CB dept. : jets 10th ? ? ?

kelly

Team Cornerback Rankings

by Tony Pisano - August 4, 2010

> http://rototimes.com...erback-Rankings

10. New York Jets

- Starters: Darrelle Revis/Antonio Cromartie

- Third CB: Dwight Lowery

Summary: It is rare that the second best player at his position is overrated, but that is the case with Revis. Revis is a fantastic player and only behind Asomugha when ranking cornerbacks, but his 2009 performance is being blown out of proportion just a little bit. No other cornerback was thrown at more times than Revis and he shutdown receivers most of them, but he is still no Nnamdi. You know what other cornerbacks also had great years? Lowery and Lito Sheppard. This tells me there may be something in the water on the Jets sideline. Not necessarily making the secondary better, but allowing the front seven to harass quarterbacks for four quarters. The Jets pass rush can take A LOT of credit for Revis' success. Cromartie will pick off a lot of passes, get a lot of praise, and give up a ton of yards in 2010. Lowery should probably be starting, but will take a backseat to Cromartie.

blink.gif

No other cornerback was thrown at more times than Revis and he shutdown receivers most of them, but he is still no Nnamdi.

Putting aside the fact that this sentence is in the throes of late-stage grammatical AIDS, I continue to be stupified by people who cite Revis's high target numbers as a mark against him.

FWIW, this guy watches every game and rates every CB based upon completion %, yard per attempt, etc. I can respect that he doesn't go with public opinion when he makes his ratings. He hated Cromartie in 2008, had him rated the worst starting CB that year. I think it's borderline retarded that he has Lowery rated highly and mentions the Chiefs drafting Arenas, but not the Jets picking up Wilson. Even if he's not high on Wilson, the pick deserves mention. He also seems to state the CBs play well because of the D, but if that's the case, won't they play well again?

His 2008 ratings can be seen here: http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=322572

FWIW, this guy watches every game and rates every CB based upon completion %, yard per attempt, etc. I can respect that he doesn't go with public opinion when he makes his ratings. He hated Cromartie in 2008, had him rated the worst starting CB that year. I think it's borderline retarded that he has Lowery rated highly and mentions the Chiefs drafting Arenas, but not the Jets picking up Wilson. Even if he's not high on Wilson, the pick deserves mention. He also seems to state the CBs play well because of the D, but if that's the case, won't they play well again?

His 2008 ratings can be seen here: http://corner.bigblu...2&thread=322572

It's simple enough. He considers Cromartie a downgrade from Lowery or Sheppard (who often had help on the opponents' #2 WR's because of the lessened need for a 2nd man on the #1 WR Revis covered. Oddly enough, Lowery might very well do better on the Chargers than Cromartie and Cromartie better on the Jets than Lowery.

10. New York Jets

Summary: It is rare that the second best player at his position is overrated, but that is the case with Revis. Revis is a fantastic player and only behind Asomugha when ranking cornerbacks, but his 2009 performance is being blown out of proportion just a little bit. No other cornerback was thrown at more times than Revis and he shutdown receivers most of them, but he is still no Nnamdi. You know what other cornerbacks also had great years? Lowery and Lito Sheppard. This tells me there may be something in the water on the Jets sideline. Not necessarily making the secondary better, but allowing the front seven to harass quarterbacks for four quarters. The Jets pass rush can take A LOT of credit for Revis' success. Cromartie will pick off a lot of passes, get a lot of praise, and give up a ton of yards in 2010. Lowery should probably be starting, but will take a backseat to Cromartie.

blink.gif

Can we all get some of what he is smoking?

Lowery should probably be starting, but will take a backseat to Cromartie.

blink.gif

Based on this statement, I have concluded that Tony Pisano has never watched a Jet game. Any future opinions of his should be ignored.

this guy is an idiot... dline and cbs go hand in hand without our cbs play pur d wouldnt have raped qbs

and he doesnt mention wilson or the fact that cromartie is great at man which hell most likely be playing like he did when he had those 10 picks a few years back and if revis was thrown at so much and held top recievers to anywhere from 1 to 3 completions shouldnt that be a plus to his credability?

10. New York Jets

blink.gif

Ther is not a single thread of logic in any of this. At all. Period. The JHets pass rush can take credit for Revis' success? Who? Ellis? Pace? We had no pass rush unless we all-out blitzed and left the CB's one-on-one. Revis entire season was an insane highlight reel of acrobatic int's blanket coverage and sure-tackling, not to mention excellent run support. Lowery better than Cro? Not even close, unless your talking about hitting. Ahh, i could go on but why bother? This is utter nonsense. No truth to any of it anywhere in the entire paraqraph.

Ummmmmmmmmmm if this guy really thinks Revis/Lito/Lowery/Coleman/Cole is superior to Revis/Cromartie/Wilson/Lowery/Coleman then he is not even worth arguing with. We got stronger at 2, WORST POSSIBLE scenario is a break even there. Then you have instead of Lowery at 3, you've got Wilson and Lowery competing for 3. Again superior.

We improved the front lines and we improved depth, too.

How's that make the #1 passing defense INTO only the 10th best secondary?????

At safety, Kerry Rhodes is more talented than Brodney Pool, but Pool is a tougher, gutsier, grittier player. And with Smith and Ighedibo behind Pool and Leonhard, we are STACKED with depth at safety. I'm not sure who is the back up to Leonhard though... anyone know?

Ummmmmmmmmmm if this guy really thinks Revis/Lito/Lowery/Coleman/Cole is superior to Revis/Cromartie/Wilson/Lowery/Coleman then he is not even worth arguing with. We got stronger at 2, WORST POSSIBLE scenario is a break even there. Then you have instead of Lowery at 3, you've got Wilson and Lowery competing for 3. Again superior.

We improved the front lines and we improved depth, too.

How's that make the #1 passing defense INTO only the 10th best secondary?????

At safety, Kerry Rhodes is more talented than Brodney Pool, but Pool is a tougher, gutsier, grittier player. And with Smith and Ighedibo behind Pool and Leonhard, we are STACKED with depth at safety. I'm not sure who is the back up to Leonhard though... anyone know?

He absolutely does not agree that Cromartie is an upgrade over Lito. Read his 2008 reviews that I posted. The guy TiVos EVERY game and watches and rates the CB. He did each CB individually, based on every play, completion percentage and yards per attempt. In '08 Revis was 3rd after Aso and Webster. Lowery was 36th and had good numbers except for an excessive amount of TD allowed-3 way tie for worst IIRC. According to him Cromartie was the worst starting CB in the NFL in 2008. Nobody can realistically argue that we are stronger at safety on paper. It's just blind Kerry Rhodes hate. Addition by subtraction? Maybe. My biggest problem is that he fails to mention Wilson while discussing lower round picks for other teams. Everybody is forgetting that we also let Strickland walk and he played some fairly good ball when he wasn't dinged.

Smith is probably the primary backup at both CB spots. Ihedigbo is the other backup, but I think he will be used situationally and primarily against the run. I believe that they are hoping to use Lowery as an option for primarily passing downs. UDFA CB Donovan Warren was supposedly getting run at S, not sure about UDFA CB Brian Jackson from Oklahoma. They re-signed Drew Coleman and seem to like Marquice Cole, so they may try both of those guys out at S.

Archived