Sanchez. Sanchez. Sanchez

SMC

I'm still confused as to how people think Revis is more important than Sanchez. The "great" defensive teams that won the SB on the backs of their D are the exception, not the rule. A team with balance is the team that is typically most successful but a great QB can carry a team as the ball is in their hands far more often than a CB. Sure the Bucs, Bears and Giants won SB's on the backs of their defense but the truth is that ultimately those D's are once in a generation and in order for them to win it needs to be a perfect storm.

Sanchez may still become that franchise QB... I'm not loving what I'm seeing from him but I acknowledge the fact he's very inexperienced. He had what like 17 starts in college? Then he jumped to the NFL. Unfortunately for us, we'll need to have patience with Sanchez, and I'm afraid this team will be in decline by the time he's making the transition to a franchise QB. Overall though, he isn't really improving in areas I'd like to see him improving in (reads, pocket presence, timing with receivers) but it is what it is. For people who don't think he's going to hamstring us you're crazy.

Revis is a luxury. One that is going to inevitably help us on defense. Ultimately though, he is not the difference between a deep playoff run or not, that's on Mark Sanchez.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revis is a luxury. One that is going to inevitably help us on defense. Ultimately though, he is not the difference between a deep playoff run or not, that's on Mark Sanchez.

Yup, Revis' INTs against Cinci and SD had nothing to do with the deep playoff run.

None at all.

Because we are a defense-first team.

Why do people insist on making the Jets something they aren't?

Right, that's fine we are a defense first team. But we're not going to win any Superbowls until we have a QB that is a serviceable starting QB. Having a shutdown corner isn't going to make a difference until we have that.

Right, that's fine we are a defense first team. But we're not going to win any Superbowls until we have a QB that is a serviceable starting QB. Having a shutdown corner isn't going to make a difference until we have that.

I understand that.

But it did make a difference in last year's playoff run.

If you watched the games, there's no way of denying that.

I understand that.

But it did make a difference in last year's playoff run.

If you watched the games, there's no way of denying that.

It did, and then when we got to the AFC championship, having Darrelle or not didn't make a difference because our D was exposed by a superior QB. That's when you need your QB to pick you up.

I want Darrelle Revis on this team. I really, really do. I just think people who are saying he is our key to the SB are missing the point that we aren't contenders until Sanchez is ready to make the next step in his progression.

It did, and then when we got to the AFC championship, having Darrelle or not didn't make a difference because our D was exposed by a superior QB. That's when you need your QB to pick you up.

I want Darrelle Revis on this team. I really, really do. I just think people who are saying he is our key to the SB are missing the point that we aren't contenders until Sanchez is ready to make the next step in his progression.

Agreed.

But your chances significantly improve when you have one of the Top 5 defensive players in the league on your side.

Regardless, Rex and co. should STFU about the Super Bowl or bust mentality. Without Revis being around, it just sounds forced.

We lost the AFC championship game for 3 reasons. our Slot receiver was being picked on for 3 Qtrs, Shonn Greene got hurt and Jones was ran down. Not having Darrelle Revis on this team will once again leave our Slot exposed and an opportunity for a great QB to take advantage of that hole in the D. Darrelle allows Wilson to be a slot guy and from what I seen this preseason he's a TRUE cover corner.

Now with Greene, LT and Washington running the ball all Sanchez has to do is throw 20-25 passes a game and not throw pick 6's. INT's are fine and they will happen, but if he does throw an INT then he has to atleast allow the defense to get back on the field to get the ball back. If Sanchez can simply stop throwing corner INT's for scores we're going to the superbowl and their's nothing Peyton can do about it.

Colts supporting cast >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aints supporting cast

Really?

That team is around the .500 mark or below every year since 2000 had they had a Jag at qb. Heck, the year they won the SB they had one of the worst defenses in football..

Really?

That team is around the .500 mark or below every year since 2000 had they had a Jag at qb. Heck, the year they won the SB they had one of the worst defenses in football..

The whole offense is built around Peyton Manning.

From the pass protect-first OL to the multitude of receivers.

I'm still confused as to how people think Revis is more important than Sanchez.

While I agree in general the QB position is more important than cornerback, for the Jets, Revis is more important than Sanchez.

Lets say Sanchez decided to hold out (or more likely got injured). How much does the play of the QB decline if you plug in the #2. BASED ON THE WAY SANCHEZ IS PLAYING RIGHT NOW! Not what his potential is if in 3 years from now if he is the experienced franchise QB that Jet fans hope he will become, but how much decline is there to the back up QB over the current QB that stares down receivers. The answer is there ain't much drop off. Sanchez may have more long term upside than the #2, but he is not playing that significantly better.

OTOH, compare Revis with the #3 CB (not the #2, he is playing anyway) How much is the drop off? Very significant.

While I agree in general the QB position is more important than cornerback, for the Jets, Revis is more important than Sanchez.

Lets say Sanchez decided to hold out (or more likely got injured). How much does the play of the QB decline if you plug in the #2. BASED ON THE WAY SANCHEZ IS PLAYING RIGHT NOW! Not what his potential is if in 3 years from now if he is the experienced franchise QB that Jet fans hope he will become, but how much decline is there to the back up QB over the current QB that stares down receivers. The answer is there ain't much drop off. Sanchez may have more long term upside than the #2, but he is not playing that significantly better.

OTOH, compare Revis with the #3 CB (not the #2, he is playing anyway) How much is the drop off? Very significant.

There is actually quite a large drop-off between Sanchez and Mark Brunell. Yes, Brunell is the # 2, not Kellen Clemens. And in any case, you can afford a drop-off at CB. You can't afford that at the QB position.

Right. I guess my assertion is merely that Revis is a fantastic piece on our defense but not the difference between winning a SB or not. He alone does not guarantee that because Sanchez is the main factor preventing us. I never had any illusions about us winning the SB this year, I thought we could make the playoffs and perhaps get to Divisional round, but with Sanchez at the helm I don't believe this is a SB team. This team is without a doubt built to win this year with the EXCEPTION of Sanchez.

Losing Revis or not having him hurts without a doubt. But having him doesn't mean we should be a favorite to get into the SB. That's my opinion.

I disagree with this.

With or without Revis, the Jets will still have a top 3 defense.

Revis is an outstanding cover CB who can take out the oppositions #1 WR. However, good offensive teams can still move the ball and score in a 10 on 10 situation.

The Jets will only go as far as Sanchez takes them. Sanchez is involved in every single offensive play and his performance will dictate how far the Jets go. A couple of poor games, bad decisions and INT's in crunch time could easily cost the Jets 4 or 5 wins this year. Revis just does not have that kind of impact on the outcome of a game.

I think if either Brunell or Clemens had to start for Sanchez the drop off could be huge. Sanchez played very well in several games last year and he cost us games where he didn't play well. Hard to believe either Brunell or Clemens don't cost us more games.

Is Cromartie and Wilson going to be significantly worse than Revis and Sheppard/Coleman/Lowery/Cole/Carrol? Is having Taylor coming off the edge in passing situations going to help our coverage?

Wilson and Cro have to step up but personally I have more confidence in both of them than in either Brunell or Clemens at this point.

The Jets were a 500 team last year with Revis, the run in the playoffs had a heck of alot to do with Sanchez playing very well.

I disagree with this.

With or without Revis, the Jets will still have a top 3 defense.

Revis is an outstanding cover CB who can take out the oppositions #1 WR. However, good offensive teams can still move the ball and score in a 10 on 10 situation.

The Jets will only go as far as Sanchez takes them. Sanchez is involved in every single offensive play and his performance will dictate how far the Jets go. A couple of poor games, bad decisions and INT's in crunch time could easily cost the Jets 4 or 5 wins this year. Revis just does not have that kind of impact on the outcome of a game.

Disagree. Jets are maybe a top TEN without Revis, not top 3.

It's not about 11 on 11 or 10 on 10

Let's take the Pats for example, since you're a Pats fan.

With Revis, Jets can limit Moss and throw double coverage on Welker. Admittedly, Welker still does good against us anyway but I think this year with Cromartie on him we would look a lot better.

Without Revis, Moss is quite capable of burning Cromartie and Welker can embarrass Wilson, so we have to double cover MOss but then we can't double Welker... big problem.

Basically Revis takes away the NEED to double cover #1 and replaces it with the OPTION of double covering the #2.

With Revis, Jets can limit Moss and throw double coverage on Welker. Admittedly, Welker still does good against us anyway but I think this year with Cromartie on him we would look a lot better.

Without Revis, Moss is quite capable of burning Cromartie and Welker can embarrass Wilson, so we have to double cover MOss but then we can't double Welker... big problem.

Basically Revis takes away the NEED to double cover #1 and replaces it with the OPTION of double covering the #2.

How is the inability to double-cover Welker more detrimental to our team than Sanchez turning the ball over?

The only merit I give to the we need Revis to win a SB arguement is that I really do beleive that at full force, we have a chance to have a 2000 Ravens defense here this season. The type that can carry mediocre QB play to a SB win. Of course we'd need to stay healthy, and get mediocre play out of Sanchez, but i don't see a reason why this team couldn't be an all time type of defense.

The only merit I give to the we need Revis to win a SB arguement is that I really do beleive that at full force, we have a chance to have a 2000 Ravens defense here this season. The type that can carry mediocre QB play to a SB win. Of course we'd need to stay healthy, and get mediocre play out of Sanchez, but i don't see a reason why this team couldn't be an all time type of defense.

We need Revis, and the perfect storm. I think wanting mediocrity out of Sanchez is where I feel we're going to fall short.

Good post. Top 3 defense without Revis is unlikely imo. Top 5-10 sounds better

Valid points, and I tend to agree with you.

Even when Revis completely eliminated Moss last year, the Pats still moved the football exposing the Jets inability to cover a slot receiver. Manning did the exact same thing in the AFCC game.

Sure it would be great to have Revis to eliminate the Jets need to double cover, but the point remains, Sanchez is still much more critical to the Jets overall success than Revis is.

We need Revis, and the perfect storm. I think wanting mediocrity out of Sanchez is where I feel we're going to fall short.

True.. But I have to say after drafting wilson and landing Cro, I was excited to see this defense at full force this season. I really thought it could've been one that was talked about with 85 bears and 200 Ravens... Missing Revis ruins it..

True.. But I have to say after drafting wilson and landing Cro, I was excited to see this defense at full force this season. I really thought it could've been one that was talked about with 85 bears and 200 Ravens... Missing Revis ruins it..

The 85 Bears were not a great coverage team, they were an absolute menace in the front 7. The Jets D with or without Revis will not come close to the 85 Bears team defense. They physical beat the crap out of teams at the line of scrimage. The Ravens pretty much did the same. The Giants who shut down the Pats air game had what could best be described as a mediocre secondary.

Oh, and I think even if he gets back a little late it can still be that. But honestly the only way we win with that with Sanchez at the helm is if our D started scoring points, pick 6's and what not. Even last year we truly weren't that. We just suffocated people and punched them in the mouth. I guess I look at Sanchez as a limiting negative factor right now. Maybe I have too little faith in him right now. But even with Revis back I dont' think we get to the SB because of him. Only because Sanchez and all his inexperience is our QB.

The 85 Bears were not a great coverage team, they were an absolute menace in the front 7. The Jets D with or without Revis will not come close to the 85 Bears team defense. They physical beat the crap out of teams at the line of scrimage. The Ravens pretty much did the same. The Giants who shut down the Pats air game had what could best be described as a mediocre secondary.

I think that with Jenkins + Pouha in there and having a great secondary that allows rex to blitz an army every down we get a lot closer..

Valid points, and I tend to agree with you.

Even when Revis completely eliminated Moss last year, the Pats still moved the football exposing the Jets inability to cover a slot receiver. Manning did the exact same thing in the AFCC game.

Sure it would be great to have Revis to eliminate the Jets need to double cover, but the point remains, Sanchez is still much more critical to the Jets overall success than Revis is.

They moved the ball well in the second game. First game, not so much.

Archived