NFL News

faba

In pursuit of right guard, Ravens likely targeting Colts' DeMulling

Steelers' Vincent receives interest from team, too

By Jamison Hensley

Sun Staff

Originally published March 9, 2005

After striking quickly in free agency for receiver Derrick Mason and cornerback Samari Rolle, the Ravens could begin their pursuit for a starting right guard by the end of the week.

Rick DeMulling, an unrestricted free agent from the Indianapolis Colts, is believed to top the Ravens' list of candidates for that position. A three-year starter at right guard for the high-powered Colts, he is considered the top guard left on the free-agent market.

"The Ravens are one of the teams Rick did identify when heading into free agency," agent Ken Staninger said yesterday.

Staninger, though, hasn't spoken to the Ravens since Saturday, and no visit has been scheduled between the sides.

DeMulling, 27, met with the Buffalo Bills on Monday and met with the Detroit Lions last night. He might have been the Colts' best offensive lineman last season, but the team decided to re-sign right tackle Ryan Diem ($11.5 million signing bonus) instead.

The Ravens, who are looking to upgrade from Bennie Anderson, have shown interest in Keydrick Vincent, contacting the Pittsburgh Steelers' free agent Sunday. He has no visits lined up, but the Atlanta Falcons also have inquired about him.

Vincent, 26, who is widely rated the second-best guard left in free agency, had a solid season at right guard, where he started every game in the regular season and playoffs for the injured Kendall Simmons. But with Simmons due back, the Steelers don't have the money to keep Vincent.

Other guards still available are Roberto Garza, Matt Lehr, Ron Stone and Chris Gray.

Besides signing a guard, the Ravens could add a linebacker, a nickel back and another receiver in free agency.

"There are still some needs on our team, and we will start to address them," general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "We just need to assess where we are. That doesn't preclude us bringing some guys in later in the week."

NOTES: A league source said the Ravens are quietly shopping Peter Boulware around the league, but Newsome denied any trade talk. "At this point, Peter is rehabbing," Newsome said. The linebacker is coming off toe surgery. ... Rolle said he is between 80 percent and 90 percent after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery this offseason. He expects to be fully recovered by minicamps, which start in the middle of May. ... Veteran receiver Joey Galloway, who had been talked about by the Ravens, re-signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. ... Ravens linebacker Cornell Brown and offensive tackle Marques Ogden will work as coaching interns during NFL Europe's training camp in Florida.

Baltimore is certainly being aggressive in free agency- Demulling is a good player from the Colts offensive line not widely known. Jets- Baltimore game looks like a good road trip this year.

I hate the Ravens but i gotta admit they are making some good moves and getting closer and closer to the Steelers. The AFC North should be a very strong division next season.

As far as Vincent goes, i like him alot and hope he goes to the NFC or anywhere except a rival team. The dude can run-block well.

I hate the Ravens but i gotta admit they are making some good moves and getting closer and closer to the Steelers. The AFC North should be a very strong division next season.

As far as Vincent goes, i like him alot and hope he goes to the NFC or anywhere except a rival team. The dude can run-block well.

lost another defensive stud I see Paul...why did they let Bell go? I know he has been injured but we all know what he can do..

lost another defensive stud I see Paul...why did they let Bell go? I know he has been injured but we all know what he can do..

Believe me i wasn't at all happy about losing Bell. Near as i can figure, the lingering groin injury and the cost of keeping him made him expendable. Larry Foote was signed long-term, he's better in pass coverage but way worse in run support. My main concerns with the defense is can Ricardo Colclough land a starting CB spot and will we get a DE to replace Kimo.

Our GM, Kevin Colbert, says he's not done free agent shopping, so we'll see within the next couple of weeks or so who else they bring in.

Rookie safety Erik Coleman led the league in ''performance based pay'' for the 2004 season with $227,625.

Each team awards $1.784 million to underpaid players who play extensively. San Diego rookie tackle Shane Olivea ($171,824) and Arizona second-year guard Reggie Wells ($151,442) came in 2nd and 3rd. Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Rookie safety Erik Coleman led the league in ''performance based pay'' for the 2004 season with $227,625.

Each team awards $1.784 million to underpaid players who play extensively. San Diego rookie tackle Shane Olivea ($171,824) and Arizona second-year guard Reggie Wells ($151,442) came in 2nd and 3rd. Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Nice info GimmeShelter- Coleman certainly deserves the added money for his play.

I totally agree.

I just wish the Pats had some competition in the AFCE to make things just a little interesting.

I can't believe they'd try to dump Boulware. The Baltimore pass rush is feeble without him, scary with him. I wonder if that injury is worse than it looks.

I don't think Boulware has been the same since his injury. Conversly, Suggs is turning into a dominant pass rusher IMO, so i can see why they would want to try and get value for Boulware while they can. I can't believe the luck or skill they have in the draft. Save for Kyle Boller (the jury is still out on him IMO) and Travis Taylor they not only get good players through the draft, they get dominant players.

Thank gawd they are no longer the Browns. :wink:

Miami also working on restructured Seau deal

ESPN.com news services

Miami Dolphins: The Dolphins made their first linebacker move of the offseason Tuesday, reaching a two-year, $1.9 million deal with Broncos outside linebacker Donnie Spragan, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports.

Spragan

Escalators in the contract could increase the value to more than $3 million, and it includes a $500,000 signing bonus.

Spragan started 14 games last season and played 70 percent of the defensive snaps for Denver.

The Dolphins also are finalizing a restructured contract to keep Junior Seau. With incentives built into the deal, Seau's salary likely will end up around $1.5 million. Had Seau not restructured, the team might have been forced to release him, something first-year coach Nick Saban didn't want to do.

Baltimore Ravens: The team cut veteran defensive back Corey Fuller and special teams player Harold Morrow on Wednesday.

Fuller saw his role diminish when he lost his starting cornerback job to Gary Baxter. Fuller appeared in 14 games last season, starting two in place of injured cornerback Chris McAlister, and registered 14 tackles with no pass deflections or interceptions.

The 10-year veteran was scheduled to earn $1.25 million in 2005. Fuller has also played for the Minnesota Vikings and Cleveland Browns.

Morrow, a backup fullback, was the team's leading special-teams tackler with 21 last season.

Carolina Panthers: Wide receiver Ricky Proehl will put retirement on hold and return for one more season, his 16th in the NFL.

Proehl, who turned 37 on Monday, had been contemplating retirement since late last season, but decided to play a final year after a lengthy meeting with Panthers coach John Fox.

Proehl"I'm coming back," said Proehl, who announced his decision Tuesday night on a Winston-Salem television station.

"I can't believe I'm saying that. A week ago I was ready to retire. (Fox) really told me how important I am to the team and that he feels like I can help them this year. It was hard to say no."

Proehl also said he received numerous phone calls from his teammates, all urging him to return to Carolina. The Panthers will need his veteran leadership since Muhsin Muhammad was released earlier this month in a salary cap move.

Proehl ranked third on the Panthers last season with 497 yards receiving. But he was held without a touchdown for just the second time in his career.

Proehl has one year left on his contract with Carolina, and the Panthers gave him a $250,000 roster bonus March 3.

"This will definitely be my last year," he said.

Atlanta Falcons: Free agent linebacker and Pro Bowl special teams player Ike Reese signed a contract Wednesday with the Falcons, leaving the NFC champion Philadelphia Eagles.

The 6-foot-2, 222-pound Reese, who spent seven seasons in Philadelphia, is considered one of the best special teams players in the NFL. He earned his spot in the Pro Bowl with a team-best 33 tackles last season and has 139 in his career.

Arizona Cardinals: ESPN.com has learned the Cardinals reached a Wednesday night contract agreement with unrestricted veteran tight end Itula Mili, who spent the previous eight years of his career with the Seattle Seahawks.

Mili

Mili, 31, will sign a four-year contract, the details of which were not yet available. He will replace Freddie Jones, who is testing the unrestricted market, as the Cardinals' starter. Mili had drawn interest this week from several teams.

In 102 games, the former BYU star, a sixth-round pick in the 1997 draft, has 154 catches for 1,674 yards and 13 touchdowns. His best seasons came in 2002-2003, when he had a combined 89 receptions for 1,000 yards and six scores.

Bears, Dolphins: to meet in Hall of Fame game: Chicago and Miami will meet in the annual Hall of Fame game next Aug. 8, the traditional opener of the NFL's preseason.

The game will mark the coaching debut of Nick Saban in Miami and will take place following the induction of a former Dolphin, Dan Marino, into the Hall. Steve Young, Bennie Friedman and Fritz Pollard will be the other inductees this year.

The game will be televised by ABC.

Another hole in the Broncos defense for them to fill as the Friday deadline to match gets closer

Just to follow up on this....

Ravens | No Longer Interested in DeMulling - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 10 Mar 2005

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports the Baltimore Ravens are no longer a suitor for free agent OG Rick DeMulling (Colts) after agreeing to contract terms with OG Keydrick Vincent. A league source said DeMulling priced himself out of the team's range following a visit with the club.

Archived