Gholston to DE - Rex's comments last night

JerryK

I'm sorry if this is old news, but I didn't know about Gholston to DE till last night on the show. Feel free to flame me for my ignorance.

The coaches were talking like he has real potential as an end. Any truth to this? Were they just talking him up for trade value, or is he showing some real potential?

I'm sorry if this is old news, but I didn't know about Gholston to DE till last night on the show. Feel free to flame me for my ignorance.

The coaches were talking like he has real potential as an end. Any truth to this? Were they just talking him up for trade value, or is he showing some real potential?

Where you been under a rock?

Not your fault. Gholston has been dead to me for some time. Should it matter what position he's dead in?

Where you been under a rock?

Michigan, similar to under a rock. I didn't notice any conversation this morning about Rex's "excitement" about "Vern" so I thought I'd find out what you guys think.

Is Rex on crack? Hyping him for a trade?

Michigan, similar to under a rock. I didn't notice any conversation this morning about Rex's "excitement" about "Vern" so I thought I'd find out what you guys think.

That is because the announcement about the position change is old news... and Vernon didn't have 17 sacks in the first preseason game, so the fans here have pretty much resumed hating him.

If Rex was on crack, he'd be less hungry.

Because of his contract, Gholston will never have any trade value.

Rex is doing everything he can to get something out of the kid. As a DE told to find the QB on obvious passing downs, maybe he'll finally do something worthwhile in a Jet uniform. I think that's all they could reasonably be hoping for.

Ehh call me annoyingly optimistic, but I've got a feeling he's gonna fall into about 5+ sacks this year. I honestly feel that once he gets his first, a few more will come quickly after. We've all been saying that line for a couple years now, it's just a matter of him getting that first one. Granted I could easily see him get blanked through the first 4 games and than just lose all confidence. I wouldn't be surprised with either really.

And his lack of production. Even if Gholston had a contract at the min. salary, he would not be worth much in a trade.

Word. Kentwan Balmer, another former first rounder was had for a 6th? rounder. They both have roughly the same statistical output (close to nothing), thus it really makes no sense to trade Gholston if Rex thinks he can be a serviceable backup.

Word. Kentwan Balmer, another former first rounder was had for a 6th? rounder. They both have roughly the same statistical output (close to nothing), thus it really makes no sense to trade Gholston if Rex thinks he can be a serviceable backup.

A 6th for Balmer is better than the Rams did for Carriker. They swapped up in the 5th and down in the 7th.

A 6th for Balmer is better than the Rams did for Carriker. They swapped up in the 5th and down in the 7th.

Which is a bummer, I always felt Carriker would have thrived as a 34 DE, instead of being rolled inside as a DT. But your point remains, pretty sh*tty value for such a highly touted player.

Backup for who ? The Flight Crew ?

As a VG supporter since he was drafted...Rex was full of crap...that fight was full of crap...even the way Gholston threw Turner to the ground was full of crap...Gholston will probably be just fine this year, but that whole thing was just so obviously contrived...last night's episode just pissed me off.

Archived