Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

It is absolutely his prerogative! Bravo to you!

I think it's a smart move on his part, because the Jets won't let him rot. They'll either pay him, or trade him to someone who will.

I'd let him rot!

Pay the guys who showed up to camp first!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's not just playing for $1M this year.

You can't disregard the guaranteed money he recieved as part of his contract before he ever lined up for an NFL snap.

Revis's current contract pays him $36 million over 6 years. He has collected about $15 million of that to date, including a $5 million bonus and about $6 million in other guaranteed money.

When evaluating what he makes per year, you can not ONLY consider his salary for this year and disregard the "up front" bonus money and guarantees he also pocketed to date, which in this case makes up the majority of his overall salary. When you want money up front and get it, that always automatically reduces the traditional "yearly" salary. That's the price you pay for guaranteed money.

I have no sympathy for Darelle Revis.

He put his name to a 6 year contract knowing the agreement at the time and received an AGREEABLE amount of money for his services, including what was, at the time, a ton of money for a CB, especially an unproven one.

That's the gamble associated with front loading a long term contract with guaranteed money.

You can't have the best of both worlds.

Agreed

Revis's current contract pays him $36 million over 6 years. He has collected about $15 million of that to date, including a $5 million bonus and about $6 million in other guaranteed money.

When evaluating what he makes per year, you can not ONLY consider his salary for this year and disregard the "up front" bonus money and guarantees he also pocketed to date, which in this case makes up the majority of his overall salary. When you want money up front and get it, that always automatically reduces the traditional "yearly" salary. That's the price you pay for guaranteed money.

I believe the total is closer to $12M, but whatever...

Even using your numbers, that would "only" average about $4M/year, which is way below any reasonable market value for a player of Revis' caliber.

He only has $1M (or just $550K by some reports) coming this year, and is not under contract for another dime until the Jets pick up and guarantee the last two years of his deal.

For a player who has the talent and potential to earn in the $100M range, he's be a complete and utter moron to risk his future for $1M.

I'm glad he's not an idiot. It's part of what makes him so good.

That's great and all....but the Jets aint winning the division without Revis let alone a Super Bowl.

Really? Since when is a CB the most important position on the field. I don't know of any team in SB history that's won the big game riding on the shoulders of a CB.

First off, I would advise my son to STFU and keep your face and remarks out of the media. Either go to camp or stay out. Don't be pulling this yo-yo crap every few days.

He's really been pretty good. One episode in the OTA's that I don't think he's proud of, other than that it's been media regurgitation, not Revis.

Really? Since when is a CB the most important position on the field. I don't know of any team in SB history that's won the big game riding on the shoulders of a CB.

The Jets dont have a star QB(yet)...if they win the Super Bowl their defense is most likely going to carry them. He's by far the best player on the Jets. I think its safe to say they need their best player to shut down pass happy teams.

Super Bowl III, Johnny Sample. biggrin.gif

That's great and all....but the Jets aint winning the division without Revis let alone a Super Bowl.

That's debatable.

But one thing that is not debatable is that if you give into Revis's demands while he holds you hostage, then the Jets will be dealing with holdouts and distractions every year from other players who think they can do the same thing in the future.

Hold his paycheck and fine his ass for every day he's not in camp.

I guarantee you he ain't gonna sit for long, not with 3 years left on his current contract.

The best thing that could happen right now is that Mangold gets his extention before Revis.

THAT sends a much better message ... "Do the right thing, honor your current contract, be a "team first" guy and get into camp, and if we feel you're deserving of a raise, we'll do the right thing and act in good faith by working with you on an extention."

I hope to God Mangold gets his before Revis for this reason alone.

Super Bowl III, Johnny Sample. biggrin.gif

He had a great game, he was part of a great defense.

He does not win without the rest of the team and either does Revis.

I don't think you could be as sure that they don't win without him.

But one thing that is not debatable is that if you give into Revis's demands while he holds you hostage, then the Jets will be dealing with holdouts and distractions every year from other players who think they can do the same thing in the future.

No, that's debatable. I think the players understand that Revis is on another level. That's a BS excuse from management why they don't do deals early.

I guarantee you he ain't gonna sit for long, not with 3 years left on his current contract.

I hope it doesn't come to it, but I'd be willing to bet that if Revis sits out for the entire year he'd be traded before next years' draft to a team willing to pay him.

No, that's debatable. I think the players understand that Revis is on another level. That's a BS excuse from management why they don't do deals early.

I hope it doesn't come to it, but I'd be willing to bet that if Revis sits out for the entire year he'd be traded before next years' draft to a team willing to pay him.

He will not sit out the entire year.

The situation will be rectified amicably, it's just a matter of how.

I'd be shocked if he's not on the field in Week 1.

He had a great game, he was part of a great defense.

He does not win without the rest of the team and either does Revis.

I don't think you could be as sure that they don't win without him.

Haha! Football's a team sport? Really?

Revis is the difference between the Jets being a #1 defense, and the Jets struggling to be a Top 10 defense. Rex designed this dee around Revis' talents, and he stepped up big time. His presence allows the Jets to blitz on every passing down. No other team can single cover #1 WR's all day long.

Revis is the difference between the Jets being a #1 defense, and the Jets struggling to be a Top 10 defense. Rex designed this dee around Revis' talents, and he stepped up big time. His presence allows the Jets to blitz on every passing down. No other team can single cover #1 WR's all day long.

Yeah and if Revis does not want to be a part of that, Rex makes adjustments.

Life goes on...

I'd sign Mangold and Harris and let Revis sweat it out.

I think you're right on this point.

The Jet defense does revolve around Revis' ability to shut down the opposing team's best receiver "one on one" so it frees up other DB's to blitz.

The question is could Cromartie and/or Wilson play well enough to compensate for the potential loss of Revis?

Probably not 100%, but maybe well enough where the Jet D is still a Top three unit.

I don't think it will come to this, though.

Yeah and if Revis does not want to be a part of that, Rex makes adjustments.

Life goes on...

I'd sign Mangold and Harris and let Revis sweat it out.

It would not help but lets not forget that Cro and Wilson are there and very capable.

Rex has been a part of better defenses with far worse CBs than the JETS have this year even without Revis.

Good for you. Revis is betting that the Jets won't cut off their nose to spite their face. Smart bet on his part, IMHO.

How smart will it be if they just fine his ass, buyout his next 2 years, and let him rot?

He chose not to be in camp, make him sweat it out, no way he just sits.

Look I want him resigned, but BOTH parties need to be reasonable here.

How smart will it be if they just fine his ass, buyout his next 2 years, and let him rot?

That would be stupid, though, wouldn't it?

The Jets need to either (preferably) pay him or trade him for value to a team that will. They wouldn't let him rot. They'll either pay him and get him on the field, or they'll get some players/draft picks in return for him from a team that will pay him.

The Jets need to either (preferably) pay him or trade him for value to a team that will. They wouldn't let him rot. They'll either pay him and get him on the field, or they'll get some players/draft picks in return for him from a team that will pay him.

Agreed, Slats.

I think they'll pay him ... I just hope it's done while he's participating in camp.

Most likely, but both are valid options.

Just as you point out Revis has allot to lose by not sitting out, he can lose allot by sitting out as well.

The Jets have an entire team, Revis is again on an island. I think he'd sweat it out more than the NFL franchise would.

I hope they can both reasonably agree on a contract, but when push comes to shove...

Who's more needy? Revis or the number 9 most valuable team in sports?

ok, so what do we get in a trade ?

will there be a draft next year ?

if yes, I say we need next years #1 and #2, and a 2012 #3 (if the world doesn't end)

add to that a RDE with some rush ability and throw in a few special teamers and I say get rid of his ass

It is absolutely his prerogative! Bravo to you!

I think it's a smart move on his part, because the Jets won't let him rot. They'll either pay him, or trade him to someone who will.

Sure it's Revis' prerogative to hold out, but is it really in his best interest? Do you believe the Jets haven't made their best offer to him yet? Like now Tannenbaum is going to see Revis holding out and will think oh geez he's really serious about getting paid more than we're offering him! For the Jets to give him what he wants now because he held out would show themselves to be disingenuous and set a dangerous precedent for future player negotiations.

Besides how long will he hold out for? If he holds out one day he loses his guarantees and past Aug 10 he loses a year towards free agency. A long hold out, if he holds out, will make him look less and less like a team player and leader.

The Jets organization has made it clear that they don't tolerate holdouts, especially when they feel a player is f***ing with them. Throwing their good will and praise back in their face was not cool, especially when he would have asked for a new contract anyway.

If Revis holds out I would not be surprised if the Jets stop further negotiations with him in response and make him play under his current terms.

Archived