Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

What value does Revis have to the Jets if he's not playing? He's made it clear he's not going to play under this current contract. If the Jets dont plan on paying him then they'd be insane to not trade him ASAP.

If Revis doesn't play guess what? HE DOESN'T GET ANY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

So guess what? The Jets get to control Revis' rights without having to pay him a dime.

Trading him is actually insane. I really can't fathom why people don't get that.

The Jets get nothing out of trading Revis now.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trading him for picks would actually be the stupid thing to do.

The Jets would actually be paying for for less talent if they trade him.

In other words, the Jets get ZERO 2010 value in trading Revis since they won't get anything to help them now. Then the picks will be paid close to what Revis would have made for the Jets but there is no guarantee any of those players would be an All-Pro caliber player.

Getting picks for a guy that has zero intention of playing is stupid?

Then he'll be traded to a team that will pay him. I dont think it fazes Revis having to sit this season out, knowing next year the Jets trade him to a team that will give him #1 corner money, which he deserves.

He's making a smart decision for his career. The guy is one of the best players in the league and he's protecting himself. The league is taking the Washington situation as it could have easily happened to them. I dont see how people can blame a guy for that.

i would bet my left nut that the jets did offer revis top cb money by a coupla million.revis want crazy al money.not one team in the league(not even crazy al,read my ealier post)would pay revis what he wants,if the reports are true.so to hold out an entire year with the hopes the jets trade you to a team that will not pay you your demands,seems like a pipe dream.revis is doing the right thing now.threaten and hold out till the 9th.thats all he's got.after that,its donhill for revis.i am all for getting revis a reasonable new contract,but not at the expense of cripling the team for the next 5 years

So guess what? The Jets get to control Revis' rights without having to pay him a dime.

Trading him is actually insane. I really can't fathom why people don't get that.

I don't get you not getting it! laugh.gif

If Revis holds out the entire year, you can bet that the Jets will trade him before next year's draft. They'll trade him before his value drops too far.

For Revis, it's a smart play. All it costs him is one low year's salary, and the fines. It gains him millions.

Jets should pay him before it comes to that, though.

He doesnt get paid this year....do you think Revis gives a sh*t about not getting whatever he was due to make this year? He'd be an idiot to play for that amout of money this season and risk getting injured and ruining his career and future.

Revis is willing to sit out, not make the small amount of money he was due this season, and get his monster deal next year and be set for life. There really wasnt anyway this wasnt going to happen unless the Jets stepped up and gave him the big deal with guaranteed money.

Getting picks for a guy that has zero intention of playing is stupid?

Yes, because the Jets will not be paying him anything if he holds out.

It's 100% cheaper to keep Revis than trade him.

He doesnt get paid this year....do you think Revis gives a sh*t about not getting whatever he was due to make this year? He'd be an idiot to play for that amout of money this season and risk getting injured and ruining his career and future.

Revis is willing to sit out, not make the small amount of money he was due this season, and get his monster deal next year and be set for life.

What happens August 10th if Revis is still holding out then?

I don't get you not getting it! laugh.gif

If Revis holds out the entire year, you can bet that the Jets will trade him before next year's draft. They'll trade him before his value drops too far.

For Revis, it's a smart play. All it costs him is one low year's salary, and the fines. It gains him millions.

Jets should pay him before it comes to that, though.

And then NOBODY will pay him anything close to what he wants because he will have rightfully earned the reputation of assheaded malcontent who puts himself ahead of the team.

Revis will be on that practice field within the next 72 hours. Mark it down.

What happens August 10th if Revis is still holding out then?

I'd imagined he gets fined? Im sure Revis has all his basis covered with what he's doing.

If it blows up in his face...then oh well. But if he went out and played this season under his current deal- blows out his knee and ruins his career...what would we be saying then?

Do you remember Mike Ditka traded his whole draft for Ricky Williams?

If so explain to me why the Redskins would have got anything?

in 1999 Mike Ditka was head coach of the saints. He traded his entire draft, and a 1 and 3 in the next draft for Ricky Williams.

I believe the team he traded with was Washington. Could be wrong, too lazy to look it up.

Regardless the deal was considered a horrible one by Ditka at the time but the other team never drafted anyone worth talking about with those picks.

that's why Im saying "pay Revis' You don't get a change to pay possible HOF players 24 year olds very often. Believe it or not it's a privilege to lock this player up for years. The Browns drafted Joe Haden in the top 10, the dude can't run. They aren't finding another Revis.

Fact of the matter I think the Jets would pay Revis if they could, whether it's just the budget Woody put on them or legit cash flow issues there's no rational football reason to lose a player that good in the prime of his career to a hold out.

And then NOBODY will pay him anything close to what he wants because he will have rightfully earned the reputation of assheaded malcontent who puts himself ahead of the team.

Fans take that whole malcontent, locker room cancer thing more serious than some teams. A team will give Revis the money he wants.

Not after sitting out a year.

Maybe slightly less...but if I were to guess, Revis' main concern is playing this season making very little and risk getting hurt knowing what happened to Leon.

The guy had one of the best seasons of all time and wants a new contract, guaranteeing he'll be secure.

Playing this season making 3rd string QB money would be an insane risk for him.

Revis is willing to sit out, not make the small amount of money he was due this season, and get his monster deal next year and be set for life. There really wasnt anyway this wasnt going to happen unless the Jets stepped up and gave him the big deal with guaranteed money.

number one,the jets would be awfully nice to trade revis to anybody if he held out an entire year.my thoughts would leave me to beleive it wouldnt be that easy.lets says the jets did bite.what team in their right mind would give up serious draft picks to have the privelidge to pay %150 of current market value and have to deal with another holdout 2 or 3 years later.dont see that working out for revis

We'll see how it turns out, then you can tell me if it was a bad idea for him to hold out.

That's just absurd. Even if he gets what he wants, the ends do not always justify the means.

The fact is that he was going to get a new deal one way or another, this has been obvious from the beginning. Trying to pretend this holdout will have anything to do with it once he does is just silly. The only things it may have accomplished are that he might get it a little sooner, but traded off for that fact that the Jets negotiations going forward are likely going to greatly revolve around a complete lack of trust in Revis honoring any future contracts. As far as I'm concerned, the only way anyone can argue that he's justified is if he gets exactly what he has said he wants, which is big, fully guaranteed money, and a contract of over $16 million per year. And frankly, I hope to God the Jets aren't stupid enough to give that to him.

That's just absurd. Even if he gets what he wants, the ends do not always justify the means.

The fact is that he was going to get a new deal one way or another, this has been obvious from the beginning. Trying to pretend this holdout will have anything to do with it once he does is just silly. The only things it may have accomplished are that he might get it a little sooner, but traded off for that fact that the Jets negotiations going forward are likely going to greatly revolve around a complete lack of trust in Revis honoring any future contracts. As far as I'm concerned, the only way anyone can argue that he's justified is if he gets exactly what he has said he wants, which is big, fully guaranteed money, and a contract of over $16 million per year. And frankly, I hope to God the Jets aren't stupid enough to give that to him.

Is this coming out of your pocket or something?

Maybe slightly less...but if I were to guess, Revis' main concern is playing this season making very little and risk getting hurt knowing what happened to Leon.

The guy had one of the best seasons of all time and wants a new contract, guaranteeing he'll be secure.

Playing this season making 3rd string QB money would be an insane risk for him.

And he is on the record as saying he would have played for that money had the Jets not come to him looking to renegotiate.

The Jets miscalculated because they clearly thought a new CBA would be in place by now. But at this point Revis has to make some kind of concession due to the fact that the Jets literally cannot give him what he wants. Failure to realize that could turn out to be catastrophic for both sides.

I'd just rather not see the team spend years being completely restricted in their ability to improve their team because they bowed down and gave in to the ridiculous demands of one greedy player.

Ridiculous demands of the best player this organization has had since Namath

THIS!!!this entire conversation will be for not.it might take longer than 72 hours,but revis will be in camp whether it be a bandaid contract or extention.maybe the jets meet him in the middle with some kinda guaranteed cash,but revis aint going nowhere

Everyone's hung up on this highest paid CB stuff, but so far all that is is a negotiating stance. I've posted numbers in this thread lower than Asomugha's deal that I think would be fair for Revis to accept. There's a middle ground between winning and being the highest paid CB. One that involves winning and still collecting a lot of money.

I think Revis is serious about making more than Aso. This debate isn't about how much you think he should accept, its about what Revis thinks. Most Jet fans take Revis at his word and think he really wants to make more than Aso. We'll see whose right.

I'd imagined he gets fined? Im sure Revis has all his basis covered with what he's doing.

If it blows up in his face...then oh well. But if he went out and played this season under his current deal- blows out his knee and ruins his career...what would we be saying then?

It's obvious that you don't know that answer or your argument would be different.

If Revis holds out past August 10th he FORFEITS an entire year of FA eligibility. That rule only applies to players under contract. They have to report 30 days before the first game of the season.

The result is that while the Jets have Revis under contract for the next 3 yrs (2010-2012/13). If he holds out past August 10th the Jets get an extra year to control him so that he won't become an UFA until 2014.

Ridiculous demands of the best player this organization has had since Namath

i remember joe montanta extending his contract with the niners with the owner over a coupla coctails.probably the best player the niners ever had.no rediculous demands from either side.the entire deal probably lasted 2 hours.hof qb we are talking about.revis wants 6m more per year than the next guy.that is rediculous.

i remember joe montanta extending his contract with the niners with the owner over a coupla coctails.probably the best player the niners ever had.no rediculous demands from either side.the entire deal probably lasted 2 hours.hof qb we are talking about.revis wants 6m more per year than the next guy.that is rediculous.

And Montana got killed by Leonard Marshall and is now selling Sketchers. Montana is the last guy you'd want to use in an agrument with money.

http://deadspin.com/152993/joe-montana-needs-the-cash-money

And Montana got killed by Leonard Marshall and is now selling Sketchers. Montana is the last guy you'd want to use in an agrument with money.

http://deadspin.com/152993/joe-montana-needs-the-cash-money

point is that an extention could be easy.when the top paid cb makes 10m per and revis wants 16m per,the jets are offering 12m per,THERE'S A PROBLEM.especially with 3 years left on his contract

He hasnt reported and it looks like he wont. Its time for Tanne to start shopping him. Lets entertain offers and see what a team is willing to give up.

:face:

He has 3 yrs left on his deal and people are talking about trading him.

It boggles the freakin' mind.

That's quite the statement based on one year, considering Revis wasn't even the best player on this current Jets team his first two years.

Well, his first season he was a rookie...and year #2 it was pretty clear the kid was special. He'd be doing what he does on any other team in the league. Where do you think the whole Revis Island thing came from? He shuts down players by himself in one on one coverage. That skill there isnt replaceable..no matter how often Rex wants to blitz.

How is he ****ed? If the Jets dont plan on paying him then they'd be stupid not to trade him and get some picks.

Why, because Revis is going to hold out three years in a row? With how many years the Jets have left on Revis' deal, they have nothing to worry about. They know he'll have to come back sooner or later, or risk throwing away his entire NFL career. No team would give him an 1/8th of what he's looking for after being out of the league for (at least) 3 years. Revis isn't dumb, he knows all he's got going on right now is an act to try to get his way, but if the Jets truly do call his bluff, he has to come back or he'll have to start looking for a new career.

Archived