Woody says NO to Mevi$

Kentucky Jet

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Revis shows up to camp tomorrow as a sign of good faith and destroys his knee in a drill, would all of you guys still be calling him "greedy" and "selfish" as Tannenbaum fed him to the sharks like he did with Leon? Give me a break. He's an NFL player. He gets one chance at the big money and this is that chance and somehow he's single-handedly costing the Jets their chance at a Super Bowl? It's August 9th. When he signs before the third pre-season game and gets his money, then proceeds to shut down receivers time and again, I think we'll all get over the evils that Revis hath perpetrated here against us, the Church, and the American way.

Sorry Tom, Revis gripe should be with the NFLPA who negotiated a labor contract that dictates the terms of his free agency and ability to be compensated for "outperforming" his current deal. I am sure the owners would be happy to revisit the issue in future negotiations as long as they have the ability to recover money from players like Haynesworth + J Russell.

This is exactly what the Jets want to happen. They want the fanbase to turn on him, they need him to be the bad guy. Its the only way he'll come down.

Start hating people.

Mevi$ certainly doesn't need the Jets help in getting on the fan's bad side. He's doing a fine job of that himself.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Woody Johnson, or ownership in general, but what exactly have the Jets done wrong here?

They have a player who has 3 more years on his current contract.

They realized he's outplayed his current contract and did the right thing by voluntarily approaching him about an extention and a substantial pay raise. They didn't have to do that.

Now, the unappreciative player who is bound by the current contract for 3 more years, tells the team that a big raise is not enough, that he wants to be the highest paid player, no matter how carzy that amount is and how crippling and restraining a salary like that can be for a franchise, or he's not showing up.

All this, right before the team and it's fanbase embark on a season where hopes for a championship are at it's highest in 40 years.

Hey Darrelle, ever hear the saying "Beggers can't be choosers?"

Is there any wonder why most people side with the Jets on this one?

Not from where I'm standing.

If Revis shows up to camp tomorrow as a sign of good faith and destroys his knee in a drill, would all of you guys still be calling him "greedy" and "selfish" as Tannenbaum fed him to the sharks like he did with Leon? Give me a break. He's an NFL player. He gets one chance at the big money and this is that chance and somehow he's single-handedly costing the Jets their chance at a Super Bowl? It's August 9th. When he signs before the third pre-season game and gets his money, then proceeds to shut down receivers time and again, I think we'll all get over the evils that Revis hath perpetrated here against us, the Church, and the American way.

So he didn't already get big money when we drafted him and he held out for millions of dollars then? He's played a whole 3 years and this is the second time he's holding out? What a joke!!!

On the other hand, if Revis continues to hold out for the completion of the season and helps cripple, or at the very least slightly hurt our Jets in the best chance we've had at a superbowl in a decade, will you still be able to be as mockingly in favor of him holding out?

I hear you, but do you think there's anyone in that locker room that doesn't respect what Revis does on the field or in his preparation? If this was Kerry Rhodes holding out, it would be a different story. But, by all accounts, Revis has always been a team-first guy who throws his body around, plays hurt and never complains. Every player saw what happened to Alan Faneca and Leon Washington over the past few months. They know they have to get as much guaranteed money as they can right away, because if their foot gets stuck in the turf, or they have a drop-off in play in a Hall of Fame career, they're getting chucked. Darrelle's holdout, assuming he doesn't miss any games, won't affect the team's chances one iota, imo.

Oh yeah, pay the whiney bitch....I mean, pay the man! yeah. :rolleyes:

Do you want to win a Super Bowl?

Yes or no?

Well, the Lombardi isn't a reality without No. 24 on the field.

We are BUILT to win a Super Bowl THIS year, right? Or is all this constant "Supah Bow or bust" talk at camp purely PSL-driven bluster?

Sorry Tom, Revis gripe should be with the NFLPA who negotiated a labor contract that dictates the terms of his free agency and ability to be compensated for "outperforming" his current deal. I am sure the owners would be happy to revisit the issue in future negotiations as long as they have the ability to recover money from players like Haynesworth + J Russell.

I agree with you 100%, bro. The NFLPA is ultimately to blame here, and I look forward to the days where those $50 mil contracts that these rookie busts are getting are gone and redistributed to veterans who have proven themselves.

Whoa wait a minute. Tanny didn't "feed Leon to the sharks", Alvin Keels did. He was demanding feature back money.

The lesson learned from the Leon incident is that the organization stops negotiating with you the second your leg breaks. Yes, Leon could have signed the deal he was offered and made some money, but he gambled and lost. Revis is choosing not to gamble. Smart, imo.

The lesson learned from the Leon incident is that the organization stops negotiating with you the second your leg breaks. Yes, Leon could have signed the deal he was offered and made some money, but he gambled and lost. Revis is choosing not to gamble. Smart, imo.

The Jets can sit on him for 4 years.

That's not a gamble?

If they do he will be the biggest loser of all time.

So what do you call it?

He gambled and lost not because he broke his leg.

He gambled and lost because he got greedy, overestimated his value and refused to be reasonable in negotiations.

Do you want to win a Super Bowl?

Yes or no?

Well, the Lombardi isn't a reality without No. 24 on the field.

We are BUILT to win a Super Bowl THIS year, right? Or is all this constant "Supah Bow or bust" talk at camp purely PSL-driven bluster?

Yes I would like the win a Superbowl, thanks for asking. You did see my name right?

I'm more annoyed neither side has done enough of fix this, and both are content with hurting our chances for a SB. I blame both sides for this, how can you not?

I'd rather see him blanketed all over Anquan Boldin Week 1, while Cro absolutely abuses a soiled Derrick mason.

But that's me — I just want to win.

I want him on the field, as well, but at a reasonable price that won't cripple our ability to sign other valuable players moving forward.

And I think that is why there is such an impasse right now between him and the team.

I hear you, but do you think there's anyone in that locker room that doesn't respect what Revis does on the field or in his preparation? If this was Kerry Rhodes holding out, it would be a different story. But, by all accounts, Revis has always been a team-first guy who throws his body around, plays hurt and never complains. Every player saw what happened to Alan Faneca and Leon Washington over the past few months. They know they have to get as much guaranteed money as they can right away, because if their foot gets stuck in the turf, or they have a drop-off in play in a Hall of Fame career, they're getting chucked. Darrelle's holdout, assuming he doesn't miss any games, won't affect the team's chances one iota, imo.

that's a pretty big assumption right now TS-according to the owner anyway who said he doesn't think Revis plays this year and going by his Uncle Sean who is one of his main advisers I'd have to say Woody's gut feeling is correct. Yea the players all give lip service to the "he has to do what's right for him and his family" mumbo jumbo but what about all of those players' families? What about the DeVito's, the Leonards, the Brad Smiths and James Ihedigbos of the Jets world and their endorsements? What about the Brian Schottenheimer's chance as a head coach that we keep being told is supposed to happen but hasn't happened yet?

and finally what about us, the Jets fans? No concern there either. hey when Darrelle Revis and his buddy Geiger were hanging out in Pittsburgh being Steelers fans we were all here or on the Rivals boards and then JI...I want a championship

Selfishness:

Selfishness denotes the precedence given in thought or deed to the self, i.e., self interest or self concern. It is the act of placing one's own needs or desires above the needs or desires of others.

Mevi$ certainly doesn't need the Jets help in getting on the fan's bad side. He's doing a fine job of that himself.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Woody Johnson, or ownership in general, but what exactly have the Jets done wrong here?

They have a player who has 3 more years on his current contract.

They realized he's outplayed his current contract and did the right thing by voluntarily approaching him about an extention and a substantial pay raise. They didn't have to do that.

Now, the unappreciative player who is bound by the current contract for 3 more years, tells the team that a big raise is not enough, that he wants to be the highest paid player, no matter how carzy that amount is and how crippling and restraining a salary like that can be for a franchise, or he's not showing up.

All this, right before the team and it's fanbase embark on a season where hopes for a championship are at it's highest in 40 years.

Hey Darrelle, ever hear the saying "Beggers can't be choosers?"

Is there any wonder why most people side with the Jets on this one?

Not from where I'm standing.

I'm with everything you said. But unfortunately there's a bunch of Jets fans that are screaming to 'Pay the man' as if the Jets are in the wrong at all.

He gambled and lost not because he broke his leg.

He gambled and lost because he got greedy, overestimated his value and refused to be reasonable in negotiations.

..and broke his leg. The big difference is that Revis is already established as the type of player he's trying to be paid as, whereas Leon was banking on potential. Revis has significantly more leverage. The Leon thing was big to the players. They all saw what happened. There are no such things as "good faith contracts" with Tannenbaum. If the players didn't learn that with Pete Kendall and Chris Baker, they learned it when Leon's leg snapped. The mantra instantly became "Get Paid Up Front."

I'd rather see him blanketed all over Anquan Boldin Week 1, while Cro absolutely abuses a soiled Derrick mason.

But that's me — I just want to win.

Ditto. But I want the team to win beyond this season. I do not think mortgaging the future to pander to MEvi$$'s idiotic whims is the answer.

Yes I would like the win a Superbowl, thanks for asking. You did see my name right?

I'm more annoyed neither side has done enough of fix this, and both are content with hurting our chances for a SB. I blame both sides for this, how can you not?

Caving in to MEvi$, and giving him crazy Al Aso money would hurt our entire team's future.

I understand why the Jets are doing what they are doing.

MEvi$ on the other hand acts like he could not get by on $12-$14 million per, that's ridiculous!

Because I think Revis is worth every penny — regardless of how many pennies he costs.

Rex knows it, too. He only said it ad nauseum during the entire 2009 season.

Rex can sell the players on running through a wall, the fans on actually believing a Super Bowl is a possibility, but he's unable to convince Woody that his BEST PLAYER needs to be on the field.

Because I think Revis is worth every penny — regardless of how many pennies he costs.

Rex can sell the players on running through a wall, the fans on actually believing a Super Bowl is a possibility, but he's unable to convince Woody that his BEST PLAYER needs to be on the field.

What don't you understand about a salary cap?

Tom, just imagine for a second your the owner of the Broncos, how do you feel knowing you just shelled out huge money to Dumervil who's most likely out this whole season? Wouldn't you feel a little duped? Most of that guaranteed money must feel wasted now.

..and broke his leg. The big difference is that Revis is already established as the type of player he's trying to be paid as, whereas Leon was banking on potential. Revis has significantly more leverage. The Leon thing was big to the players. They all saw what happened. There are no such things as "good faith contracts" with Tannenbaum. If the players didn't learn that with Pete Kendall and Chris Baker, they learned it when Leon's leg snapped. The mantra instantly became "Get Paid Up Front."

Leon's mistake was having his dumbass brother-in-law for an agent. He HAD a great offer on the table regardless of what Jetslove says...he got greedy

So he's worth crippling the team's future? :blink:

Ditto. But I want the team to win beyond this season. I do not think mortgaging the future to pander to MEvi$$'s idiotic whims is the answer.

Dude, the NFL is going the route of Slam Ball for the 2011 season.

Who knows what the salary cap is going be once all the dust settles.

Why not throw ALL the chips on the table?

The Jets owe that to us. Otherwise, it proves they were just blowing hot air to sell PSLs.

that's a pretty big assumption right now TS-according to the owner anyway who said he doesn't think Revis plays this year and going by his Uncle Sean who is one of his main advisers I'd have to say Woody's gut feeling is correct. Yea the players all give lip service to the "he has to do what's right for him and his family" mumbo jumbo but what about all of those players' families? What about the DeVito's, the Leonards, the Brad Smiths and James Ihedigbos of the Jets world and their endorsements? What about the Brian Schottenheimer's chance as a head coach that we keep being told is supposed to happen but hasn't happened yet?

and finally what about us, the Jets fans? No concern there either. hey when Darrelle Revis and his buddy Geiger were hanging out in Pittsburgh being Steelers fans we were all here or on the Rivals boards and then JI...I want a championship

Selfishness:

Selfishness denotes the precedence given in thought or deed to the self, i.e., self interest or self concern. It is the act of placing one's own needs or desires above the needs or desires of others.

Hey Jimmy! Woody's gasbag act was just an attempt at failed public relations, trying to paint Revis as the devil. There is zero chance they're going to let an elite player sit out a significant amount of time over dollars, especially if (as rumored) the guaranteed money isn't the sticking point. He'll be in uniform. And, unfair as it sounds, Brad Smith and Jim Leonhard and James Ihedigbo and the fans wouldn't give Darrelle one red cent to compensate him for his lost earnings if he showed up at camp tomorrow and tore every ligament in his knee, causing Tannenbaum to tear up any contract offer that may have existed.

There's no guarantee of what the salary cap will be in the future.

There in lies the problem!

Signing MEvi$ to his crazy Al Aso demands, could become a giant millstone around the neck of the Jets.

If they do it and fail to win it all this year, it will become a disaster!

No way should they risk it!

Dude, the NFL is going the route of Slam Ball for the 2011 season.

Who knows what the salary cap is going be once all the dust settles.

Why not throw ALL the chips on the table?

The Jets owe that to us. Otherwise, it proves they were just blowing hot air to sell PSLs.

He's not looking for a 1 year deal. He's looking for a long term deal with guaranteed money. NFL will be capped in 2012 and thereafter. On top of that, any absurd money thats thrown around this year, will affect every owner in the league when it comes time to negotiate salary cap with the new CBA.

Put it this way, throw away the whole theres no salary cap in 2011 thing. Theres a reason NOBODY spent like crazy this free agency.

Hey Jimmy! Woody's gasbag act was just an attempt at failed public relations, trying to paint Revis as the devil. There is zero chance they're going to let an elite player sit out a significant amount of time over dollars, especially if (as rumored) the guaranteed money isn't the sticking point. He'll be in uniform. And, unfair as it sounds, Brad Smith and Jim Leonhard and James Ihedigbo and the fans wouldn't give Darrelle one red cent to compensate him for his lost earnings if he showed up at camp tomorrow and tore every ligament in his knee, causing Tannenbaum to tear up any contract offer that may have existed.

Hard Knocks asked to be at Roscoe's Diner for the Woody and the Revis agents 3 hour coffee klatch/negotiation session-Woody said fine and Revis' camp said no-that seems pretty telling from this outsiders viewpoint...

Tom, just imagine for a second your the owner of the Broncos, how do you feel knowing you just shelled out huge money to Dumervil who's most likely out this whole season? Wouldn't you feel a little duped? Most of that guaranteed money must feel wasted now.

Awesome point. You can't argue that it sucks to be Pat Bowlen writing out that check right now.

He's not looking for a 1 year deal. He's looking for a long term deal with guaranteed money.

Theres a reason NOBODY spent like crazy this free agency.

Tie the guaranteed money into the signing bonus.

Not true. The Texans just paid Andre Johnson HANDSOMELY.

Archived