The offer currently on the table for Revis confirmed by the Daily News - Gary Myers.

ARodJetsFan

Just getting this funny feeling Revis will sign a huge deal, then will be out of shape and get hurt early in the season. Maybe it is just that negative Jets energy that keeps creeping up

Revis has impeccable work ethic and shows up in shape. Say what you want about his demands or greed or whatever but the guy is a legendary worker.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It occurs to me while reading through these Revis contract threads that the reason it's all so confusing is because the Jets probably haven't had a player this good in the entire time I've been watching the Jets. We have an elite player and now we have to pay him elite player money? Weird.

Best case scenario. Rex, Woody and Tannenbaum call Revis and his agent to a sit-down. They shake hands. Rex slides a folded piece of Jets stationary across the table and says, "You guys drive a really hard bargain. Here is our final offer." And the paper is opened and reads: "**** You. Call us in three years." Rex Woody and Tannenbaum then go Stilletto and spend half-a-million dollars on lap-dances.

I'm sure he's going to hold out again, but I'm also sure he's not signing any contract that pays him just $550K, or $1M, or whatever, this year. He needs to be compensated in that $12M range the first year, or he's not showing up. So either give it to him in a relatively modest bonus or give it to him in a pay raise. Or don't. But if you don't, you're preparing for the season without him.

Both sides can claim victory with a 10/$120M deal that pays $12M up front. And at this point, you need a deal that allows both sides to claim victory. That's the big deal with insisting that a player show up to get paid. If you do that, he just won't show. And as much fun, or satisfying, it might be to take that hard line against the player, it doesn't help the team at all. Meanwhile, giving him $12M this year doesn't hurt the team. It just gets the team's best player back on the field.

I don't agree, and if that's his stance then he's a child. The Jets can bump his 2010 compensation up to $8M I believe. If that, plus $40M in injury guarantees isn't enough for him then he is being irrational. If he wants to complain about it then he should complain to his union for letting the CBA go into its final year with these pay rules. Everyone else understands it. Revis believes he is above the league because he just completed the best season he's ever going to.

He's being a real a-hole. Who the f does he think he is, scoffing at a $122M contract with $40M in guarantees? And how the hell can anyone be on his side? What if he wanted $25M per year with $100M in guarantees? Is anything he does wrong?

No responsible owner would give a player more than a negligible amount of up-front money when he's held out twice and the whole planet knows he's going to do it again and again.

The absolute maximum bonus he should get is a $4M signing bonus with a bump up to $8M in salary this year, but the truth is he doesn't deserve it. He's a f***ing spoiled child to turn down a contract with $40M in guarantees. I still want them to come to an agreement and get him in there, but the reality is that in turning that down he deserves to get into a car accident that allows him to live a normal, non-football life, and for the Jets to then rescind this offer.

Why you care so much for a player who pisses in your face as a fan I simply don't comprehend. You at least had a half a leg to stand on when his position was that the Jets offered no guarantees. Now that this is out there is no justification other than "I always side with whoever has less money" without any thought as to the merit of his position.

It occurs to me while reading through these Revis contract threads that the reason it's all so confusing is because the Jets probably haven't had a player this good in the entire time I've been watching the Jets. We have an elite player and now we have to pay him elite player money? Weird.

He's been offered elite player money even though he's under contract for 3 more years. Revis doesn't want elite player. He wants elite QB money.

I agree, but I would put a shorter fuse on the deadline. It is cure-it or kill-it time. Either he signs and gets with the program, or we remove this distraction once and for all. Deal him in the off season -- his trade value will be no lower than it is now.

Problem with the deadline, is Revis knows it is a bluff. Tanny really going to say know if Revis agrees to return a week later, for the terms previously offered?

As for trading, what is the trade value of a player that refuses to play? Only way a team would make this trade is if they could work out a contract with Revis first. He wants Aso money. I doubt any team is willing to give him that if he was an UFA. I strongly doubt any team would be willing to pay him that PLUS give up a first round pick (or as some here are expecting 2 - first round picks)

What makes it even more confusing is they've paid players elite money that werent elite.

Truth be told, the feeling he's the best we've ever had is based on last year. No one was making those statements prior to 09. Which just makes this whole thing even more scary.

Its just a ****ed up situation. Guys got 3 years left, he wants a kings ransom, the Jets from everything I've seen seem to be making reasonable offers and he's not budging. I know its all he said she said at the point, but with the multiple examples that have been given from both parties, the deal is more than fair.

I dunno, I feel like the Jets in this situation are actually looking out for their best interest for the first time. He's proved his not an honorable man when it comes to this sh*t, the Jets are doing what they can to get him signed which makes them feel safe.

Anyone thats ever been in negotiations knows that feeling when you dealing with someone that just feels slimy. You know that person is going to go back on their word or is trying **** ya and you are trying to do everything you can on the front end to 1. prevent it 2. set a precedent 3. make out the way you need to feel good about the deal. Hard to do in their situation right now.

Worst part is, god damn, he's ******* good.

Just getting this funny feeling Revis will sign a huge deal, then will be out of shape and get hurt early in the season. Maybe it is just that negative Jets energy that keeps creeping up

Yeah, been saying that for awhile too. It's inevitable, jets will cave, fans go crazy, revis gets hurt and sucks all year. Just the way it is for the jets.

Best case scenario. Rex, Woody and Tannenbaum call Revis and his agent to a sit-down. They shake hands. Rex slides a folded piece of Jets stationary across the table and says, "You guys drive a really hard bargain. Here is our final offer." And the paper is opened and reads: "**** You. Call us in three years." Rex Woody and Tannenbaum then go Stilletto and spend half-a-million dollars on lap-dances.

That doesn't really help the Jets other than future negotiations with other players who think "If I hold out long enough the Jets will fold and I'll get everything I want."

Here's what appears to be the sequence of events, none of which are disputed by Revis or his agents:

• Revis held out as a rookie because Tannenbaum wanted the ability to keep him for 6 years. His agent drew up this contract that Revis signed, which basically is a 5-year deal at top-10 pick money and then a 6th year with a franchise tag (that also prohibits a 7th year for the Jets under the franchise tag).
  • Revis is under contract for three - THREE - more seasons.
  • The Jets offered to redo his contract even though they weren't under any obligation to do so.
  • Revis then demands the Jets tear up his current deal and replace it with one that averages $16M per season.
  • The Jets say that's too much for a CB, particularly one who still has 3 of the 6 years left on his current contract.
  • Revis decides the Jets didn't give him what he wants fast enough. He shows "good faith" by showing up to OTA's. To prove this was a hollow offer, he fakes an injury and then lies about it to his supportive HC and team.
  • Revis holds out of camp.
  • The Jets offer him short-term and long-term fixes. Revis is "insulted" by these offers because he's still not making $16.2M average on it.
  • Revis counters with an absurd idea for the Jets to tear up his current signed contract and replace it with a 10-year $162M contract with $45M in guarantees. Since he is currently thumbing his nose at injury-only or skill-only guarantees, his proposal presumably calls for the max $8M salary the Jets can offer this year plus a $37M signing bonus.
  • The Jets offer him a $122M renegotiation with $40M in guarantees.
  • Revis is still holding out because this still isn't enough for him. It's obvious by now it's either "give me everything I want or there is no deal."
  • And some are actually taking his side.

What am I missing?

I think we've learned that this team was #1 against the pass because of Revis. We're probably somewhere around 10 without him against the pass. We do not get enough of a pass rush to shut down the passing game without a stud like Revis.

No, we've learned that Rex Ryan, not Revis, makes the D tick. We were middle-of-the-pack in pass defense 2 years ago WITH Revis. Rex shows up and we're the # 1 D.

No, we've learned that Rex Ryan, not Revis, makes the D tick. We were middle-of-the-pack in pass defense 2 years ago WITH Revis. Rex shows up and we're the # 1 D.

There is no one answer to the Revis vs. Ryan as the reason for the Jets defensive success last year.

Without question Rex Ryan is a better defensive mind than Eric Mangini. And Revis was in a better system than he was the two prior years. But for the system to work best it needs good players. And the best player on the 2009 Jets defense was Revis.

By comparison look at the 2007 and 2008 NEP offense. Same system. Almost all the same players except it lost its single BEST player. The offense dropped from being the single most dominant in the NFL and one of the best of all times to one of the better offenses in the NFL.

The Jets without Revis aren't gonna all of a sudden have a horrible defense, it will still be above average, but it won't be top 5.

There is no one answer to the Revis vs. Ryan as the reason for the Jets defensive success last year.

Without question Rex Ryan is a better defensive mind than Eric Mangini. And Revis was in a better system than he was the two prior years. But for the system to work best it needs good players. And the best player on the 2009 Jets defense was Revis.

By comparison look at the 2007 and 2008 NEP offense. Same system. Almost all the same players except it lost its single BEST player. The offense dropped from being the single most dominant in the NFL and one of the best of all times to one of the better offenses in the NFL.

The Jets without Revis aren't gonna all of a sudden have a horrible defense, it will still be above average, but it won't be top 5.

That's funny, because Rex has never led a defense worse than 6th-best in the league, even without Revis, and we do have "good players" to make the system work. Antonio Cromartie has looked GREAT as Revis's replacement. I wonder why that is.

That's funny, because Rex has never led a defense worse than 6th-best in the league, even without Revis, and we do have "good players" to make the system work. Antonio Cromartie has looked GREAT as Revis's replacement. I wonder why that is.

Cro isn't nearly as good as Revis, nor is he Revis's replacement.

Cro would be playing any way. You take Revis off the field and replace him with the #3 CB or when you have three CB set the #4.

And Cro needs a lot more help from the safety than Revis.

Cro isn't nearly as good as Revis, nor is he Revis's replacement.

Cro would be playing any way. You take Revis off the field and replace him with the #3 CB or when you have three CB set the #4.

And Cro needs a lot more help from the safety than Revis.

I'm not arguing Cro = Revis, not in the least. What YOU'RE saying is we go from # 1 defense to just an above-average defense without him. I'm arguing that we go from number 1 defense to # 3 or 4 defense. The slip is not going to be that drastic.

The only reason we have any drop-off at all is, like you say, our lack of depth at corner. Having Lowery one injury away from starting is scary. But we got by an entire season with Lito Sheppard as our # 2 corner last season. I like our chances to remain an elite D.

The absolute maximum bonus he should get is a $4M signing bonus with a bump up to $8M in salary this year, but the truth is he doesn't deserve it. He's a f***ing spoiled child to turn down a contract with $40M in guarantees. I still want them to come to an agreement and get him in there, but the reality is that in turning that down he deserves to get into a car accident that allows him to live a normal, non-football life, and for the Jets to then rescind this offer.

Why you care so much for a player who pisses in your face as a fan I simply don't comprehend. You at least had a half a leg to stand on when his position was that the Jets offered no guarantees. Now that this is out there is no justification other than "I always side with whoever has less money" without any thought as to the merit of his position.

Haha! You're agreeing with me and trying to rip me apart at the same time! Hilarious!

All I said was that they should give him the average of the deal in the first year. Just like you're saying here. Except that you're also saying that you don't like it! laugh.gif Tough guy.

It's simply a matter of getting the deal done. You have to give him something this year to get him in this year. We also don't know when those guarantees kick in. Do they kick in after this year like Brick's? Why are you so quick to believe not only Gary Myers, but the friendliest possible deal from the Jets based on Gary Myers report?

I care about the player because he's the best player on the team. And I don't take it personally when players hold out for more money. I won't take it personally when Revis does it next time, either. If holding out is the worst thing he does, then he's really not all that much of a problem. He doesn't have drug or alcohol issues, he's not on steroids, he's not abusing women, as much as he wants injury guarantees he doesn't miss time because of injuries. He's a major asset despite his holdouts. They're simply part of the business.

It's the whiny fans who are the babies in this situation.

This.

The entire defense last year was based off Revis being a shutdown corner.

I have a bet with a few guys about this, i think they'll be right in the area of top 5, but by no means a shoe in.. particularly once Jenkins gets his annual injury

I care about the player because he's the best player on the team. And I don't take it personally when players hold out for more money. I won't take it personally when Revis does it next time, either. If holding out is the worst thing he does, then he's really not all that much of a problem. He doesn't have drug or alcohol issues, he's not on steroids, he's not abusing women, as much as he wants injury guarantees he doesn't miss time because of injuries. He's a major asset despite his holdouts. They're simply part of the business.

how will you feel after the trade ?

That doesn't really help the Jets other than future negotiations with other players who think "If I hold out long enough the Jets will fold and I'll get everything I want."

Here's what appears to be the sequence of events, none of which are disputed by Revis or his agents:

• Revis held out as a rookie because Tannenbaum wanted the ability to keep him for 6 years. His agent drew up this contract that Revis signed, which basically is a 5-year deal at top-10 pick money and then a 6th year with a franchise tag (that also prohibits a 7th year for the Jets under the franchise tag).
  • Revis is under contract for three - THREE - more seasons.
  • The Jets offered to redo his contract even though they weren't under any obligation to do so.
  • Revis then demands the Jets tear up his current deal and replace it with one that averages $16M per season.
  • The Jets say that's too much for a CB, particularly one who still has 3 of the 6 years left on his current contract.
  • Revis decides the Jets didn't give him what he wants fast enough. He shows "good faith" by showing up to OTA's. To prove this was a hollow offer, he fakes an injury and then lies about it to his supportive HC and team.
  • Revis holds out of camp.
  • The Jets offer him short-term and long-term fixes. Revis is "insulted" by these offers because he's still not making $16.2M average on it.
  • Revis counters with an absurd idea for the Jets to tear up his current signed contract and replace it with a 10-year $162M contract with $45M in guarantees. Since he is currently thumbing his nose at injury-only or skill-only guarantees, his proposal presumably calls for the max $8M salary the Jets can offer this year plus a $37M signing bonus.
  • The Jets offer him a $122M renegotiation with $40M in guarantees.
  • Revis is still holding out because this still isn't enough for him. It's obvious by now it's either "give me everything I want or there is no deal."
  • And some are actually taking his side.

What am I missing?

Excellent take.

That's it down to a T.

I really can't understand how anyone supports his position still.

I like it. If the egotistical jerk doesnt take the offer LET HIM ROT him and Sean Gilbert can smoke crack together until whatever money they have left runs out. Screw them both.

This whole thing has turned into quite a circus. I think the Jets, if this report is true, should tell Revis' agents to take the offer or leave it. There should be a deadline imposed. If Revis misses the deadline, all offers should be off the table, and the Jets should force him to play out his current contract. If he does not, then he simply would have played his last days in the NFL. It's really quite simple. our defense exists now without Revis, and the Jets should simply proceed with business as if he is not on the team. If he decides to show up, then they can deal with him then. Revis simply overplayed his hand.

No play = no pay.

Very simple. Revis should not be a distraction of any sorts. We have Cro and Wilson, which in my opinion are probably a better tandem than Revis and Lito/Lowery.

Revis maybe a good football player, but he is certainly not a man of honor. He simply has no integrity, and without that, he should consider the Jets offer to be extremely generous on their part.

Show me a man without integrity and I will show you a man I simply will not do fair business with. The Jets trying to be fair with the man has nothing to do with Revis. It has everything to do with the Jets.

Let him sit out the year. Who cares. Our defense will still be a strength this year. Our offense needs the help anyway. Focus on that.

I really can't understand how anyone supports his position still.

It's not about supporting a position, it's about getting the team's best player back on the field. Why is it so important to place blame? And why are people so quick to do so when they don't have all the facts?

It's going to take some real 2010 income and some guarantees down the road to get a deal done. If the Jets run their business with the emotion of the let him rot crowd, they're imbeciles. Of course you don't break the bank with this player and give him a $25-30M signing bonus - he'd hold out in week 2. But you're not going to get him to show up by giving him a $1.6M signing bonus on top of his current $550K salary, either.

This whole thing has turned into quite a circus. I think the Jets, if this report is true, should tell Revis' agents to take the offer or leave it. There should be a deadline imposed. If Revis misses the deadline, all offers should be off the table, and the Jets should force him to play out his current contract. If he does not, then he simply would have played his last days in the NFL.

Not really practical. Week 2 Revis calls up the Jets and want to play for basically what the Jets offered...are the Jets really going to say no?

Huge part of the problem is that even if Revis has no intention of missing any games it make sense for Revis to holdout until two days before the season than take Tanny's best offer. The Jet's offers aren't going down over time, they are only going to go up.

The way to avoid this problem in the first place is what I said in another thread.

Have a consistent policy regarding all potential holdouts starting with drafted players.

Make a reasonable an fair offer that expires 1 min after report time. At the end of practice, make the exact same offer with all dollar amounts 1% less that expires 1 min after the report time for the next practice. Repeat, each time lowering by 1%.

Odds are once and only once you will lose a player who tests the policy. But assuming you actually make reasonable first offers and the player knows from your past conduct that this is the absolute the best offer he will get and holding out will only cost him money in the end, you won't have anyone showing up to camp late.

Of course this requires make initial offers that are fair and reasonable and might in fact be higher than you could have gotten away with using conventional bargaining methods.

so I just took my 4 year old boy out for a toss of the old pigskin. his favorite video is "play like a jet" and his favorite part is darrelles int vs raiders and brads KO TD return

so he is always brad and I'm always.......darrelle :angry:

It's not about supporting a position, it's about getting the team's best player back on the field. Why is it so important to place blame? And why are people so quick to do so when they don't have all the facts?

It's going to take some real 2010 income and some guarantees down the road to get a deal done. If the Jets run their business with the emotion of the let him rot crowd, they're imbeciles. Of course you don't break the bank with this player and give him a $25-30M signing bonus - he'd hold out in week 2. But you're not going to get him to show up by giving him a $1.6M signing bonus on top of his current $550K salary, either.

The problem that I have with your stance, more so the reason I am confused as to why it appears like you are simply changing your premise often, is that from a business perspective/football perspective/fan perspective/team mate perspective/owner perspective, and any other perspective, except for Revis' there is no benefit to giving Revis what he wants. None. Zero. Nada.

I'll lay it out for you:

Business perspective: You can not count on any level of performance from your employee. If an employee does not show up to work, they typically do not get rewarded. If the employee is not at work, it affects their performance, no matter how good they are when they are there.

Football perspective: Once again, the player not being there forces gameplanning to be conducted in a different way. In a dynamic system, such as a defense in football, there are many moving parts. Over time, the tendencies of those variables become more obvious, and the system can be adjusted as needed. When a new variable in introduced, it creates an environment where research must take place, and the tweaking or adjustment of the system ceases until more information is gathered. Laymen's terms: Revis is here, we play one way, Revis is not, we play another. how do we optimize both scenarios in such a short time frame. Wouldn't it make sense to remove that variable. Hence, Revis is not here, adjust.

t tr

Fan perspective: I think it's obvious the detrimental affects the Revis Holdout has had on the fans. Take a look at the board. Wouldn't it be nice to not even think about it, and move on.

Team mate perspective: Envy, jealousy, etc. come to mind. But the real issue here is the building of trust. If a team mate can count on Revis always having his back on the fioeld, and suddenly Revis is not there, something happens. A certain level of faith is lost.

Owner perspective: I think perception is the owner's number one concern. All of this publicity distracts from the selling of the football product. I believe, as an owner you expect your players to show up. They are part of the product you put on the field. If that player refuses to show up, you are left wondering if you should remove that player from your team, or create a possibility where you deter that player from not being there. Either way, you are not focusing on the other responsibilities that you have as an owner of a sports franchise.

Quite honestly, Revis is not the best player on the team. It's really that simple. Considering the fact that he is not on the field it is impossible for him to play, let alone play better than anyone who is actually performing.

Revis is potentially the best player to play on the 2010 Jets, but it is Revis himself who is preventing all of that. So, getting Revis on the field is something that Revis has control over, not the Jets. Quite honestly, the Jets would be better off with any player on the field vs. one that is not, no matter how good that player potentially may be.

Revis has no integrity. Without integrity, no agreements are ever really reached.

In the guise of what's best for all parties involved, at this point Revis can play or not. IT ALL FALLS ON HIM. If he wants to play this holdout game, IT ALL FALLS ON HIM. What's in the best interest of the 2010 Jets? how about having good players who actually show up? At this point, Revis is not one of them.

You can't make people do things you want them to, but you can associate yourself with people who have integrity and you can reach a level of compromise.

Revis has no integrity, therefore none of this really matters.

Let him play or not, but I don't think the Jets should give him anything more. They are under no obligation to do so. Let him get a real job. Maybe then he will understand exactly what sort of leverage he has.

Not really practical. Week 2 Revis calls up the Jets and want to play for basically what the Jets offered...are the Jets really going to say no?

Huge part of the problem is that even if Revis has no intention of missing any games it make sense for Revis to holdout until two days before the season than take Tanny's best offer. The Jet's offers aren't going down over time, they are only going to go up.

The way to avoid this problem in the first place is what I said in another thread.

Have a consistent policy regarding all potential holdouts starting with drafted players.

Make a reasonable an fair offer that expires 1 min after report time. At the end of practice, make the exact same offer with all dollar amounts 1% less that expires 1 min after the report time for the next practice. Repeat, each time lowering by 1%.

Odds are once and only once you will lose a player who tests the policy. But assuming you actually make reasonable first offers and the player knows from your past conduct that this is the absolute the best offer he will get and holding out will only cost him money in the end, you won't have anyone showing up to camp late.

Of course this requires make initial offers that are fair and reasonable and might in fact be higher than you could have gotten away with using conventional bargaining methods.

I think the answer is in your own post. As the Jets you should be willing to let Revis walk. You have him under contract. You give him an option take our deal now, or we force you to honor the one that is already in place. If he does not take the deal, money is not wasted and revis never plays another down in his life in the NFL until he reports to the Jets. The Jets have to be willing to let Revis stew, sit, whatever. There will be other CB's the Jets can employ. there is only one NFL that Revis can play in and get paid that sort of money. Revis' career in the NFL goes through the Jets. That is something that darrelle must be made aware of.

Archived