I don't like the new board.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please elaborate with commentary instead of blanket I do not like the board.

Max had no choice but to move to another platform by the way.

Any reason? I thought the old platform was fine.

There's too much going on here. I defiitely prefer the old one...it feels like a completley different website. But if he had to, its understandable.

There's too much going on here. I defiitely prefer the old one...it feels like a completley different website. But if he had to, its understandable.

I will let Max explain but he had to migrate to another platform yes.

Please elaborate with commentary instead of blanket I do not like the board.

Max had no choice but to move to another platform by the way.

I like the look of the new board but I'm still experiencing alot of problems with IE compatibility. Avatars not showing up, certain links, etc...

And I really don't want to switch my browser.

I still cant see any users Avatar or post count or anything in there user name box except there user name, I must be doing something wrong.

You must be on Internet Explorer 6 or 7. I'm 100% certain that Max has the rendering bugs in those IE versions on his to-do list. As of now, I would recommend switching browsers to Google Chrome, but that might not be an option at work.

Since I speak for everyone I also agree. On the front page you could highlight a topic see the first few words of a topic and see if it was a joke or worthwhile.

Max is looking into that (or he has at least posted as much...:P).

As for the second comment, can you elaborate? Is it the threads display? He plans on bolding the thread titles I think.

New board is awesome, just wish sig pics could be bigger, or option of bigger pic with no lines or url etc. Being able to see someone responded to your post is killer!! Good work , MAX.

Thanks, I love the reply notification as well.

We can definitely increase the signature pics. I will take a look at that. I am going to be doing a lot of additional updates tonight...

Max is looking into that (or he has at least posted as much...:P).

As for the second comment, can you elaborate? Is it the threads display? He plans on bolding the thread titles I think.

Yeah I think bolding would help. When I first looked at it the words kid of run together. Especially if you look at it fast

We are doing a few things to try and streamline the look and feel. It is busy and a lot of it is a learning curve. Speaking for myself and how I use the software, getting used to the new board was more of a curve than I hoped it would be. But I am getting used to it and starting to really enjoy some of the new features.

As far why we switched, technically we didn't have to. We could have stayed on vBulletin but looking at them, since they sold the company a few things happened that concern me. Their new version (4) completely missed the mark. Their forum is filled with people saying how slow it is. And there are bug fixes every single build, two and three of them. That concerns me a lot. They recently had an exploit that allowed peoples email addresses and profile info to be stolen. Just bad, bad signs from vb. Add in that all of their top programmers seem to be leaving and I just was not happy with them.

I like where IPB is headed and think they were the best option for us. One of the behind the scenes things that I love is that we have a performance option here now. On vb even when we got the second dedicated server during the playoffs, gamedays were always interesting. IPB allows you to throttle things back so that having more people here on Sunday is less of an issue.

Small things like they host the chat room so it doesn't impact our bandwidth is a nice feature. The notifications when someone replies to your post was huge. Less bugs in the software is nice from an administrative end.

There are more reasons why but I have probably bored everyone enough. Like we have said before if there are things you don't like please just list them in the feedback forum. It is taking longer than I hoped but we do look into every one of them.

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh and the other huge factor was the mobile skin that is built in along with the iPhone app and the droid\blackberry functionality that we will be rolling out soon. So many users are mobile now and vbulletin offered nothing. Other boards rolled out taptalk which required you (the users) to pay for it. We refuse to do something like that just out of principal.

I like the look of the new board but I'm still experiencing alot of problems with IE compatibility. Avatars not showing up, certain links, etc...

And I really don't want to switch my browser.

You shouldn't have to switch browsers. I will make that a priority for tonight, looking into IE7 issues...

Thanks.

From a web developer point of view, people should be forced to switch out of IE 6 and 7. :)

Really the only issue I have noticed is everything seems to just blur together... maybe I am not used to it but it seemed easier to navigate through alarge # or threads faster before... the little preview of the text on mouseover would be a very welcomed addition...

Otherwise I think this is a step in the right direction, feels like it has more potential.

Really the only issue I have noticed is everything seems to just blur together... maybe I am not used to it but it seemed easier to navigate through alarge # or threads faster before... the little preview of the text on mouseover would be a very welcomed addition...

Otherwise I think this is a step in the right direction, feels like it has more potential.

Actually Beans pointed out to me that already exists. Just click this button:

topicpreview.png

The major difference here is they (IPB) use some newer technology for things like this. So it appears differently but it taxes the server less which is a good thing.

I am stuck using IE 7 at work and the avatars and sigs don't show up. Maybe a line or two, but not the whole thing. I'm also having some trouble with the multiquote function, but I'm home now and I tried multiquoting this and failed, so maybe that's just me.

Nothing personal to any of you. But I have zero respect for anyone still using Internet Explorer.

It is not unheard of for companies to not give users admin rights to their own PC's, which prevents them from installing software. Thus, it's either use IE, or don't browse.

Luckily for me, it's also possible to be exempt from such rules.

Archived