be the difference between a WC spot and a Division title as he neutralizes Moss/Marshall who are two fantastic receivers and give us a better shot at winning more division games.

even if there is a cap, having 1 player occupy 12% of it is hardly a team destruction. It just isn't.

its not about one person occupying 12% of a cap. its about an f'in CORNERBACK occupying 12% of the cap. and when other star players gonna need a new contract, what you think the benchmark is gonna be?

so in the end, yes, it can lead to team destruction.

It's time to come to terms with the fact that Revis is not going to play this year.

If Revis costs the Jets their first shot at a Super Bowl in my lifetime I seriously hope the Jets don't trade him and let him rot at home for the rest of his career or play out his existing contract. No raises, no additional money, no nothing.

The Jets paid Mangold + Brick who both have 1 more year in the league than Revis. I am sure the Jets are offering Revis a fair contract with reasonable guaranteed $$. It shouldn't surprise Revis + his agent that the Jets aren't offering a big signing bonus, he's held out twice in his first 3+ years.

As the saying goes "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

even if there is a cap, having 1 player occupy 12% of it is hardly a team destruction. It just isn't.

You said do whatever it takes to get him back.

Since when does whatever leave out anything? :huh:

What % of the cap is too much?

Because he wants more than 12%!

As the saying goes "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

Unless it's the team, in which case they can fool everybody a million times with no shame at all because fans are morons. The Jets caused the first holdout by insisting on a six-year deal when everybody else in the ballpark of the slot got five. The Jets are holding things up now by insisting on an agreement as to total compensation before they'll negotiate on the terms that matter. One side is being completely arbitrary and irrational and it's not Revis.

Based on what Revis is asking for its going to cost the Jets about 16-17 % of the cap. Big difference.

You said do whatever it takes to get him back.

Since when does whatever leave out anything? :huh:

What % of the cap is too much?

Because he wants more than 12%!

The 2009 cap was @ $127M. Revis is supposedly asking for $16.2M. That works out to 12.75% of last year's cap. Unlikely that any contract he signs would be $16.2M x 10 years, more likely it would have lower salaries that increase over the life of the deal that would average out to that $16.2M figure. So even if he were to get everything was asking for, it's unlikely that he'd ever be over 12% of the cap in any given season.

The 2009 cap was @ $127M. Revis is supposedly asking for $16.2M. That works out to 12.75% of last year's cap. Unlikely that any contract he signs would be $16.2M x 10 years, more likely it would have lower salaries that increase over the life of the deal that would average out to that $16.2M figure. So even if he were to get everything was asking for, it's unlikely that he'd ever be over 12% of the cap in any given season.

...And he knows that, which is why he's asking for such a ridiculously high amount of guaranteed money...

just to be clear...

when the cap was introduced in 1994 it was 35 mil.

last year 2009 cap was 128 Million.

It has never ever gone down. It has only gone up.

using last year's numbers (which will probably go up)

and using Aso's salary (which Revis isn't gonna get)

16 mil into 128 mil is 12.5%

i hadn't seen this post but he's correct. And if people say that the cap will go down, keep in mind that the league has television contracts that aren't up for renewal until 2014. and it's highly unlikely those go down. Also keep in mind the league just submitted a proposal for an 18 game season. That means even more cap room will be allotted, and increased rosters, for more players playing more games.

When you have other big players signed to big contracts, it certainly is, especially if that 1 player is not QB.

When you have other big players signed to big contracts, it certainly is, especially if that 1 player is not QB.

they have other good players but no other superstars that are even close to the same level of talent as Revis.

David Harris i like the best but they can franchise tag him for about 8 mil.

and if they can't he's an ILB. You can find ILBs you can't find shut down cornerbacks.

they have other good players but no other superstars that are even close to the same level of talent as Revis.

David Harris i like the best but they can franchise tag him for about 8 mil.

and if they can't he's an ILB. You can find ILBs you can't find shut down cornerbacks.

you're on the assumption that there will be no "stars" for the next 10 years. and if sanchez matures the way we want him to, he'll be getting a nice pay raise in just a few years.

Cap percentages aside...

If he wants to make more than Aso now, which is what he said, how are they going to give him a lower number this year or for the next few years?

If they do get him to agree to a lower number for the beginning of the contract by giving him the guaranteed money he's reportedly seeking, then how do they guard against another holdout?

Keep in mind, nobody knows how a "hold out clause" would be treated by the new CBA.

Clearly this is not a cut and dry situation, where only the Jets are being "completely arbitrary and irrational."

you're on the assumption that there will be no "stars" for the next 10 years. and if sanchez matures the way we want him to, he'll be getting a nice pay raise in just a few years.

Maybe he does not know what happens when you assume. :huh:

Holmes is a super bowl MVP, who very well may have made the greatest super bowl winning catch in history.

What is his talent level?

Whatever you call it, he has more hardware than Revis. (Fact!)

If he wants to make more than Aso now, which is what he said, how are they going to give him a lower number this year or for the next few years?

'Making more than Aso now' doesn't necessarily mean higher 2010 base salary.

Maybe he does not know what happens when you assume.

Evidently you do.

'Making more than Aso now' doesn't necessarily mean higher 2010 base salary.

If they do get him to agree to a lower number for the beginning of the contract by giving him the guaranteed money he's reportedly seeking, then how do they guard against another holdout?

Keep in mind, nobody knows how a "hold out clause" would be treated by the new CBA.

Clearly this is not a cut and dry situation, where only the Jets are being "completely arbitrary and irrational."

Holmes is a super bowl MVP, who very well may have made the greatest super bowl winning catch in history.

What is his talent level?

Whatever you call it, he has more hardware than Revis. (Fact!)

he's a very good player who is a stiff sneeze away from indefinite suspension.

If the jets give this player long term money I'll eat my hat. he's just too risky for their tastes. Say what you will about Revis he's got steady character and work ethic... and is not in the league's substance abuse program.

If the jets give this player long term money I'll eat my hat. he's just too risky for their tastes. Say what you will about Revis he's got steady character and work ethic... and is not in the league's substance abuse program.

If Holmes plays a good soldier this season, he'll get the extension over Braylon Edwards. Holmes is just nasty.

What happened to "no other superstars that are even close to the same level of talent as Revis?"

but wouldnt the signing bonus have to be figured in???

Archived