Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

I kind of lean this way. Let him take out an insurance policy if he's worried about a career-ending or career-altering injury. Why should the Jets continue to pay him (and in turn, have fewer available funds to give to a replacement) if he isn't playing for the team anymore. They're buying his service, not buying him. If he's not playing for the Jets, he's worthless to the Jets.

Not me (in case no one noticed). tongue.gif

Every other major sport seems to have guaranteed contracts while the NFL seems to be going in the opposite direction on that front. Not only D'Brick's deal, but a few others we're reading about (who got the series of one year deals?) are really anti-player. These are world class athletes, too, who just happen to play in the nation's most popular sport - yet they have the worst labor deal of the bunch and the owners are working hard to make it worse. It would piss me off if I was a player.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conflicting reports emerge regarding possible Jets, Revis deal

Posted by Mike Florio on August 22, 2010 4:59 PM ET

A fairly slow Sunday afternoon has been spiced up by a Twitter conflict regarding the question of whether the Jets and cornerback Darrelle Revis are close to getting a deal done.

For those of you who haven't been paying attention, Revis failed to show up for the start of training camp three weeks ago.

It all started with a tweet from Tim Cowlishaw, a sports writer who doesn't focus on football and who has become best known for his work on ESPN's Around The Horn. In a message with the tone that we're used to seeing from the OCNN, Cowlishaw writes, "Revis and Jets announce new deal, probably Wednesday. You heard it here first. 'Inside information!'"

In a follow up, Cowlishaw writes, "I was told they will announce it this week, not [definitely] Wednesday but probably Wednesday. This person has never been wrong."

But there's a first time for everything. Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News writes that the team and Revis "have no plans" to announce a contract this week. Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that she has "confirmed" that the Cowlishaw tweet isn't true.

It remains to be seen how this one plays out. Rosenthal thinks Cowlishaw's Twitter account may have been hacked. I think that Cowlishaw simply wants a little attention, given that everyone has been talking about one of his ATH colleagues.

How the hell did Jenny Vrentas "confirm" that Cowlishaw is wrong?

A media blackout is a media blackout. Cowlishaw is not claiming to have spoken to someone close to either side. He is trusting a source who hasn't let him down in the past.

Vrentas is the one who is lying when she claims she has confirmed Colishaw is wrong.

How the hell did Jenny Vrentas "confirm" that Cowlishaw is wrong?

A media blackout is a media blackout. Cowlishaw is not claiming to have spoken to someone close to either side. He is trusting a source who hasn't let him down in the past.

Vrentas is the one who is lying when she claims she has confirmed Colishaw is wrong.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Dallas Morning News columnist Tim Cowlishaw is standing by his report that a deal between the Jets and Darrelle Revis is imminent.

Cowlishaw cites a source who he claims "has never been wrong." The New York Daily News, Newark Star-Ledger, and Adam Schefter of ESPN have all cautioned against it (the Daily News was especially adamant no deal is close), but Cowlishaw says an announcement could come as soon as Wednesday. Keep in mind that Cowlishaw is a columnist -- not a reporter -- but an end to the stalemate obviously makes the most sense for both sides. Aug. 22 - 4:53 pm et

Source: Tim Cowlishaw on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=178942

Could be nothing, but I am hard-pressed to find a reason why Cowlishaw would report something like this if there was not merit to it.

I hope Revis held Woody down and sodomized him. IMO, Woodhole and Tannenbaum looked like absolute clowns during this whole process with their incessant interviews and bellyaching. I'll be very interested to see the particulars of the deal to see how bad either side wilted.

As far as the Schefter and Vrentas reports, I'd imagine that's Tannenbaum furiously calling around to tell people nothing has been resolved. If it's ham-fisted and stupid-looking from a PR standpoint, it's Tannenbaum's doing.

Not me (in case no one noticed). tongue.gif

Every other major sport seems to have guaranteed contracts while the NFL seems to be going in the opposite direction on that front. Not only D'Brick's deal, but a few others we're reading about (who got the series of one year deals?) are really anti-player. These are world class athletes, too, who just happen to play in the nation's most popular sport - yet they have the worst labor deal of the bunch and the owners are working hard to make it worse. It would piss me off if I was a player.

Anti-player? C'mon, man. Brick is worth millions as a good left tackle. He is not worth millions as a guy who used to be a good left tackle before he got hurt. Why should anyone pay for future services not rendered? That should be paid for by an insurance policy. Once you're no longer performing, you should no longer get compensated as though you are. Guaranteed contracts are a free pass for players to never lift a finger ever again. They can't be fired (cut) in the sense that everyone else can; if someone with a guaranteed contract is fired, they get paid the same as if they weren't (in addition, they get paid the same without the added inconvenience of actually having to work ever again).

I don't believe for a minute that would be the norm. I think most of these guys would still play their hardest. But the number who wouldn't isn't at all insignificant.

Why should the other remaining players under contract, as well as a team's entire fan base, suffer because one top-paid player not only got hurt badly (removing his excellent play from the team) but also the inability of the team to sign any type of meaningful replacement due to salary cap constraints. Even if an expensive replacement is signed, that money still has to come out of another position. In short, the team loses TWICE for the same injury.

Guarantees against play are garbage. If you're not playing well anymore, you don't deserve to get paid. You should get fired just like anyone else.

Guarantees against injuries should be paid by insurance companies, not teams with a cap on the amount they are allowed to spend.

That schmuck Pats fan who wrote that moronic review of Hard Knocks that SoFla posted may turn out to be right and the third episode of Hard Knocks just might turn out to be the "Revis Returns" episode after all.

While I have no doubt that the holdout was legit from a financial standpoint... I have said all along that dragging it out and adding the theatrics of it have ALL been for the Hard Knocks show.

From these Twitter rumors that seem to surface occasionally, to Mikey T's "I feel like a failure" speech in the car on the drive home from the diner in episode 1.

While I have no doubt that the holdout was legit from a financial standpoint... I have said all along that dragging it out and adding the theatrics of it have ALL been for the Hard Knocks show.

From these Twitter rumors that seem to surface occasionally, to Mikey T's "I feel like a failure" speech in the car on the drive home from the diner in episode 1.

Not for nothin' but look who started this thread? If only Ham hadn't banned BJ, JI might be five minutes ahead of us instead of five minutes behind us.

Archived