Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

Correct. And if you'll notice, it's because the rushing statistics defensively heavily offset the fact that offenses picked them apart through the air over the course of 11 losses. Cleo Lemon lit them up for 3 bills. Cleo Lemon dude.

They were 2nd in Rushing and 20th in Passing, they didnt lose cause there D was not good enough it was the fact that they had zero offense I think they started 3 different QB's that year, it wasnt Rex's fault, and Cro and Wilson are better than anything they put on the field that year.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were 2nd in Rushing and 20th in Passing...

Last year we were 1st in rushing and 31st in passing. 20th in total offense and 17th in scoring. Care to guess who the difference maker is if we compare both teams?

they didnt lose cause there D was not good enough it was the fact that they had zero offense I think they started 3 different QB's that year

And Sanchez was as bad as all 3 of them last season.

it wasnt Rex's fault

Where on earth did I say it was? This is a DB reliant system. This isn't some outlandish claim I'm making. Rex has said it himself countless times and if you watched the Indy game I can't see how you can possibly argue otherwise.

If Revis were your son, what would your advice to him be? Would you advise him to play for that $1M? Your son Revis might remind you how his friend Leon Washington bet on himself, got injured, and lost big time. He was in line to make multi-millions, and not will never see that kind of money. Would you want your kid to take that kind of risk, or would you want him to get some security up front first?

I know how I'd be advising my kid.

In general, I'd agree with you. But honestly, I think the Leon thing was really unfortunate for both sides. Because, I may be in the minority, but I don't think the Jets were ever going to meet Leon's demands. I don't think he's the type of player Rex was looking for. Not a between the tackles runner and not a receiver.

Now, Leon's become the torch for every player who's scared of getting hurt.

Last year we were 1st in rushing and 31st in passing. 20th in total offense and 17th in scoring. Care to guess who the difference maker is if we compare both teams?

Where on earth did I say it was? This is a DB reliant system. This isn't some outlandish claim I'm making. Rex has said it himself countless times and if you watched the Indy game I can't see how you can possibly argue otherwise.

I was quoting there defensive rankings 2nd against the run and 20th against the pass not there offensive stats. And yes Sanchez will be better than anything they put on the field at QB that year. The Indy game was terrible but that was Dwight Lowery at CB 2, even without Revis he won't be put in that position. Trust me I agree that we need Revis to get where we want to go this year, but I still think with the rest of the talent on this team and Rex adjusting to his talent,they are a top 5 D.

I don't think there's a Jet fan out there who thinks we're as good without Revis and who doesn't want Revis on the field.

I'm also pretty certain that most people, including the Jets FO and staff, thinks Revis probably deserves a raise, although the Jets are certainly not obligated to give him one.

The question is "What's a reasonable raise" given the circumstances? We all have our opinions based on our limited knowledge of the situation.

Regardless of the defensive system we play and how good Revis is, I for one don't feel paying a CB $16M a year is a move conducive to helping keep the talent currently on this team together for next 5 or 6 years. I don't think ANY CB is worth throwing your team salary structure completely out of whack to the point where it prevents you from paying other valuable players going forward, especially with the uncertainty of a new CBA as a factor.

Revis is NOT a free agent. He is under contract which means he's not really in a position to demand to be the highest paid player in the league because this is not a "free market" situation for him.

I do think the guy deserves a raise based on his performance, but I also think that he's doing himself a big disservice by the way he's conducting himself. I think alot of this "Revis Island" stuff has gone to his head, and he is coming off as a selfish diva, especially considering the unprecedented optimism for his team, a franchise that hasn't won a championship in 41 years.

As a Jets fan of over 40 years, I for one, am pi$$ed at this player for jeapordizing what could be one of the most special seasons this franchise has had in ages.

Get into camp and be reasonable, Darrelle. If you do that and the Jets don't take care of you, then both my opinion and public opinion will swing the other way.

What a bitch. This sh*t pisses me off so bad, I cant even begin to tell you. I have no respect for people like him. He signed a contract, knowing damn well how much money he'd make this year. He's made plenty of money, he's going to make plenty more. Man up to your end of the deal and participate with your team. Darrelle has made himself bigger than the team and I hate bitches like that. No one man is bigger than the team.

I really wish I knew what was going on behind the scene's because I just cant believe the Jets havent just given him some money to shut him up, play this year and figure out what the future holds before they rework a contract.

Either way, I hope the Jets pay Mangold and Harris first.

**** Darrelle Revis who is now officially a diva.

Harris and Mangold before Revis,they are in camp.

That would be nice. Revis might be the best CB in the league, but we had him last year and we didn't win our division or the super bowl... With that said, I want him signed but I'm not really worrying about this bull sh*t. T will get it done.

The Jets need Revis more than he needs them. I know most of you dont want to believe that...but this team gets significantly worse without him shutting down one side of the field.

Please!

Without the Jets making a move, Revis makes squat over the next 4 years.

If the Jets let Revis rot for the next 4 years, they still make money hand over fist!

The Jets make money with or without Revis!

Revis makes zilch without the Jets signing or moving him.

Let him rot for the next 4 years, and will see who crumbles first.

The Jets will still be a top 10 most valuable team, Revis would have lost out on 4 years of his career and millions of millions of dollars.

I can't wait till Mark Sanchez becomes a franchise quarterback and wants to redo HIS contract. Maybe Revis will re-structure for us, no?

Yes, he should be paid, but are we breaking up the team for a one year run just to satisfy his demands? Does anyone know if THAT is a possibility?

No way does he get Asomugha money.

Side Note...McKnight passes running test

Revis holding out of camp, as of now By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Darrelle Revis truly is an island.

His team, the New York Jets, reported Sunday to begin what could be the most anticipated training camp in recent memory, but the All-Pro cornerback was on his own, apparently holding out because he's upset with his contract.

The Jets confirmed that Revis did not participate in the morning conditioning run at the team's facility in Florham Park, N.J. -- a strong indication that he will be a no-show. He will be considered an official holdout if he doesn't show for a 5:30 p.m. team meeting in Cortland.

Revis was so dominant last season that he created the moniker "Revis Island" -- a place where wide receivers get lost and never are heard from again. In fact, Revis purchased a copyright for "Revis Island."

Revis' decision came as no surprise, but it created a dark cloud over head coach Rex Ryan's second training camp, the subject of a reality TV show -- HBO's "Hard Knocks." The reality is, Revis is irked that the Jets, whom he believes promised him a contract extension, didn't make a last-ditch offer to appease him.

The two sides talked late Thursday night, ending weeks of silence, but there was no negotiating, sources said. The Jets were interested in seeing if Revis was planning to report to camp, and they were informed it was highly unlikely, a source said.

This has the makings of a long, ugly holdout. By league rule, Revis is subject to a $16,000-a-day fine. If he doesn't report by Aug. 10, the 2010 season won't count as an accrued season for him. He's due to make $1 million this season.

The bigger issue is this: By not showing, Revis essentially waived a future guarantee. His salaries in 2011 and 2012 -- $5 million and $15 million, respectively -- were to be guaranteed after the season, when the Jets planned to exercise a buy-back option. His no-show violates a clause in his current contract, meaning the $20 million becomes non-guaranteed.

That Revis has taken that risk indicates the depth of his frustration. Revis wants to become the league's highest-paid cornerback, topping the Oakland Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha ($16 million-per-year average). The Jets are believed to be offering around $12 million a year, but the contract includes no fully guaranteed money.

Because of the so-called reallocation rule, the Jets are prohibited from fully guaranteeing future base salaries against injury and skill. It can be one, but not both. However, the Jets can make up for that with substantial up-front money. Because it's an uncapped year, this would seem like the ideal time for that, but they don't want to make that kind of commitment because of the league's labor uncertainty.

Revis' absence taints the optimism surrounding the Jets, who made several bold moves in the offseason with the hope of winning a Super Bowl. Rex Ryan and Co. have talked openly about the Super Bowl, raising the expectation level to out-of-control proportions. But it will be tough to win without Revis, the best player on a defense that led the league in seven categories last season.

In other Jets news, rookie running back Joe McKnight, who failed his conditioning run last week, passed Sunday morning, clearing him to participate in training camp.

as a general note the trading for picks almost never works out. People remember Mike Ditka traded his whole draft for Ricky Williams. Does any1 remember any players the Redskins got in that draft? I'll save you all the google search: No one worth talking about.

Do you remember Mike Ditka traded his whole draft for Ricky Williams?

If so explain to me why the Redskins would have got anything?

I don't think there's a Jet fan out there who thinks we're as good without Revis and who doesn't want Revis on the field.

I'm also pretty certain that most people, including the Jets FO and staff, thinks Revis probably deserves a raise, although the Jets are certainly not obligated to give him one.

The question is "What's a reasonable raise" given the circumstances? We all have our opinions based on our limited knowledge of the situation.

Regardless of the defensive system we play and how good Revis is, I for one don't feel paying a CB $16M a year is a move conducive to helping keep the talent currently on this team together for next 5 or 6 years. I don't think ANY CB is worth throwing your team salary structure completely out of whack to the point where it prevents you from paying other valuable players going forward, especially with the uncertainty of a new CBA as a factor.

Revis is NOT a free agent. He is under contract which means he's not really in a position to demand to be the highest paid player in the league because this is not a "free market" situation for him.

I do think the guy deserves a raise based on his performance, but I also think that he's doing himself a big disservice by the way he's conducting himself. I think alot of this "Revis Island" stuff has gone to his head, and he is coming off as a selfish diva, especially considering the unprecedented optimism for his team, a franchise that hasn't won a championship in 41 years.

As a Jets fan of over 40 years, I for one, am pi$$ed at this player for jeapordizing what could be one of the most special seasons this franchise has had in ages.

Get into camp and be reasonable, Darrelle. If you do that and the Jets don't take care of you, then both my opinion and public opinion will swing the other way.

I think we are upset for a lot of the same reasons.

True but how do you explain the fact that the Jets had the #1 pass defense last year with outside of Revis the talents of Lito Sheppard, Donald Strickland, Lowery, Coleman etc. Pretty much all Jags. Revis cant cover the whole field. And now we've replaced Shep and Strick with Cro and Wilson.

I think Rex's blitzing makes CB's look better because he pressures QB's to make quick decisions.

I think we are upset for a lot of the same reasons.

Message to Darrelle Revis:

I happen to know someone deep inside the Raider Organization and he told me this was absolutely true: In Asomugha's contract there was a secret clause whereupon The Cryptkeeper tossed Nnamdi's salad three times a week.

Who do you want it to be? Tanny or Woody? And do you want that four times a week? Would that make you happy?

Or is that just TOO crazy?

I do think the guy deserves a raise based on his performance, but I also think that he's doing himself a big disservice by the way he's conducting himself.

How so?

If he gets hurt in camp -gets one of those season ending/career threatening injuries- he gets his $1M this year and the Jets have to decide whether or not to pick up his $20M guaranteed over the next two years. Think they'd do that?

He's smart to stay away until he has a new contract. I think he'd be doing himself a disservice if he risked his financial future by playing without a solid contract in place.

How so?

If he gets hurt in camp -gets one of those season ending/career threatening injuries- he gets his $1M this year and the Jets have to decide whether or not to pick up his $20M guaranteed over the next two years. Think they'd do that?

He's smart to stay away until he has a new contract. I think he'd be doing himself a disservice if he risked his financial future by playing without a solid contract in place.

You mean like the disservice he's doing the Jets right now, by signing a contract taking the upfront guaranteed money, and now holding out?

True but how do you explain the fact that the Jets had the #1 pass defense last year with outside of Revis the talents of Lito Sheppard, Donald Strickland, Lowery, Coleman etc. Pretty much all Jags. Revis cant cover the whole field. And now we've replaced Shep and Strick with Cro and Wilson.

I think Rex's blitzing makes CB's look better because he pressures QB's to make quick decisions.

Rex can't blitz nearly as much if he needs two players to cover the likes of Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, Lee Evans, etc., etc.

And as much as I'm looking forward to seeing Cromartie bounce back this year, we really don't know if he's any better than Lito or Strickland at this point.

You mean like the disservice he's doing the Jets right now, by signing a contract taking the upfront guaranteed money, and now holding out?

The team wouldn't hesitate to cut him if he wasn't playing up to his deal. That argument means nothing to me at all, and shouldn't mean anything to anyone who plays in the NFL.

How so?

Rex can't blitz nearly as much if he needs two players to cover the likes of Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, Lee Evans, etc., etc.

And as much as I'm looking forward to seeing Cromartie bounce back this year, we really don't know if he's any better than Lito or Strickland at this point.

Dude you are out of control with this now. He's being a bitch and you know it. And Rex isnt going to stop blitzing because he doesnt have Revis.

How so?

I think I've explained my position through my various posts in this thread. Not sure how more can be said. He signed a contract. He is leagally bound by the agreement he signed. Every day is doesn't provide the service he's contracted to, he is liable through fines and lost wages. Can't get much simpler than that.

Obviously, you disagree, which is your perogative.

I'm willing to bet there are as many people who feel the way I do as there are people who feel the way you do, maybe more, so we'll agree to disagree.

The team wouldn't hesitate to cut him if he wasn't playing up to his deal. That argument means nothing to me at all, and shouldn't mean anything to anyone who plays in the NFL.

He got paid what he did based on him honoring his contract, which he is not.

If the Jets cut him because he could not honor his contract, then he'd still have what he earned.

And that requires an IF, right now only the Jets are getting screwed.

If they decide to let him rot the next 4 years, I hope it was worth it!

I think I've explained my position through my various posts in this thread. Not sure how more can be said. He signed a contract. He is leagally bound by the agreement he signed. Every day is doesn't provide the service he's contracted to, he is liable through fines and lost wages. Can't get much simpler than that.

I certainly agree that that's the situation.

I just feel that the player is fully within his rights to hold out (and pay his fines, etc.), and that in this case Revis has a very good case for getting paid. I expect it to work out well for him.

If they decide to let him rot the next 4 years, I hope it was worth it!

Haha! I'm guessing you're one helluva grudge holder, but there's no way they let Revis rot! laugh.gif

How so?

Maybe Revis should have chose another profession then... Every player out there on the field risks the chance of a season or career ending injury...This has always been the case... not just after what happened to Leon last year... He needs to man up and honor the contract that he signed... These guys are unbelievable!! Have you ever seen a player negotiate to give money back after a poor season?

Haha! I'm guessing you're one helluva grudge holder, but there's no way they let Revis rot! laugh.gif

Not really, and I agree they most likely won't let him rot.

But it's not like there is a chance he only loses out if he plays/trains and gets hurt.

He very well can lose out if the Jets chose to screw him.

There is risk either way.

I want him to get a fair deal, but he should be in camp.

Harris and Mangold have risks and they are where they belong, they should get their deals first, IMHO.

Maybe Revis should have chose another profession then... Every player out there on the field risks the chance of a season or career ending injury...This has always been the case... not just after what happened to Leon last year... He needs to man up and honor the contract that he signed... These guys are unbelievable!! Have you ever seen a player negotiate to give money back after a poor season?

We'll see how it turns out, then you can tell me if it was a bad idea for him to hold out.

We'll see how it turns out, then you can tell me if it was a bad idea for him to hold out.

Fair enough... It just sets a bad example going forward... He signed the contract and should play it out... If the Jets choose to tear that contract up and give him a long term deal then good for him..If not then he needs to quit complaining and get to camp with the rest of his TEAMMATES.

At the risk of receiving a permanent JN ban, I feel compelled to finally say something that I would guess more than a few of us are probably feeling, Slats...

You, sir, are an ass.

I have nothing further. Thank you.

Revis is doing the smart thing for himself, his family, and his future. I cannot understand how anyone can fault the man. The Jets should do the smart thing for the franchise and pay him.

Lets see how smart he is if he isn’t in camp by Aug 10, and loses this year of elegibility, and makes 0 money for the next 2 years (possible/probable lock out) and loses 2 prime years of earning.

He’s smarter then that, He’ll be here by Aug 10.

Jets should move on to 2 players that want to be Jets. Mangold and Harris. Let Revis stew

Lets see how smart he is if he isn’t in camp by Aug 10, and loses this year of elegibility, and makes 0 money for the next 2 years (possible/probable lock out) and loses 2 prime years of earning.

You say that a lot, but I don't think there's going to be a lockout next year. Certainly not an extensive one. Too much money to be made.

Worst case for Revis is that he sits the entire 2010 season, and the Jets trade him before next year's draft to a team willing to pay him.

But the impact of him sitting out the entire year is so devastating for the Jets that I can't imagine they'll let it go that far.

Has anybody noticed how quiet Rex has been about Revis lately? I mean why isnt he telling Tannenbaum and Woody how great he is? LMAO I think the front office finally told him to shut his big mouth.

It's official: Jets CB Darrelle Revis is holding out. Revis will not show up today, no one knows when he will again. Hard Knocks rolls on.

And the Jets have succeeded in pissing off the best player they've ever had. Only the Jets...

And the Jets have succeeded in pissing off the best player they've ever had. Only the Jets...

Here is the contradiction. you're the employer. you have an employee that has 3 years remaining on his contract. your management team and his direct supervisor keep telling him hes the greatest defensive player in the history of football. wouldnt you expect him to extend his hand and ask for more money? I would.

i always thought that strickland was an above average player.far from a jag.his problem was that he couldnt stay on the field for 16 games(or 18,last year)way better than lowery(which i dont hink is a bad player,just a step too slow),coleman,and sheppard.i dont think the afc champ game would have had the same outcome had strickland not gotten injured,again

Archived