Blood, Sweat, and Chalk

Ranger

New book came out yesterday if anyone is interested.

Sports Illustrated senior writer Tim Layden's book, "Blood, Sweat and Chalk; The Ultimate Football Playbook; How the Great Coaches Built Today's Game,'' examines the roots of many of football's most iconic offensive and defensive systems. What follows here is a chapter on the Ryan Family, including Buddy and his "46" defense and son Rex and his groundbreaking pressure system. Blood Sweat and Chalk is available in bookstores on Aug. 3

here is a sample of the book on SI: Inside the Ryan family 46 defense

(Plank would later explain his style: "I had to play a certain way," he said in a 2009 interview. "And once I started playing that way, I developed a reputation for playing that way, and I had to protect that reputation." He admitted to often experiencing foggy memory now.)

For starters Rex installed the Ryan family attitude, which, at its core, meant the intimidation of opponents, achieved primarily by hitting and hitting hard, right up to the edge of what the rules allow (and sometimes beyond). "It starts with a common mind-set," says Plank. "And without that mind-set, the playbook the Ryan family has used for 30 years is irrelevant."

Doug Plank knows why Kerry Rhodes is gone and I know why Doug Plank is gone.

Archived