The offer currently on the table for Revis confirmed by the Daily News - Gary Myers.

ARodJetsFan

Why is anyone campaigning for this jackass????? You think the organization doesn't want to have him back, that they are not willing to pay him? They just paid Brick and Mangold. Whatever you think about those deals, they did it... they know that their best chances lie with getting him back, they want him back... Revis is being a total douche about it. IT SUCKS that here we are we should be talking about playoff possibilities instead we are discussing this LOSER because that is what he is right now

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Mangold's deal is guaranteed now.

If the Jets want to cut D'Brick between now and 2/15/11 for skill (or any other reason), they're free to do so without any penalty - or paying any guarantees. Which is good for the Jets because D'Brick, unlike Revis, is massively overrated.

For what reason would Revis need a skill guarantee between now and 2/15/11? Injury I can understand. But absent an injury how the **** does Revis go from being in the opinion of Rex Ryan "the best defensive player in the NFL" to someone less useful to the Jets than Vernon Gholston? And if Revis doesn't get an injury and the Jets cut him just for sh*ts and giggle, he is an unrestricted free agent and he can sign with any team for what ever obscene money the team is willing to throw at him.

No. Mangold's deal is guaranteed now.

If the Jets want to cut D'Brick between now and 2/15/11 for skill (or any other reason), they're free to do so without any penalty - or paying any guarantees. Which is good for the Jets because D'Brick, unlike Revis, is massively overrated.

And what is the likelihood that DBrick gets cut for any reason between now and 2/15/11???

Seriously. Who is going to play LT for the Jets?

You're like an Allstate insurance salesman pleading with a Kansas homeowner to get Hurricane Insurance.

For what reason would Revis need a skill guarantee between now and 2/15/11? Injury I can understand. But absent an injury how the **** does Revis go from being in the opinion of Rex Ryan "the best defensive player in the NFL" to someone less useful to the Jets than Vernon Gholston? And if Revis doesn't get an injury and the Jets cut him just for sh*ts and giggle, he is an unrestricted free agent and he can sign with any team for what ever obscene money the team is willing to throw at him.

Uh, that's D'Brick's deal I'm refering to there, not any Revis proposal.

But the man wants security, and having to wait a year for those guarantees to kick in doesn't provide it. If the Jets decide that D'Brick isn't worth what they just signed him for, they can cut him after one $9.2M season. Pretty impressive considering that they touted the deal as having $30M in guarantees. I believe there's a second tier of guarantees for Brick that don't kick in until 2012, too. It's a pretty squirrelly deal.

In the case of Mangold's deal, all of his guarantees were in place the moment he signed. Which is why I said that Revis should sign any deal featuring the overall numbers rumored in this thread, structured like the contract Mangold has.

And what is the likelihood that DBrick gets cut for any reason between now and 2/15/11???

It's entirely possible. D'Brick is now overpaid. He looks good when he has a solid guard next to him, and not so good when he doesn't. When the Jets are looking to sign Edwards, Holmes, and maybe Cromartie next year, they could very well revisit the season Brick had in 2010 in determining where they look for some of the money. That option will be available to them. The option to cut Mangold isn't.

But the man wants security, and having to wait a year for those guarantees to kick in doesn't provide it. If the Jets decide that D'Brick isn't worth what they just signed him for, they can cut him after one $9.2M season. Pretty impressive considering that they touted the deal as having $30M in guarantees. I believe there's a second tier of guarantees for Brick that don't kick in until 2012, too. It's a pretty squirrelly deal.

In the case of Mangold's deal, all of his guarantees were in place the moment he signed. Which is why I said that Revis should sign any deal featuring the overall numbers rumored in this thread, structured like the contract Mangold has.

I know you are refering to D'Brick's deal not a Revis proposal.

But why the eff do great players need a skill guarantee? I can understand injury, but skill no.

So D'Brick doesn't get injured but the Jets cut him anyway. :rolleyes: Okay, lets pretend they do that. He makes $9.2 million dollars this season which is among the highest paid OL and he becomes a free agent and someone else will give him a boat load of money.

Just a question as I'm not a contract or cap expert, and if this was brought up before I apologize, but:

Couldn't they put this disputed signing bonus in a escrow type of account to protect both parties? So for example, if it's a 10 year contract and a 40 Mill signing bonus (120 Mill overall), Revis gets 4 mill each year over the life of the contract. If Revis ever holds out again, the money in the escrow is forfeited. If the Jets cut Revis, or if he suffers a career ending injury, then Revis gets the balance of the escrow. That way both sides are protected.

Something along these lines anyway. Maybe do 5 years and a 20 Mill SB (60 Mill total)? I guess if it was that easy teams would already be doing it, but it just seems like there should be somewhere to compromise.

The type of bonus you are referring to is called a completion bonus. The bonus is paid out provided that the player fulfills his contractual obligations, typically it means showing up for workouts and training camp. Revis would never agree to such a deal because it cant be fully guaranteed due to the uncapped rules. That said because of his track record I have a feeling his contract will be loaded with these types of bonuses.

I know you are refering to D'Brick's deal not a Revis proposal.

But why the eff do great players need a skill guarantee? I can understand injury, but skill no.

So D'Brick doesn't get injured but the Jets cut him anyway. :rolleyes: Okay, lets pretend they do that. He makes $9.2 million dollars this season which is among the highest paid OL and he becomes a free agent and someone else will give him a boat load of money.

I'll even come to slats's defense on this one. Let's say Revis gets hurt pretty badly, but not career-ending. Like a busted ACL. His career isn't over, he comes back, but he just isn't the same player he was before the injury. The Jets would then be able to cut him for skill.

Presumably, that's why D'Brick chose the skill guarantee. He can take out an insurance policy for a career-ending injury. Career-altering injury is more difficult to definitively prove, so if he messes up his ankle horribly and can't slide around like he used to, the Jets can't cut him for being an immobile sloth of a left tackle.

Because unlike all the other major sports leagues, NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed. So players want those guarantees written in. The "skill" guarantee protects them from being arbitrarily cut. Traditionally, large bonus payouts helped protect a player from getting cut. In lieu of those, guarantees are the next best thing.

Is it likely? Probably not.

But tell me this: why would the Jets bother writing his contract in such a way if it hadn't occurred to them that having the ability to cut him cleanly next February could possibly work to their advantage? What sense does it make for them to not just write those guarantees in from the start -like Mangold's- unless they saw a potential reason for not doing so?

Neither deal protects the player from being cut after the season. Mangold has injury protection so that if he gets seriously hurt the Jets can not cut him to avoid paying him his guarantee. However he does not have a skill guarantee so once he is deemed fit to play football the Jets could cut him at any point with no financial penalty besides the dead cap charge (which is pretty significant over the course of the deal). Brick could be cut through February. Once February hits his entire guarantee kicks in. That should protect him for the next few years unless he gets seriously injured. JMO, but Mangold got the better deal and will be in a position to see more money if things dont continue as planned for both guys, but neither contract protects from being cut if Woody decides to drastically slash payroll for 2011.

It's entirely possible. D'Brick is now overpaid. He looks good when he has a solid guard next to him, and not so good when he doesn't. When the Jets are looking to sign Edwards, Holmes, and maybe Cromartie next year, they could very well revisit the season Brick had in 2010 in determining where they look for some of the money. That option will be available to them. The option to cut Mangold isn't.

Is this post meant to be taken seriously?

The Jets are really going to cut DBrick after the 2010 season and take the massive cap hit with no one to play LT.

Slats, you're my boy and all, but your post above is utterly shocking. I can't comment further without laying an insult. I'm just shocked.

You're saying that there is a possibility that the Jets cut DBrick, the starting LT, after 1 yr to re-sign a WR or No. 2 CB. WOW

Because unlike all the other major sports leagues, NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed. So players want those guarantees written in. The "skill" guarantee protects them from being arbitrarily cut. Traditionally, large bonus payouts helped protect a player from getting cut. In lieu of those, guarantees are the next best thing.

Is it likely? Probably not.

But tell me this: why would the Jets bother writing his contract in such a way if it hadn't occurred to them that having the ability to cut him cleanly next February could possibly work to their advantage? What sense does it make for them to not just write those guarantees in from the start -like Mangold's- unless they saw a potential reason for not doing so?

Just a guess on my part is that the Jets are cash poor right now. Despite the constant harping by Mike Florio that the NFL only requires teams to fund fully guaranteed salary, the CBA actually states that the NFL decision to force a team to fund a contract is based strictly on a skill guarantee as they specifically state injury guarantees do not require funding until the player is actually injured. Perhaps Florio is correct that the NFL thus far only requires fully guaranteed deals to be funded, but even if that is the case the NFL could change their mind whenever they want on the subject. By holding off on earning the guarantees until February the Jets escape any chance of putting money into an escrow account until a much later date, one potentially deep into 2011 if there is a lockout.

Is this post meant to be taken seriously?

The Jets are really going to cut DBrick after the 2010 season and take the massive cap hit with no one to play LT.

Slats, you're my boy and all, but your post above is utterly shocking. I can't comment further without laying an insult. I'm just shocked.

You're saying that there is a possibility that the Jets cut DBrick, the starting LT, after 1 yr to re-sign a WR or No. 2 CB. WOW

I hear you, but answer me this from above:

[W]hy would the Jets bother writing his contract in such a way if it hadn't occurred to them that having the ability to cut him cleanly next February could possibly work to their advantage? What sense does it make for them to not just write those guarantees in from the start -like Mangold's- unless they saw a potential reason for not doing so?

I don't expect it, but I find the fact that the Jets purposely wrote the contract that way to be intriguing.

Just a guess on my part is that the Jets are cash poor right now. Despite the constant harping by Mike Florio that the NFL only requires teams to fund fully guaranteed salary, the CBA actually states that the NFL decision to force a team to fund a contract is based strictly on a skill guarantee as they specifically state injury guarantees do not require funding until the player is actually injured. Perhaps Florio is correct that the NFL thus far only requires fully guaranteed deals to be funded, but even if that is the case the NFL could change their mind whenever they want on the subject. By holding off on earning the guarantees until February the Jets escape any chance of putting money into an escrow account until a much later date, one potentially deep into 2011 if there is a lockout.

That's very interesting. You're the man on these matters, Jason.

I hear you, but answer me this from above:

I don't expect it, but I find the fact that the Jets purposely wrote the contract that way to be intriguing.

You do realize that it was reported that the Jets offered DBrick a choice between the injury guarantee and the skill guarantee, right? DBrick chose the skill guarantee. The reason, in all likelihood, is that he was confident (as he should be) that he won't be cut in 2010 so then his guarantees would kick in after the season.

You do realize that it was reported that the Jets offered DBrick a choice between the injury guarantee and the skill guarantee, right? DBrick chose the skill guarantee. The reason, in all likelihood, is that he was confident (as he should be) that he won't be cut in 2010 so then his guarantees would kick in after the season.

Jason gave an interesting reply. You, not so much. laugh.gif

Outside of being cash poor and unwilling to escrow the money now, there's no reason to not have those guarantees kick in the moment he signs his contract - unless they want to have the option to cut him before they kick in available.

Outside of being cash poor and unwilling to escrow the money now, there's no reason to not have those guarantees kick in the moment he signs his contract - unless they want to have the option to cut him before they kick in available.

Let me ask you something. Is there some unwritten law that a player who is considered the best or one of the best at his position be the highest paid?

I don't have the figures, but I'm willing to bet there are plenty of players at their respective positions that are considered better than a player at that same position and gets paid less...right or wrong?

:D

Of course, I agree with Jason on that. But it was reported that DBrick was offered a choice and he chose skill.

I just think your "guarantees kick in" argument is irrelevant because there is ZERO chance DBrick is not on the roster on 2/15/11.

So. Looks like another day will pass by huh? Another day, where even if he comes back, he'll need that much longer to get into "football" shape huh?

I don't know what's bothering me more right now, this or the questions and worries I have about the QB.

I'd worry about the QB...he has his hands on the ball more than MEvis. ;)

Let me ask you something. Is there some unwritten law that a player who is considered the best or one of the best at his position be the highest paid?

I don't have the figures, but I'm willing to bet there are plenty of players at their respective positions that are considered better than a player at that same position and gets paid less...right or wrong?

Gee, I don't think there is a law. Hmmm...

Not that I've actually said that anyone should be the highest paid player at his position, but you go right ahead and feel free to attribute anything you want to me. That seems to be popular around here. rolleyes.gif

:D

Of course, I agree with Jason on that. But it was reported that DBrick was offered a choice and he chose skill.

I just think your "guarantees kick in" argument is irrelevant because there is ZERO chance DBrick is not on the roster on 2/15/11.

Okay...

But D'Brick is the most overrated player -at the most overvalued position- on this football team; and someday, someone is liable to catch on. Could happen when a bunch of contracts come due next year. You never know. Chances are definitely better than zero, IMHO.

Gee, I don't think there is a law. Hmmm...

Not that I've actually said that anyone should be the highest paid player at his position, but you go right ahead and feel free to attribute anything you want to me. That seems to be popular around here. rolleyes.gif

I'm just asking, and admit a bit sarcastically because we all (no matter what profession) think we should be paid more. I'm sure a cop in Beverly HIlls gets paid more then the cop in Manhattan...doesn't make it right, but that's just the way it is. Maybe MEvis can work a deal out with another team that will pay him what he thinks he's worth...perhaps Al Davis would be willing to work a deal.

But to get serious to the point I was trying to make in the earlier post, I'm sure there are plenty of players in the league considered better at their position and not being compensated for it. At least in their own little world.

Okay...

But D'Brick is the most overrated player -at the most overvalued position- on this football team; and someday, someone is liable to catch on. Could happen when a bunch of contracts come due next year. You never know. Chances are definitely better than zero, IMHO.

Agreed. I'm sure Faneca thought he'd still be here, too. I remember when Lisa Zimmerman reported that Faneca was likely to get cut--this was last March--Twitter absolutely blew up with Jets fans calling her crazy. Now, obviously Brick's situation isnt the same as Faneca's, but I'm sure he'll be holding his breath if he misses a few games this year and/or gives up more than his share of cheap sacks.

Agreed. I'm sure Faneca thought he'd still be here, too. I remember when Lisa Zimmerman reported that Faneca was likely to get cut--this was last March--Twitter absolutely blew up with Jets fans calling her crazy. Now, obviously Brick's situation isnt the same as Faneca's, but I'm sure he'll be holding his breath if he misses a few games this year and/or gives up more than his share of cheap sacks.

that's a long way to go to criticize the jets FO

newsflash;

they aren't run by steve gutman anymore

D'Brick is the most overrated player -at the most overvalued position- on this football team

The anti-Revis sentiment has been trending retarded for a while now, so I can get on board with a lot of your arguments. But you're really not doing yourself any favors here.

i watch Dbrick as close as any1 he's already given up 2 or 3 atrocious sacks this preseason. Everette Brown basically owned his a$$. So let's not put him in the same convo as Revis. He's a very good player he's not great... he's still got alot to work on... and yes it's a far greater than zero percent chance the Jets find a cheaper option at some point. Revis is arugably a GOAT at his position. Dbrick upside is Lomas Brown.

i watch Dbrick as close as any1 he's already given up 2 or 3 atrocious sacks this preseason. Everette Brown basically owned his a$$. So let's not put him in the same convo as Revis. He's a very good player he's not great... he's still got alot to work on... and yes it's a far greater than zero percent chance the Jets find a cheaper option at some point. Revis is arugably a GOAT at his position. Dbrick upside is Lomas Brown.

You callled that from the second we drafted him, btw. You made a great point that he seemed like a guy who was too smart to be a great offensive lineman, or something to that effect, that he'd lacl a killer instinct. Spot on, imo. Still, he should be a Jet for ten years. Even better than average LT's are impossible to find.

Agree with everything you say here regarding Brick. Heck, at this point Jason Fabini was a better tackle and what was he a third round pick?

However......... using the acronym GOAT and the name Revis in the same sentence is absurd. Let him string together 6-7-8 years of play like he did last season and then it may start to make sense. Revis could be great or a one hit wonder. If things stay as is I hope he takes a hike and we get picks.

d'brick better wait until february to puff up and turd out

Okay...

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Okay...

Get a grip, Slats. The chances are no way better than zero.

Your point is patently idiotic. Seriously. I'm stunned you persist on this point.

According to Jason's website the cap hit in cutting DBrick in 2011 is $33 million.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary11.html

Please, stop.

Archived