The offer currently on the table for Revis confirmed by the Daily News - Gary Myers.

ARodJetsFan

So I think I'm ready to accept that Revis isn't playing football this year.

he obviously doesn't want to either j-b...I guess he's happy being a half-assed rapper with a couple of commercials that probably won't be shown anyway since he's no longer a football player

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he obviously doesn't want to either j-b...I guess he's happy being a half-assed rapper with a couple of commercials that probably won't be shown anyway since he's no longer a football player

The Revis island Dick's commercial was the beginning to the end.

Because it's cheaper and easier to do those deals while the players are under contract than it will be to do them when the players become UFA's. Everyone expects Revis to take a discount because he has three years left on his deal (me included), so obviously this is a good time to get his deal done. Mangold or Brick would command large signing bonuses in free agency. The Jets got off more cheaply doing them now. It's smart business.

Yes, but if the team is offering a short term deal, then what do they gain? Maybe one year. Say they offered him 4 at 50, what does he have to lose? He'd be getting his 3 at $26M + one year at Aso money. He wouldn't be locked up forever. That's I'm more interested in what the "band-aid" offers were. AFAIK, right now he's locked in at 1 year for $1M, 2 years at $6M and 3 years at $26M. None of it is guaranteed.

Who?

You're better than these straw man arguments. This is getting boring.

I'm not better than anything. But that is kind of what you're suggesting, though. The Jets keep coming to the table with more, and Revis doesn't budge. You then surmise that both sides need to move when only one side has done anything at all, in a positive way, to get a deal done. That is not how a good faith negotiation goes. Both sides have to compromise unless one side simply doesn't give a damn if a resolution is reached.

It can't be:

Party A: I have you under contract for $10; on paper it's either that or nothing. Still, I'll offer you $50 anyway.

Party B: $100

Party A: $60

Party A: $70

Party A: $80

Party A: $90

Party A: ok, $100.

Though it appears, from everything we've heard from BOTH sides, that Revis believes this is appropriate.

And this is the part that is not going to happen, slats. This is why Sperm and so many Jets fans are upset. He's not budging....at all. No discount, nothing. Your assumption was false. Ferguson and Mangold come out of this looking like saints and Revis is the Devil. It's all about perception. And if Revis is not in the lineup on 9/13, then the perception about him will be proven correct.

Sperm and many fans are upset. I agree with that.

Ferguson signed a contract that I would've advised him against signing. You may think he looks like a saint, I think he looks a little foolish. Mangold did better, getting $19M in the first two years of the deal, and a first year compensation close to the deal's annual average. Which is what I think the Jets need to come up with to get Revis signed. Revis' agents have said that the Jets have offered no bonus money, and the Jets haven't denied that. If they're trying to get Revis into camp with a deal like Brick's, I don't blame Revis one bit for not showing up.

But neither of us know what that 10/$122 offer really looks like - if it exists at all.

I'm not better than anything. But that is kind of what you're suggesting, though. The Jets keep coming to the table with more, and Revis doesn't budge. You then surmise that both sides need to move when only one side has done anything at all, in a positive way, to get a deal done. That is not how a good faith negotiation goes. Both sides have to compromise unless one side simply doesn't give a damn if a resolution is reached.

It can't be:

Party A: I have you under contract for $10; on paper it's either that or nothing. Still, I'll offer you $50 anyway.

Party A: $60

Party A: $70

Party A: $80

Party A: $90

Party A: ok, $100.

Though it appears, from everything we've heard from BOTH sides, that Revis believes this is appropriate.

Party B: We changed our mind...make it $200 and it's a done deal.

Obviousely if we don't see anything happen this week it's not looking good for the first game, maybe the first 2. I can only hope he'll give in and sign before that but I'm losing faith ( and I really have given this guy the benefit of the doubt this whole time). If he doesnt I really hope he loses all leverage by our D playing awesome and shutting down the Ravens and the Pats which may cause him to give in. If it goes the other way, we may see the Jets orginization give in and pay this guy what he wants. I know they havent looked great on offense in these preseason games but I truly believe that Sanchez is going to be absolutely fine, no Peyton Manning...but if anyone expected that anyway theyre idiots. He'll have his fair share of picks but lets see less than last year and no more fumbles and we'll win at least 3-4 more games. Just want to see them in regular season before I make any judgement.

I still believe he'll be there in 2 weeks but I know one thing-I'll never feel the same about him when he does-he is the epitome of the word "selfish"...he's John Abraham as a Jet 2.0

Jimmy, he's worse...much worse. Here's a creep who has not 1, not 2, but three years left on a contract that HE held out for already. If I'm the Jets, I give him a take it or leave it deal at this point and screw him if he doesn't take it...sit on MEvis Island and let him play with himself.

But that is kind of what you're suggesting, though.

No it's not.

There's a big difference between a 10 /$122M deal that gives Revis a $1.6M signing bonus, keeps his first year $550K salary the same, and offers some guarantees down the road (like Brick's contract), and a 10/$122M contract that gives him the yearly average in the first year, and a good chunk of the deal in the first two years (like Mangold's). We have no idea what the Jets have actually offered.

Except that both sides say the Jets have offered no upfront money.

No it's not.

There's a big difference between a 10 /$122M deal that gives Revis a $1.6M signing bonus, keeps his first year $550K salary the same, and offers some guarantees down the road (like Brick's contract), and a 10/$122M contract that gives him the yearly average in the first year, and a good chunk of the deal in the first two years (like Mangold's). We have no idea what the Jets have actually offered.

slats you can't STILL be on this guy's side can you?

The problem with the Revis negiotation is it appears there is no discount and he is actually looking for more than he would command as an unrestricted FA.

Which is the flaw in the "trade Revis" idea. Why would a team even give up a 7th round pick for a guy who is demanding more money than they would be willing to offer if he was an UFA?

slats you can't STILL be on this guy's side can you?

I'm on the side of a deal between Revis and the Jets getting done.

Refusing to reward his holdout, offering no or low bonus money, setting deadlines, or letting him rot, may all pacify the emotions of unhappy fans, but it's not going to get the player on the field.

Refusing to reward his holdout, offering no or low bonus money, setting deadlines, or letting him rot, may all pacify the emotions of unhappy fans, but it's not going to get the player on the field.

I think I'm back to letting him rot.

Here's what I don't understand, so lets say he sits out the year. Would he even come close to the deal that supposedly on the table when it comes time for him to sign next year? Who gives anyone who has sat out a whole year that kind of money?

I'm all for that but I will never feel the same for Revis...and when he gets hurt I'll say you see? you SEE you greedy bastard?

Question for the MEvi$ faction: If you think the defense will be fine without him, why do you care if he's holding out?

Because it would obviously be awesome with him.

Without him I still think we have 1 of the best secondaries in the league.

No it's not.

What difference does it make if the money is guaranteed against some catastrophic injury? Unless what Revis objects to is actually having to show up to work long term for the Jets to make a long-term commitment in him. If he shows up for work, he gets paid. If he holds out he doesn't get paid. Revis objects to those terms, instead wanting some $45M this year so he can hold out as early as next season if he so desires.

What difference does it make if the money is guaranteed against some catastrophic injury? Unless what Revis objects to is actually having to show up to work long term for the Jets to make a long-term commitment in him. If he shows up for work, he gets paid. If he holds out he doesn't get paid. Revis objects to those terms, instead wanting some $45M this year so he can hold out as early as next season if he so desires.

Have you seen this anywhere? Or is this more make-believe?

That's about 4x what I think the Jets should give him in his first year of a new deal, and probably about 10x more than they've offered.

Have you seen this anywhere? Or is this more make-believe?

That's about 4x what I think the Jets should give him in his first year of a new deal, and probably about 10x more than they've offered.

Revis wants $45M totally guaranteed. The only way of accomplishing that is to pay him $45M this season in the following form:

$1M to $8M in salary, and the balance ($37M to $44M) as a signing bonus.

If you think it's 10x what the Jets should give him then he'd be sitting out of camp and the 2010 season under GM Slats as well.

Question for the MEvi$ faction: If you think the defense will be fine without him, why do you care if he's holding out?

I'll speak for myself on this one. I don't give a sh*t if he holds out...I don't care if he ever wears a Jets uniform again. Now, if this was our QB who had the type of year MEvis had, I would give a sh*t. I have confidence in Ryan coming up with a plan without this greedy POS...that's his forte in this league.

Revis wants $45M totally guaranteed. The only way of accomplishing that is to pay him $45M this season in the following form:

Where did you see this, and why do you believe it?

You don't think Revis' people know the rules?

Obviously there has to be negotiation on both sides (as I've said all along), but the Jets need to offer something up front to go along with the guarantee they can legally get done under the current CBA. Revis' camp needs to take what they can get, and make the smart choice on guarantees.

They might not care and take the attitude that it is the Jets problem not Revis problem that the the only way to pay fully guaranteed money is upfront.

They may also be willing to rest one year, as in all likelihood under the new CBA there won't be such restrictions on injury or skill only.

Where did you see this, and why do you believe it?

Obviously there has to be negotiation on both sides (as I've said all along), but the Jets need to offer something up front to go along with the guarantee they can legally get done under the current CBA. Revis' camp needs to take what they can get, and make the smart choice on guarantees.

It was published that was the offer submitted by the Revis camp. $162M over 10 years with $45M guaranteed. It was right after episode 1 of Hard Knocks I think (that's the timing, not the source).

He wants $45M "fully" guaranteed, in contrast with what the Jets have offered which is "only" guaranteed for injury (presumably they'd be ok with either injury or skill, as they were with both Brick and Mangold). The max salary he can get this year is $8M I think (that amount would naturally be considered fully guaranteed) and the balance ($37M) would be in the form of a signing bonus.

Based on what the Jets have given to Brick and Mangold its pretty clear what the structures they would be giving Revis would be like in terms of a framework. If Revis was to choose the skill guarantee the Jets would maximize yearly salaries in compliance with the 30% rule and would offer him relatively modest bonuses in year 1 and 2. In order to earn the guarantee he would have to make it through this season in one piece. Being that he is under contract for 3 seasons its possible the Jets would require two years to earn the guarantee.

If he chooses the injury protection route the team would maximize the deal with larger bonuses spread throughout the life on the contract (on a 10 year deal likely in year 1,2, 4, and 5) with modest salaries. Because of Revis' history those salaries would likely be tied to workout participation and not holding out his services.

if I'm Revis, I want them guaranteed against Skill.

This is why:

1) He can buy injury insurance to cover what he'd lose.

2) He can get injured, severely, but he can still pass a physical. He can still play, but not nearly as well as he had in the past. If the Jets cut him, he gets 0 because he passed the physical.

The Jets are fine with either one, but that's not good enough for MEvi$. He wants $45 million up front.

If he chooses the injury protection route the team would maximize the deal with larger bonuses spread throughout the life on the contract (on a 10 year deal likely in year 1,2, 4, and 5) with modest salaries. Because of Revis' history those salaries would likely be tied to workout participation and not holding out his services.

Large bonuses in 1,2, 4, & 5 and just a fair and reasonable salary in 6-10 and you can basically just call it a 5 year deal, cause MEvi$ will be holding out in year 6.

Given his past history the Jets must back load with a year 10 being the largest payout it can be gaureteed for skill or injury but completely forfeited if he holds out of fakes an injury in protest during the time of the contract.

Just want this to be overwith already! So tired of reading articles and hoping to hear something good. I work at a company with the word "REGENT" in the name and I swear I just almost answered the phone and said "REVIS" instead.

If he doesnt come back he's really throwing something away that could have been special...

Archived