Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

Harris and Mangold before Revis,they are in camp.

that would be my approach, train them like dogs, reward guys who come to camp and ignore the hold outs. he's not in his walk year, he's not a rookie who can go back to the draft.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, Slats.

I think they'll pay him ... I just hope it's done while he's participating in camp.

I hear you, but if Revis tears an ACL in practice, he loses all his leverage.

I certainly hope the two sides come to an agreement quickly, though. Between Wilson's deal getting done and the two years at $20M that Revis has coming, they should be able to come up with something reasonable in a reasonable amount of time. If the Rams can give Sam Bradford $50M in guarantees, the Jets can come up with something for Revis without crying about the CBA boogeyman.

. If the Rams can give Sam Bradford $50M in guarantees, the Jets can come up with something for Revis without crying about the CBA boogeyman.

can you confirm bradfords deal is fully guaranteed vs skill and injury ?

do you know if rookie deals are treated differently than vets ?

YES. There will absolutely be a draft next year. It is the final event convered by the current CBA. There might not be rookie minicamps the weekend after the draft, but there will be a draft.

txs

I'm just venting anyway, this is why I never buy jerseys of current players :angry:

Sure it's Revis' prerogative to hold out, but is it really in his best interest? Do you believe the Jets haven't made their best offer to him yet? Like now Tannenbaum is going to see Revis holding out and will think oh geez he's really serious about getting paid more than we're offering him! For the Jets to give him what he wants now because he held out would show themselves to be disingenuous and set a dangerous precedent for future player negotiations.

Besides how long will he hold out for? If he holds out one day he loses his guarantees and past Aug 10 he loses a year towards free agency. A long hold out, if he holds out, will make him look less and less like a team player and leader.

The Jets organization has made it clear that they don't tolerate holdouts, especially when they feel a player is f***ing with them. Throwing their good will and praise back in their face was not cool, especially when he would have asked for a new contract anyway.

If Revis holds out I would not be surprised if the Jets stop further negotiations with him in response and make him play under his current terms.

No, I don't think Tannenbaum's made his top offer yet. He's too wily a negotiator to've done so.

And if the Jets take a hard line with him, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the hard line himself and sits out the year - just like his uncle did. The Jets can't make him play. He's willing to risk those guarantees (which he hasn't gotten yet), and his year towards free agency because he believes that he'll get paid before it ever comes to him really losing those things.

His teammates support his decision to do what he needs to do. Lava Coles used to pull the same sh*t with less talent, and he never lost his leadership status in the locker room.

can you confirm bradfords deal is fully guaranteed vs skill and injury ?

do you know if rookie deals are treated differently than vets ?

I've read that his guarantees are legit (unlike D'Brick's deal), and the only difference between rookie deals and veteran deals is that rookie deals are riskier. I think any team in the league would rather guarantee Revis $50M before they guaranteed it to Bradford.

Both sides need to negotiate, but Revis would be a complete fool to play for "just" $1M this year with no guarantees going forward when he could lose his ability to earn in a split second on the practice field.

agree..but I think her point may be that you and I dont know whats really going in in negotiations..they may have offer 12-14 , who knows..is he demanding to be more tahn crazy raider contratct?? If so, shame on him..Are Jets offering 8, 10 mill etc , Then shame on them et cetc..

dont assume its all on Jets..or all on Revis...

agree..but I think her point may be that you and I dont know whats really going in in negotiations..they may have offer 12-14 , who knows..is he demanding to be more tahn crazy raider contratct?? If so, shame on him..Are Jets offering 8, 10 mill etc , Then shame on them et cetc..

Good point!

I agree with this.

I feel people are rushing to condemn Revis, when usually it's the side holding the hammer that's being unreasonable. But we won't know where the two sides are at until they come to some conclusion.

I've read that his guarantees are legit (unlike D'Brick's deal), and the only difference between rookie deals and veteran deals is that rookie deals are riskier. I think any team in the league would rather guarantee Revis $50M before they guaranteed it to Bradford.

but

from ESPN

"This has the makings of a long, ugly holdout. By league rule, Revis is subject to a $16,000-a-day fine. If he doesn't report by Aug. 10, the 2010 season won't count as an accrued season for him. He's due to make $1 million this season.

The bigger issue is this: By not showing, Revis essentially waived a future guarantee. His salaries in 2011 and 2012 -- $5 million and $15 million, respectively -- were to be guaranteed after the season, when the Jets planned to exercise a buy-back option. His no-show violates a clause in his current contract, meaning the $20 million becomes non-guaranteed.

That Revis has taken that risk indicates the depth of his frustration. Revis wants to become the league's highest-paid cornerback, topping the Oakland Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha ($16 million-per-year average). The Jets are believed to be offering around $12 million a year, but the contract includes no fully guaranteed money.

Because of the so-called reallocation rule, the Jets are prohibited from fully guaranteeing future base salaries against injury and skill. It can be one, but not both. However, the Jets can make up for that with substantial up-front money. Because it's an uncapped year, this would seem like the ideal time for that, but they don't want to make that kind of commitment because of the league's labor uncertainty."

I think this means the jets can't make the same guarantees the rams did, even if they wanted to

I have bad feeling about this......

No, I don't think Tannenbaum's made his top offer yet. He's too wily a negotiator to've done so.

And if the Jets take a hard line with him, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the hard line himself and sits out the year - just like his uncle did. The Jets can't make him play. He's willing to risk those guarantees (which he hasn't gotten yet), and his year towards free agency because he believes that he'll get paid before it ever comes to him really losing those things.

His teammates support his decision to do what he needs to do. Lava Coles used to pull the same sh*t with less talent, and he never lost his leadership status in the locker room.

You missed the point. It's irrelevant whether or not Tannenbaum has made his best offer. At this point he won't make a better offer. He would look like a fool if he did so because Revis held out, besides setting the wrong precedent.

Whatever Revis does outside of being a good citizen will be counterproductive to getting what he wants.

Revis playing the hard line will jeopardize any "bandaid" solution that could be worked out imo.

Because of the so-called reallocation rule, the Jets are prohibited from fully guaranteeing future base salaries against injury and skill. It can be one, but not both. However, the Jets can make up for that with substantial up-front money. Because it's an uncapped year, this would seem like the ideal time for that, but they don't want to make that kind of commitment because of the league's labor uncertainty."

This is what I'm talking about. Jets can afford to give him a sizable bonus right now, but they're crying "CBA uncertainty." Which is a bunch of bullsh*t. These guys already know how the labor deal is essentially gonna shake out. The owners hold all the cards in those negotiations. But by pretending they don't know, they've colluded to not give extensions to veterans because they don't want to help fund the players in the event of a lockout. What a load of crap.

Again, if the Rams can guarantee Bradford $50M, they can give Revis some up front money.

You missed the point. It's irrelevant whether or not Tannenbaum has made his best offer. At this point he won't make a better offer. He would look like a fool if he did so because Revis held out, besides setting the wrong precedent.

I got your point, I just disagree with it. Apparently Revis does, too. He's banking on a better offer coming his way, and I bet he'll hear a few before they settle.

Isnt it amazing how fans have this sense of enititlment they expect from the players like they owe them something. Fact is, Revis owes the Jets and their fans absolutely nothing. This is a business just like any other, there is zero loyalty and anyone who says theyre loyal are yonh....and any other red blooded American on here would want to get paid what they're worth at their job.

Actually, you're wrong. Revis is legally bound to provide a service to the New York Jets. He signed a contract. Nobody put a gun to his head and forced him to sign that contract, he did it of his own free will. Now he has no interest in abiding by what he signed, now that he's already collected on an amount far more than he would have had he not received that 6-year deal. The only person around here with a sense of entitlement is Revis.

They say that a man is only as good as his word, and clearly Revis' word isn't worth sh*t.

As far as this little story of him needing to do what's right by him because of the Leon situation, I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. Granted it really sucks for him if he suffers a major injury, but why exactly should the Jets have to shell out a crap load of money now to make Revis feel better in case something happens and he can't actually earn it later? You all want to talk about what a business this is, so from a business standpoint what possible reason exists that the Jets should give him the new deal he wants? Revis has to concede something in order to make this worthwhile for them, and he is completely unwilling to do so. I know people like to take the side of the player because the system is always wrong and screwing over the little guy, but this guy is already a millionaire and you know what, the Jets are in the right on this one. They have a signed contract they expect him to honor, and he's refusing to do so. Outside of greed, he has absolutely no leg to stand on.

As far as trying to compare it to a normal job, just consider that if the very first time at your job you did something at work that was considered above your pay grade, you immediately ran to your boss and told them you wanted a raise, and told them if you didn't get one, you weren't showing up to work anymore, what exactly do you think would happen? You'd be cleaning off your desk five minutes later, that's what.

If Revis were your son, what would your advice to him be? Would you advise him to play for that $1M? Your son Revis might remind you how his friend Leon Washington bet on himself, got injured, and lost big time. He was in line to make multi-millions, and not will never see that kind of money. Would you want your kid to take that kind of risk, or would you want him to get some security up front first?

I know how I'd be advising my kid.

I do not think anyone is suggesting he play for $1 million. My advice would be to not dig in his heels when he is in an untenable position. What he is apparently asking for is simply not going to happen. If he remains inflexible on these demands, **** him. If he is unwilling to reach a realistic win-win compromise, the Jets should hold his feet to the fire and make him play out the existing, enforceable 1st round contact he *agreed* to. What a concept -- living up to an agreement. Otherwise, he can forget football and get a real job like the rest of us. Well, most of us. :-)

This is what I'm talking about. Jets can afford to give him a sizable bonus right now, but they're crying "CBA uncertainty." Which is a bunch of bullsh*t. These guys already know how the labor deal is essentially gonna shake out. The owners hold all the cards in those negotiations. But by pretending they don't know, they've colluded to not give extensions to veterans because they don't want to help fund the players in the event of a lockout. What a load of crap.

Again, if the Rams can guarantee Bradford $50M, they can give Revis some up front money.

I'm sure ther owners have talked about what they want to impose on the players, but they have no idea of what will eventually be agreed to.

I also read a little nugget that he is not officially holding out until 5:30 today

so we can hope for a hail mary

cuz if this goes into tomorrow, I don't think he plays for the jets this year

what a shame

You all want to talk about what a business this is, so from a business standpoint what possible reason exists that the Jets should give him the new deal he wants?

Because the Jets are a much better team with Revis on the field. If the Jets are in the business of winning, then investing in Revis is a wise decision.

This is why it's wise for Revis to hold out, because the Jets are likely to cave.

I got your point, I just disagree with it. Apparently Revis does, too. He's banking on a better offer coming his way, and I bet he'll hear a few before they settle.

Revis has boxed himself in a corner. After foolishly going public with his contract beef, it will take a heavy dose of humble pie to be a good citizen now.

The only offers he will hear at this point will be "bandaids" and he would be smart to accept one.

I do not think anyone is suggesting he play for $1 million. My advice would be to not dig in his heels when he is in an untenable position. What he is apparently asking for is simply not going to happen. If he remains inflexible on these demands, **** him. If he is unwilling to reach a realistic win-win compromise, the Jets should hold his feet to the fire and make him play out the existing, enforceable 1st round contact he *agreed* to. What a concept -- living up to an agreement. Otherwise, he can forget football and get a real job like the rest of us. Well, most of us. :-)

the question is if we were your kid, how much between 1 and 16 million would u tell him to sign?

I serioiusly doubt Jets are offering million..

If he is unwilling to reach a realistic win-win compromise, the Jets should hold his feet to the fire and make him play out the existing, enforceable 1st round contact he *agreed* to. What a concept -- living up to an agreement.

1.) There is no reason to believe that Revis' camp has been unwilling to deal.

2.) The Jets can't make him play. All they can do is fine him while withholding his pay. And that really doesn't help them.

Actually, you're wrong. Revis is legally bound to provide a service to the New York Jets. He signed a contract. Nobody put a gun to his head and forced him to sign that contract, he did it of his own free will. Now he has no interest in abiding by what he signed, now that he's already collected on an amount far more than he would have had he not received that 6-year deal. The only person around here with a sense of entitlement is Revis.

They say that a man is only as good as his word, and clearly Revis' word isn't worth sh*t.

As far as this little story of him needing to do what's right by him because of the Leon situation, I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. Granted it really sucks for him if he suffers a major injury, but why exactly should the Jets have to shell out a crap load of money now to make Revis feel better in case something happens and he can't actually earn it later? You all want to talk about what a business this is, so from a business standpoint what possible reason exists that the Jets should give him the new deal he wants? Revis has to concede something in order to make this worthwhile for them, and he is completely unwilling to do so. I know people like to take the side of the player because the system is always wrong and screwing over the little guy, but this guy is already a millionaire and you know what, the Jets are in the right on this one. They have a signed contract they expect him to honor, and he's refusing to do so. Outside of greed, he has absolutely no leg to stand on.

As far as trying to compare it to a normal job, just consider that if the very first time at your job you did something at work that was considered above your pay grade, you immediately ran to your boss and told them you wanted a raise, and told them if you didn't get one, you weren't showing up to work anymore, what exactly do you think would happen? You'd be cleaning off your desk five minutes later, that's what.

Well said.

Revis has boxed himself in a corner. After foolishly going public with his contract beef, it will take a heavy dose of humble pie to be a good citizen now.

The only offers he will hear at this point will be "bandaids" and he would be smart to accept one.

I think you're wrong, Buddy, but we'll see. :cheers:

1.) There is no reason to believe that Revis' camp has been unwilling to deal.

2.) The Jets can't make him play. All they can do is fine him while withholding his pay. And that really doesn't help them.

agree on both points..

on other question, if revis my kid I would advice that 11-12 mill offer a good point to return to practice and sign between 12-14 depending on upfront cash

Because the Jets are a much better team with Revis on the field. If the Jets are in the business of winning, then investing in Revis is a wise decision.

This is why it's wise for Revis to hold out, because the Jets are likely to cave.

lol. the Jets organization is smarter than for what you give them credit.

If Revis were your son, what would your advice to him be? Would you advise him to play for that $1M? Your son Revis might remind you how his friend Leon Washington bet on himself, got injured, and lost big time. He was in line to make multi-millions, and not will never see that kind of money. Would you want your kid to take that kind of risk, or would you want him to get some security up front first?

I know how I'd be advising my kid.

Washington had a chance to sign a new contract the Jets offered him, he just chose not to. Revis is doing the same.

If he were my son, I'd tell him to get over himself if he's such a greedy little bastard that he thinks he should get $16 million / year. The Jets are already offering him a new deal that would pay him well more than he's currently making. If he's that scared of getting hurt, take the injury guarantee instead of the skill and get a new deal. Either that, or honor the deal he signed that's already made him a millionaire. Two very reasonable options that are being offered by a team who's already treated him very well. So pick one and stop being such a selfish child.

You act like he has no options. He absolutely does. He just doesn't have the one option that he wants. So he thinks that makes it ok for him not to honor his contract. It doesn't.

on other question, if revis my kid I would advice that 11-12 mill offer a good point to return to practice and sign between 12-14 depending on upfront cash

I'd advise him to sign before he set foot on the field. One wrong twist, and contract talks are over.

The $12-14M range is certainly fair, again, depending on the guarantees. The Jets could come up with some bonus money.

I'd advise him to sign before he set foot on the field. One wrong twist, and contract talks are over.

The $12-14M range is certainly fair, again, depending on the guarantees. The Jets could come up with some bonus money.

I read where Jets have offered 12M..the upfront cash wasnt to Revis liking though..I assume we will see a tad more upfront and a contract at 13.5

Contracts mean nothing in the NFL, everyone here should know that already. The moment the player gets hurt or doesn't perform up to par, the team will either cut him or ask him to restructure. Also, if the reports are true with the Jets about promising contracts and not holding up their end of the deal this could be a ongoing thing with this team and the young talent we've drafted over the years. IMO some guys on this team are keepers, Revis is one of them.

If he were my son, I'd tell him to get over himself if he's such a greedy little bastard that he thinks he should get $16 million / year. The Jets are already offering him a new deal that would pay him well more than he's currently making. If he's that scared of getting hurt, take the injury guarantee instead of the skill and get a new deal. Either that, or honor the deal he signed that's already made him a millionaire. Two very reasonable options that are being offered by a team who's already treated him very well. So pick one and stop being such a selfish child.

You act like he has no options. He absolutely does. He just doesn't have the one option that he wants. So he thinks that makes it ok for him not to honor his contract. It doesn't.

We don't know what Revis is willing to accept, or what the Jets have offered. That's the problem I have with the stance it seems a lot of fans are taking. That Revis is wrong, and the team is being generous. I doubt that's the case. They can get around the skill/injury guarantee clause by giving him a healthy bonus in an uncapped year.

Haha! Football's a team sport? Really?

Revis is the difference between the Jets being a #1 defense, and the Jets struggling to be a Top 10 defense. Rex designed this dee around Revis' talents, and he stepped up big time. His presence allows the Jets to blitz on every passing down. No other team can single cover #1 WR's all day long.

Based on what? The facts say that Rex is the difference between the Jets being a top defense and the Jets being a bottom of the barrel defense. Revis played on some pretty mediocre defenses and wasn't shutting down anyone until Rex arrived. Not to say I have any wishes to see the Jets play without Revis, but while I think he's very valuable, I think he's definitely overvalued by some who think the entire defense would fall apart without him.

We don't know what Revis is willing to accept, or what the Jets have offered. That's the problem I have with the stance it seems a lot of fans are taking. That Revis is wrong, and the team is being generous. I doubt that's the case. They can get around the skill/injury guarantee clause by giving him a healthy bonus in an uncapped year.

In all seriousness, can you give me one reason that the Jets should believe if they give Revis a majority of his money in a sizable bonus and then give him lower base salaries that he won't hold out again in a few years when he's making only X number of dollars in salary? It's not a reasonable option for the Jets because Revis has proven himself untrustworthy.

Based on what? The facts say that Rex is the difference between the Jets being a top defense and the Jets being a bottom of the barrel defense. Revis played on some pretty mediocre defenses and wasn't shutting down anyone until Rex arrived. Not to say I have any wishes to see the Jets play without Revis, but while I think he's very valuable, I think he's definitely overvalued by some who think the entire defense would fall apart without him.

I didn't say bottom of the barrel, though, did I? I said struggling to make the Top 10 which would've put them ahead of 20 other teams in the league without Revis in that scenario - and that might be generous.

But if the Jets are going all out for a Super Bowl this year, they ain't doing it without Darrelle. That's the leverage he brings to a holdout.

Archived