Woody says NO to Mevi$

Kentucky Jet

This is all going to come down to guarantees, which means it really comes down to Woody's willingness to write a check.

Instead, our owner is acting like a clown.

White-collar Woody wears a white-on-white Jets ensemble to the ESPN interview. He then proceeds to complain about paying big bucks to his best player. I think this says it all.

Rex can get away with this kind of garbage — Woody can't.

Huh? Wha?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revis isn't doing anything. He's gone into the dark. It's our owner pining for the cameras like Mr. Crocs.

he has that luxury-Woody Johnson doesn't-he has a team to run. Revis only has to make due with his pittance he's already earned and make silly videos with his friends while he and his buddies cower away from Twitter and the national and local media cameras

he has that luxury-Woody Johnson doesn't-he has a team to run. Revis only has to make due with his pittance he's already earned and make silly videos with his friends while he and his buddies cower away from Twitter and the national and local media cameras

Let's be serious: Woody did not have to do an ESPN special. He's going by the old "any news is good news" train of thought in order to drum up as much PSL hype as possible.

In terms of Revis, the man is fighting for his big pay day — the culmination of everything he's worked for in life. After watching him erase WRs on a continual basis last year, I can't say I blame him. And he shouldn't have to sell himself short on the behalf of ANYONE.

Let's be serious: Woody did not have to do an ESPN special. He's going by the old "any news is good news" train of thought in order to drum up as much PSL hype as possible.

In terms of Revis, the man is fighting for his big pay day — the culmination of everything he's worked for in life. After watching him erase WRs on a continual basis last year, I can't say I blame him. And he shouldn't have to sell himself short on the behalf of ANYONE.

One great year does not a career make my friend ONE, not 3: ONE

One great year does not a career make my friend ONE, not 3: ONE

Dude, did you watch him play last year?

He absolutely dominated a position that allows zero wiggle room for error. Really, aberration isn't even part of the equation.

I understand you aren't on Revis' side, but give the guy his due. He's the best CB in the game right now — and that ain't gonna change overnight.

He absolutely dominated a position that allows zero wiggle room for error. Really, aberration isn't even part of the equation.

I understand you aren't on Revis' side, but give the guy his due. He's the best CB in the game right now — and that ain't gonna change overnight.

no I love Revis man-I want him here on our team but the facts are the facts he was good his first 2 years and great last year.

He is, he's just not in a position to be paid like the best CB in the game.

no I love Revis man-I want him here on our team but the facts are the facts he was good his first 2 years and great last year.

I respect your opinion, but I think he was better than "great."

In the peak of the pass-happy NFL era, he relegated No. 1 receivers about as useless as high school ones.

With high-flying offenses here to stay, Revis' value can't be overstated.

He isn't merely a luxury — he's a necessity.

To call him a necessity is beyond outrageous, implying that it's impossible to win the SB without Darrelle Revis.

Because no team has won a SB without Darrelle Revis...

Most teams with true Super Bowl aspirations don't have a second-year QB prone to making bone-headed decisions that leave the defense in compromising positions.

Every team is constructed differently, so to make the argument that "no team has won a SB without Darelle Revis" is incredibly short-sighted.

In the case of the NYJ, Darrelle Revis is Peyton Manning. Don't believe me? Listen to any Rex Ryan press-conference from last year. He only said it till he was blue in the face.

Most teams with true Super Bowl aspirations don't have a second-year QB prone to making bone-headed decisions that leave the defense in compromising positions.

Every team is constructed differently, so to make the argument that "no team has won a SB without Darelle Revis" is incredibly short-sighted.

In the case of the NYJ, Darrelle Revis is Peyton Manning. Don't believe me? Listen to any Rex Ryan press-conference from last year. He only said it till he was blue in the face.

Rex says a lot of things, he'll tell you Sanchez is Peyton Manning if you ask him.

We are constructed differently and we may not win a SB without Revis, but you're assuming we'll win one with him and although we'll have a good shot next season, what about after that. When we can't pay Mangold/Harris/Edwards/Holmes and eventually the contender is torn apart because Revis has left us with nothing to work with.

Nope. I say let him rot until he drops his demands, then sign up our boys. Guys who are here to play.

I respect your opinion, but I think he was better than "great."

In the peak of the pass-happy NFL era, he relegated No. 1 receivers about as useless as high school ones.

With high-flying offenses here to stay, Revis' value can't be overstated.

He isn't merely a luxury — he's a necessity.

You need a CB like Revis in today's NFL. Thats why the Raiders are so good.

If Revis shows up to camp tomorrow as a sign of good faith and destroys his knee in a drill, would all of you guys still be calling him "greedy" and "selfish" as Tannenbaum fed him to the sharks like he did with Leon? Give me a break. He's an NFL player. He gets one chance at the big money and this is that chance and somehow he's single-handedly costing the Jets their chance at a Super Bowl? It's August 9th. When he signs before the third pre-season game and gets his money, then proceeds to shut down receivers time and again, I think we'll all get over the evils that Revis hath perpetrated here against us, the Church, and the American way.

first of all the guy is under contract...if he doesn't feel he should play for 1 million dollars this year then i could see his point. but if his stance is that he won't play for anything less than one dollar more than aso money then he's a POS imo. and leon was offered a fair contract for a back-up rb and he decided to get greedy and it wound up backfiring on him. that was all his fault.

OK, you seem to have all the answers.

How much is too much? What amount would revis have to demand for you to say, "this is unreasonable".

Honestly, I don't really care how much it takes.

With no salary cap this year, Woody can open up his pocket book and hand over a beefy signing bonus of guaranteed money. This is all it is coming down to.

With no salary cap this year, Woody can open up his pocket book and hand over a beefy signing bonus of guaranteed money. This is all it is coming down to.

Sure. If it is superbowl or bust this year with no salary cap ... why not offer revis an eight year deal with all the big money coming this year. Get him here and have him locked up with low cap numbers for the rest of his career ... THEN say screw him if he decides to hold out again. He will have gotten a big pay day and we got him for the season we needed him.

Some people get it, some people don't. No use in explaining it anymore.

so if Revis is "mevis" for wanting more... what is Woody? Cheapie? "Scrooge McWood"

can we just come up with funny nicknames for all parties involved? that way we can all know who to root for?

Right, let's set up MEvi$ so he can hold out again next year. :blink:

so if Revis is "mevis" for wanting more... what is Woody? Cheapie? "Scrooge McWood"

can we just come up with funny nicknames for all parties involved? that way we can all know who to root for?

I'm fine with him wanting more. But he wants it all. Not gonna happen.

I know you are starting to understand the ethical dilemma of your argument when you start to create a false narrative (and all Revis apologists are using it, what a coincidence) to rationalize your position.

This is NOT a revis vs woody thing.

Woody has been gouging Jets fans since he's been here. That has nothing to do with revis taking the team hostage and putting a gun to everybody's head.

Right, let's set up MEvi$ so he can hold out again next year. :blink:

Exactly. Think of the (bad) precedent this would set. Any player, at any time during the life of his contract, can arbitrarily decide he's not making enough money, demand a new contract and a guaranteed signing bonus.

Nonsensical paranoia.

Why is it nonsense? What would stop a player from repeating this process year after year? The signing bonus is pro-rated against the salary cap, so even if you cut the player for conduct detrimental to the team, or the player gets into a career ending car accident, everybody else is payed that much less because of it.

It's greed and selfishness on any level.

Archived