The offer currently on the table for Revis confirmed by the Daily News - Gary Myers.

ARodJetsFan

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets same offer since memorial day isn't getting it done. So how is this news? They haven't improved the offer since May?

Nor should they!

10 years/$122 mill with $40 mill guaranteed, is a hell of a deal!

How is it not improved, last week you and your cronies were saying it was $0 guaranteed? :blink:

It's not about supporting a position, it's about getting the team's best player back on the field. Why is it so important to place blame? And why are people so quick to do so when they don't have all the facts?

It's going to take some real 2010 income and some guarantees down the road to get a deal done. If the Jets run their business with the emotion of the let him rot crowd, they're imbeciles. Of course you don't break the bank with this player and give him a $25-30M signing bonus - he'd hold out in week 2. But you're not going to get him to show up by giving him a $1.6M signing bonus on top of his current $550K salary, either.

Also, I am of the belief that any and all leaked numbers are coming from the Jets and I wouldn't trust them to tell me the time of day at this point. I'm just gonna wait and see what the actual contract looks like before I start screaming that Revis is a rat.

Also, I am of the belief that any and all leaked numbers are coming from the Jets and I wouldn't trust them to tell me the time of day at this point. I'm just gonna wait and see what the actual contract looks like before I start screaming that Revis is a rat.

Thank you Oliver Stone.

I agree.. for those who want the Jets to offer Revis big up front cash, think about this.

* He held out when he was drafted for the right deal, and got 11M up front

* He was fine with his contract until, for cap reasons, it had it's 1M year. He totally forgot about the 11M he got

What stops him from taking the up front coin, and as soon as the base salaries dip below what he's comfortable with, doing this again? Once is an accident, twice is the beginning of a trend.

I thought about it, and given that this is a business im cool with it.

Haha! You're agreeing with me and trying to rip me apart at the same time! Hilarious!

All I said was that they should give him the average of the deal in the first year. Just like you're saying here. Except that you're also saying that you don't like it! laugh.gif Tough guy.

It's simply a matter of getting the deal done. You have to give him something this year to get him in this year. We also don't know when those guarantees kick in. Do they kick in after this year like Brick's? Why are you so quick to believe not only Gary Myers, but the friendliest possible deal from the Jets based on Gary Myers report?

I care about the player because he's the best player on the team. And I don't take it personally when players hold out for more money. I won't take it personally when Revis does it next time, either. If holding out is the worst thing he does, then he's really not all that much of a problem. He doesn't have drug or alcohol issues, he's not on steroids, he's not abusing women, as much as he wants injury guarantees he doesn't miss time because of injuries. He's a major asset despite his holdouts. They're simply part of the business.

It's the whiny fans who are the babies in this situation.

I meant $4M as opposed to your idea of $12-15M that you've been touting as a signing bonus amount. I don't think he should get it; rather, the MOST he should get is $4M as opposed to $12-15M, not $4M as opposed to zero. Ultimately, I don't believe he should be rewarded for holding out. He has no honor and cannot be trusted to keep his word, since his word is worth nothing. Even signing his name on the dotted line is worth nothing.

I'm a little quicker to believe Myers because he absolutely despises the Jets. He would never write an article favorable to the NYJ organization over anyone.

Revis is the only one here proven to be a liar throughout this ordeal. Meanwhile you refuse to believe anything reported by anyone that paints a picture of the team being straight with Revis and Revis adhering to the demands he himself has made public as deal or no deal. Revis's camp has never deviated from the $16.2M per season position. You and you alone have surmised that this is nothing but a negotiating tactic and all along he's figuring to settle for less. You have no basis for this other than to, without merit, assign an honorable position to Revis.

He signed a contract that his own agent drew up.

He is not honoring it.

He has made unreasonable demands and as of this moment will not budge off those demands.

He lied to his coaches and his teammates by faking an injury as a negotiating tactic.

Basically, he is acting dishonorably; like a spoiled child who either gets his way or wants to take his ball and go home even though he agreed in writing in advance to do otherwise.

I take little solace in "Well, at least he isn't a criminal," type arguments, as though that is some sort of accomplishment.

Whiny Jets fans? The fans who have supported this team that he won't play for, doing something most of us would do for free if we were born with his physical gifts.

And I'm no tough guy. I'm a cuddly teddy bear.

Yeah, been saying that for awhile too. It's inevitable, jets will cave, fans go crazy, revis gets hurt and sucks all year. Just the way it is for the jets.

I really don't get this notion at all about the Jets "caving."

Why would Woody pay Revis $16 million a year after Sanchez craps the bed in the 1st 3 games of the season?

What? Is Woody going to think Revis can play QB because he's now paid QB money???

The Jets same offer since memorial day isn't getting it done. So how is this news? They haven't improved the offer since May?

Because it's a very good offer.

$120 million with $40 million guaranteed for injury is the best deal offered to any player this offseason.

I meant $4M as opposed to your idea of $12-15M that you've been touting as a signing bonus amount. I don't think he should get it; rather, the MOST he should get is $4M as opposed to $12-15M, not $4M as opposed to zero. Ultimately, I don't believe he should be rewarded for holding out. He has no honor and cannot be trusted to keep his word, since his word is worth nothing. Even signing his name on the dotted line is worth nothing.

I'm a little quicker to believe Myers because he absolutely despises the Jets. He would never write an article favorable to the NYJ organization over anyone.

Revis is the only one here proven to be a liar throughout this ordeal. Meanwhile you refuse to believe anything reported by anyone that paints a picture of the team being straight with Revis and Revis adhering to the demands he himself has made public as deal or no deal. Revis's camp has never deviated from the $16.2M per season position. You and you alone have surmised that this is nothing but a negotiating tactic and all along he's figuring to settle for less. You have no basis for this other than to, without merit, assign an honorable position to Revis.

He is not honoring it.

He has made unreasonable demands and as of this moment will not budge off those demands.

He lied to his coaches and his teammates by faking an injury as a negotiating tactic.

Basically, he is acting dishonorably; like a spoiled child who either gets his way or wants to take his ball and go home even though he agreed in writing in advance to do otherwise.

I take little solace in "Well, at least he isn't a criminal," type arguments, as though that is some sort of accomplishment.

Whiny Jets fans? The fans who have supported this team that he won't play for, doing something most of us would do for free if we were born with his physical gifts.

And I'm no tough guy. I'm a cuddly teddy bear.

:yeahthat:

Revis has been staying in shape in Aliquippa.

He’s been working out at a gym in Hopewell under the direction of a former local high school football player who’s now a personal trainer.

He’s been seen running at the track at Hopewell High School.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1373/2010/august/29/bires-revis-alive-well-in-aliquippa.html

Found this ad at that link:

Beaver County Singles

Find Your Soulmate & True Love. Get Matched on Compatibility Profile.

Singles-Date.com/BeaverCounty

No wonder Revis moved back home, he lives in Beaver County.

That would be nice, but the Jets with the current cba, can't offer fully guaranteed cash on an extension over an amount 30% more than Revis made in 2009.

And here's where the new CBA falls into place. Should he agree to the new contract & an 18 game season is agreed upon by the NFLPA in the new management contract, he will sit out the 2011 season unless they re-negotiate again - This time over an individual game payment policy!

He may be a great CB but how much longer can a player grab a team by the boots & shake them till they fall apart?

I wonder how our troops overseas and the cops on our streets feel about this prima donna pansy a$$?

Comparing NFL players to soldiers, cops, etc. is pointless, really.

We — the fans — are the reason pro athletes make inflated salaries.

You don't want pro athletes making bank?

Tell pro sports to take a hike.

Found this ad at that link:

Beaver County Singles

Find Your Soulmate & True Love. Get Matched on Compatibility Profile.

Singles-Date.com/BeaverCounty

No wonder Revis moved back home, he lives in Beaver County.

SAVE A TREE. EAT A BEAVER. The old motto (and bumper sticker) of the Swallows Inn in San Juan Capistrano. Hope MEvi$ doesn't choke to death on a hair before we trade him.

At this point now its clearly in Revis' hands and either he is going to have to lower his demands or he is going to have to have to chance losing significant amounts of money. The facts are everyone in the NFL is accepting deals right now that basically Revis is thumbing his nose at. In the last few weeks we have had arguably the best receiver in the NFL and the best center in the NFL get new deals. The yearly averages of both deals dont pay them as if they are the best. Close to the best, but not the best. There is clearly a different valuation to new years and new money which do make them the highest but that is something Revis refuses to take into account.

Throwing around words like "dishonorable" is simply more emotion. He's engaged in business, and it's obvious that fans find the business of football players to be unseemly. If management doesn't like a contract, the terminate it. If a player doesn't like a contract, they holdout. This is the way it's been done for some time now. Has nothing to do with honor.

He is not honoring it.

If the Jets allowed Revis' agents to construct a contract with this walkout year built in, shame on them.

As for his "unreasonable demands," and "not budging," that's speculation. He cited Aso's contract, and has since gone silent. You don't know if he's moved at from there or not. No one does. You don't know if Gary Myers is telling the truth - and even if he is, you don't know if those guarantees kick in this year, next year, or three years from now. You read those numbers and believe that Revis should sign, not knowing any of the deal's parameters. It has big numbers, so it must be good. And Revis is a bad person. Bad Revis.

The last item kills me. Yeah, he pretended to be hurt and sat out the last few minutes of an OTA. It was an immature display of frustration, and I didn't like it, either. But it gets trotted out here over and over again like this is the true and evil Revis! Like this stupid stunt is the first step before dragging his girlfriend down the dormitory stairs by her hair, or killing her when he find out she's pregnant. One childish display of emotion on his part that gets repeated ad nauseum, completely ignoring his three years of absolute professionalism here on and off the field. That's whiny, irrational emotion. Sorry.

Here's more:

Pure emotion. Not a stitch of information in there that the Jets should be thinking about, except maybe the fact that Revis' character is impeccable outside of that OTA incident. tongue.gif

He wants to get every penny out of the Jets that he possibly can, and I'm sorry if I can't vilify the guy for that. God knows the team wants to get everything it can out of every player as cheaply as it possibly can. It's a business. I definitely believe the Aso contract is a negotiating stance, and I'll stop believing that when he either sits out the year entirely or actually gets that money. I expect him to eventually sign for less. We'll see what happens.

Throwing around words like "dishonorable" is simply more emotion. He's engaged in business, and it's obvious that fans find the business of football players to be unseemly. If management doesn't like a contract, the terminate it. If a player doesn't like a contract, they holdout. This is the way it's been done for some time now. Has nothing to do with honor.

If the Jets allowed Revis' agents to construct a contract with this walkout year built in, shame on them.

As for his "unreasonable demands," and "not budging," that's speculation. He cited Aso's contract, and has since gone silent. You don't know if he's moved at from there or not. No one does. You don't know if Gary Myers is telling the truth - and even if he is, you don't know if those guarantees kick in this year, next year, or three years from now. You read those numbers and believe that Revis should sign, not knowing any of the deal's parameters. It has big numbers, so it must be good. And Revis is a bad person. Bad Revis.

The last item kills me. Yeah, he pretended to be hurt and sat out the last few minutes of an OTA. It was an immature display of frustration, and I didn't like it, either. But it gets trotted out here over and over again like this is the true and evil Revis! Like this stupid stunt is the first step before dragging his girlfriend down the dormitory stairs by her hair, or killing her when he find out she's pregnant. One childish display of emotion on his part that gets repeated ad nauseum, completely ignoring his three years of absolute professionalism here on and off the field. That's whiny, irrational emotion. Sorry.

Here's more:

Pure emotion. Not a stitch of information in there that the Jets should be thinking about, except maybe the fact that Revis' character is impeccable outside of that OTA incident. tongue.gif

He wants to get every penny out of the Jets that he possibly can, and I'm sorry if I can't vilify the guy for that. God knows the team wants to get everything it can out of every player as cheaply as it possibly can. It's a business. I definitely believe the Aso contract is a negotiating stance, and I'll stop believing that when he either sits out the year entirely or actually gets that money. I expect him to eventually sign for less. We'll see what happens.

'morning, Slats. ;)

In order to make Revis out to be reasonable in these negotiations, you have vilified anyone else on the planet who dares to write that Revis has not acted anything other than marvelously with this under-contract player.

It is not pure emotion, and it most definitely does have to do with honor. When someone draws up a contract himself and then unilaterally violates that contract, that is dishonorable. Now there may be people more dishonorable, like the wacky extremes you cited, but looking rosy compared to someone who kills his pregnant girlfriend doesn't make his behavior admirable. The emotion is yours. You list over-the-top behavioral flaws Revis has not demonstrated, and then commend him for not doing so. That's like saying Herm was a great head coach because the Jets never went 0-16 while he was here and plus he never burned down the practice facility.

In short, you have displayed skepticism towards everyone except Revis, who is the only one to be caught flat-out lying in this whole ordeal. He's taken a position that he said he would not come off and has not come off, yet you think you know he really doesn't expect that. If he finally signs some deal it's because it has eventually dawned upon him that he does not have a good enough negotiating position to get that contract no matter what his agent and uncle have been whispering into his ear. But that hardly proves that he was ever willing to come off that number unless forced to.

Until proven otherwise:

The Jets made an offer of $122M over 10 years with $40M guaranteed. They made this offer to a player who had 3 years $21M left on his contract with $20M of it not guaranteed. They made it to a player who lied right to their faces, to the fans, and to his teammates, as a negotiating tactic. They are under no contractual obligation to offer him one penny more, yet they have offered up a monster deal. And still he sits out. There has been no indication from any source anywhere that he has come dollar-one off his initial demand from this past winter.

It's a cop-out to take the position that Revis is acting appropriately and the Jets are not, simply because none of us are listening in on their conversations or reading a copy of each side's respective contract proposals. There isn't one iota of evidence - or even so much as a leaked rumor - that Revis is willing to accept one dime less than the 10 year/$162M/$45M guaranteed that his side proposed.

We'll see how this ends up but it doesn't look good. I still hope it gets resolved. However, at this point it seems the Jets are negotiating with themselves.

He wants to get every penny out of the Jets that he possibly can, and I'm sorry if I can't vilify the guy for that. God knows the team wants to get everything it can out of every player as cheaply as it possibly can.

I'm also generally pro player, but if the team wanted to get everything out of every player as cheaply as it could, why did they re-do D'Brick's deal? Mangold's deal? Why are they offering to re-do Revis' deal? The reason is that team morale is worth something and they want these guys to know that they will take care of their own. The pathetic thing was when they acted like the Jets offering to renegotiate opened this can of worms that meant the team, in order to be fair, had to offer a market value contract with the market value being highest paid CB.

The guy is on the hook for 3 years. If the team offered him more over those three years than he is currently scheduled to make, they are doing him a favor. That's why I don't understand not taking the short-term "band aid" solution. I'm more interested in that offer than the long-term.

'morning, Slats. ;)

In order to make Revis out to be reasonable in these negotiations, you have vilified anyone else on the planet who dares to write that Revis has not acted anything other than marvelously with this under-contract player.

It is not pure emotion, and it most definitely does have to do with honor. When someone draws up a contract himself and then unilaterally violates that contract, that is dishonorable. Now there may be people more dishonorable, like the wacky extremes you cited, but looking rosy compared to someone who kills his pregnant girlfriend doesn't make his behavior admirable. The emotion is yours. You list over-the-top behavioral flaws Revis has not demonstrated, and then commend him for not doing so. That's like saying Herm was a great head coach because the Jets never went 0-16 while he was here and plus he never burned down the practice facility.

In short, you have displayed skepticism towards everyone except Revis, who is the only one to be caught flat-out lying in this whole ordeal. He's taken a position that he said he would not come off and has not come off, yet you think you know he really doesn't expect that. If he finally signs some deal it's because it has eventually dawned upon him that he does not have a good enough negotiating position to get that contract no matter what his agent and uncle have been whispering into his ear. But that hardly proves that he was ever willing to come off that number unless forced to.

Until proven otherwise:

The Jets made an offer of $122M over 10 years with $40M guaranteed. They made this offer to a player who had 3 years $21M left on his contract with $20M of it not guaranteed. They made it to a player who lied right to their faces, to the fans, and to his teammates, as a negotiating tactic. They are under no contractual obligation to offer him one penny more, yet they have offered up a monster deal. And still he sits out. There has been no indication from any source anywhere that he has come dollar-one off his initial demand from this past winter.

It's a cop-out to take the position that Revis is acting appropriately and the Jets are not, simply because none of us are listening in on their conversations or reading a copy of each side's respective contract proposals. There isn't one iota of evidence - or even so much as a leaked rumor - that Revis is willing to accept one dime less than the 10 year/$162M/$45M guaranteed that his side proposed.

We'll see how this ends up but it doesn't look good. I still hope it gets resolved. However, at this point it seems the Jets are negotiating with themselves.

Hence, the comment by Tanny on Hard Knocks 1 when he was returning from the meeting at the Roscoe Diner..."I wish I had another card to play..."

That's probably why that is not now -nor has it ever been- my position. I've said repeatedly that both sides need to negotiate. I've also said repeatedly that both sides are probably lying. That's what people do in these types of negotiations, they pump up their chests and bluff. It's perceived that I'm taking Revis' side largely because I'm one of the few here not blindly taking the team's side. And I do mean blindly, as folks here are lightening quick to believe every leak that comes out of Jets camp, and make assumptions based on numbers when they have no idea what kind of structure those numbers fall into.

Revis could've had the HBO cameras follow him around while he and his agents complain on camera about the Jets unwillingness to discuss upfront money - or any other complaint they might have. But they chose to stay away from the cameras while Tannenbaum hammed it up in front of them. But they're the ones who are lying, acting dishonorably, etc. Again, it's both sides. Tannenbaum & Co. spent a lot of time deliberately manipulating the press and getting their message out. All the leaked rumors have come from the honorable Jets side, which is why you've heard nothing about what Revis may or may not be willing to accept.

I'm also generally pro player, but if the team wanted to get everything out of every player as cheaply as it could, why did they re-do D'Brick's deal? Mangold's deal? Why are they offering to re-do Revis' deal?

Because it's cheaper and easier to do those deals while the players are under contract than it will be to do them when the players become UFA's. Everyone expects Revis to take a discount because he has three years left on his deal (me included), so obviously this is a good time to get his deal done. Mangold or Brick would command large signing bonuses in free agency. The Jets got off more cheaply doing them now. It's smart business.

Because it's cheaper and easier to do those deals while the players are under contract than it will be to do them when the players become UFA's. Everyone expects Revis to take a discount because he has three years left on his deal (me included), so obviously this is a good time to get his deal done. Mangold or Brick would command large signing bonuses in free agency. The Jets got off more cheaply doing them now. It's smart business.

Mangold and DBrick would only command more money in FA if they didn't suffer a devestating injury and their level of play continues to excel. We always hear that the players need upfront money because of risk. The reality is the upfront money is paid by the team for the right to cut the player during the term of the contract if and when the players aren't worth what the team is committed to paying them. Of course a fair renegiotation can take place at that point.

The players are getting something for renegiotating before their contracts are done. Stability in a system which helps them perform at a high level. Medical records and treatment from the same corp group of doctors which may well extend their careers. Up front money which is worth much more than money down the road. Reduced risk. The team is betting risk against future cost.

The major benifit for both sides in renegiotating early is reduced risk for the player and continuity for the team. Of course that continuity also benifits the players performance. We see it all the time when players move their performance rarely holds up or improves.

The problem with the Revis negiotation is it appears there is no discount and he is actually looking for more than he would command as an unrestricted FA.

I don't agree that this is any longer an issue where both sides need to compromise. The Jets have compromised and Revis has not. For the Jets to do the right thing, apparently some think the negotiation needs to go like this:

Jets: we'd like to extend you beyond 2012

Revis: No. Tear up my current contract and give me $16.2M per season with $8M salary this year and a $37M signing bonus.

Jets: How about a 1-year fix and we can iron out the rest later? Let's just get this season resolved. It's not like you're a free agent or anything (nor will you be until 2013).

Revis: No. Tear up my current contract and give me $16.2M per season with $8M salary this year and a $37M signing bonus.

Jets: OK, we've also come up with a 4-year option and a 10-year option. So that's a 1-year, a 4-year and a 10-year. The 10-year has a total value of $122M with $40M in guarantees in case, God forbid, you suffer a career-ending injury.

Jets: Fine. Here's everything you want. You shall be duly rewarded for holding out. Please don't do it again, even though we all know you surely will.

Revis: Be happy I came off what I initially wanted, which was a $75M signing bonus. See how much better it is when we both compromise? Go Jets. For now.

That would hold more water if the Jets' position was: sign this extension, with a hometown discount, or stay away from camp this summer. The Jets have offered to redo his deal, but they are perfectly fine with him just playing out his current contract. Don't make it sound like the Jets want this more than - or even as much as - Revis just so they can get a discount on an extension that wouldn't kick in until 2013. That is preposterous.

And this is the part that is not going to happen, slats. This is why Sperm and so many Jets fans are upset. He's not budging....at all. No discount, nothing. Your assumption was false. Ferguson and Mangold come out of this looking like saints and Revis is the Devil. It's all about perception. And if Revis is not in the lineup on 9/13, then the perception about him will be proven correct.

I don't agree that this is any longer an issue where both sides need to compromise. The Jets have compromised and Revis has not. For the Jets to do the right thing, apparently some think the negotiation needs to go like this:

Jets: we'd like to extend you beyond 2012

Jets: How about a 1-year fix and we can iron out the rest later? Let's just get this season resolved. It's not like you're a free agent or anything (nor will you be until 2013).

Jets: OK, we've also come up with a 4-year option and a 10-year option. So that's a 1-year, a 4-year and a 10-year. The 10-year has a total value of $122M with $40M in guarantees in case, God forbid, you suffer a career-ending injury.

Jets: Fine. Here's everything you want. You shall be duly rewarded for holding out. Please don't do it again, even though we all know you surely will.

Revis: Be happy I came off what I initially wanted, which was a $75M signing bonus. See how much better it is when we both compromise? Go Jets. For now.

Who?

You're better than these straw man arguments. This is getting boring.

Archived