Woody says NO to Mevi$

Kentucky Jet

Gear

Jets reject Darrelle Revis' latest offer

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 9, 2010 5:55 PM ET

The Jets have looked at cornerback Darrelle Revis' proposal and given a public response.

"The answer is no," owner Woody Johnson told the New York media on Monday. (As of 2 hours ago, they had not responded to Revis' agent.)

Johnson's words cap a busy day of Revis news, with the Jets beginning to change course and gear up for a long contract battle. Rex Ryan says they are planning for life without Revis, while the Jets' website front page trumps rookie Kyle Wilson as the "new starter" at cornerback.

The Jets owner doesn't expect Revis to be on the field in Week One.

"Based on the meeting we had last Friday, that Mike had, that's the conclusion," Johnson said. "That's my feeling right at this moment. It can be a flexible feeling, but as of right now, I have to say no."

We still have an inflexible feeling that all of this rhetoric is part of the holdout process, and a deal makes too much sense not to happen just before the season starts.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realize that Revis' agent and Sean Gilbert have not been helpful. And may be this is all negotiation by both sides. But Would rather not hear anything at all than something as depressing as this.

The Jets without Revis are a very good team.

The Jets with Revis could be a great team.

Leave it to the cap mavens to tell us how this would impact signing Mangold and Harris down the line. But they have to get this done.Both sides need to go into the Roscoe Diner oir a hotel room with a few pots of coffee and make a deal.

Just act as if Darrelle Revis tore an ACL. I hope he recovers well enough to be a Jet again if not oh well...I hope we can get our money's worth for him...Cromartie and Wilson will have to step up as well as the offense. Good luck to you Revis in your future endeavors and thanks for a great season for us in '09.

Mevis will hold out until TC is over, then sign. He'll play like sh*t the first few games and the Jets will dig a hole (as per their usual M.o.) but rebound just enough to tease us into getting our hopes up, just so they can piss in our mouths (again).

Revis' uncle needs to stay out of this. It was the JETS who brought this up in the first place, NOT Revis, so I dunno how Revis is demanding anything. I mean he act like he's a 12-time Pro Bowler. He had 1 good season, and played like crap before Rex got here.

Revis' uncle needs to stay out of this. It was the JETS who brought this up in the first place, NOT Revis, so I dunno how Revis is demanding anything. I mean he act like he's a 12-time Pro Bowler. He had 1 good season, and played like crap before Rex got here.

lets be fair now Falc-he didn't play like crap-he was good but not great-that's why I'm saying how much of his '09 season was about him and how much of it was about Rex's defense-I guess we'll get to find out this year with Cromartie

lets be fair now Falc-he didn't play like crap-he was good but not great-that's why I'm saying how much of his '09 season was about him and how much of it was about Rex's defense-I guess we'll get to find out this year with Cromartie

Exactly. Revis has more to lose than gain by holding out, because if the Jets win without him, he loses alot of his leverage. He better sign something and play this year or he's ******* himself in the long run.

Realize that Revis' agent and Sean Gilbert have not been helpful. And may be this is all negotiation by both sides. But Would rather not hear anything at all than something as depressing as this.

The Jets without Revis are a very good team.

The Jets with Revis could be a great team.

Leave it to the cap mavens to tell us how this would impact signing Mangold and Harris down the line. But they have to get this done.Both sides need to go into the Roscoe Diner oir a hotel room with a few pots of coffee and make a deal.

Pot of coffee isn't going to solve anything. Every deal that has ever happened both sides had to meet somewhere in the middle. Revis camp is not on board with that. You think the jets are really trying to get him to cheap? No they gave him a fair price that they were willing to come up a little on. Revis camp said Aso money or nothing. This has been going on since January...

From my iPhone.

Exactly. Revis has more to lose than gain by holding out, because if the Jets win without him, he loses alot of his leverage. He better sign something and play this year or he's ******* himself in the long run.

Exactly, like i said before, if I'm Mike T, I tell Revis either he stops being selfish, or he'll never play in the NFL again. No one would sign him after 4 years of holding out.

Exactly, like i said before, if I'm Mike T, I tell Revis either he stops being selfish, or he'll never play in the NFL again. No one would sign him after 4 years of holding out.

that will never happen-if he holds out this year he's gone the minute the season is over

Pot of coffee isn't going to solve anything. Every deal that has ever happened both sides had to meet somewhere in the middle. Revis camp is not on board with that. You think the jets are really trying to get him to cheap? No they gave him a fair price that they were willing to come up a little on. Revis camp said Aso money or nothing. This has been going on since January...

From my iPhone.

And you know the financial specifics here how? How do you know they gave him a "fair deal."

They got brick pretty cheap. The man has to block like seven field goals to max out his contract. What makes you think he is not totally being lowballed? If he were being lowballed (not that I am saying he is) this might account for the ridiculous demands of making 16mill a year?

There is a lot of posturing by both sides. Enough of the chicken little crap folks. Revis won't sit out for the year. A deal will get done. Chill.

And you know the financial specifics here how? How do you know they gave him a "fair deal."

They got brick pretty cheap. The man has to block like seven field goals to max out his contract. What makes you think he is not totally being lowballed? If he were being lowballed (not that I am saying he is) this might account for the ridiculous demands of making 16mill a year?

There is a lot of posturing by both sides. Enough of the chicken little crap folks. Revis won't sit out for the year. A deal will get done. Chill.

his family's history says you're wrong

well i'm sure glad you ain't mike T. I can think of no one else i'd rather have sitting on the other side of Revis' agent's negotiating table than Mike T. The same Revis Ego that is "dug in" for more $$$ is the same ego that will not allow him to watch the games from the sidelines. I'm sorry the aug 10th carrot didn't lure his side back to the locker room but I do think we'll see him on the field before game 3 or 4.

well i'm sure glad you ain't mike T. I can think of no one else i'd rather have sitting on the other side of Revis' agent's negotiating table than Mike T. The same Revis Ego that is "dug in" for more $$$ is the same ego that will not allow him to watch the games from the sidelines. I'm sorry the aug 10th carrot didn't lure his side back to the locker room but I do think we'll see him on the field before game 3 or 4.

whether we do or not this Jets fan is ready to move on without him. We'll get to see how much was really Revis and how much of his greatness was Rex Ryan's defensive schemes. It is what it is right now jw-I will just pretend he tore an ACL and is done for the year-same mindset as that when it happened to Jenkins and Leon last year

I like how this thing is getting played out in the media. Both sides are at fault for that IMO.

I find that odd as well... Both sides are playing this out in the media without revealing anything important regarding the negotiations....Its like "he said, she said". At this stage in the holdout process, its all about PR, on both sides...So I guess that makes sense.

For example, if Revis's agents released a statement saying they've given the Jets a contract proposal...And the Jets respond by not responding, and nothings getting done...The Jets dont look so good. If Tanny says "well we offered them two contracts and both were rebuffed" and the Revis camp doesn't make a statement about how they're trying to get something done as well, that makes Revis look selfish...

This situation is a mess right now. I still remain confident that something will get done 11th hour because to remain stubborn and not get a deal in place would be stupid for both the Jets, who are trying to make a Super Bowl run, and Revis, who has a legit shot at being a Hall of Famer if he doesn't ruin his entire career by sitting out a few seasons.

Owner Woody Johnson not optimistic that Darrelle Revis will play for Jets in 2010 »

By Manish Mehta

Updated: 6:30 pm.

CORTLAND --- Darrelle Revis may not play for the Jets this season.

On a day when Rex Ryan admitted the Jets are preparing to play without Revis, owner Woody Johnson said that he doesn't think the All-Pro cornerback will play for the team this season.

Asked whether he believed that a new deal could be reached before the start of the season, Johnson simply said: "The answer is no."

“My impression is no progress,” the owner said. “(They way) Mike characterized it with me, there’s no movement whatsoever…. Nothing new and different, as they say in marketing.”

Johnson took it a step further in an interview with ESPN's E:60 program, a team official confirmed. Asked whether he thought Revis would play for the Jets in 2010, Johnson said, "My gut feeling is, I would say no."

The Daily News first reported today that Revis’ agents, Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod, met with Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum at the Roscoe Diner in Roscoe, N.Y., in an attempt to end the contract impasse. Revis' camp declined HBO producers' requests to film the three-hour encounter.

"We asked Mike to present this to Mr. Johnson, because this proposal was fundamentally different than the proposals we received (from the Jets)," Schwartz told The Daily News. "We wanted Mr. Johnson to review it. We believe our proposals addressed their concerns and issues."

Rex Ryan said earlier today that he hasn't spoken to Revis, who hasn’t shown up for the first nine days of camp.

“I have no communication there from my end,” Ryan said. “We’ll know at the appropriate time, I guess…We’ve got to prepare like he’s not going to be here. If he comes walking through the door, that’s fine. Somebody will kiss him on the lips probably.”

The two-time Pro Bowler will lose one year towards his free agency if he fails to show up by midnight tomorrow (Aug. 10), per rules of the current labor agreement. Revis' camp, however, has made no secret that that deadline isn't important.

"Fundamentally there wasn’t a change," Tannenbaum said about the proposal. "There were some technical changes that we looked at and we talked about. Right now, we can’t find something that makes sense for both sides. So we really have no progress… We still have a very fundamental difference on what the appropriate compensation should be. Until we get that solved, there’s really not much to discuss."

Tannenbaum also said that the Nnamdi Asomugha deal was a "significant" issue, but not the only one. Asomugha, of course, isn't the only cornerback scheduled to earn a good chunk of change in 2010. Perennial Pro Bowler Champ Bailey will make $13 million this season. (If this were an uncapped season, the 32-year-old Bailey's cap number would be $15.4 million).

In other words, elite corners are an extremely valued commodity.

"When (will there be) an appropriate deal to be made? I have absolutely no idea," Tannenbaum said. "Do I hope it was a month ago? Sure. But until there’s deal that makes sense for both sides, he’s not here and there’s nothing we can do about that.

"We spoke for three hours," Tannenbaum added. "I think we left with a pretty good sense of their position. I think they had a pretty good sense of our position. The lines of communication have been open. That has not been the problem. The problem in this situation is that we have a very fundamental difference of opinion in what the compensation should be. When we will talk next? That’s hard to say."

whether we do or not this Jets fan is ready to move on without him. We'll get to see how much was really Revis and how much of his greatness was Rex Ryan's defensive schemes. It is what it is right now jw-I will just pretend he tore an ACL and is done for the year-same mindset as that when it happened to Jenkins and Leon last year

From what I gather the Ravens did not necessarily have the best CBs in the league, and yet they have always been a top 5 defense at the very least. Why is Revis all of a sudden the most crucial ingredient of the team. The key to making the playoffs and having success is Sanchez. If he has indeed made the leap from last year, then we are good to go, Revis or not.

From what I gather the Ravens did not necessarily have the best CBs in the league, and yet they have always been a top 5 defense at the very least. Why is Revis all of a sudden the most crucial ingredient of the team. The key to making the playoffs and having success is Sanchez. If he has indeed made the leap from last year, then we are good to go, Revis or not.

and the offense is twice as good as it was at last year at this time. Woody says he sits this year and we WILL trade him before the draft

that will never happen-if he holds out this year he's gone the minute the season is over

why? The Jets have no reason to trade him.... He doesnt get paid while hes holding out and hes still under contract for the amount he is due to make this season. Its more likely that the Jets are able to sign him long term after the season because the CBA should be more clear... The only question will be whether or not the Jets would reward him for sitting out a year.

Yeah, but the Ravens have had Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, and Ed Reed. The Jets can only dream of having Suggs AND Lewis in the front seven...If you have those 2, and Ed Reed back behind them, what the hell do you need CB's for?

Tanny said the deal they were presented wasn't anything different from what they've been asking for all along. Aso Money.

This has been going on since January, what makes you think they'll come down in the next few weeks? Jets aren't going to give in to his demands, because its not possible.

So why don't you tell me how this is going to get done. Then maybe I'll chill.

Rex can no doubt scheme a defense without revis but c'mon, revis was 1 on 1 with the best of em all season & shut em down. We'll see. I hope to see Revis on the field as a jet this year. I'll just be more comfortable in my chair with him on the field.

Sanchez is in fact the key driver for our success this year though no doubt.

Here's someone who "needs to feed the family" and yet is willing to throw away 16,000 a day. How ridiculous is that. If there's a single one of us on the entire message board who wouldn't due virtually ANYTHING legal to earn 16,000 dollars in a single day... I want to meet that person.

So let's say Revis sits out the whole year. Obviously he forfeits even more money. Then let's say in 2011, there is no lockout. Now, after sitting out an entire year... what? He expects us to give him a huge contract, being a year older, being out of football for a year, being a total douche (from the organization's standpoint), and we're gonna give him big loot in 2011 after that? No no no.

If he comes back NOW maybe we'll give him big $$$ in 2011, but that's it. If he misses the whole season then that is off the table.

We have him under contract for 3 (4 if he doesn't show?) years. He can't sign with another team. By the time he can, if he's been out of football, he won't get the contract he wants....and he'll be years poorer.

So it's all up to us. Is he really going to ruin his NFL career? That is what sitting out this season would mean.

and the offense is twice as good as it was at last year at this time. Woody says he sits this year and we WILL trade him before the draft

Twice as good how? I agree it's better but not by all that much.

Our LG is a rookie, if by chance he's a slightly better pass blocker that's fine but no way he run blocks as well as Faneca. Leon is a better change of pace than McKnight. Greene is a better backup/playoff back than Tomlinson.

Here's someone who "needs to feed the family" and yet is willing to throw away 16,000 a day. How ridiculous is that. If there's a single one of us on the entire message board who wouldn't due virtually ANYTHING legal to earn 16,000 dollars in a single day... I want to meet that person.

So let's say Revis sits out the whole year. Obviously he forfeits even more money. Then let's say in 2011, there is no lockout. Now, after sitting out an entire year... what? He expects us to give him a huge contract, being a year older, being out of football for a year, being a total douche (from the organization's standpoint), and we're gonna give him big loot in 2011 after that? No no no.

If he comes back NOW maybe we'll give him big $$$ in 2011, but that's it. If he misses the whole season then that is off the table.

We have him under contract for 3 (4 if he doesn't show?) years. He can't sign with another team. By the time he can, if he's been out of football, he won't get the contract he wants....and he'll be years poorer.

So it's all up to us. Is he really going to ruin his NFL career? That is what sitting out this season would mean.

if he doesn't sign soon he will be playing in Detroit next year and we'll have their 2011 #1 and 2 and 2012's #1 from them

Our LG is a rookie, if by chance he's a slightly better pass blocker that's fine but no way he run blocks as well as Faneca. Leon is a better change of pace than McKnight. Greene is a better backup/playoff back than Tomlinson.

What?

last year at THIS TIME is what I said we had Cotchery, Stuckey and Brad Smith as our WR corps-this year we have Edwards, Holmes, J-Co and Coles until Santonio comes back on October the 11th-also we have a great pass catching threat in LT coming out of the backfield as well as a playoff-tested-no-longer-a-rookie QB

I'm also curious about what joewilly said. What does Revis gain by sitting out the year? Yeah, he won't risk injury, but he's also not going to get paid, teams will wonder whether he lost his football shape, and how would he expect to get a great offer on a silver platter after sitting out???

Archived