The offer currently on the table for Revis confirmed by the Daily News - Gary Myers.

ARodJetsFan

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on the side of a deal between Revis and the Jets getting done.

Refusing to reward his holdout, offering no or low bonus money, setting deadlines, or letting him rot, may all pacify the emotions of unhappy fans, but it's not going to get the player on the field.

I'm all for getting a deal done.

But if Revis is unwilling to take the same deal that Mangold and Brick did, then, in all honestly, f--k Revis. Revis is not categorically better than those 2, but he wants money that is perhaps more than what they got combined in both bonus, guaranteed money, and total compensation.

It was published that was the offer submitted by the Revis camp. $162M over 10 years with $45M guaranteed. It was right after episode 1 of Hard Knocks I think (that's the timing, not the source).

He wants $45M "fully" guaranteed, in contrast with what the Jets have offered which is "only" guaranteed for injury (presumably they'd be ok with either injury or skill, as they were with both Brick and Mangold). The max salary he can get this year is $8M I think (that amount would naturally be considered fully guaranteed) and the balance ($37M) would be in the form of a signing bonus.

EXACTLY.

Why is the Mevi$ faction continuing to ignore this?

Revis wants a huge signing bonus. That's the only way to get "fully" guaranteed money.

But if Revis is unwilling to take the same deal that Mangold and Brick did, then, in all honestly, f--k Revis. Revis is not categorically better than those 2, but he wants money that is perhaps more than what they got combined in both bonus, guaranteed money, and total compensation.

Yes he is.

All things considered, the need for more money isn't the worst vice a pro athlete can have.

But it is the worst vice for a corporation to have?

Clearly. But part of what Revis is probably scoffing at is that he held out from a contract that - next year - would have guaranteed $20M against skill and injury. Now the Jets are offering up $40M against one but not the other.

Revis is trying to have it both ways. On the one hand, he doesn't like his contract and is holding out. On the other, he's using the old contract to show that he had a full guarantee for the next two years. Which is it, Darrelle? If the next 2 years of the original deal was so amazing why aren't you here?

Revis wants a huge signing bonus. That's the only way to get "fully" guaranteed money.

Of course, a huge signing bonus gives him the most flexibility to plan his next holdout. Are the Jets really going to let this guy holdout 3 times in one career? Fool me once...

Look, Revis is a scumbag-that's it-bottom line

If he gets back soon, no damage done. If he misses ONE MINUTE of playing time, I am done rooting for this dope. I will boo him mercilessly the moment he steps back on the field --- if he ever does because I hope if he pulls this they let him rot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give up on this guy. **** him. He's dead to me. The Jets and Jets fans need to move on. Pretend like he doesn't exist. Our first game is exactly two weeks from today. If he signs before week 1, I'll still be happy but will never feel the same way I once felt about Revis. If he doesn't sign, pull the offer off the table and pretend he doesn't exist. We're going to be fine. This is not the first time Rex Ryan had a GREAT defense without Darrelle Revis. I trust Rex Ryan more than anyone in the football business. The guy is a complete genius when it comes to defense and that's what wins football games today. Defense and running the ball, both characteristics that the Jets have. I'm fine without Darrelle Revis. **** HIM!

EXACTLY.

Why is the Mevi$ faction continuing to ignore this?

Just a question as I'm not a contract or cap expert, and if this was brought up before I apologize, but:

Couldn't they put this disputed signing bonus in a escrow type of account to protect both parties? So for example, if it's a 10 year contract and a 40 Mill signing bonus (120 Mill overall), Revis gets 4 mill each year over the life of the contract. If Revis ever holds out again, the money in the escrow is forfeited. If the Jets cut Revis, or if he suffers a career ending injury, then Revis gets the balance of the escrow. That way both sides are protected.

Something along these lines anyway. Maybe do 5 years and a 20 Mill SB (60 Mill total)? I guess if it was that easy teams would already be doing it, but it just seems like there should be somewhere to compromise.

Just a question as I'm not a contract or cap expert, and if this was brought up before I apologize, but:

Couldn't they put this disputed signing bonus in a escrow type of account to protect both parties? So for example, if it's a 10 year contract and a 40 Mill signing bonus (120 Mill overall), Revis gets 4 mill each year over the life of the contract. If Revis ever holds out again, the money in the escrow is forfeited. If the Jets cut Revis, or if he suffers a career ending injury, then Revis gets the balance of the escrow. That way both sides are protected.

Something along these lines anyway. Maybe do 5 years and a 20 Mill SB (60 Mill total)? I guess if it was that easy teams would already be doing it, but it just seems like there should be somewhere to compromise.

What you are talking about is guaranteed contract for both skill and injury. Not permitted this year.

What you are talking about is guaranteed contract for both skill and injury. Not permitted this year.

Not exactly. Most of what I have read around here says that you get around that by giving a large signing bonus which is permitted. What I'm suggesting is that they give him that, but put it an escrow account as I described instead of paying directly. Like I said, that may not be permitted by the current CBA, but contract wise I think you could as I've seen similar conditions in contracts before (not in the NFL though).

Not exactly. Most of what I have read around here says that you get around that by giving a large signing bonus which is permitted. What I'm suggesting is that they give him that, but put it an escrow account as I described instead of paying directly. Like I said, that may not be permitted by the current CBA, but contract wise I think you could as I've seen similar conditions in contracts before (not in the NFL though).

If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...then it is a duck.

What you are proposing is something that is legal most years but not this year. Signing bonuses are paid year one. What you are proposing is called guaranteed salary.

You could list Jenkins as a free safety on the roster if you wanted and nobody would care. But if lines up in the middle of the defensive line than he is nose tackle regardless of what his called on the roster.

Here's what I don't understand, so lets say he sits out the year. Would he even come close to the deal that supposedly on the table when it comes time for him to sign next year? Who gives anyone who has sat out a whole year that kind of money?

Good question. Add the probability of no football next year and it is more likely that he won't have played in 2 years in that scenario. Which means he'll probably come back soon and the MEvi$ crowd will forget all about this by week 4.

Mangold and Brick signed very different deals. If the 10/122 is structured like Mangold's, he should sign. If it's structured like D'Brick's, he shouldn't.

If the reports are correct Revis is demanding more than what he would get as an unrestricted FA. And the core problem is that while MEvi$ is a great player he overvalues himself.....

If Tanny feels the situations is hopeless one option would be stick him on the trading block. Problem is no team is going to trade for him unless they know they he will be playing and have a contract in advance.

So set the trade price, for example two first round picks or a 1st and 2-2nds. Then give all 31 NFL team are permission to negotiated with him regarding salary. Or maybe all but the 3 in the AFCE. Or limit it to just the NFC.

Maybe a team will make an offer that is acceptable to Revis in which case the Jets get an extra 1st round pick in 2011 and 2012. Or maybe Revis will conclude his not worth in the open market what he thinks he is worth.

NYPost - Jets Tight Wallets:

Short of plastering it on a billboard, could the Jets make it more obvious that money and their gargantuan debt load is a problem right now? The release ofLaveranues Coles over the weekend – not to mention the subsequent negotiations with Adalius Thomas as a replacement for Calvin Pace – was transparently financial. If Coles had been on the roster in Week 1, as a vested veteran his entire 2010 salary would have been fully guaranteed. While they tried to portray it as strictly a football move, Coles himself exposed it as a money decision when he said Rex Ryan asked him to re-sign in time for Week 2, when Coles’ entire salary would no longer have been guaranteed. So, basically, from the moment he signed last month, it was a foregone conclusion Coles was going to get cut this past Sunday – no matter what he did or didn’t do on the field. That’s fine, and it happens a lot in the NFL, but the Jets should have been more open about it with the fans and media as soon as Coles was brought in. And it’s clear that money is an issue with Thomas, too. Even though Pace could miss as much as four or five regular-season games and the Jets’ depth at outside linebacker is questionable, don’t look for Thomas to be in a Jets uniform Week 1 against the Ravens for the same reason Coles is gone. It’s also no secret that Woody Johnson ’s unwillingness to make a large upfront payment to Darrelle Revis is the only stumbling block in Revis’ ugly holdout. So, to sum it up, Woody is willing to leave his team shorthanded for a potential AFC Championship Game preview against Baltimore on “Monday Night Football” in the Jets’ first regular-season game at New Meadowlands Stadium. If he is doing that to save money, which looks to be the case, then Johnson is doing his team’s loyal fans – many of whom paid through the nose for PSLs – a massive disservice.

Apparently it's still something of a secret. dry.gif

Mangold and Brick signed very different deals. If the 10/122 is structured like Mangold's, he should sign. If it's structured like D'Brick's, he shouldn't.

The main reason they were structured differently was because of the nature of the guarantee, which is up to Revis.

Mangold took the injury guarantee, the SAME offered to Revis in the $120 million deal. DBrick decided on the skill guarantee.

Revis has the option to take a deal like Mangold, but he doesn't want it. He wants the "full guarantee" which means all the money up front as has been discussed here ad naseum.

The main reason they were structured differently was because of the nature of the guarantee, which is up to Revis.

Mangold took the injury guarantee, the SAME offered to Revis in the $120 million deal. DBrick decided on the skill guarantee.

Revis has the option to take a deal like Mangold, but he doesn't want it. He wants the "full guarantee" which means all the money up front as has been discussed here ad naseum.

The full guarantee is probably discussed here more than it is between the two parties.

The bigger difference between the two deals is the fact that Mangold's guarantees kick in immediately, while D'Brick has to wait a season for the Jets to pick up his guarantees. Mangold also gets a significantly larger percentage of his money in the first two years of his deal than Brick.

Its no secret. But only an utter fool would give Revis a ton of up front money, to set themselves up for another hold out next year now that the signing bonus is collected.

+1

Revis is not interested in an extension on his current contract - even one that guarantees no less than $40M will be paid from the Jets to Revis - because with that structure he won't be able to hold out again 2-3 years from now.

He may have earned a bump on his contract, but with his actions he has not earned up-front money. He wants more money he's going to actually show up and play (or get injured - legitimately injured - while playing).

Crazy idea, I know, to have to actually play football games to draw pay as a football player. What jerks the Jets are to make such outlandish demands.

The full guarantee is probably discussed here more than it is between the two parties.

The bigger difference between the two deals is the fact that Mangold's guarantees kick in immediately, while D'Brick has to wait a season for the Jets to pick up his guarantees. Mangold also gets a significantly larger percentage of his money in the first two years of his deal than Brick.

That's because DBrick chose the "skill guarantee", because that's the way it works. Injury guarantee works like Mangold's deal.

Revis wants Woody to write him a check for $45 mil right now so he can holdout again in 2012 or 2013.

LOL, slats.

Yeah, Woody paying Revis $45 million in 2010. Of course that would get it done.

I think a third of that would get it done - or even a quarter of it. Word from both Revis' agents and the Jets, though, is that they haven't offered any upfront money.

That's because DBrick chose the "skill guarantee", because that's the way it works. Injury guarantee works like Mangold's deal.

No. Mangold's deal is guaranteed now.

If the Jets want to cut D'Brick between now and 2/15/11 for skill (or any other reason), they're free to do so without any penalty - or paying any guarantees. Which is good for the Jets because D'Brick, unlike Revis, is massively overrated.

Archived