Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

if 75% of the male population in the country had the chance, they'd trade spots with them in a heart beat.

most of the male population can't take a piss next to another dude. I can't swing a golf club straight with 3 guys looking at me.

These athletes perform outstanding feats in front of these huge crowds and millions at home... It's not just the physical skill... its the mental tough ness and if everyone could do it they would. IF revises were easy to find this wouldn't even be an issue. He'd be cut already.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wilson to take over the island.

wilson.jpg

i gotta give it up for this reference. Cast away was unwatchably bad for several hours.

Tom Hanks talks to a volleyball. Helen hunt is an absolute c-bag. The ending sucked.

And you and I both watched it. What does that say about us?

Pretty much. I'm not on either side, I just hate Mevi$ for doing this to us in our best chance at a SB run since 98/99. I dont blame him for wanting money, I understand this is business, but IMO he is putting himself above the team and really blowing something that could be legendary.

Remind me to use my negative rep on Bit tomorrow. I already used it today on you. :P

You are the sperm of Satan!!! I will negative rep Bit for you. And I totally agree with you. Seriously of all the years to pull this sh*t.

I think if people could live just a day in the life of any pro athlete their entire outlook would change.

yeah, it must suck.

you have an agent to be the bad guy for you, a team doctor to treat you, a team trainer to tape you up and ice you down, a position coach to teach you, women dying to meet you, financial planners to grow your money and accountants to shelter it from taxes, heck the jets even have a player development guy to teach you not to stick your dick in the wrong place, personal shoppers to pick out your clothes for the vacations in the keys and the weddings in vegas

and they have to deal with pain

where do I sign up ?

most of the male population can't take a piss next to another dude. I can't swing a golf club straight with 3 guys looking at me.

These athletes perform outstanding feats in front of these huge crowds and millions at home... It's not just the physical skill... its the mental tough ness and if everyone could do it they would. IF revises were easy to find this wouldn't even be an issue. He'd be cut already.

Who's arguing that? Doesnt change the fact that they are the envy of most, hence the popularity of the sport. 75% of men in America would change spots in an instant. I'm not saying they have the talent, I'm saying they'd trade for the talent or the opportunity to play in the league and live the life style.

People experience pain in a lot of jobs for a lot of different reasons and dont make millions for it and its not a game and dont work half the year and probably has a much more significant impact on society.

So spare me this bullsh*t. Seriously. Its absolutely the most ridiculous of all the ridiculousness you've ever posted, and thats saying something. ;)

yeah, it must suck.

you have an agent to be the bad guy for you, a team doctor to treat you, a team trainer to tape you up and ice you down, a position coach to teach you, women dying to meet you, financial planners to grow your money and accountants to shelter it from taxes, heck the jets even have a player development guy to teach you not to stick your dick in the wrong place, personal shoppers to pick out your clothes for the vacations in the keys and the weddings in vegas

and they have to deal with pain

where do I sign up ?

dude you clearly don't understand the suffering that is involved in trying to figure out how to spend a $16,000 dollar daily salary. In a lot of stores I've been to, they look at me funny just cause I dropped ONE grand in one place. Imagine having to spend of all that cash!!!

Seriously, something is wrong with sports today when within less than a 12 month span I am now rooting for Jason Taylor and hate Darrelle Revis with a passion lol.

I'll never get there.

Hopefully this blows over soon, Revis signs for a gazillion dollars and retires a Jet.

In a year or two, JT is going to sign a one day deal to retire a fish. That's where his heart is, even today. F him forever.*

*I reserve the right to cheer for him if he does something good. smile.gif

i gotta give it up for this reference. Cast away was unwatchably bad for several hours.

Tom Hanks talks to a volleyball. Helen hunt is an absolute c-bag. The ending sucked.

And you and I both watched it. What does that say about us?

It says I was clever enough to post a picture, and you... Well you came up with this.

I'll be honest, in my heart of hearts this is really how I feel too but I'm trying to supress these types of thoughts. Makes it hard to be a fan of anything imo. It really is depressing if you want to get right down to it. I agreed he should get a better contract but to do what he's doing is just wrong imo. and yeah I get it it's a business, This is sports today so deal with it blah blah, well I am and I do get it. It still feels ugly and wrong and it's still beyond frustrating as a fan. Of aaaall the ******* years to do this...

I agree. We all know the guy deserves a new contract. Tanny went to him, it wasn't the other way around. We're trying to give him a contract that's fair for both parties and all he's thinking about is himself. I'm only 20 years old so I haven't been sufferring like some of you older fans, but I know for a fact that this is one of the best chances the Jets have had in a long time. We don't need distractions, especially from our BEST player. He should be a leader for the team and the league.

This guy was actually my favorite player at a point.

I'll be honest, in my heart of hearts this is really how I feel too but I'm trying to supress these types of thoughts. Makes it hard to be a fan of anything imo. It really is depressing if you want to get right down to it. I agreed he should get a better contract but to do what he's doing is just wrong imo. and yeah I get it it's a business, This is sports today so deal with it blah blah, well I am and I do get it. It still feels ugly and wrong and it's still beyond frustrating as a fan. Of aaaall the ******* years to do this...

Too bad the NFL/Roger Goodell does not intervene with situations like this citing conduct detrimental to the league.

I know on the surface it sounds a little silly but you always hear Goodell talking about worrying about what the fans want and wanting the NFL to put the best possible product on the field etc. Well this Revis thing clearly is not good for the league's image and the image of NFL players in the eyes of the general public.

I would propose that the NFL come up with some kind of rule that if your holdout/contract dispute exceeds 30 days it will be taken in front of some kind of arbitration committee which is governed by the NFL's league office. Of course you would have hell trying to get the player's association to ever adopt this, but, I don't know.

Just seems to me like the NFL should have the power to intervene at some point.

Too bad the NFL/Roger Goodell does not intervene with situations like this citing conduct detrimental to the league.

I know on the surface it sounds a little silly but you always hear Goodell talking about worrying about what the fans want and wanting the NFL to put the best possible product on the field etc. Well this Revis thing clearly is not good for the league's image and the image of NFL players in the eyes of the general public.

I would propose that the NFL come up with some kind of rule that if your holdout/contract dispute exceeds 30 days it will be taken in front of some kind of arbitration committee which is governed by the NFL's league office. Of course you would have hell trying to get the player's association to ever adopt this, but, I don't know.

They're called "fines," and they've been assessed each of the last 24 days.

They found hall of famer Mike Webster on the floor of NY Penn station mens room. Literally. He was 50.

http://host.madison....1cc4c002e0.html

Are you saying that every player is killing himself by playing football because Mike Webster had brain damage? You're citations of danger and injury risks as justifications for paying Revis 20x more than the league minimum, which is already 20x more than the average person makes, is insulting to the millions of people who truly risk their lives daily. So should we pay those like GOB $12,000,000 per year? Because he's risking death daily a hell of a lot more than a CB for the Jets. How about other sports professionals like jockeys? Boxers? Hell, there are 50x more deaths per year fishing than playing football.

You make it sound as though no profession works hard or has risks like a professional football player. Revis has already been paid over $10,000,000. His lifelong risk of brain injury has already been paid in full. These guys get paid a lot because they are in the entertainment industry and at this time this part of the entertainment industry pays more than most. It's not because he risks his life more than most. There are plenty more dangerous sports - not to mention how many more dangerous professions in general - than playing CB.

It is not a valid reason to pay anywhere near the kind of money he's been demanding.

There are too many labor issues to have Goodell become personally involved in what is a team matter.

But even if he was to become involved, what could he do? His two methods for dealing with players who misbehave is to fine them and/or suspended them. Mevi$ is already being fined. Not sure what a four game suspension would do if the goal is to get him back on the field.

Niether the team nor Goodell can force Mevi$ to play. That has been true since 1865, when then 13th amendment of the constitution prohibited slavery. The only thing Goodell can do under the constitution is tell Mevi$ that his choices are either play for the Jets or not play in the NFL but he is banned from playing for any of the other 31 NFL team without the Jets express permission. That has already been done.

Arbitration in this case would rule that Mevi$ still has 3 years left on his contract. Once again an arbitrator could not force Mevi$ on to the field, only rule that he is banned from playing football for any team other than the Jets.

Are you saying that every player is killing himself by playing football because Mike Webster had brain damage? You're citations of danger and injury risks as justifications for paying Revis 20x more than the league minimum, which is already 20x more than the average person makes, is insulting to the millions of people who truly risk their lives daily. So should we pay those like GOB $12,000,000 per year? Because he's risking death daily a hell of a lot more than a CB for the Jets. How about other sports professionals like jockeys? Boxers? Hell, there are 50x more deaths per year fishing than playing football.

You make it sound as though no profession works hard or has risks like a professional football player. Revis has already been paid over $10,000,000. His lifelong risk of brain injury has already been paid in full. These guys get paid a lot because they are in the entertainment industry and at this time this part of the entertainment industry pays more than most. It's not because he risks his life more than most. There are plenty more dangerous sports - not to mention how many more dangerous professions in general - than playing CB.

It is not a valid reason to pay anywhere near the kind of money he's been demanding.

But, if you have a lot of money, then being dead is ok.

They're called "fines," and they've been assessed each of the last 24 days.

Something with more lasting repercussions than fines DBates.

You have 30 days to holdout and get your contract situation addressed. If the player and the team don't come to a resolution after 30 days, you go infront of a league arbtitration committee. The arbitration committee listens to both sides of the dispute and comes up with a fair deal based on current market value of the position and gives you a date to report to your team.

You don't report by that date and you are banned from playing in the league for the full season. Period, end of discussion.

I know that is not realistic solution because both the players association and the NFL owners would never agree to it. It just seems like the players should be held more accountable to the teams they are signed with when they are under contract.

Arbitration in this case would rule that Mevi$ still has 3 years left on his contract. Once again an arbitrator could not force Mevi$ on to the field, only rule that he is banned from playing football for any team other than the Jets.

And that by itslef would be enough for Mevis to wake up and smell the coffee.

It sure wouldn't hurt anyway.

Understand that I am not at all serious here but when you see situations like this it makes you think outside the box a little bit.

I mean think about it for a minute, when in NFL history has a situation specifically like this one happened before??

You have a player (regardless of position) who held out 21 days to sign his rookie deal, 3 years into that 6 year rookie deal he is holding out again for even more money after rebuffing what 2 or 3 contract extensions already?

Again, when in NFL history has a situation like this happened before??

A player in the NFL who has 3 years tenure in the league and has held/is holding out twice in a 3 year period??

I might be wrong, but I don't think this has ever happened before in the entire history of the NFL!!

It just seems like the players should be held more accountable to the teams they are signed with when they are under contract.

You have to keep in mind what 'under contract' actually means. As a practical matter, NFL contracts have two components: the exclusive rights part and the fee-for-services part. In the exclusive rights component, the team gives the player a certain amount of guaranteed money in the form of a signing bonus or otherwise in exchange for the player's rights for the duration of the contract, which rights they can either exercise by paying him to play or dispose of as they see fit. The fee-for-services part is obviously salary in exchange for playing, but because of the way NFL contracts work -- teams can cut, players can hold out -- this portion is effectively a separate at-will agreement. Leaving aside the fact that the league office has an obvious conflict of interest, it can no more arbitrate salary disputes like this in the manner you suggest than it can tell teams that they can't cut players.

And that by itslef would be enough for Mevis to wake up and smell the coffee.

Why? We don't need an arbitrator's ruling for that. Revis and everybody else are already well-aware that he can't shop his services around while the Jets have his rights.

You have to keep in mind what 'under contract' actually means. As a practical matter, NFL contracts have two components: the exclusive rights part and the fee-for-services part. In the exclusive rights component, the team gives the player a certain amount of guaranteed money in the form of a signing bonus or otherwise in exchange for the player's rights for the duration of the contract, which rights they can either exercise by paying him to play or dispose of as they see fit. The fee-for-services part is obviously salary in exchange for playing, but because of the way NFL contracts work -- teams can cut, players can hold out -- this portion is effectively a separate at-will agreement. Leaving aside the fact that the league office has an obvious conflict of interest, it can no more arbitrate salary disputes like this in the manner you suggest than it can tell teams that they can't cut players.

I know you're right Aten, like I said, I wasn't at all serious, just thinking out loud - out of frustration more so then anything else.

Why? We don't need an arbitrator's ruling for that. Revis and everybody else are already well-aware that he can't shop his services around while the Jets have his rights.

He can still try and force trade (by holding out) in hopes of a big contract from another team like has fat uncle Sean did.

If that possibility was nullified do you think he would still be holding out?

Maybe, maybe not but I'm not so sure.

somehow Jets fans have been convinced that signing the teams best player would actually be detrimental to the team in the long term.

that's some PR dept they got going at Florham Park.

For their next trick maybe they can convince us that the sky is green instead of blue.

but just how looking up will resolve the issue of sky color

week 1 without Revis should resolve what he means for this team.

somehow Jets fans have been convinced that signing the teams best player would actually be detrimental to the team in the long term.

For their next trick maybe they can convince us that the sky is green instead of blue.

Do you understand that not everything is as black and white as you try to make it all out to be? There are shades of gray and this certainly applies. Nobody has the stance that Revis sucks and is useless and the Jets are no better off without him. The stance of those who have a problem with him is simple: yes, he does deserve to be paid more, but he doesn't deserve anywhere near the amount of money he is demanding and he is being unreasonable and selfish about this entire process and proving himself to be anything but a team player. Combine that with the fact that he still has 3 years left remaining on a deal he held out for and already made a whole lot of money on (much more than he should have given his draft slot), his actions are quite clearly nothing more than excessive greed. So do most fans think it would be great for him to be back with the team? Of course, but that doesn't mean it's reasonable for him to be back on the team on his terms.

I don't recall the team saying anything remotely like that. As soon as Revis and his agents said how much he wanted - directly, not through the team - people were rightly shaking their heads at it. I don't need Mike Tannenbaum saying anything to tell me that $16.2M per season is too much for a cornerback.

I would say you've bought into the nonsense more than anyone. The biggest being that if Al Davis overpays someone who otherwise would never play for him then that becomes the going rate for a top-2 CB.

If I went to McDonald's and paid $60 for a Happy Meal, that doesn't mean anyone wanting a Happy Meal as good or better must pay $61. Only a fool pays $60 in the first place.

The Jets have locked up Brick long term and Mangold long term.

Revis has a 10yr 120 million dollar deal on the table that he has balked at.

Your statement does not hold water.

Archived